Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The best stoned snack ever is a fried corn tortilla with butter and cinnamon and sugar

Dont deep fry while high. My dad volunteers for Red Cross, he responds to house fires to provide immediate necessities (usually money for a hotel and immediate food and clothing expenses). The most frequent causes of fires he has seen is deep frying mishaps, and the majority is drunk/high people trying to deep fry. That, and scented candles left unattended, and children playing with fire.

Then again, it is the south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There technologies to minimize the risk of frying high. Either use an induction with a temperature and timer function or a good dedicated deep fryer.

Never fry high with gas or glasstop, especially glasstop as the temp sensor can really gently caress up and the On/Off cycle is dangerous enough frying low.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BrianBoitano posted:

*ignores ur advice, uses preground spices*

I hope they’re properly matured. I’ve got a jar of curry powder in the cellar that my grandfather laid down before the war, it’s probably almost ready to cook with

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

dino. posted:

A goon from this forum texted me to ask for cooking advice, and I’m walking on the clouds now. To think that someone thinks so highly of me that they want my help? I am humbled. It feels so nice. I love y’all very much. Xoxo

didn't you like, write a cookbook that people buy

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pile of brown posted:

Let the man beam!

You’re a killer chef, but I’d hope you still feel joy when I tell you I had a super bomb dinner last Wednesday at your spot (bread, oysters, scallops, roasted carrots, Caesar salad, and hanger steak). It was so good dude. Literally my only nitpick is the fried polenta with the scallops was like a mm too thick. The drat potatoes with the steak were otherworldly. Who feels nice now? Yea that’s what I thought punk.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pile of brown posted:

I mean, fair. But I don't think said goon knew that I have a book. He just sees me post on here (which isn't that often, to be honest).

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I learned to not deep-fry while baked the same day I learned to not deep-fry while naked.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

dino. posted:

I mean, fair. But I don't think said goon knew that I have a book. He just sees me post on here (which isn't that often, to be honest).

A little self-promotion, please.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Totally Reasonable posted:

I learned to not deep-fry while baked the same day I learned to not deep-fry while naked.

My first stoned baking experience, I made ginger cookies. I swear those things were in the oven for forty minutes at 350, and still didn't bake fully. I think back to that day and I still can't figure out what happened.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Totally Reasonable posted:

I learned don’t make bacon naked the hard way. Don’t worry guys I don’t fry them just fry them in a pan with butter.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Not me but I was there for this. When I was about 10 or 11 my dad had gotten skunked and decided he wanted to fry something. Well since he was drunk he hosed up and somehow tipped the whole pot of hot oil onto just above his belly while he was not wearing a shirt but thankfully had shorts on. It was pretty gruesome. He still has a little bit of the scars but not bad. I mean it's only been 30 years or so. It was one of the things that led him to quit drinking so I guess it was a good thing over all. Still, it was really nasty.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At least 1/3 of the fried foods you've ever eaten were made by someone who was drunk and/or high.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Back when I was in college, drunk me decided the charcoal hadn't lit well enough and needed more lighter fluid. And that's the story of how I lost my eyebrows that one time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have never deep-fried.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
If I couldn't cook drunk I would've starved to death years ago.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bartolimu posted:

Back when I was in college, drunk me decided the charcoal hadn't lit well enough and needed more lighter fluid. And that's the story of how I lost my eyebrows that one time.

We had one of those plastic roofs over our patio at the house I shared in college.

Had.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We burn non-recyclables at my parent's farm. My friend enjoyed spraying Off bug spray on the fire barrel so much he decided pouring out of the bottle would be even better.

Basically this occurred:
https://i.imgur.com/pfSA3.gifv

Not related to cooking but closest I've gotten to being cooked.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Let the man beam!

You’re a killer chef, but I’d hope you still feel joy when I tell you I had a super bomb dinner last Wednesday at your spot (bread, oysters, scallops, roasted carrots, Caesar salad, and hanger steak). It was so good dude. Literally my only nitpick is the fried polenta with the scallops was like a mm too thick. The drat potatoes with the steak were otherworldly. Who feels nice now? Yea that’s what I thought punk.

That was a deep fried Chinese dim sum daikon cake

Also I saw you right when you left and was gonna come out and say hi and also told your server to tell me when cool people come in.

Also I wasn't making a dig at dino at all I just chuckled at the thought of a successful cookbook author being tickled that someone wanted his cooking advice

~namaste~

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

If I couldn't cook drunk I would've starved to death years ago.

I mean, that's how I learned to cook.

And it always worked for Julia.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pile of brown posted:

Also I saw you right when you left and was gonna come out and say hi and also told your server to tell me when cool people come in.

Also I wasn't making a dig at dino at all I just chuckled at the thought of a successful cookbook author being tickled that someone wanted his cooking advice

~namaste~

Oh I knew you weren’t making a dig. I always order the scallops without even looking at the set up. I’ll be sure to actually look at it next time.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I was flipping through old Lucky Peaches over breakfast and stopped on this poignant little essay, start looking for the author after I’ve finished it and it’s loving Bourdain.

gently caress, man.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hauki posted:

I was flipping through old Lucky Peaches over breakfast and stopped on this poignant little essay, start looking for the author after I’ve finished it and it’s loving Bourdain.

gently caress, man.

:smith:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pile of brown posted:

~namaste~

Hahaahahaaha now I see why it's funny.

RE: Deep frying. I've only done it sober, because I'm terrified of those Canadian PSA's coming true in my kitchen. Cooking while drunk? Sure whatever. But not deep frying. I do remember one time I took ambien (for the first and last time) and woke up the next morning to a pan of potatoes in cold oil. Turns out even ambien zombie me won't deep fry.

Book is here: https://secure.pmpress.org/index.php?l=product_detail&p=443

Amazon is WAY overpricing it at $20, when list price is $18. When you get it from PM directly, it's $9, and they give you the DRM free e-book version for free. Also, I'm hella pissed that some bitch used the same title as mine, and it's a meat book. What the poo poo.

dino. fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 6, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just made aïoli for the first time. :getin:

I used the aïoli recipe from here and added some fresh herbs I had sitting on my counter. It might have a little more garlic than the recipe calls for because I love garlic, and I used balsamic vinegar because I didn’t have any white wine vinegar on hand.

Tastes delicious. Maybe a little bitter but I’m hoping it mellows out in the fridge some.

I loving love this new food processor.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I just made aïoli for the first time. :getin:

I used the aïoli recipe from here and added some fresh herbs I had sitting on my counter. It might have a little more garlic than the recipe calls for because I love garlic, and I used balsamic vinegar because I didn’t have any white wine vinegar on hand.

Tastes delicious. Maybe a little bitter but I’m hoping it mellows out in the fridge some.

I loving love this new food processor.

Looks good! Homemade mayo is pretty amazing, too. I always use a bit of dijon mustard for my stabilizer, and I've never had it fail in my Cuisinart.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I gave up meat for lent. Mostly to prove to myself I can do it.

Help. Please share good recipes

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Learn to cook beans. Learn Dino's dal, make some Boston Baked beans, enchiladas with black beans and cheese, beans and rice.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cook one of the vast majority of non white people dishes that exist. :v:

But srsly, entire cuisines are non meat based and delicious.

I personally like The Woks Of Life and Just One Cookbook as good Chinese and Japanese starting points. There's a lot of veg and tofu dishes that are meatless or easily adjusted for no meat.

Also, Kenji has a entire portion of Serious Eats dedicated to vegan month. There's a lot of good stuff there. I especially recommend his charred cabbage noodles.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Also also, if you want to have more meatless meals past lent, I really love Six Seasons and Lucky Peach Power Vegetables cookbooks.

They are full of well thought out recipes that don't fall into the "here's a veg and an egg on top" trap that so many people and restaurants fall into.

Also also also, if you are more free-form with your cooking, the vegetarian flavor bible is dope and the first thing I open when I get a pile of random veg from the farmers market.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Wot he said. Loads of good veg* food outside western cuisine. (plenty inside it too.. make a soup, saute a veg, etc )

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

As someone who was a vegetarian for many years, and who still does not eat meat on Wednesdays or Fridays in Lent, yes, follow the advice above and look east. There are a zillion and a half delicious dishes from China and India which will give you all the protein you need while being soooooo good. Also look at Mexican food - a lot of Catholics there too, you know? And don't forget roughly 2/3s of Ethiopian food.

Relax, you're gonna be ok!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-renounce-Catholicism

But seriously - have you tried fake meats? Some of them are alright.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you really start craving a burger and you don't wanna give up on meatless lent, try to see if you have a restaurant serving the Impossible Burger nearby. It's so good.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Thanks for the advice guys! I’m not even catholic I’m just bandwagoning and trying to be healthier .

It looks like I’ll be cooking a lot of Indian food and Asian foods.

Chickpeas, tofu and sweet potatoes seems to be vegetarian stables no matter the cuisine though.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
All my staple recipes are online: https://taterpies.github.io/recipes/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you haven't eaten a lot of tofu in the past, don't trust white people recipes. It's a shame how so many white people gently caress up tofu trying to make it a meat replacement.

So many of my friends hated tofu because their only exposure was through the blogs and cookbooks that try to replace meat in a recipe with tofu.

A well prepared mapo tofu or soondubu jjigae is some of the best eats imo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Squashy Nipples posted:

Looks good! Homemade mayo is pretty amazing, too. I always use a bit of dijon mustard for my stabilizer, and I've never had it fail in my Cuisinart.

I’m about to make homemade chipotle mayo I’m excited :D

One question: Should I sub lime juice for the lemon juice?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thanks for the advice guys! I’m not even catholic I’m just bandwagoning and trying to be healthier .

It looks like I’ll be cooking a lot of Indian food and Asian foods.

Chickpeas, tofu and sweet potatoes seems to be vegetarian stables no matter the cuisine though.

Dont forget lentils! They are vice and iirc lentils+brown rice is a complete protein

I went to a middle eastern place for lunch yesterday and they had a nice lentil and I'm *pretty sure* barley side dish that was tasty.

I'm glad to be back in civilization after years in rural Iowa.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Maid-Rite sandwich is a delicacy to many :colbert:

Every time I have to drive through Iowa I have a compulsion to stop and grab one and I still don't get it.

See also: runza in Nebraska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Here, our newbies have put together a lot of bean dishes and a few older hands also put in some solid recipes and technique description as well in our latest NICSA.

(Everyone else click on it and go vote if you haven't!)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883527