Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

big black turnout posted:

I bought The Noma Guide to Fermentation a while back and started some lacto fermented plums (not pictured) and tomatoes last night. Excited to see how they turn out

Let us know! I bought it too and lacto plums are high on my list of things to try, but I'll wait until they're in season again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The Noma Guide is probably the most important cookbook to come out since Modernist Cuisine. I think it's going to be a huge influence on people who were already fermenting at home, and will probably get a lot of active home cooks to start fermenting as well. There are probably better introductory books for casual cooks, but Noma is amazingly thorough and broad-ranging.

I'm glad they stopped before trying to tackle yeast ferments, because about half of what little they say in the Guide is wrong. But that's fine; I have too many books on wine/beer/mead/etc. making already. What I needed was a book that showed me how to MacGuyver a fermentation chamber from twine and an old raincoat, and they did that.

I haven't done lacto fruit yet, but my giardiniera and pickled beets have been huge hits and I'm getting a small stock of super-hot chile sauces in my fridge, so that's nice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, same. I've got a whole library of fun tricks to play with yeasts, so more info on lactofermentation is great.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I haven't read the noma guide to fermentation but pretty sure you want all of your veg under the liquid and as little headspace (air) in each jars aspossible, even with an airlock.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

pile of brown posted:

I haven't read the noma guide to fermentation but pretty sure you want all of your veg under the liquid and as little headspace (air) in each jars aspossible, even with an airlock.

I didn't let them sit before I put them in jars. Within an hour they were all covered by liquid. Headspace wise... I did what I could

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i didnt know Noma Guide was a thing. I've been meaning to give non-beer fermentation a try and that looks excellent

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Squashy Nipples posted:

Was he OK with you being gei?

It didn’t come up, thankfully. :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

How does Noma compare to Katz?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

BrianBoitano posted:

How does Noma compare to Katz?

Less hippie woo-woo about the health benefits. Detailed description of methodology and a lot of assemble-your-own-kit instructions. They go deeply into koji ferments and how to encourage them, while Katz gives a basic (but sufficient) description. Noma also spends a chapter on making black garlic and other autolyzed produce even though that isn't technically fermentation, and another on making garums which is only partially fermentation and mostly autolysis. I also find that Katz tends to read like a Victorian gentleman, while Noma feels more like a modern conversational book.

Where Noma extends beyond Katz is the use of ferments as intermediary steps in the creation of a final dish. Katz tends to make a pickle to be eaten as-is or mixed into something. The Noma crew makes fermented-mushroom stock which it then dries into powder to use as garnish, or uses koji-fermented barley as a background flavor in a dish, etc. It's a more technical and more varied approach to fermentation use, which is kind of revolutionary in a book for home cooks.

Redzepi also spends a bit of time navel gazing about Noma's restaurant philosophy and sometimes remarks things like, "We ended up not using this in our restaurant but maybe you'll find a use for it, here's what we learned." Which is pretty cool.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:hf: thank you! I'm about half done with Art of Fermentation, I'll add Noma to the list!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@manuel that’s great to hear that you’re getting the stuff you need. It’s about time!

The boyfriend made it Facebook official, and I don’t know why, but I’m loving giddy as hell. Also his mum and godmother both love me to bits. Thank gently caress.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks, dino. dear :3:. I did the thing today and I've started on 2mg/day of estrogen. Starting small-ish and simple to see if there's any adverse reactions and all that. And congrats to you too! :kimchi:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i dont know that ive said it, so congrats manny. i dont post a ton any more, but ive been lurking gws for the first time in a few years in the last few months. glad to see you living your life in the best way and in great spirits

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Gorts Manny/Laddy

I've somehow live my life so far without ever making my own potato salad. That ended last night, and hot diggity this stuff is good when it's not mostly mayonnaise.

The secret is a splash of dill pickle juice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Gorts Manny/Laddy

I've somehow live my life so far without ever making my own potato salad. That ended last night, and hot diggity this stuff is good when it's not mostly mayonnaise.

Caramelised onions, scallions, and diced pickled gherkins.
Oh, and mix the mayo with yoghurt.

God, why haven’t I made potato salad for ages?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Suspect Bucket posted:

Gorts Manny/Laddy

I hate hate hate it when people make it with Miracle Whip. Also try adding extra crisp chopped bacon!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Gorts Manny/Laddy

https://www.budgetbytes.com/german-potato-salad/

Hot potato salad with a good strong mustard and cider vinegar is my jam.

I'd add a dash of caraway seed to that recipe.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I like the potato salad that's just cold potatoes + bacon/onion with white vinegar. I guess it's called German potato salad.

EDIT: oh like in the post right before mine. yeah that one I could eat a lot of.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There’s a Steven Raichlen book with a kickass smoked potato salad recipe in it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Manuel Calavera posted:

Thanks, dino. dear :3:. I did the thing today and I've started on 2mg/day of estrogen. Starting small-ish and simple to see if there's any adverse reactions and all that. And congrats to you too! :kimchi:

You're awesome. I'm really happy for you. Congratulations!

Liquid Communism posted:

https://www.budgetbytes.com/german-potato-salad/

Hot potato salad with a good strong mustard and cider vinegar is my jam.

I'd add a dash of caraway seed to that recipe.

I like mixing rotkohl with my potato salad because gently caress the police

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I followed a recipe that mimmiced the Publix Southern Potato Salad. It was pretty darn close! Last night we had it pretty fresh and warm, it was very fragrant and tasty. Now it's cold out of the fridge, kinda bland. Needs salt and pepper and hot sauce.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I followed a recipe that mimmiced the Publix Southern Potato Salad. It was pretty darn close! Last night we had it pretty fresh and warm, it was very fragrant and tasty. Now it's cold out of the fridge, kinda bland. Needs salt and pepper and hot sauce.

Don’t tell me you grew up in Florida too. Because if you did, you know the glory of their drat subs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

dino. posted:

Don’t tell me you grew up in Florida too. Because if you did, you know the glory of their drat subs.

I spent ten years in Jacksonville, enjoyed it muchly there (duuuuvaallll). I miss the buffalo chicken tender sub. Probably gonna move back to Florida once we're done here in Jersey.

I miss Publix :(

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the well wishes yall.
I did like Publix from when I was visiting my ex near Atlanta. But I have no longing for it, when we have many good food things here in Ohio. Nothing he had there was so amazing that I long for it. Even his 8" dick, mostly because like, I have access to many of them. Attached to dudes or girls. :hmmyes:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Suspect Bucket posted:

I spent ten years in Jacksonville, enjoyed it muchly there (duuuuvaallll). I miss the buffalo chicken tender sub. Probably gonna move back to Florida once we're done here in Jersey.

I lived in San Marco when I was working there, going back next year for a holiday. I miss “European” Street Cafe, those were good sandwiches.

I suspect it I will be much more enjoyable when I’m not spending every waking moment dreading going back to work...

ieatcheese
Apr 24, 2019

Suspect Bucket posted:

Gorts Manny/Laddy

I went through the same journey of self realization myself. Try it with a mustard vinaigrette instead of Mayo, and eliminate the sugar, that's my preferred method.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Suspect Bucket posted:

Their caesar salad is weird. It has a huge scoop of potato salad in the center. They told me it's supposed to be like that.

Also the best sub is sort of a "menu hack". I saw an employee order it and it's awesome. Ask for a reuben but on a footlong. They give you double meat and the dang thing is huge. 2-3 meals out of it and it's really drat good. It's like $7.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You know those scam calls that tell you you won Publisher’s Clearing House or whatever?

We just got one of those. Guy speaking terrible English called my number (lol it showed up as “No Caller ID”), hung up immediately when I asked what the call was about, then called my dad to tell him we’d won Publisher’s Clearing House. Except he didn’t do the part where they ask us for any information or money, he just... gave us some claim numbers and asked if we’d be home tomorrow and stuff. Also he told us we won second prize instead of first (second prize apparently being $485K plus a Benz car), which seemed a little odd.

Has anyone ever gotten one of these scam calls where the caller forgot to do the actual scam part?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I. M. Gei posted:

You know those scam calls that tell you you won Publisher’s Clearing House or whatever?

We just got one of those. Guy speaking terrible English called my number (lol it showed up as “No Caller ID”), hung up immediately when I asked what the call was about, then called my dad to tell him we’d won Publisher’s Clearing House. Except he didn’t do the part where they ask us for any information or money, he just... gave us some claim numbers and asked if we’d be home tomorrow and stuff. Also he told us we won second prize instead of first (second prize apparently being $485K plus a Benz car), which seemed a little odd.

Has anyone ever gotten one of these scam calls where the caller forgot to do the actual scam part?

Maybe you won a Benz. Dare to dream.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Thanks for the well wishes yall.
I did like Publix from when I was visiting my ex near Atlanta. But I have no longing for it, when we have many good food things here in Ohio. Nothing he had there was so amazing that I long for it. Even his 8" dick, mostly because like, I have access to many of them. Attached to dudes or girls. :hmmyes:
Which part of Ohio
I miss the steak hoagies that seem only localized to Cincinnati. It should be the food they're known for instead of poo poo chili.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Maybe you won a Benz. Dare to dream.

I am, and I hope I did, but I’m pretty sure it’s a scam unless someone can convince me otherwise.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I. M. Gei posted:

It's a scam. PCH doesn't call its winners. If it was legit you'd get a certified letter or a visit in person by a bunch of shitheads with cameras and lights.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SubG posted:

It's a scam. PCH doesn't call its winners. If it was legit you'd get a certified letter or a visit in person by a bunch of shitheads with cameras and lights.

The guy said they’d be coming to our house tomorrow and asked if we’d be home then.

But yeah I figure it’s a scam. It’s just a weird scam because they didn’t do the actual scam part.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

The guy said they’d be coming to our house tomorrow and asked if we’d be home then.

But yeah I figure it’s a scam. It’s just a weird scam because they didn’t do the actual scam part.
They are doing the scam part right now. They're just not done with it.

Hell, maybe they're not scammers, they're burglars and that's why they asked if you're going to be home. Who knows.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SubG posted:

They are doing the scam part right now. They're just not done with it.

Hell, maybe they're not scammers, they're burglars and that's why they asked if you're going to be home. Who knows.

Now I’m scared.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Now I’m scared.
That's probably an overreaction. The most likely result is that you're going to get additional calls from them, since they've verified that there's someone at your number and you didn't just immediately hang up.

If you want to take action, you can file a report with PCH. They've got a complain form you can fill out (pch.com > Customer Service > FAQ > Sweepstakes Inquiries > How do I report a scam?). I'd provide a direct link but it looks like they use a third party for customer service and a different third part for scam reports, so the report form isn't on pch.com.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My best friend, who is a DJ by night (and a very good one), is finally being awarded his PhD next month. We're hosting a party, and I want to do a cocktail with PhDJ involved, since it's a bit of a private joke name. Anyway, I can't think of any good liquors with those initials. No pH. D could be Dalmor or Dewares, J could be Jameson or Johnny Walker but I'm not sure I want to do a double whiskey drink.

Any thoughts at all?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Perry might work. Or Pear juice, Herbsaint, d for demararra sugar, and Jameson? It might be like a cool fruity Sazerac.

Or goodness peychauds for p duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR