Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Holy poo poo. I have never been more full or more content. I love House of Prime Rib.

I can't even imagine what your body is digesting right now, that must have been an tasty experience.

Regardless, you missed out on some bomb pizzas.

A friend of mine showing my margherita -

Chris Decker making some tasty pies -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squash blossoms are pro as gently caress

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hell yeah that looks great.

ogopogo posted:

I can't even imagine what your body is digesting right now, that must have been an tasty experience.

So, when your order the Henry VIII cut, it comes with unlimited extra slices of meat. As someone who has been loosing weight and completely changed my eating habits, that was both wonderful and awful.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 2, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

Cross posting this here:

I guarantee you that toaster oven doesn't actually turn on unless you scan a valid QR / barcode.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hell yeah that looks great.

So, when your order the Henry VIII cut, it comes with unlimited extra slices of meat. As someone who has been loosing weight and completely changed my eating habits, that was both wonderful and awful.

:randvince:

Good lord. That would be on par with AYCE KBBQ for my personal kryptonite. They'd be wheeling me out in a stretcher.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Everyone knows about meat sweats, but I reckon you got some meat rash after all that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Like, meat coma....

Still recovering.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That’s why the HOPR is an SF standard.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anthony Bourdain dead at 61. Suicide. Not much news on it other than that yet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Aw the original cooks tour and whatever the travel channel version was were some of my favs. I just may have to watch whatever that CNN one was.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
This blows. It's had me bummed all morning. He's one of my favorite presenters.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It really sucks.

Bourdain travelled the world, ate delicious food, and did mountains of cocaine. He was everything I wanted to be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This one really hurts. I've looked up to Bourdain for basically my entire adult life. I'm going to miss his work and his perspective.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Aw the original cooks tour and whatever the travel channel version was were some of my favs. I just may have to watch whatever that CNN one was.

The CNN show is basically just a continuation of what he did on the Travel Channel, by which I mean it's really good. Working with CNN let him go to some places he wouldn't have been able to otherwise. It also follows the trajectory that No Reservations (the Travel Channel show) was following, which was to more and more use food to talk about people and culture, rather than keeping the focus on the food itself. It's a great show. Eight seasons on Netflix, too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jennyyangtv/status/1005094188898123776

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I figure he had something terminal and wanted to go out on top. He had a great girlfriend, was rich and famous, and knew it wasn't going to get much better. So he ended it in a town he loved after hanging out with his best friend.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I figure he had something terminal and wanted to go out on top. He had a great girlfriend, was rich and famous, and knew it wasn't going to get much better. So he ended it in a town he loved after hanging out with his best friend.

I had the same train of thought I guess. A bunch of my cook/cheffy chef friends & I all used to get together and jam out a bunch of dishes on our nights off with no reservations or whatever playing in the background, talking about how lucky the guy was to be at a place where he could travel the world over cooking, eating & drinking with friends and writing about the experience. I thought the dude had it made, despite his archetypal start in the industry :(

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe? Possible? But he was pretty open about the fact that he struggled with thoughts of depression and suicide. He literally said in an interview just a few years ago that his daughter was the thing that kept him from throwing himself off a cliff.

Like, depression doesn't care how rich or famous you are and it lies about things like the love people have for you. It also seems possible that it was "How can I be in my favorite town with my best friend and I still feel this despair - if I can't be happy here there's no hope for me."

Depression is a lying bitch is all I'm saying. He was good for the world and I'm sad he's gone.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

e: better q for the other thread

For content, I will say that losing Bourdain really loving sucks. He had a down-to-earth, frank and honest personality and view of the world that made learning about food and the people that make it a lot easier to empathize with than I've seen many other people try to do.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/13/anthony-bourdains-moveable-feast

quote:

Finally, Bourdain sought out a French doctor, who gave him a battery of painkillers and anti-inflammatories. After impulsively swallowing a week’s supply, Bourdain realized that he had not eaten in thirty-six hours. He drove to a café in a nearby town, Arcachon, and ordered spaghetti and a bottle of Chianti. He was halfway through the wine when he realized that he was sweating through his clothes. Then he blacked out.

When he woke up, Bourdain was lying with his feet in the café and his head in the street. A waiter was rifling through his pockets, in search of a driver’s license, as if to identify a corpse. Bourdain’s father had died suddenly, at fifty-seven, from a stroke, and Bourdain often thinks about dying; more than once, he told me that, if he got “a bad chest X-ray,” he would happily renew his acquaintance with heroin. Taking meds and booze on an empty stomach was just a foolish mistake, but it left him shaken. He stood up, reassured the startled onlookers, drove back to the villa, and immediately wrote a long e-mail to Nancy Putkoski.

When I asked him what he wrote, Bourdain paused and said, “The sort of thing you write if you, you know, thought you were going to die. ‘I’m loving sorry. I’m sure I’ve acted like I wasn’t.’ We’ve had very little contact—you know, civil, but very, very little. ‘I’m sorry. I know that doesn’t help. It won’t fix it, there’s no making amends. But it’s not like I don’t remember. It’s not like I don’t know what I’ve done.’ ”

I've been doing a lot of reading about and by Bourdain since yesterday. This article is one of the better ones but this part makes me very uncomfortable now because it reminds me of a guy from college who "accidentally" drove his car into a lightpost a few months before he hanged himself. In retrospect it seems like there were signs this could happen but nobody really seemed to see it coming.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Donkey posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/13/anthony-bourdains-moveable-feast

I've been doing a lot of reading about and by Bourdain since yesterday. This article is one of the better ones but this part makes me very uncomfortable now because it reminds me of a guy from college who "accidentally" drove his car into a lightpost a few months before he hanged himself. In retrospect it seems like there were signs this could happen but nobody really seemed to see it coming.

Multiple failed marriages (with a bucketload of infidelity) coupled with a history of substance abuse and a self-claimed history of depression are all warning signs. I was never quite comfortable that he continued drinking after kicking the harder stuff.

As someone who has watched his own blood flowing from his wrists upon feeling there was nothing left to live for--before then screaming for my then-wife to help me out of the bathtub and get me to the hospital--I know all too well what it's like to just feel utterly alone despite having a hundred people around you trying to help.

I just hope against hope that if there is an afterlife, Bourdain, and everyone else who takes their own lives, finds some level of peace.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So this place is pretty dead.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

This thread, or all of SA?

Well, my free Penzeys box finally came two weeks ago... not too many surprises, most of it is stuff I've bought at Penzey's before.

That said, I love the Florida Seasoned Pepper. Not an item that I ever would have bought on my own, but it's yummy. I've been keeping it on the table, and sprinkling on random things. Yum!
"Hand-mixed from: Tellicherry black pepper, lemon peel, orange peel, citric acid, garlic and onion."

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
SA in general is but man GWS is so quiet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Bourdain in general and that last post in particular are hard to follow.

Everyone post your favorite Penzey's stuff, I love their roasted garlic and toasted onion. Florida seasoned pepper isn't on my top 10 list but it's good on fish!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I've recently fallen in love with Penzey's Northwoods Fire blend.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Penzey's super fancy black peppercorns are amazing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Why are you buying spices from Penzey's? Buy a TasteTro and have an endless variety of spice mixes at your fingertips!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00t50uHS68k

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Northwood is good for roast veggies too. Fantastic on brussels. The Cajun is probably good on em too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I've never bought anything from Penzeys but then I have like 30 Indian groceries close by making spices easy to get.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Croatoan posted:

SA in general is but man GWS is so quiet.

Run an ICSA

Post a thread about mormon honey making

Be the change we believe in

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think literally all went to the many trump threads

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've never bought anything from Penzeys but then I have like 30 Indian groceries close by making spices easy to get.

I see this come up a lot, but I find outside of fresh things like fresh turmeric and curry leaves the quality at the various indian grocers near me leaves me wishing I'd just forked over the extra cash for Penzey's. Mostly stuff like telicherry blackpepper being barely distinguishable from malabar/generic black pepper and cumin/coriander seeds being noticeably old. Maybe its the younger than not group of people that shop at them, but the only product I can consistently buy and can tell it is fresh and hasn't died on the shelf is the rice, mixed powders and chili powders.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Sextro posted:

I see this come up a lot, but I find outside of fresh things like fresh turmeric and curry leaves the quality at the various indian grocers near me leaves me wishing I'd just forked over the extra cash for Penzey's. Mostly stuff like telicherry blackpepper being barely distinguishable from malabar/generic black pepper and cumin/coriander seeds being noticeably old. Maybe its the younger than not group of people that shop at them, but the only product I can consistently buy and can tell it is fresh and hasn't died on the shelf is the rice, mixed powders and chili powders.

When you have multiple Indian stores in a small area, it means that there's a ton of Indians in and out of those stores often enough that the store has excellent turnover rates. If you're talkin' one or two Indian stores in an entire town, your luck will vary. Go to the stores that are constantly busy, even on random week nights. Even if it means having to fight the crowds, it's worth it to know that there are people constantly forcing the store to restock its shelves. Take rice, for example. There's a chain of Middle Eastern grocery stores in California that have been pounding through like a couple of pallets (about 200 10-lb bags) a week. Compare that to my New Jersey guys, who only order like 10 pallets every couple of months. Of those stores that the distributor supplies to, I'm going to err on the side of shopping at the ones pounding through product the fastest, because I know that store has high demand for product. And sure enough, whenever I'm in that store, it's constantly busy.

Now compare THAT to the amount of product I move through the midwest, and the South. All of the Southeast (Florida up through North Carolina, and then out to Tennessee, and then down to Mississippi) is supplied from one supplier. All of the Midwest is one supplier (they're based in Chicago, and go to Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin). For such a huge area, I can count on maybe 10 - 12 pallets moving in 3 months. The population is just not that densely packed in.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Croatoan posted:

Say the word and I'll start a 20-40 page war over my overly puritanical adherence to USDA food safety regulations.

Did you know that serving any meat less than medium well is a federal crime?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Say the word and I'll start a 20-40 page war over my overly puritanical adherence to USDA food safety regulations.

Did you know that serving any meat less than medium well is a federal crime?

:argh:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scientastic posted:

Run an ICSA

Post a thread about mormon honey making

Be the change we believe in

I did the last two, and am going to do another eventually if nobody steps up. Probably going to be ICSA FERMENTATION.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I did the last two, and am going to do another eventually if nobody steps up. Probably going to be ICSA FERMENTATION.

Good theme, I like it!

I do buy most of my spices.at Indian markets, and mostly whole, too. But we've got a huge Indian population here in the Boston area, so freshness isn't an issue. I do sometimes end up throwing away the last bit in the bag, but only because the bags are huge. It's so cheap, who cares, chuck it when it gets old.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

try me motherfucker. your ingredients panel is using inappropriately non-monospace font. I will cut you.

(what is that text on your profile, is it your bitcoin wallet)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's probably a code used to verify his SA account for external systems like Discord servers. The 3rd party system will say "prove to me you really own account X by putting this code in your profile".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

try me motherfucker. your ingredients panel is using inappropriately non-monospace font. I will cut you.

(what is that text on your profile, is it your bitcoin wallet)

yes

BrianBoitano posted:

It's probably a code used to verify his SA account for external systems like Discord servers. The 3rd party system will say "prove to me you really own account X by putting this code in your profile".

or that