Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

"The good stuff". :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Force de Fappe posted:

"The good stuff". :colbert:
All menus must now list their foods as "not the garnish" and "ok to leave on the plate its chill we gucci"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Force de Fappe posted:

I wish people would stop calling the meat/fish/tofu/whatever part of a dish "protein", it's mildly gross.

That’s never occurred to me before, but now that you mention it, it still doesn’t.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

That’s never occurred to me before, but now that you mention it, it still doesn’t.

Agreed.

I actually like having the option to switch proteins, its the way Thai joints have done it for years. And it's inclusive of vegetarians and vegans.
Also, I'm a little autistic, so I really like overly-literal descriptions.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Squashy Nipples posted:

Agreed.

I actually like having the option to switch proteins, its the way Thai joints have done it for years. And it's inclusive of vegetarians and vegans.
Also, I'm a little autistic, so I really like overly-literal descriptions.

“Inclusive if vegetarians and vegans” should be a moral stance in restaurants. I know some cuisine isn’t this way, but I worked in restaurants long enough that my inner hospitalitarian chafes at not having more than one option for vegans that isn’t “the entree salad, but it’s sad”. Probably helps that I dated a vegan for a year and that my CCO is vegan and visits my market often for big ticket dinners.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bloody ghost titty posted:

“Inclusive if vegetarians and vegans” should be a moral stance in restaurants. I know some cuisine isn’t this way, but I worked in restaurants long enough that my inner hospitalitarian chafes at not having more than one option for vegans that isn’t “the entree salad, but it’s sad”. Probably helps that I dated a vegan for a year and that my CCO is vegan and visits my market often for big ticket dinners.

Story time! It was 2000, was 13, recently vegetarian, and we went on our yearly Colorado trip (Parents had a summer conference so free lodging. Nice.)

On our drive we always stopped at the little town of Twin Lakes:

Pictured: the one sit-down restaurant in town. Previously, it had been a hokey ski lodge style restaurant. Nothing fancy, but nicer than the gas station. The year in question, however, they had new management and a new chef, and were going for upscale fine dining.

To their credit, they had a vegetarian option: stuffed portabello. Unfortunately, that's the only vegetarian protein I don't like. We asked if they might be able to sub in a random side from another dish on the menu in lieu of the mushroom. The waitress took our request to the chef, and nope. Something about not splitting up ingredients which had been portioned out just so. My dad looked around the otherwise empty restaurant, said "isn't there some side you do have extra of you could use? Can you make some sort of special consideration?" At which point the chef came out to respond. Nope! Everything is planned and there will be no substitutions, thankyouverymuch. My dad chucked and asked something like "why, are they all frozen dinners you can't split up?"

The chef booted us out at that point. We ended up getting the baked brie we had already started into, no charge, and had sandwich and ice cream at the gas station.

They had new management and a new chef again the following year. Guess being picky when you only get a handful of customers per day doesn't work out well :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Eh.

If a place wants to offer vegan or vegetarian options, cool on them, but it's food service, not a loving right.

The last thing that will make for good food is places who have no real desire to offer vegan cuisine half-assing it to make the occasional corner case happy. If you want Thai, you go to a restaurant that serves it. You don't bitch that Pizza Hut doesn't have Thai options.

Yes, I have strong opinions on this because the last thing I ever wanted to gently caress with was serving a half-rear end not-burger that's been in the freezer for weeks just in case someone feels they need to order it. Accommodating allergies? I'll bend over backwards. Dietary preferences? Read the menu.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 23, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Liquid Communism posted:

Accommodating allergies? I'll bend over backwards. Dietary preferences? Read the menu.

You didn't listen to reason. You've forced me to go with plan B: blanket all major US cities with the Lone Star Tick. WE WILL NOT BE IGNORED!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Liquid Communism posted:

Eh.

If a place wants to offer vegan or vegetarian options, cool on them, but it's food service, not a loving right.

The last thing that will make for good food is places who have no real desire to offer vegan cuisine half-assing it to make the occasional corner case happy. If you want Thai, you go to a restaurant that serves it. You don't bitch that Pizza Hut doesn't have Thai options.

Yes, I have strong opinions on this because the last thing I ever wanted to gently caress with was serving a half-rear end not-burger that's been in the freezer for weeks just in case someone feels they need to order it. Accommodating allergies? I'll bend over backwards. Dietary preferences? Read the menu.

Nahh I disagree and I eat meat. Also, you should try morningstar burgers. They're really drat good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Reminds me of an ex, who ate meat, but when we are at a BBQ place with my friends (she wanted to go to a different one) decided to take a stand and get the vegan chili.

of course it tasted awful. like a morning star burger cut up

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Croatoan posted:

Also, you should try morningstar burgers. They're really drat good.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

of course it tasted awful. like a morning star burger cut up
I don't know what to believe anymore.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's simple.

This is good:

This is if a black bean had sex with a sponge and aborted the result:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fake meat is the saddest thing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Those new bloody fake meat patties are pretty good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I really like impossible burgs.

In other news, Madison is about to turn into water world.

Check out that water level overnight 21 Aug. I'm like 2 blocks north of that measurement point at the dam and I'm prepping my kayak to commute to work tomorrow.

I should have had a better dinner tonight, just in case that was my last meal. :rip:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Swim well and learn to love the taste of your own purified urine.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm quite happy to eat vegetarian, but gently caress fake meat. A vegan food truck showed up at my local brewery for an event and I was super excited to have their falafel burger because hell yeah, I love falafel.

...oh, sorry, we don't have the falafel burger. Would you like the vegan lamb gyro, or the vegan sausage with soyonaise?

So I went to the other food truck and had a burger and chili cheese fries. I hope the vegan chef knew how much animal blood was on her hands because she was too lazy to prep the only real food on her menu.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Swim well and learn to love the taste of your own purified urine.

Wait. You are supposed to purify it? I have been doing it wrong.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Morning star breakfast sausage patties actually make really good biscuits and gravy. Just gotta add in a little more fat with the flour.

I was surprised at how good it turned out.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

Morning star breakfast sausage patties actually make really good biscuits and gravy. Just gotta add in a little more fat with the flour.

I was surprised at how good it turned out.

Yup, I've done that too. So savory!

And while I would never buy them myself, the "chicken" nuggets are pretty good too. Most children and grown-ups who eat like children wouldn't know the difference.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

BrianBoitano posted:

It's simple.

This is good:

This is if a black bean had sex with a sponge and aborted the result:

Yeah I forgot. You are 100% right. The "Grillers" or "Prime Grillers" are really good. I had a morningstar chickpea burger that tasted like mushy poo poo.

Liquid Communism posted:

I only agree when they try to play something off as something it's not. Vegan "bacon" or vegan "cheese" are complete poo poo. On the flipside, nutritional yeast is great as a topping for things like popcorn or pork rinds and it tastes pretty cheesy but gently caress if I'm gonna call it "cheese". Just be your own thing instead of trying to emulate something you can't. I think Dino made this point once and I totally agree. The exception for me really is those morningstar griller burgers. If I didn't know it wasn't beef I would have assumed it was. It's not mind blowing but it's about as good as other frozen burger patties. Oh and they have pretty good "chicken" patties for chicken sandwiches.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 24, 2018

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
The serious eats black-bean burger recipe is good. I periodically make a large batch with extra serranos and cotija and freeze in ziplock bag portions. Pan fry dusted with cornmeal.

The protein term does gross me out a little - it's the implied interchangeability, another step to obfuscate the source. I don't expect anyone else to see it that way though.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 24, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

sweat poteto posted:

The serious eats black-bean burger recipe is good. I periodically make a large batch with extra serranos and cotija and freeze in ziplock bag portions. Pan fry dusted with cornmeal.

:same: the cashew chunks are a nice touch.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I learned that chip buttys are pretty much the greatest drunk food ever. Makes sense. Greasy, salty and sweet all in one. Also hearty potatoes are great anyway when drunk.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm gonna try the Beyond Burger and report back this weekend. Bitches better be ready to hear more about plant based meat.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Croatoan posted:

I'm gonna try the Beyond Burger and report back this weekend. Bitches better be ready to hear more about plant based meat.
I hate them. I don't know what it is, but Beyond Burgers set my gag reflex going off. Back when I lived in Australia, my favorite veg-alternative was NotBurgers, which taste loving nothing like a burger and more like one of those Subway vegetable patties; it's not great, but at least it's something. Every time I go through a period of eating vegetarian, I go through a bunch of fake burgers and hotdogs and hate them all before going back to doing good poo poo that isn't trying to be something it's not.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Beyond burgers suck. Impossible burg or bust.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
My favourite vegetarian alternative to burgers (and by far the most common one here) is a slab of fried halloumi, which tastes nothing like meat and is delicious in its own right

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I found myself in the position of operating a second restaurant that is a primarily vegetarian/vegan cafe and my first rule was no fake meat no fake cheese

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Yeah I forgot. You are 100% right. The "Grillers" or "Prime Grillers" are really good. I had a morningstar chickpea burger that tasted like mushy poo poo.

I only agree when they try to play something off as something it's not. Vegan "bacon" or vegan "cheese" are complete poo poo. On the flipside, nutritional yeast is great as a topping for things like popcorn or pork rinds and it tastes pretty cheesy but gently caress if I'm gonna call it "cheese". Just be your own thing instead of trying to emulate something you can't. I think Dino made this point once and I totally agree. The exception for me really is those morningstar griller burgers. If I didn't know it wasn't beef I would have assumed it was. It's not mind blowing but it's about as good as other frozen burger patties. Oh and they have pretty good "chicken" patties for chicken sandwiches.

Exactly. I actually enjoy tofu in a lot of dishes, and black bean is good on it's own.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I still have a fondness for just the plain old Gardenburger. It helps that it doesn't try to replace the taste or texture of meat at all. I've never actually tried the vegan version, though.

Maybe it's just nostalgia for when I was broke as hell and working at subway and trying to maximize my nutrition on the company dime.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Beyond burgers suck. Impossible burg or bust.

Truth. Impossible Burger is really good.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Waci posted:

My favourite vegetarian alternative to burgers (and by far the most common one here) is a slab of fried halloumi, which tastes nothing like meat and is delicious in its own right

I miss cheap haloumi so much :( Just can't do it at :10bux:

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yup, I've done that too. So savory!

And while I would never buy them myself, the "chicken" nuggets are pretty good too. Most children and grown-ups who eat like children wouldn't know the difference.

*Were pretty good. :(
They changed something about them and they just don't taste the same anymore. Found this out like 2 days ago.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Drink and Fight posted:

Truth. Impossible Burger is really good.

I can buy Beyond Burger at my grocery store. Impossible Burgers seem to be restaurant only?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
They just bought a production facility so its about to spread to more markets, they were super limited before.

Still weird that it’s marketed as a burg that “bleeds” cuz what comes from a cooked burg isn’t blood but whatevs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

They just bought a production facility so its about to spread to more markets, they were super limited before.

Still weird that it’s marketed as a burg that “bleeds” cuz what comes from a cooked burg isn’t blood but whatevs.

And that bleeding is what’s appealing? It’s not a selling point to me at all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

And that bleeding is what’s appealing? It’s not a selling point to me at all.

I think that “bleeding” is what gives the flavor, it’s some sort of myoglobin analogue from algae or something.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Welp they were out of the Beyond Burger so I made a regular burger. It tasted like beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The burg that hemes!