Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's yeast fermentation so it produces deliciousness and alcohol. Would be able to tell if it went bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Rad, that was what I hoped, but thought it was best to ask before I made a habit of eating it in case pineapple was a case where you didn't want to do that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I used to work with this woman who would bring in their homemade fermented pineapple beverage. So so good, and it had a hint of chili pepper in it.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Brawnfire posted:

I used to work with this woman who would bring in their homemade fermented pineapple beverage. So so good, and it had a hint of chili pepper in it.

Sounds like tepache. Few things better on a hot day

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yea! I just started making tepache, and it’s so easy and so delicious. The kitchen uses pineapple for al pastor and I get all the scraps for cocktailing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Maestro posted:

Yea! I just started making tepache, and it’s so easy and so delicious. The kitchen uses pineapple for al pastor and I get all the scraps for cocktailing.

Well now I want al pastor and tepache, really get knocked on my ananass

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I used to be ambivalent about pineapple until a had one fresh off the tree one in Cost Rica. Cans just don't it justice.

Hauki posted:

I’m pretty sure Costco always has $.99/lb pork shoulder, usually 2 ~10# shoulders per bag. I’ve never had a bad experience with it.

gently caress, why didn't I just go there? For some reason, I buy pork loins there, but not shoulders.

Anne Whateley posted:

Vacuum-sealed pork always reeks. Something about the vacuum-sealing and the blood makes it smell like it's gone off, but it really hasn't. Throw out the packaging and drain the blood, leave the piece of pork to sit and it'll be fine in a few minutes.

Oh, I'm familiar with pork funk. This is why I'm always obsessive about prep: drain, rinse, pat dry, trim fat, a little stabby stabby, massage in the dry rub. I know you aren't supposed to rinse them but I do.

But this was different... awful. Vomitous. Smelled like a dumpster on hot day. The plastic was only open for a few minutes, and literally stunk the kitchen up. I didn't even get as far as draining, i just put it in a garbage bag and tied it off. I returned it to the store mostly so that it wouldn't rot outside in my garbage bin for the next week. And it's pretty cold here!

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Squashy Nipples posted:

But this was different... awful. Vomitous. Smelled like a dumpster on hot day. The plastic was only open for a few minutes, and literally stunk the kitchen up. I didn't even get as far as draining, i just put it in a garbage bag and tied it off. I returned it to the store mostly so that it wouldn't rot outside in my garbage bin for the next week. And it's pretty cold here!

That has happened to me, but with beef. It smelled pretty much exactly like fermented herring. The explanation I got was that oxygen must have made it's way into the bag, allowing for accelerated bacterial growth.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Is there a gws discord?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I remember reading an amazing thread where a goon bought a chocolate processor cheap from an auction site and detailed making chocolate from the pods. Anyone got a link?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

I remember reading an amazing thread where a goon bought a chocolate processor cheap from an auction site and detailed making chocolate from the pods. Anyone got a link?

Thanks Theobroma

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

gently caress yeah, thanks mate.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I know most of you guys are not lactose intolerant, but if you are, YQ yogurt is fantastic. It's 99% lactose free and is as thick as strained/greek yogurt. Tastes exactly the same imo.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That chocolate thread is extremely cool.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Casu Marzu posted:

I know most of you guys are not lactose intolerant, but if you are, YQ yogurt is fantastic. It's 99% lactose free and is as thick as strained/greek yogurt. Tastes exactly the same imo.

For those of us that are, this is a good thing to know. Thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I have $5 Kindle credit expiring in two days. Does anyone have internet opinions about these books?

A Common Table by Cynthia Chen McTernan

Mexican Everyday by Ricky B

Dinner in an Instant by Melissa Clark

Josey Baker Bread by Josey Baker

Tartine: Sweet and Savory Pastries, Tarts, Pies, Cakes, Croissants, Cookies and Confections by Elisabeth Prueitt

Cowgirl Creamery Cooks by Sue Conley

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chef said good things about Tartine when I was sill baking. I know we pulled inspiration from it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Also, Ripple mik made from pea protein is amazing. Their milk tastes super close to normal cow milk and their half and half is fantastic as a replacement for creamer.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Also, Ripple mik made from pea protein is amazing. Their milk tastes super close to normal cow milk and their half and half is fantastic as a replacement for creamer.

QFT. My wife prefers non-dairy milks and I tried some Ripple she got one time; if I ever had to give up dairy for any reason, without question Ripple would be my substitute of choice. Surprisingly close to beef juice, though it has a slight hint of salt that regular milk doesn't have. Texture is very comparable.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Ripple is pricey af though. Or at least, it is up here. I usually use unsweetened almond, but maybe I'll grab a thing of Ripple to try next.

I'm straight up allergic to casein :(

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Canada? I was surprised at how expensive a friend told me it was up there.

I usually find them retail at $5 and on sale every so often for $4. Worth it for me as I miss foods with milk.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I used to use pea based protein powder and the ripple pea milk just tasted exactly like that, so anyone who actually thinks it's anything like dairy is insane. Oat milk (and only some brands!) come even close to replicating moo juice.

Now if you live in the south you might be less insane, but that's because southern milk is hot garbage, even fancy grass fed organic stuff.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sextro posted:

I used to use pea based protein powder and the ripple pea milk just tasted exactly like that, so anyone who actually thinks it's anything like dairy is insane. Oat milk (and only some brands!) come even close to replicating moo juice.

Now if you live in the south you might be less insane, but that's because southern milk is hot garbage, even fancy grass fed organic stuff.

I was not impressed with any of the oat milks I've had.

Since I'm only minimally lactose intolerant, I am going to get a pint of the good local whole milk today and compare it to the bottle of Ripple I have in the fridge. It's been a while since I've had just a straight up glass of milk, but from what I remember, Ripple gets closer than any of the other substitutes I've tried.

Also, pretty much any milk outside of Wisconsin is trash :boom:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
hey where did your cheeseav go casuuu

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Casu is rude now, biiiiiiiiiiiitch.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

All the folks in my office who drink the trash drip coffee spend all $$$ on double sugar caramel chocolate mint disaster creamers, maybe I'll see if they will get some of this stuff in their next binge.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I made miniature (dairy free) pavlova last week for a coworkers birthday and they turned out super duper.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The newest NICSA has reached the voting stage. Please go help our newbies with some voter turnout and maybe constructive criticism / compliments on their entries!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883527

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I just remembered how much I liked the Lucky Peach magazine and looked into what it would cost to get the whole set

:eyepop: What the gently caress? Hell no. That's not even an outlier pricewise.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Casu Marzu posted:

I just remembered how much I liked the Lucky Peach magazine and looked into what it would cost to get the whole set

:eyepop: What the gently caress? Hell no. That's not even an outlier pricewise.

they aint printing more

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It wasn't that good of a magazine :signings:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Christ, I like the magazine and all but maybe it’s worth selling mine

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Wow, I'm tempted to sell my own set for that.

I remember donating a copy of #1, back when it was new, to the place where I got my hair cut, since it was the kind of place that it might go appreciated. My stylist said it lasted about a week before someone stole it. Bastard.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is mail order boudin a thing? Because I got a friend in Georgia who misses the food of her swamp people

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
A goon from this forum texted me to ask for cooking advice, and I’m walking on the clouds now. To think that someone thinks so highly of me that they want my help? I am humbled. It feels so nice. I love y’all very much. Xoxo

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

*ignores ur advice, uses preground spices*

Thank you truly for your advice and patience! Will post the results.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Steve Yun posted:

Is mail order boudin a thing? Because I got a friend in Georgia who misses the food of her swamp people

Everything can be mailed. Whether it arrives is another question, says the man who “inadvertently” sent another goon azeotropically pure ethanol and never did a secret Santa again.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

BrianBoitano posted:

*ignores ur advice, uses preground spices*

Thank you truly for your advice and patience! Will post the results.

You’re a sweetheart and deserve all the good that there is in life.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Steve Yun posted:

If you can ship steaks, I'm sure you can ship boudin, but I haven't ever ordered any that way.

https://www.cajungrocer.com/boudin.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The best stoned snack ever is a fried corn tortilla with butter and cinnamon and sugar