Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Exactly what the basement is at. I am not doing anything to control the temp or humidity.

Ahh ok. My basement temps are good but humidity is baaaaad right now and gets dry in winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Just got back from a couple of weeks in SW France. Our bags were really heavy coming home:
1 bottle red wine
I bottle EVOO
5.5 jars of the best honey I’ve ever had
2 jars fig jam
1 jar chestnut spread
1 bag artisan chickpea flour (wife has chickpea pancakes with tahini and date syrup most mornings)
1 box Castelnaudary haricots
I box lentils
I box dried chickpeas
0.5 bags long-grain rice
2.5 bags liquorice sticks

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

therattle posted:

wife has chickpea pancakes with tahini and date syrup most mornings

recipe doesn't seem to be loading :confused:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bertrand Hustle posted:

recipe doesn't seem to be loading :confused:

Mix equal volumes chickpea (or gram) flour with water and a pinch of salt; a whisk works well. She uses 1/3-1/4 cup per pancake. Fry in medium hot pan with a bit of oil; turn after a few minutes. Add copious amounts of good tahini and date syrup. She likes adding pomegranate seeds. Peanut butter and something sweetish also works well as a combo.

We also have them with harissa-roasted tomatoes and yoghurt. They’re pretty versatile.

I recommend them: cheap, quick, filling, nutritious, vegan.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Are we still talking about pickles?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm going to die. That picture will kill me

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Would

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Same.

My first batch of watermelon rind kimchi failed due to user error; I tried using a chili/fermented bean paste from the Filipino market instead of gochujang, and it was so salty it didn't allow anything to survive. New batch is straight(ish) Korean style: gochujang, shallot, garlic, ginger, generous pour of fish sauce. I left the vac-bagged nuclear option (added 4 dried habaneros) unattended for a day and it ballooned almost to the point of exploding the bag. I guess that means it's fermenting this time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I'm afraid that there's no gochujang in a normal kimchi, you need gochugaru, salt is added separately. Also need shrimp jeot

Gochujang is gochugaru, meju, sprouted barley and a roux of rice flour, in the traditional formulation. Usually people just do any carb, a sweetener meju and gochugaru. You want to control the level of carbs and you don't want separate meju in there

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 21, 2019

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Same

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Spaced God posted:

I'm going to die. That picture will kill me

A pizza shop near my house makes a Big Mac pizza, complete with pickles, lettuce, and special sauce. I don't order it often, but its really yummy.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's y'alls favorite cookbook and why?

Sunday Suppers at Lucques The fall brisket menu is still one of my absolute favorite meals.

The Flavor Bible - I much prefer to mix and match flavors that go well sometimes as opposed to developed recipes at this point i know what i'm doing well enough.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Squashy Nipples posted:

A pizza shop near my house makes a Big Mac pizza, complete with pickles, lettuce, and special sauce. I don't order it often, but its really yummy.

That sounds both disgusting and awesome at the same time and I am confused.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's just burger flavors with pizza crust instead of bread. seems fine.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

toplitzin posted:

Sunday Suppers at Lucques The fall brisket menu is still one of my absolute favorite meals.

The Flavor Bible - I much prefer to mix and match flavors that go well sometimes as opposed to developed recipes at this point i know what i'm doing well enough.

Technical, I’m going back to The Food Lab. Philosophical, An Everlasting Meal really nails where I’m at these days. Bridging the two is Salt Fat Acid Heat, all of which I recommend for the contemporary food scene.

The CIA guide is a nice technique reference, and I love Adria’s The Family Meal for inspiration planning parties quickly. Anything Moosewood to inspire vegetables.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

That sounds both disgusting and awesome at the same time and I am confused.

You get a few close ups of it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snithfXcXoE

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

toplitzin posted:

God I love Luques. We used to eat there at least one Sunday a month. Well worth it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
e: wrong thread

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Croatoan posted:

Yeah my wife had never heard of using vinegar to clean but holy crap it's great to soak a vinegar solution in a roasting pan and the next morning the crud is just floating instead of trying to chisel it off. She still bitches about how it makes the kitchen smell like a pickle but she doesn't like pickles and that's weird so she can gently caress off. Stupid pickle hater.

Vinegar's great for cleaning. Cuts sugars like crazy, and eats calcium too so if you've got hard water you can get the deposits off your coffee maker/showerhead/etc with it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What do I do if some rear end in a top hat left a wet cast iron pan on the counter and left a rust stain? Counter is idk some kind of plastic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

Vinegar's great for cleaning. Cuts sugars like crazy, and eats calcium too so if you've got hard water you can get the deposits off your coffee maker/showerhead/etc with it.

Yep. I descale my kettle with it.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Drink and Fight posted:

What do I do if some rear end in a top hat left a wet cast iron pan on the counter and left a rust stain? Counter is idk some kind of plastic.

I know that scrubbing with barkeeper's friend works for this, but personally (in keeping with my earlier comments) i'd give it a whack with baking soda first, just to see what it does.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Squashy Nipples posted:

same. It is goddamn tasty.

therattle posted:

Just got back from a couple of weeks in SW France. Our bags were really heavy coming home:
1 bottle red wine
I bottle EVOO
5.5 jars of the best honey I’ve ever had
2 jars fig jam
1 jar chestnut spread
1 bag artisan chickpea flour (wife has chickpea pancakes with tahini and date syrup most mornings)
1 box Castelnaudary haricots
I box lentils
I box dried chickpeas
0.5 bags long-grain rice
2.5 bags liquorice sticks

I also went to France this summer, but it was for work and all I brought back was a package of cookies because they were branded "crousty buns" and I am a 12 year old. Next summer it will be the UK and I think my wife will join me (assuming I havent talked my boss out of sending me on the trip) so I wont waste luggage space on a joke food item lol. It was, however, worth it. "Crousty buns" lol.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

I also went to France this summer, but it was for work and all I brought back was a package of cookies because they were branded "crousty buns" and I am a 12 year old. Next summer it will be the UK and I think my wife will join me (assuming I havent talked my boss out of sending me on the trip) so I wont waste luggage space on a joke food item lol. It was, however, worth it. "Crousty buns" lol.

At this point whenever I travel to Spain or France I pack myself into my weekend bag as a carry on, and check an empty suitcase to bring home wine, oils, and cookware.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hello again, gws. Lost tip of fingat on ye olde mandolin. Currently at the er on advice of my er nurse spouse. Kinda gnarly looking. Was doing carrots for chicken noodle soup. I made homemade egg noodles for the first time too :mad:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for doing your part in sating their thirst for blood. Sorry about your loss.

Exit: They all thirst

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Happy to take the damage so that others may slice in peace

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Eat This Glob posted:

Hello again, gws. Lost tip of fingat on ye olde mandolin. Currently at the er on advice of my er nurse spouse. Kinda gnarly looking. Was doing carrots for chicken noodle soup. I made homemade egg noodles for the first time too :mad:

No hand guard and no cut-resistant glove?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I can’t watch cooking shows with mandolins. They freak me out. Hope the g
fingat ok.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I use my mandoline as little as possible because I can tell that it wants to eat me. Best wishes, hope things turn out ok

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Thank you for the well wishes, I'll be fine. Got the thumb on an angle. I was using the mandolin vertically to cut carrots into same thickness medallions for a large pot of soup and didnt want to do the knife work. First time I've ever used a mandolin without the hand guard and it'll likely be the last. I honestly had no idea cut resistant cloves were a thing. I'll have to look into that.

It was very bloody and we couldn't tell if it lopped off bone or not. Luckily it was just clean and dress it. I got to meet my wife's co-workers at least lol. She just dropped me off and went back to the hospital to work her shift at the ER lol.

also, I learned we have a $150 ER co-pay. That was an expensive carrot.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

RIP fingat

On a related note, when you are chopping or slicing a large quantity of something that wants to stick to your knife (onions, zucchini), what's the best way to keep the cut pieces out of the way of your chopping/slicing? I either have to stop every couple seconds and shove pieces away, or end up with a bunch of re-chopped tiny bits.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ugh, remember the Thumus incident?

My girlfriend at the time cut her finger with her submersion blender. She got this horrible spiral cut, and lost the tip . It was a bunch of stitches, but eventually she got sensation and full range of motion back.

She was making baked falafel at the time, so I can't remember why we dubbed it Thumus. I guess they are both mostly chickpeas?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
I recently got a really deep cut on a fingertip trying to slice a quartered onion with a mandolin. These are awesome:

There's a short end of adhesive gauze on one side of the bandage that you can use to anchor next to the cut, and then the other end is super long and you can wrap it tight a bunch of times around your finger so the pressure stays on. They're stretchy and durable and they don't fall off.

I use them frequently because the mandolin surely won't get me this time.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

fart store posted:

I recently got a really deep cut on a fingertip trying to slice a quartered onion with a mandolin.

this seems like a cry for help

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Squashy Nipples posted:

My girlfriend at the time cut her finger with her submersion blender. She got this horrible spiral cut, and lost the tip . It was a bunch of stitches, but eventually she got sensation and full range of motion back.

Ouch. I hit my finger - last knuckle, on the sides about halfway up to the tip - with the immersion blender and got no treatment. I ended up with some gnarly scars and loss of feeling in the scar tissue area, but nothing else.

Kitchen looked like the aftermath of the loving Texas Chainsaw Massacre though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Do those cut resistant gloves hold up to a mandolin?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Stringent posted:

Not if it’s hungry.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Stringent posted:

The chainmail ones yeah. The fabric ones yeah, the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I tried some of those fabric ones and used them for about 5 minutes until they were gross