Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

A fancy food store owned by a disgusting groper, a racist and a woman who enslaved a house maid.

Well gently caress, when you put it that way...

therattle posted:

Are those all the same person? I didn’t realise the Trump empire extended to foods.

Three different people! Although two are mother and son.

https://ny.eater.com/2017/12/11/16759540/mario-batali-sexual-misconduct-allegations
http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/01/joe-bastianich-racist-sexist-comments-masterchef-video.html
https://nypost.com/2011/08/18/celebrity-chef-lidia-bastianich-enslaved-employee-lawsuit-charges/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I went to the eataly in la before the batali stuff came out and it was real nice, but i haven't been back since. it's such a shame, sometimes you want to waste some money on googaws the local italian grocery doesn't carry

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They were just discontinuing a bunch of pasta tools that were originally like $20, down to $2.50. I don't feel guilty about buying something they're taking that kind of loss on :shrug:

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

MC - congrats
FGR - sort of congrats?

I feel bad sharing news after that stuff but I got married to my best friend a couple of weeks ago. It's good!

Not to be a dick, but man, you marry and divorce pretty quickly. Have you considered slowing down the relationship train?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Um, huh?

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 15, 2018

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Let's see, oh, GWS, haven't been in a while, lemmecheckrealquick...hrm, still the same old chat thread since 2013 ... what the waaahh, 750 pages? Yeah, I'm just gonna assume you've all now interbred and intermarried and interdivorced and interpr0k's mom'd. Hi.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons, even pr0k's mom may get off the couch.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Can I just say that I'm super disappointed this forum isn't named dorks with sporks after the name change

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Can I just say that I'm super disappointed this forum isn't named dorks with sporks after the name change

me too, since you mention it

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I just had a pancake revelation. I added about a tablespoon of mawa powder to a single-egg batch. So good. It adds this creamy, rich, slightly tart, decadent flavor like cream cheese, and it softens the crumb. They do brown a little faster, so turn down the heat a bit.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just looked up mawa powder. Milk powder with fat included yeah?

Livestrong posted:

Milk mawa powder is also likely to have a different texture than regular milk powder. This is due to the fact that mawa powder may be curdled before it’s evaporated, giving it a final texture that’s rough or granulated. While nonfat milk powder and low-fat varieties can clump up in extended storage, they tend to be smoother and have smaller granules.

Looks like I'll try this with nonfat this weekend, adding some extra butter to counteract the lack of fat. Thanks!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It has a different flavor, but adding milk powder should be nice too. Try cultured butter or creme fraiche instead for the tanginess.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My wife’s usual breakfast is a gram flour pancake topped with tahini and malt syrup. I’m not wild about the pancakes but the topping is absolutely incredible. I have it on toast sometimes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Why the hell did the burg thread get locked? :argh:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Casu Marzu posted:

I was just wondering and could only assume that after the last picture posted it had no where to go but downhill from that heady height.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Someone realized people had just been posting warm sandwiches all along.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Casu Marzu posted:

I don't know, maybe my finger slipped last time I was on the thread. I reopened it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More things of interest for me. Anouva is down to 100bux. And I have 10% more off from Amazon Move. So gently caress it, I bought my sous-vizzle. Now I just need a Kitchenaid... which my mom promised to buy me one because she's nice like that. :3:

E - and I made my first doctor appointment in regards to transitioning.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 20, 2018

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Manuel Calavera posted:

More things of interest for me. Anouva is down to 100bux. And I have 10% more off from Amazon Move. So gently caress it, I bought my sous-vizzle. Now I just need a Kitchenaid... which my mom promised to buy me one because she's nice like that. :3:

E - and I made my first doctor appointment in regards to transitioning.

But what really matters: What are your opinions on beans in chili?

Do you. gently caress anyone who gets in the way of you being you. Love yourself. Do whatever you need to be you. But kidney beans in chili are bullshit

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

J33uk posted:

But kidney beans in chili are bullshit

Agreed stick with great northerns.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Croatoan posted:

Agreed stick with great northerns.

¿Porque no los dos?

Pintos and black beans are better.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I prefer my chili sans beans. But with is also valid. Just like me. :3:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm a light red kidney beans kind of person, if a chili is gonna have beans. Which is fine. It's also fine if it doesn't.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The Midniter posted:

I'm a light red kidney beans kind of person, if a chili is gonna have beans. Which is fine. It's also fine if it doesn't.

Most of the time I want to stretch the chili I make so I add beans. I like using scarlet emperor now. So big and creamy

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Midniter posted:

TBH I use a mix of light red kidney beans since they keep their texture well and the great northerns because they don't and make it kind of creamy. Beanless chili is fine it's just preferences.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I put kidney beans, black beans, garbonzo beans, and northern beans in my chili.

And corn.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My dad apparently puts lima beans in his? I didn't know this until I stopped by while he was doing prep a couple weeks ago and saw the bag of lima beans.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

totalnewbie posted:

I put kidney beans, black beans, garbonzo beans, and northern beans in my chili.

And corn.

Same. The serious eats vege chili recipe is great for a no effort, insanely delicious weeknight dinner.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Paging dino.!

My son (7) recently started eating dinner with us. He used to eat a lot of foods we ate but now whatever we cook has to work for him. For a 7-year-old he has a pretty adventurous palate, but he is 7. He doesn’t really like spicy heat so he’s never had the Indian food I make.

I just made us a red lentil dal for dinner. Having read dino.’s book and made a few versions I don’t use a recipe anymore: I just cooked cumin and mustard seeds until they popped, added an onion, then garlic, ginger, turmeric, and coriander*, then lentils and water. I served it with rice and turmeric- and cumin-roasted broccoli. The little fellow loved it.

Cooking for people is so satisfying, and cooking for my son, when he enjoys it, particularly so. I love knowing that I’ve made something tasty and nutritious and that he’s really liked eating it. (When he eats something he enjoys, which is often, he makes little noises of satisfaction, which we call happy eaty noises). Cooking good food for other people is profoundly gratifying on quite a deep level.

* I love your expression “blooming the spices”. It’s so evocative.

Oh man, everything about this post is so great. I’m thrilled to bits that you don’t even bother with a recipe for daal anymore. That’s the biggest compliment someone can pay me. Also, great on getting the little one eating variety. That’ll keep him in good standing all his life.

Also, I’m keeping an eye out for NoSmo posting about his family.

MC: good on you! Keep us posted. We’re pulling for you.

Wiggles: yay wedding. Share pics of the spread, please.

dino. fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 21, 2018

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks dino. You're one of the folk here I was kinda sorta hoping to hear positive feedback from. Your posts are the best. I gotta find my copy of your book so I can learn things. Cuz Indian is cheap and delicious.

And it'll impress any boys or girls I have visit to hang out. :3:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DOUBLE POST A DAY LATER.

Modernist Cuisine is half off on Amazon. I can't justify $90 on a book though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just spatchcocked, cooked, rested, parted out, and wrapped a turkey for tomorrow, in less then 2 hours. And had a full meal of picking off the carcass. Tomorrow I can make hella time and a half at work and not worry about getting dinner on the table :shittydog:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

DOUBLE POST A DAY LATER.

Modernist Cuisine is half off on Amazon. I can't justify $90 on a book though.

I thought you were talking about the regular Modernist Cuisine, not MC@H, being $90 on Amazon. It's still a killer deal, but I'm disappointed now...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My bad, sorry for the confusion.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

I just spatchcocked, cooked, rested, parted out, and wrapped a turkey for tomorrow, in less then 2 hours. And had a full meal of picking off the carcass. Tomorrow I can make hella time and a half at work and not worry about getting dinner on the table :shittydog:

Spatchcocking poultry is so great. Nice job on the efficiency.

My family is all getting together in Minneapolis for Thanksgiving, leaving me alone for the first time in ten years or so. I'm taking the opportunity to experiment with things I've been wanting to cook but haven't had the time. On the menu for tomorrow: ghormeh sabzi with goat and a caramel pear tart. Friday will be mapo tofu, using the recipe from Land of Plenty. Saturday I'm going to smoke a couple pounds of beef shank and make smoky osso bucco (mostly because, while house sitting, I have access to an awesome smoker and wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't use it for something). Sunday is hassenpfeffer.

Vegas folks: the Mob Museum is doing a Prohibition Repeal Day celebration at their speakeasy on December 5th. $99 per person, open bar, "heavy tray passed hors d’oeuvres," jazz band, etc. It looks like it'll be a pretty good time, especially if you care to go in costume (I don't, fat person clothes are expensive enough as it is). There are tickets still available if you're interested in doing a mini-drunken-goon-meet thing, possibly with dinner before (I suggest Esther's Kitchen).

Also Vegas folks: George Racz, the owner/founder of Las Vegas Distillery, passed away unexpectedly on Sunday. He was an amazing man. He moved from Hungary to the US, learned English while earning a film degree in New York, moved to Vegas, wrote the legislation that allows craft distilling in the state and guided it through the State Legistlature, and founded the LV Distillery in what would become the Henderson Booze District. He was a massive, towering man with an even bigger personality - a devoted father, fanatical consumer of all things locally crafted, and just a fuckin' hell of a guy. The cluster of three great breweries we have in Henderson wouldn't exist without him; hell, maybe none of them would individually. Those of us who knew him will miss him. He was also the distiller-in-residence at the Mob Museum, so I'm using this whole Repeal Day thing as an opportunity to pay him a little tribute while enjoying some of the product he poured his life into crafting.

e: Modernist Cuisine at Home is absolutely worth $90 to non-vegetarians. I'd caution those with dietary restrictions to reconsider, because like 85% of its content is meat-based. But it's really good content, with legendarily great photography.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 22, 2018

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bart send me the info on tickets - I'll be there.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My brother gave me MC@H, and it’s a great gift but my wife is a vegetarian. I’m thinking of selling it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

therattle posted:

My brother gave me MC@H, and it’s a great gift but my wife is a vegetarian. I’m thinking of selling it.

Keep the book, ditch the wife imo.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Same thing with The Food Lab and CI's The Science of Good Cooking :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Larousse Gastronomique is on sale for £22 in the UK Amazon.