Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Which part of Ohio
I miss the steak hoagies that seem only localized to Cincinnati. It should be the food they're known for instead of poo poo chili.

Columbus, and don't you poo poo talk the chili, I have Opinions as has been discussed.

I would recommend against combining any chili and oral though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Just wanted to take a second and bitch about how many things want bowls of ice water to stop cooking. Nobody puts fridges with ice makers in apartments, even upmarket ones here don't have them. Getting shown around an apartment that's $2650 a month (nothing included) and the kitchen has beautiful massive counters with a dozen or so outlets (on 3 separate breaker circuits!) The top end stove + dishwasher, but then the dang fridge is just the same freezer-over fridge eco model my broke rear end family had in the 80's but it's stainless steel now. Wtf. I just want to blanch and then dunk things in ice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sextro posted:

Just wanted to take a second and bitch about how many things want bowls of ice water to stop cooking. Nobody puts fridges with ice makers in apartments, even upmarket ones here don't have them. Getting shown around an apartment that's $2650 a month (nothing included) and the kitchen has beautiful massive counters with a dozen or so outlets (on 3 separate breaker circuits!) The top end stove + dishwasher, but then the dang fridge is just the same freezer-over fridge eco model my broke rear end family had in the 80's but it's stainless steel now. Wtf. I just want to blanch and then dunk things in ice.

If only there were racks of some kind with small compartments into which one could put water, and then the entire rack or “tray” into the freezer to freeze and make small blocks of ice. The person who invented the “ice rack” could make millions!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
You don't need actual ice in ice water to shock blanched food. As long as it's really cold water and there's enough of it that the food won't just heat the water up, you're fine even without ice floating around. Keep a pitcher of water in the fridge, or just refrigerate the whole bowl of water. Then you don't need to use an ice tray like a cave man.

Though if you want to just get an ice tray there's some good silicone ones, and then you can use them to freeze stock into convenient chunks.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My best friend, who is a DJ by night (and a very good one), is finally being awarded his PhD next month. We're hosting a party, and I want to do a cocktail with PhDJ involved, since it's a bit of a private joke name. Anyway, I can't think of any good liquors with those initials. No pH. D could be Dalmor or Dewares, J could be Jameson or Johnny Walker but I'm not sure I want to do a double whiskey drink.

Any thoughts at all?

Prosecco
Hibiscus
Disaronno
Jack Daniels

Pisco
Honey
Damson gin
Juice of a lime

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Prosecco
Hibiscus
Disaronno
Jack Daniels

Pisco
Honey
Damson gin
Juice of a lime

Ooo, number 2 sounds delicious. Maybe a bit sweet with honey and damson?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Sextro posted:

You can also just have a dedicated dunking bowl and keep it in the freezer when not in use so when the whim strikes you all you have to do is fill it up with tap water. I recommend stainless or aluminum.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Ooo, number 2 sounds delicious. Maybe a bit sweet with honey and damson?

Wiggles has a couple of months, right? He could make the damson gin himself, and leave out the sugar...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Wiggles has a couple of months, right? He could make the damson gin himself, and leave out the sugar...

You are wise beyond your years.

I think that this would be delicious
Port
Half and Half
Dr Pepper
Jameson’s

Mmm!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

therattle posted:

If only there were racks of some kind with small compartments into which one could put water, and then the entire rack or “tray” into the freezer to freeze and make small blocks of ice. The person who invented the “ice rack” could make millions!

Also, where do you live that you can't just go to the store and buy a bag of ice?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bags of ice suck because they always thaw partially and refreeze into an unholy conglomeration of ice that I need to use an ice pick to break off chunks.

I do have ice cube trays, 3 of them but it's a stupid and tedious task to fill them and even worse to go for ice only to find it's not frozen yet because you used it earlier that day. I mean, dunking hot things isn't all I use it for.

I tend to make 2-3 cocktails a day and like to drink my kombucha over ice as well. So I go through a bunch.

E: tap water here is coming out at 67f after running for 2 minutes. I don't think that's quite cold enough to chill a batch of blanched greens or a batch of custard.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

Not a bad idea.

I've got a busy weekend with Radwood and Greek Easter, but I'll get to experiments soon. Thanks for the good advice!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Sextro posted:

Bags of ice suck because they always thaw partially and refreeze into an unholy conglomeration of ice that I need to use an ice pick to break off chunks.

Just drop the unopened bag onto the floor from waist height a couple times.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Sextro posted:

I do have ice cube trays, 3 of them but it's a stupid and tedious task to fill them and even worse to go for ice only to find it's not frozen yet because you used it earlier that day. I mean, dunking hot things isn't all I use it for.

I tend to make 2-3 cocktails a day and like to drink my kombucha over ice as well. So I go through a bunch.

Make some ice cubes and then put them in some ziplock bags so you can easily store them. I get that you’re venting but I think you’re overcomplicating the issue.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm not saying it's impossible to solve, it's just really annoying vs just having an ice maker.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
If every refrigerator I've ever had is any indication, the drat ice maker will probably break constantly anyway.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hellsau posted:

If every refrigerator I've ever had is any indication, the drat ice maker will probably break constantly anyway.

My parent's old ice maker made ice until the ice jammed the lever that told it to stop making ice, so it would just make ice continuously until ice would fall on the floor upon opening the freezer door.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I bought a new fridge a few months ago, and it's the first one I've had as an adult that has an ice maker... I finally feel like I've arrived.

Anyway, on a plane, watching early Saturday Food Network. I was excited to see Ray Ray making new 30 Minute Meals! I know a lot of us goonie spoonies like to make fun of her cooking, but I always liked her show.

That said, she's looking a little bloated and weak, and it makes me feel old. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sextro posted:

E: tap water here is coming out at 67f after running for 2 minutes. I don't think that's quite cold enough to chill a batch of blanched greens or a batch of custard.

Get a few small freezer packs that you'd use in a cooler, like these or these, and put them into a large mixing bowl with water while your eggs or greens or whatever are cooking. Then when you need to shock them, the water in the bowl will be near ice-cold temperature.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

I bought a new fridge a few months ago, and it's the first one I've had as an adult that has an ice maker... I finally feel like I've arrived.

Anyway, on a plane, watching early Saturday Food Network. I was excited to see Ray Ray making new 30 Minute Meals! I know a lot of us goonie spoonies like to make fun of her cooking, but I always liked her show.

That said, she's looking a little bloated and weak, and it makes me feel old. :smith:

She was done for when she was the first celeb chef to break ranks and endorse a dog food.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Really neat Serious Eats recipe for using freeze dried banana chips to impart banana flavor to Italian buttercream without hurting the moisture and thus the texture. Sounds like a birthday treat to me!

Pro tip: when you blend the banana chips, remove the silica packet. If you fail to do that, try to notice before you stir it into the buttercream, ruining the whole lot :negative:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

BrianBoitano posted:

Pro tip: when you blend the banana chips, remove the silica packet. If you fail to do that, try to notice before you stir it into the buttercream, ruining the whole lot :negative:

this is v relatable and i am so sorry

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BrianBoitano posted:

Really neat Serious Eats recipe for using freeze dried banana chips to impart banana flavor to Italian buttercream without hurting the moisture and thus the texture. Sounds like a birthday treat to me!

oooh nooo :( I almost did the same thing when I made a strawberry one (it was delicious, use all the fruits)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm so sorry. I ruined a batch of raspberry marshmallows last Christmas in exactly the same way. Blend freeze dried raspberries, pour into mallows as they whip up, notice small bits of paper. gently caress.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is there a reusable alternative to the plastic bags used in sous vide? I keep trying to persuade my wife that we need to get one, and her latest objection is about single use plastic, which we are trying to cut down on...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There are reusable sous vide silicone bags

https://www.amazon.com/SIOchef-Premium-Silicone-Sous-Vide/dp/B07BGJZ2WC

https://www.amazon.com/Stasher-Reus...e-garden&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WFH66TU/ref=psdc_2287321011_t1_B075TM3GVX

Alternatively you can reuse freezer ziploc bags a few times

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Per dino. and others I now bloom my spices. Why don’t people do this for black pepper too? Surely exactly the same principle applies?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

therattle posted:

Per dino. and others I now bloom my spices. Why don’t people do this for black pepper too? Surely exactly the same principle applies?

You can, it's just that pepper and whole peppercorns is a bit more delicate I think. I've burned lots of pepper and regretted it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Just drop the unopened bag onto the floor from waist height a couple times.

This. Works with an opened bag too if you're careful :sun:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

therattle posted:

I do for stuff like cacio e pepe

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

Is there a reusable alternative to the plastic bags used in sous vide? I keep trying to persuade my wife that we need to get one, and her latest objection is about single use plastic, which we are trying to cut down on...

I bought the 3rd item on this list for exactly the same reasons. Both bags failed, splitting with small cracks along the seam. One after 2 uses, one after 3. I was not pleased.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

That Works posted:

I bought the 3rd item on this list for exactly the same reasons. Both bags failed, splitting with small cracks along the seam. One after 2 uses, one after 3. I was not pleased.

I have the Stasher, which was the second item, and I haven't had any problems.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Gnocchi were a lot more involved than I thought but, still delicious.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

You can! In the south of India, when making pongal, you bloom whole black peppercorns in the fat of your choosing. That said, because pepper is not native to most countries, I’m guessing that most of them only know it as a finishing spice, and not a cooking one.

Also, you low key made my heart happy to know that you’re treating my cooking advice like some kind of authority. <3 You’re too sweet.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

You can! In the south of India, when making pongal, you bloom whole black peppercorns in the fat of your choosing. That said, because pepper is not native to most countries, I’m guessing that most of them only know it as a finishing spice, and not a cooking one.

Also, you low key made my heart happy to know that you’re treating my cooking advice like some kind of authority. <3 You’re too sweet.

Oddly enough, I do treat people who have had cookbooks published and demonstrated a mastery of a particular cuisine as having some authority, yes. And rightly so!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I went to a flea market today.

I. M. Gei posted:

Here are the steins.

The Budweiser one in the middle I’m pretty sure is worthless. I’m more interested in the two on the ends, which according to Google sold on eBay for $100 and $300 about 10 years ago, but I’m curious to see what this thread thinks. The guy I bought them from has a ton more of these at knockdown prices (they were his brother’s collection, which he’s now selling to help pay for said brother’s funeral :() that I’m thinking about going back and buying more tomorrow.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If they turn out worthless, they're still cool af looking.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Manuel Calavera posted:

If they turn out worthless, they're still cool af looking.

Agreed. I’ve been thinking about collecting beer steins for awhile now. I might go back and pick up some more today.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I bought more.

I. M. Gei posted:

I went back to the flea market today to pick up a few more steins to start a collection in earnest.

I thought maybe I’d end up getting three or four max.

I got SEVEN!

Dude told me these were the best/most expensive ones he had. He could’ve easily tried to swindle me on some of his Anheuser-Busch/Budweiser stuff if he’d wanted to, so I’m inclined to believe him. Even if they’re worthless, though, I think they’re a pretty nice start to a collection.

THAT loving CHIP OFF THE BOTTOM :argh:

This is one of the oldest ones the guy had. Apparently it never had a lid.

Today was the last day of that market so unfortunately/thankfully I can’t go back for more.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

dino. posted:

Do you bloom peppercorn more when it's "fresh"? i.e. we just got a bunch of fresh peppercorn (which look dried) from an Indian friend.