Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Cross posting this because I want to see if anyone else gets irrationally angry that All-Clad makes a D5 pan with teflon. I mean the guy made a great deal since it's still good but for fucks sake, D5 should be a drat heirloom that you give your kids, teflon should be replaced every few years.

King of Bees posted:

Found this nice All Clad D5 10" pan today at a St. Vincent de Paul's thrift store for a tenner. It was just a bit stained on the exterior but it all came off. Interior was perfect. It goes with my collection of thrift store cookware that looks like I only shop at Williams Sonoma.

E. Trying to fix these links

Edit: oh cool my snobbery is a snype. Hi all, I'm a snobby dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Once the teflon starts flaking off, the pan will still be useful for home defense. You could beat three, maybe four robbers to death with each swing of that thing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Or scrub the poo poo out of it with steel wool then season it!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So.....uh.....got a little problem.

Just moved into a new home build. Turned the oven on after removing all the stuff inside.....and apparently, I missed something. There's melted plastic over the racks and some pooled at the bottom/along the door. How do I get rid of it and not kill my family?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Croatoan posted:

Cross posting this because I want to see if anyone else gets irrationally angry that All-Clad makes a D5 pan with teflon. I mean the guy made a great deal since it's still good but for fucks sake, D5 should be a drat heirloom that you give your kids, teflon should be replaced every few years.

Edit: oh cool my snobbery is a snype. Hi all, I'm a snobby dick.

I found one of these at a TJ Maxx Homegoods store for $30 and it's my favorite nonstick pan I've ever owned. My Googling told me that it's normally sold in a set with a 12" pan for around $100, which is way more than it's worth. I was really happy to get it for the price I did but I absolutely wouldn't pay more than maybe $40 for a pan that I know I'm going to have to replace in a couple years.

So like, moral of the story, keep your eyes peeled for one of these next time you're in a discount home goods store but absolutely do not pay full retail price for one.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Omne posted:

Just moved into a new home build. Turned the oven on after removing all the stuff inside.....and apparently, I missed something. There's melted plastic over the racks and some pooled at the bottom/along the door. How do I get rid of it and not kill my family?

I'd guess a lot of scraping it out and do an oven cleaning cycle and go outside while it does it's thing? Gonna stink like poo poo though.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Omne posted:

i am moving into a brand new rental in a few days (assuming the landlord doesn't keep moving the move in date. We have to be out of our current winter rental place so rich people can rent it by the week by May 15th). This is a nice reminder to make sure all of the appliances are ready for use before I use them. I'm sorry for what happened, but thank you kindly for being a cautionary tale.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

If you can't get under an edge of the plastic and peel it off, maybe put the oven on the lowest temp and see if warming it up a bit allows you to get it off. Keep trying to higher temps until it's soft enough to remove but not so hot as to catch fire and kill you with noxious fumes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Omne posted:

How do I get rid of it and not kill my family?

Just clean your oven and avoid confrontational situations that bring on your killing trouble

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Wroughtirony posted:

Do you bloom peppercorn more when it's "fresh"? i.e. we just got a bunch of fresh peppercorn (which look dried) from an Indian friend.

I致e only ever done it with the whole black peppercorns. I feel like it takes on this weird bitter taste when cooked in fat in the ground state.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Claire Saffitz: "I think the reason I keep getting sick all the time is because sixty percent of my diet is white sugar"

...ya think?

Don't get me wrong, Claire is great, but drat

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Claire Saffitz: "I think the reason I keep getting sick all the time is because sixty percent of my diet is white sugar"

...ya think?

Don't get me wrong, Claire is great, but drat

Leave Claire alone!!!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Is BA union?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is fontina cheese just a more melty version of Parmesan? I have trouble telling the difference in taste between it and Parmesan. It probably doesn't help that its from Wisconsin instead of being the real deal.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
My beloved induction cooktop is broken because the electrician who wired it when we remodeled the kitchen hosed up and it eventually got burned out.

:(

Having to order out until it is fixed.. Boooo.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
got The Food Lab for my birthday yesterday.

a good cookbook.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone have a toaster oven they'd like to recommend? Mine is dying. I'm looking at <$100, I'm not trying to buy a fancy pants Breville with Element IQ (Although I'd loving love one).

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Coasterphreak posted:

got The Food Lab for my birthday yesterday.

a good cookbook.

i keep my copy by my bedside

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Croatoan posted:

Anyone have a toaster oven they'd like to recommend? Mine is dying. I'm looking at <$100, I'm not trying to buy a fancy pants Breville with Element IQ (Although I'd loving love one).

Cuisinart makes a nice model around that price point.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anyone have the Panasonic Infrareds?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Anyone have the Panasonic Infrareds?

I have their inversion tech microwave

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Croatoan posted:

My brother has a Panasonic infrared and it's great https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G110P-FlashXpress-Infrared-Removable/dp/B008C9UFDI only issues are the UI is really, really weird and it's a mite small (not cripplingly so, but noticeable).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I apologize, I completely forgot there is a product recommendation thread. Thanks, friends!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Interesting article on enchiladas
https://www.historytoday.com/archive/historians-cookbook/enchiladas-culinary-monument-colonialism

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A good article, thanks. Enchiladas are simply a naturally evolved fusion food.

I worry about that author when he discovers the "tamales" of Mississippi.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Enchiladas are delicious

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Tamales of Mississippi by Nicholas Sparks

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I didn't see that in that article? Regardless, there are a bunch of immigrants here in the south so our tamales are usually pretty legit. Especially when you get them at gas stations from the "Tamale lady" who is usually an older abuela. At least that's been my experience in Georgia.

I know Wiggles is already well versed in Mexican cuisine but for the rest of you, if you're interested in exploring Mexican cuisine from the perspective of an immigrant learning to play with American ingredients in her cuisine, check out Pati Jinich! She's great! She has a show on PBS and some really good books. I especially love when she travels throughout a region of Mexico and her show does a really great job of destigmatizing Mexico and changes the typical American's perspective of "They're just drug smuggling women killing savages!" who are sadly currently in charge of American politics.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 29, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Croatoan posted:

I didn't see that in that article? Regardless, there are a bunch of immigrants here in the south so our tamales are usually pretty legit. Especially when you get them at gas stations from the "Tamale lady" who is usually an older abuela. At least that's been my experience in Georgia.

Here's an article about Mississippi Delta tamales specifically. In New Orleans, there are a bunch of tamale places around - and several people who sell them out of a cart or similar - but I assumed those had just crept in from Texas.
https://www.ft.com/content/2ca8641a-8c59-11de-b14f-00144feabdc0

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah, they're not bad, they're just a further evolution of what a "tamale" is. But my point was that the article gets into national pride and pointing out strong opinions - Mississippi tamales are ALWAYS a point of contention.

Also, unrelated, but didn't one of us work at Passionfish in Monterey? I'm heading there next week and I want to know what's going to be the best thing to get.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cancun/Yucatan Mexico vacation food summary:

I actually kind of like the Mexican baloney, they always had some on the breakfast buffet at the hotel
The butter is weird. So is the coffee cream
Eggs, beans and chilaquiles is the best breakfast
Eating at Mayan restaurants provides a lot of insight into how Mexican food developed.
Food was sometimes served un/underseasoned
Goats milk caramel candy is awesome

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

That article makes it sound like traditional enchiladas are a thing of the past, where you mix powdered chili with the dough, they are not. The pepper in the dough is the only thing not making it a loving regular taco, it is in the name... en-chi-la-da... translates roughly to '... made spicy', or '... with added hot pepper'

Probably should use 'tex-mex enchiladas' in the article, real enchiladas are not a 'simpler' version of the dish, its a completely different thing.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 30, 2019

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I actually kind of like the Mexican baloney, they always had some on the breakfast buffet at the hotel
Eating at Mayan restaurants provides a lot of insight into how Mexican food developed.

I feel like (based on a week in Merida and conversations with my sister and brother-in-law who lived there for a couple years) seasoning in the Yucatan is very much a "here's a shitload of condiments/sauces, do what you need to do." Good food though and different from most people in the States expect from "Mexican food"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squashy Nipples posted:

How'd you like the coffee? I always have great coffee down there. I get down to somewhere on the Yucatan just about every winter and I've loved the food. Couple times staying at more touristy places they will put out a big euro spread too so you can get all kinds of sandwich meats and cheeses alongside the local stuff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
In Canada and eating Fifth Town truffalina truffles cheese. Jesus Mary and Joseph. Anyone here had it?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Since the charcuterie thread is archived I figured I would throw this here.

Anyone have any flavor combinations on bacon they have enjoyed? I知 searching for ideas.

These are peppered bourbon barrel aged maple syrup streaky bacon and Carolina reaper and turmeric back bacon.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Send me some and I値l get back to you

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Actually I知 gonna need all of it for... scientific purposes

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Anyone have any flavor combinations on bacon they have enjoyed? I知 searching for ideas.

These are peppered bourbon barrel aged maple syrup streaky bacon and Carolina reaper and turmeric back bacon.

i bet a honey dijon or a chili+ginger+five-spice would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Jamaican jerk, my dude

(I have never tried this, but I致e been curious about it for awhile.)