Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Most Martha Stewart recipes I've tried are pretty drat good.

We make this one a lot https://www.marthastewart.com/339889/cod-with-leeks-and-tomatoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mikey Purp posted:

I usually do my cast iron seasoning in the oven but couldn't do that with this one due to the wooden handle.

The Midniter posted:

Oven self-cleaning cycle will burn that poo poo right off
Well he's not wrong.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mikey Purp posted:

Damnit, I figured. So any tips or tricks for stripping this thing, or do I just go at it with steel wool?

Steel wool can leave scratch marks that won't quite get filled in when you re-season. Not worth it imo.

Here's what I would do:
1. Put, empty, on burner on medium for 20 minutes to burn off as much as you can. Hope your vent fans are good.
2. Let cool
3. Easy-Off or other oven-cleaning spray the cook surface, try to avoid the wood. Place in trash bag, preferably outdoors b/c of fumes, for 24 hours
4. Soap & sponge, then dry on burner 5 minutes

They also sell copper wool which doesn't scratch carbon steel or cast iron, which is what I use after rough recipes. I'm still gentle with it, because if your seasoning isn't well polymerized or bonded to the metal you could still flake it off. I found mine in my supermarket cleaning supply aisle.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think there's some over-reaction going on. As is the sticky will eventually burn off with some use. For reference I've never seasoned carbon steel well.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Aren't you supposed to season it every time you use it anyway, just as part of the cooking process? Get it super hot, season, and then start cooking. Or is that just one specific technique?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Nm

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Steel wool can leave scratch marks that won't quite get filled in when you re-season. Not worth it imo.

Here's what I would do:
1. Put, empty, on burner on medium for 20 minutes to burn off as much as you can. Hope your vent fans are good.
2. Let cool
3. Easy-Off or other oven-cleaning spray the cook surface, try to avoid the wood. Place in trash bag, preferably outdoors b/c of fumes, for 24 hours
4. Soap & sponge, then dry on burner 5 minutes

They also sell copper wool which doesn't scratch carbon steel or cast iron, which is what I use after rough recipes. I'm still gentle with it, because if your seasoning isn't well polymerized or bonded to the metal you could still flake it off. I found mine in my supermarket cleaning supply aisle.

Good advice, I'll give this a shot.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Aren't you supposed to season it every time you use it anyway, just as part of the cooking process? Get it super hot, season, and then start cooking. Or is that just one specific technique?

It definitely accumulates seasoning as you use it, but as far as I know there's still a bit of initial seasoning you need to do to keep it nonstick and protected from rust.

I think if I wanted to I could probably get away with it the way it is, but I'm a perfectionist and the scratchy parts on the bottom make me nervous, like I didn't get all of the factory oils off or something.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Quote is not edit.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have more news. GOOD NEWS.

I have my first doctor appointment in three weeks. While I'm not expecting to get on HRT right away that quickly. It's still a first step. And omg AAAAAAAAA I'm so excited.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mikey Purp posted:

Did I gently caress up the seasoning on this carbon steel wok? I usually do my cast iron seasoning in the oven but couldn't do that with this one due to the wooden handle.
Wet down a side towel, wrap it around the handle, and then wrap the towel and handle with aluminum foil.

Just be careful and let it cool down when you're done unless you want to steam clean your hand.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grats!!!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Goddamn increasingly-demanding-family Christmas dinners.

Used to be 12 of us - everyone just ate whatever showed up in front of them.
Now we're down to 10 and we have
1 coeliac ( who is lovely and brings their own food and doesn't deserve to be lumped with the rest)
1 No dairy
1 Vegetarian (who is pretty flexible at Christmas)
1 Vegan (No-one really cares about the food, it's all about the gathering!!! (AKA hasn't actually cooked a meal for other people in about a decade)
and
1 'who doesn't really eat smoked salmon any more' - smoked salmon being the core element in our christmas starters for the last 20 or so years.

Gonna have a Christmas Scavenger Hunt - just making some signs pointing at the fridge, freezer and stove and leave the fuckers to get on with it.

I'll get sorted and it'll be fine, but the salmon thing on top of everything else is just really irritating me - this is not a restaurant, you don't get to place an order dear.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You should tell the non salmon eater to gently caress off

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

order mcdonalds

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Right now I'm thinking of doing a buffet to start the meal which will feature homemade wheaten bread, really good smoked salmon, the grimmest dairy-free/gluten-free/vegan mystery lumps I can manage, plus salad.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

How dare guests expect to be catered to? What the gently caress do they think this is, some sort of family event where everyone wants to be nice to each other?

Edit:

Pookah posted:

this is not a restaurant, you don't get to place an order dear.

No, but people are allowed to say that they don’t want certain things. Not having smoked salmon is really not that unreasonable. My mother-in-law doesn’t like offal, yet we somehow muddle through Christmas dinner without force-feeding her pâté.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 1, 2018

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Scientastic posted:

How dare guests expect to be catered to? What the gently caress do they think this is, some sort of family event where everyone wants to be nice to each other?

Edit:

No, but people are allowed to say that they don’t want certain things. Not having smoked salmon is really not that unreasonable. My mother-in-law doesn’t like offal, yet we somehow muddle through Christmas dinner without force-feeding her pâté.

Yeah, just going to double-check the food likes and dislikes (not aversions or allergies, just preferences) of each element in a 4 course meal for 10 people who have eaten together dozens of times before.

You're allowed not eat something you don't like, it's just slightly entitled to announce in advance that you suddenly don't like the thing that is probably the starter, so's there'd better be something else available.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Scientastic posted:

Edit:

i'm sure in the spirit of family they thoughtfully offered to bring a nice dish that matched their unique dietary need to take some of the workload off of their host

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kenji is well known for oversalting meat, but I've also had 2 SE recipes which had way too much cornstarch. If anyone wants to try the hot cocoa mix or the no-churn ice cream, cut the cornstarch in half.

The latter was a different contributor, but still.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Re: vegan starters. If you’re in the USA, dollar tree sells these frozen apps that take 0 effort to bung in the oven. Spring rolls, samosa, and one other thing that I’m blanking on. Olives are vegan. As are various nuts. Prolly wouldn’t hurt anything to have some kind of hummus situation. It’s relatively inexpensive to buy if you don’t wanna be bothered to faff about with the food processor. If you’re not in the USA, hit up the local Aldi. They’ve started a vegan line as of late, if I’m not mistaken.

If the gluten free person wants in on that action, they sell these little rice crackers in most stores I’ve seen that are gluten free. Worst comes to it, nip on down to the Aldi and see what’s on. For the vegetarian, make sure there is cheese to be had, as they will literally die of starvation if there isn’t cheese to be had in every meal. Can confirm, as I used to be vegetarian, and would get grumpy at having to eat vegan from time to time, because where the gently caress is the cheese, Cynthia.

No smoked salmon person had me rolling my eyes so hard that they were liable to roll out my head. Just don’t eat it then, Brenda. You’ll be fine. Non dairy person can plunder the vegan stuff. Vegetarian can plunder the vegan stuff, albeit with a load of cheese dumped on. If you’re doing mashed potatoes, I find that a 5-lb bag of potatoes is lovely with like 2-ish cups of coconut milk, a bit of chive, some garlic, good bit of salt, and pepper. Like you said salad is fairly straightforward. Probably wouldn’t hurt to have some kind of daal tarka situation. It’s basically a couple tablespoons of oil, some cumin seeds fried in the oil, and a tin of beans thrown in. I’d be shocked if it takes more than 5 minutes. Again that’ll sort out your vegan, dairy free, vegetarian (again, don’t forget the cheese), and the gluten free.

I don’t know if you were looking for suggestions, but hopeful,y you got a few that you can use.

Re: Manuel Calverra: Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! This is me flapping my hands around and squeeing with happiness for you. This must be such a lovely thing headed your way!

Re: cooking YouTube poo poo. So I’ve been watching a lot of It’s Alive with Brad Leone. He’s this mountain of a south jersey guy who’s working for Bon appetit magazine in their WTC office. Aside from having the absolute cutest dimples evar, he’s also a huge chatterbox who has some solid recipes for making various fermented foods. I’ve very much been enjoying all his videos, because he’s such a goofball.

Also, Simply Sara Kitchen. Solid recipes, if a bit grim at times, because she lives in west VA and sells MLM poo poo.

Also also anything with the Two Fat Ladies. Including a documentary with Clarissa: https://youtu.be/Snwh1RMGHQI
She’s such an old lady and I love her for it.

Also, this lady: https://youtu.be/3XOKmaElzqw

Also TS Maddison. Warning. NSFW af, because she has a bit of a sweary side. By which I mean a lot. Also, tends to wear very low cut tops. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx-67WwE9LvLIOU0thXjFPV5NT9U7ZWqn

Gita’s Kitchen is a South Indian lady who is scarily well organised and I’d like to be like her when I grow up. To give you an idea: https://youtu.be/4jAjIouB7WU
I know of very few people who could do like she do in a home kitchen.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I had to do a spread for a couple vegan couples coming over, and I was excited and full of ideas at first and then it turns out that one of them has a peanut/treenut allergy as well. Like, really bad. I managed to pull it off (mostly grain salads and falafel) but drat if that didn't take a dent out of my options.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

dino. posted:

Re: vegan starters. If you’re in the USA, dollar tree sells these frozen apps that take 0 effort to bung in the oven. Spring rolls, samosa, and one other thing that I’m blanking on. Olives are vegan. As are various nuts. Prolly wouldn’t hurt anything to have some kind of hummus situation. It’s relatively inexpensive to buy if you don’t wanna be bothered to faff about with the food processor. If you’re not in the USA, hit up the local Aldi. They’ve started a vegan line as of late, if I’m not mistaken.

If the gluten free person wants in on that action, they sell these little rice crackers in most stores I’ve seen that are gluten free. Worst comes to it, nip on down to the Aldi and see what’s on. For the vegetarian, make sure there is cheese to be had, as they will literally die of starvation if there isn’t cheese to be had in every meal. Can confirm, as I used to be vegetarian, and would get grumpy at having to eat vegan from time to time, because where the gently caress is the cheese, Cynthia.

No smoked salmon person had me rolling my eyes so hard that they were liable to roll out my head. Just don’t eat it then, Brenda. You’ll be fine. Non dairy person can plunder the vegan stuff. Vegetarian can plunder the vegan stuff, albeit with a load of cheese dumped on. If you’re doing mashed potatoes, I find that a 5-lb bag of potatoes is lovely with like 2-ish cups of coconut milk, a bit of chive, some garlic, good bit of salt, and pepper. Like you said salad is fairly straightforward. Probably wouldn’t hurt to have some kind of daal tarka situation. It’s basically a couple tablespoons of oil, some cumin seeds fried in the oil, and a tin of beans thrown in. I’d be shocked if it takes more than 5 minutes. Again that’ll sort out your vegan, dairy free, vegetarian (again, don’t forget the cheese), and the gluten free.

I don’t know if you were looking for suggestions, but hopeful,y you got a few that you can use.

I'm not in the US, but these are great suggestions and much appreciated, so thanks very much! It's not as big of a pain as I was making out - my coeliac brings their own food, the veggie is flexible about meat at Christmas, and the vegan is determined to make their Very First nut roast all by themselves on Christmas Eve, and the dairy-free isn't going to keel over if they accidentally get a little butter.

It was just the salmon thing that peeved me; I'm actually seriously thinking about the simple buffet starter idea - so those pre-made appetizers could be a godsend - it means I still get my christmas smoked salmon but there can still be other nice options for the veggie/vegan/salmon-hater guests, without it being any kind of Big Deal.
I'm trying get all my Christmas Dinner Cooking irritability out of the way well in advance so's I don't kill anyone on the day, hence the bitching here :D

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pookah posted:

I'm trying get all my Christmas Dinner Cooking irritability out of the way well in advance so's I don't kill anyone on the day, hence the bitching here :D

Probably a good idea. I have the same issue, I love cooking for people and hosting but if it's a big meal for a holiday I'll still get a little up my own rear end and can become sullen or irritable, which isn't The Spirit. Definitely doesn't help if I decided to drink during the process, because then I start making mistakes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Drink enough that you don’t care about the mistakes

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Drink enough that you don’t care about the mistakes

And get others to drink enough that they don’t care either.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Please don't kill anyone when you throw a drunken tantrum about your guests' dietary restrictions.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Do we have a chocolate thread?

I'm looking for a decent milk chocolate or lower percent dark chocolate that doesn't have all the extra poo poo in it. The fancy milk chocolates all seem to have extra flavors or nuts or something added in. I just want a good milk chocolate bar to snack on when the craving hits.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Milka, available in Cost Plus World Market, as well as Publix here in the South.

I'm partial to Flake and Lion as well. Foreign chocolate superiority!

If you go to World Market, pick up some gag gifts for relatives. Best white elephant fodder.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm looking for a decent milk chocolate or lower percent dark chocolate that doesn't have all the extra poo poo in it. The fancy milk chocolates all seem to have extra flavors or nuts or something added in. I just want a good milk chocolate bar to snack on when the craving hits.

Lindt makes great milk chocolates, and Trader Joe's "milk chocolate lover" bar is pretty unique, it's fruity and acidic and flavorful but also smooth and creamy.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Pookah posted:

I'm not in the US, but these are great suggestions and much appreciated, so thanks very much! It's not as big of a pain as I was making out - my coeliac brings their own food, the veggie is flexible about meat at Christmas, and the vegan is determined to make their Very First nut roast all by themselves on Christmas Eve, and the dairy-free isn't going to keel over if they accidentally get a little butter.

It was just the salmon thing that peeved me; I'm actually seriously thinking about the simple buffet starter idea - so those pre-made appetizers could be a godsend - it means I still get my christmas smoked salmon but there can still be other nice options for the veggie/vegan/salmon-hater guests, without it being any kind of Big Deal.

To be honest, if you have more than one option for people with actual dietary issues, it might be a fun way to explore different offerings, and it’s well possible that everyone can enjoy them too. I’ve got a friend who does the warm and cold buffet for starters on Xmas, and it’s always a huge hit. And it doesn’t have to be expensive. It can just be fun little snacks things that people can nibble on. I think it’s awesome that you’re not actually mad at the legit dietary poo poo but were basically side-eyeing the salmon bitch. I know more than one person who gets shirty about something as easy as vegetarian, so it’s refreshing to see that you have got this.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

BrianBoitano posted:

Milka, available in Cost Plus World Market, as well as Publix here in the South.

Milka is rebranded US Nestle bars, unless they are EU tagged. They still avoid the weird fart smell of hershey.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BrianBoitano posted:

Kenji is well known for oversalting meat

Use less salty salt :D

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Casu Marzu posted:

honestly, I've tried a ton of expensive chocolate recently, and like you said, everything seems to have extra poo poo in it.

Lindt is supposed to be the basic "good" chocolate, with nothing else added. It just tastes like chocolate, but I guess that's all there is - there's not like a magic chocolate that tastes 90x better than normal well made chocolate.

that said, the one type that has really satisfied my "artisinal" chocolate craving is taza chocolate : https://www.tazachocolate.com

their gimmick is being "stone ground" - the chocolate has some grit to it. when I first took a bite, I was fairly impressed by its uniqueness, but then reading the label it says "Contains traces of almonds, cashews, coconut, hazelnuts and pecans." - this either just means they're doing due diligence on their nut allergy CYA, or they're adding a tiny bit of nuts and stuff in to their mix.

dunno, either way, give it a try. the 'cacao pura' was the first one I tried and what originally impressed me fwiw.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
A couple friends of mine work here and if yall wanna get into some chocolate they make seriously great poo poo. I was completely unfamiliar with single-origin chocolate and its nuances til they let me taste a bunch of stuff and gave my girlfriend and I a few bars. They do some flavored chocolates with stuff like vanilla-infused sea salt and coconut which are tasty, but their straight-up stuff is what’s really interesting to me. I had no idea how much terroir could be expressed through cacao. Plus the owners make a point of employing LGBT people (my friend is trans and is one of their managers) and do a lot to support small cacao farmers in an industry that is often exploitative. Also one of their employees recently talked poo poo about George HW Bush on Facebook and apparently enraged some busybody old lady enough to call the shop to complain about her unpatriotic and disrespectful behavior. They told her to gently caress off.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

i find Lindt too sweet. Our (as in wife and my) standard chocolate in the UK is Green & Blacks, which does a very good milk and I think is available in the US. However, they were bought by Cadbury's a few years ago, which was then bought by Kraft, so the ethics are now more questionable.

An excellent higher-end chocolate is Willie's Cacao, available in the US. Very good indeed. The quality is such that one doesn't feel the need to eat too much of it, although it's delicious.
https://www.amazon.com/l/10869068011
I am sure it is available from better places than Amazon.

We recently started guzzling the Vivani caramel salt. G&B's sea salt has been our favourite for some time (it's amazing) but this is even better. It's extremely good. Their bittermint is also really excellent, so I imagine their milk would be very good too. I see that they do a 50% milk (at least here) as well as higher % cocoas. They seem to be a highly-ethical company, which I like too. I don't know if it's available in the US.

poop dood posted:

A couple friends of mine work here and if yall wanna get into some chocolate they make seriously great poo poo. I was completely unfamiliar with single-origin chocolate and its nuances til they let me taste a bunch of stuff and gave my girlfriend and I a few bars. They do some flavored chocolates with stuff like vanilla-infused sea salt and coconut which are tasty, but their straight-up stuff is what’s really interesting to me. I had no idea how much terroir could be expressed through cacao. Plus the owners make a point of employing LGBT people (my friend is trans and is one of their managers) and do a lot to support small cacao farmers in an industry that is often exploitative. Also one of their employees recently talked poo poo about George HW Bush on Facebook and apparently enraged some busybody old lady enough to call the shop to complain about her unpatriotic and disrespectful behavior. They told her to gently caress off.

That looks really good too and they seem cool.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

dino. posted:

To be honest, if you have more than one option for people with actual dietary issues, it might be a fun way to explore different offerings, and it’s well possible that everyone can enjoy them too. I’ve got a friend who does the warm and cold buffet for starters on Xmas, and it’s always a huge hit. And it doesn’t have to be expensive. It can just be fun little snacks things that people can nibble on. I think it’s awesome that you’re not actually mad at the legit dietary poo poo but were basically side-eyeing the salmon bitch. I know more than one person who gets shirty about something as easy as vegetarian, so it’s refreshing to see that you have got this.

You're right about the thinking positively thing; it may well be a blessing in disguise because the more I think about the buffet idea, the more I like it! Only slightly more setting-up and clearing-up than usual and people can pick out things they prefer. Christmas dinner is a weird one though - there's this urge to keep things the same as they always were, even if you know you'd also enjoy a bit of a shake-up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

totalnewbie posted:

Use less salty salt :D

Use less meaty meat, and also less watery water

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Less salty salt (measured by volume) is a thing, but it doesn't matter; I use the exact salt Kenji does, and he just likes a lot of it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

i find Lindt too sweet. Our (as in wife and my) standard chocolate in the UK is Green & Blacks, which does a very good milk and I think is available in the US. However, they were bought by Cadbury's a few years ago, which was then bought by Kraft, so the ethics are now more questionable.

Currently eating a lower percent dark from them and it's pretty good. I haven't seen a plain milk bar of theirs yet. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Thanks for the recommendations all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Theo chocolate is really good and is the cheapest best chocolate I've had that doesn't use slaves.