Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfiFFYpOB9Y&t=623s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Where can I buy one?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Aside from taking up valuable oven space, having an in stovetop pressure cooker is a super cool idea. I would love that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
lmao they have to spend 30 seconds addressing why it’s a man in the kitchen talking about appliances and it amounts to blaming an off-camera woman for being histronic about her perm

jesus christ

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

so um, is a 3 L instant pot big enough for two people or should I spring for a 6 L? asking for a friend.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

GrAviTy84 posted:

so um, is a 3 L instant pot big enough for two people or should I spring for a 6 L? asking for a friend.

You can still only fill them like 2/3 full, right? I'd prefer the option to have more leftovers than that, or be able to cook for more people, personally.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Get the 6.

My wife and I have been trying various grains lately. We've both fallen head over heels for farro, and had some millet last night. Millet is okay...it's kind of like quinoa. Didn't have much flavor of its own, just whatever it absorbed from the bean broth I cooked it in. Chopped up a bunch of dill and feta and mixed it all in with some lemon juice, overall it was delicious. Probably because of the cheese.

Oh yeah, also, we bought some saffron this weekend but have never used it before. What's the best first exposure dish to make using some?

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 17, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Farro and millet are the tits. Here is my favorite recipe for each:

Farro: http://keeprecipes.com/recipe/howtocook/kale-salad-2
Millet: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/millet-scallion-pancakes

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Get the 6.

My wife and I have been trying various grains lately. We've both fallen head over heels for farro, and had some millet last night. Millet is okay...it's kind of like quinoa. Didn't have much flavor of its own, just whatever it absorbed from the bean broth I cooked it in. Chopped up a bunch of dill and feta and mixed it all in with some lemon juice, overall it was delicious. Probably because of the cheese.

Oh yeah, also, we bought some saffron this weekend but have never used it before. What's the best first exposure dish to make using some?

paella if you can swing it.

Make sure to bloom the saffron in hot water before you use it. Some people crush it up in a mortar and pestle too, but basically you need to steep it a bit before you put it in a dish to make sure you get the most flavor out of it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wroughtirony posted:

paella if you can swing it.

Make sure to bloom the saffron in hot water before you use it. Some people crush it up in a mortar and pestle too, but basically you need to steep it a bit before you put it in a dish to make sure you get the most flavor out of it.

Good call. A Spanish-flavoured rice pudding is also very good with saffron.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Since coming here to Vegas, I have eaten and drank so well. It's really phenomenal, living here everyday, with all of the choices available. I'm working out every day too,and still not dropping weight.

Tonight's pleasant surprise: eating on invitation with others at a Chinese buffet and finding, amid the king pao chicken, a ton of delicious super authentic stuff with a heavy emphasis on soups, greens, and seafood.

Best experience so far, though, was getting drunk on absinthe at downtown cocktails and then getting late night tacos at gordo.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 19, 2018

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Wiggles: Doing Vegas Right.

Have you hit Chada Street and Chada Thai yet? They both deserve visits. Also Raku, Raku Sweets, and Zen Japanese Curry since they're all in the same parking complex.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Chada is so tempting, but it's across from fuku burger and I can't say no to those jazz fries.

Been to both rakus a couple of times, and it's legit the best Japanese food I've ever had. The tofu at raku omg hom nom nom.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ibogost/status/938222917556625408

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can't argue with that kind of ironclad logic

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
did I ever post about my vegas outings? they were pretty good, thanks for the tips. raku didn't suck.

went to chubby cattle, that poo poo was awesome.

e. was a solid A

a few other places were also solid but probably not worth mentioning. vegas food is pretty good mang

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I feel like this is some kind of golden age of Vegas restaurant dining or something. You can get nearly anything at almost any price point or level of fussiness. The Strip still has some old guard mega-expensive destination restaurants, plus a few others that manage to avoid the "we have a celebrity chef's name on our wall to attract Food Network fans but our food sucks" norm. Off-Strip is a blend of first-, second-, and third-generation locally trained chefs with a ton of talent and access to great ingredients. And for the fast food crowd, we've got In-n-Out, Steak n Shake, Five Guys, White Castle, Smash Burger, Fundamentalist Chicken, and almost any other cult favorite. Plus a few local spots that are worth a drat, and the first US outposts of Tacos el Gordo, along with Jollibee and a few other Filipino favorites.

We're weak on Indian food, Middle Eastern stuff (though I did just find a pretty amazing Persian spot), and Sichuan. But that's about it. It's pretty remarkable how quickly this town's grown up from slob buffets and Robouchon-or-bust.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Vegas food is hitting a really good groove. I finally was able to hit Esther's Kitchen in the Arts District. Super loving good all around, great atmosphere. James Trees is killing it. Definitely going back for happy hour for as much wine and bread as I can handle.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

All true. This is becoming one of the best places in the world to eat. Or to cook! The number of specialty shops available to the home cook is fantastic.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm gonna regret this because it's 6am and this is a poor decision, but you're all cordially invited to my food discord channel.

https://discord.gg/ZfFqpuw

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
RIP, Paul Bocuse.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42758189

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I'm gonna regret this because it's 6am and this is a poor decision, but you're all cordially invited to my food discord channel.

https://discord.gg/ZfFqpuw

lol

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I just made a super simple sauce after sauteing some fish and its so easy but good and I feel fancy and what the gently caress have I been doing why havent I tried this before??

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pro starcraft loser posted:

I just made a super simple sauce after sauteing some fish and its so easy but good and I feel fancy and what the gently caress have I been doing why havent I tried this before??

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCjnUt88xg&t=19s

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Nah, much more basic. I've been using this as a guide and just winging it. Did chicken tonight!

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-make-pan-sauce-step-by-step-kitchen-olympics-article

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I use almost exclusively cast iron; what does "reacting" with acidic ingredients taste like in a final sauce? I've made countless pan sauces in cast iron and haven't noticed any unpleasant flavors.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

I use almost exclusively cast iron; what does "reacting" with acidic ingredients taste like in a final sauce? I've made countless pan sauces in cast iron and haven't noticed any unpleasant flavors.

It's more of an issue for long braises or sauces, not a pan sauce. All the complaints I"ve seen have been with things like a long simmered tomato sauce and it ending up tasting a bit metallic.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

After resetting and building up a perfect seasoning on my cast iron over months, I came home once to see my kids happily eating some pasta with "bolognese" sauce.

As I looked around, I saw my cast iron on the stove. "Hm, honey? Where did you cook that sauce?", My wife's eyes opened wide "Oh poo poo! Sorry!". The pan was bare metal again. To me, that sauce tasted of despair.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My cast iron has a pretty bomb-proof seasoning. I've cooked tomatoes in it and it had no problem. Maybe I got spoiled, but I decided to make ginger chicken with extra tomatoes in my carbon steel and it ripped off like a third of the seasoning:

It took me a lot more work to get a seasoning onto my carbon steel than it did on my bare cast irons, so maybe carbon steel just inherently doesn't hold onto seasoning as well.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I don't have tomato problems in my cast iron, either. I've done really long simmers, and nothing happens, no metallic flavor, no seasoning damage.

Frankly I think it's only a problem if your pan isn't actually seasoned. When you wipe it with a dry paper towel, nothing should come off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Maybe I'm not using enough acid. I've done some 2-3 hour braises with tomato paste in the liquid, but I've been lucky so far.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Frankly I think it's only a problem if your pan isn't actually seasoned. When you wipe it with a dry paper towel, nothing should come off.
I don't know, that's what I thought I had. Stripped with oven cleaning cycle, followed by several rounds of heat pan, add fat, wipe off fat, bake pan. Cleaned it after every use, soap when needed, a paper towel would come off clean. Omelettes would slide off the pan, but after that bolognese sauce even butter stuck to it. :shrug:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I dunno man. Really, no idea. Sounds like you had a well seasoned pan.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
using acid in a cast iron is like playing russian roulette: why the gently caress are you doing it

yeah maybe you have perfect seasoning, but the chance of something happening to decent seasoning like what happened to steve yun is just totally not worth it.

I've had some cast iron pans that never gave me problems with acid, and then two times I've had cast iron pans ruined due to a long simmer wine/tomato sauce type deal - it ruined the food too because it tasted like metallic garbage. shame me once, shame me twice, I'm never making that dumb mistake again

it's not like you're gaining anything from cast iron really, so just use a different pan if you're going high acid / long cook time imo.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

it's not like you're gaining anything from cast iron really, so just use a different pan if you're going high acid / long cook time imo.

srsly, cast iron is super overused round these parts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a cast iron dutch oven for bread and a cast iron pan for primarily pizza.

What I'm saying is that it's really only used for bread in my house.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

that's what i got

edit: anyone is welcome to buy me an alternative braising instrument, of course, as to save me from my folly

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 24, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cast iron: good for

cheesy grits

Crispy Persian rice cake

Searing meats!

Poorly lit fritatta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Cast iron: good for

cheesy grits

Crispy Persian rice cake

Searing meats!

Poorly lit fritatta!

I mean, these are all fine but I'd rather teflon the frittata and grits because they're not high heat anyway and will release a lot easier and carbon steel the searing and tahdig because faster temperature response and control.