Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
That's fair but like I get the novelty of the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Croatoan posted:

That's fair but like I get the novelty of the idea.

Yeah to me there's nothing wrong with at least once getting the food named for the city. Chicago deep dish was pretty lame really, but I got it. Denver omelette? Nothing to write home about. Cleveland steamer? Every cafe I asked at got mad at me, guess they don't like tourists.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Brawnfire posted:

Cleveland steamer? Every cafe I asked at got mad at me, guess they don't like tourists.

Some regional specialties you just have to ask a resident for the homemade version. A lot of the professionals won't debase themselves and their practice with such tawdry affairs.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah to me there's nothing wrong with at least once getting the food named for the city. Chicago deep dish was pretty lame really, but I got it. Denver omelette? Nothing to write home about. Cleveland steamer? Every cafe I asked at got mad at me, guess they don't like tourists.

what is a cleveland steamer?? the first three pages of google are uh, unsavory urban dictionary entries (I hope you got pierogies instead those are everywhere)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Sextro posted:

Nothing, but. It's 2019, unless you live in the middle of nowhere you can get a cheesesteak anywhere on the east coast (and probably elsewhere, but I would just be guessing at that) and they're dead easy to make at home. Like if you're only picking a few meals to have in Philadelphia you're really doing yourself a disservice in passing up all the other options for something so easily found elsewhere.

if you go further up the coast, you can get a proper steak bomb, which is a much better garbage food grinder, imo

e: link for the unfamiliar http://blogs.seacoastonline.com/limelight-deals/2011/11/11/the-perfect-steak-bomb/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Crusty Nutsack posted:

what is a cleveland steamer?? the first three pages of google are uh, unsavory urban dictionary entries (I hope you got pierogies instead those are everywhere)

I was about to post that I asked for a Cleveland Steamer and what I got wasn’t at all what I expected.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does anybody itt know how to make animated gifs with poo poo photoshopped in them?

I asked in BYOB but nobody answered.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Maestro posted:

Jim’s Steaks is the non-racist of the two original cheesesteak places. I went in winter and it was below freezing and the line was outside around the corner. “One wit wiz and a yinglings” is the way to order. Somebody that actually lives there can probably clarify or correct if I’m wrong

drat, Jim's is only open 10-1 and I wanted to slot it in for breakfast around 8:30 (:v:)

Is Geno's a good switch? Or anywhere to get a steak bomb here?

Heading to R&D for cocktail hour now!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Wahey, the name's back! Time to start passing over the sub looking for "The Sub Forum".

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

It is fine, but if I recall they're the place that has a bunch of "order in english, this is merica!" signs and are generally racist fucks.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

drat, Jim's is only open 10-1 and I wanted to slot it in for breakfast around 8:30 (:v:)

Heading to R&D for cocktail hour now!

Geno's is the racist one. Try Pat's across the way from them.

Also whilst you're around r&d start thinking dinner. And why that dinner might be pizza. Down Girard at Pizza.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 12, 2019

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

That wasn't edit.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Link for racism?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

pile of brown posted:

Link for racism?

https://billypenn.com/2016/10/12/controversial-speak-english-sign-is-gone-from-genos-steaks/

The sign is gone, but the owners reaction to the whole thing tells you all you need to know. They also have a giant wall of Police department endorsements/blue lives matter poo poo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I've never eaten in Cleveland, I'm sorry to say your search was correct.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

therattle posted:

I was about to post that I asked for a Cleveland Steamer and what I got wasn’t at all what I expected.
But to be fair that place doesn't even serve blumpkins.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What about "eggs Danny Thomas style"?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sextro posted:

They just won an award so it might be busy, but there's a cocktail bar called R&D I think is worth going out of your way for and it's within 2 blocks of an absolute ton of really excellent full restaurants (they just have a snack/small plates menu)

R&D was fantastic and so was Sarvida. Thank you for the recommendation! I thought about doing pizza after your rec for that, but the places I checked on google seemed to only sell full pies and I was solo dining.

I sat next to a guy who designed/engineered the ceiling wood slats and the array of metal poles, so that was neat.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I want one of those Amargo Agrios right now. No I don't care that it's 7:45am and I'm at work.

Since folks are asking for recommendations, anyone have suggestions for Vancouver, BC? I'm going early next month for a conference, staying downtown close to Gastown.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I heard the weed is pretty good.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

R&D was fantastic and so was Sarvida. Thank you for the recommendation! I thought about doing pizza after your rec for that, but the places I checked on google seemed to only sell full pies and I was solo dining.

No problem! Sarvida is really drat good, glad you found/chose it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Croatoan posted:

I heard the weed is pretty good.

Not my chosen vice, but I'm glad people who want it have access to good poo poo. Also it's legal here too, so I don't need to run up to Canada to start if I want.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So is that a ‘no’ on my gif request? :(

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The thing about Philly is that it’s a city of immigrants that the local populace has fully embraced. It’s not just “African” food. I’ve found Ethiopia, Eritrean, and Nigerian restaurants. They have stores that cater to pretty much most of Southeast Asia, which is a feat. There are legit South Indian restaurants. For some reason, philly is a hotbed of oddly specific regional cuisine. If you’re wasting your time getting lovely beef on crap bread with processed cheese, you’re missing out on what is seriously a wonderfully diverse food town.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

if you go further up the coast, you can get a proper steak bomb, which is a much better garbage food grinder, imo

e: link for the unfamiliar http://blogs.seacoastonline.com/limelight-deals/2011/11/11/the-perfect-steak-bomb/

Meh... the bread is better in Philly. For me, when it comes to "authenticity", choice of cheese is second to having a proper hoagie roll.

dino. posted:

The thing about Philly is that it’s a city of immigrants that the local populace has fully embraced. It’s not just “African” food. I’ve found Ethiopia, Eritrean, and Nigerian restaurants. They have stores that cater to pretty much most of Southeast Asia, which is a feat. There are legit South Indian restaurants. For some reason, philly is a hotbed of oddly specific regional cuisine. If you’re wasting your time getting lovely beef on crap bread with processed cheese, you’re missing out on what is seriously a wonderfully diverse food town.

True and: good Pho, good real Chinese food, good bad Chinese food, good sushi....

That said, go to an all-night diner when you get out of the bar and order a pizza steak with a side of scrapple, it's part of the Philly experience.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’m from New England. On behalf of all of us we apologize for the guy claiming steak bombs are better than a Philly cheesesteak.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chemmy posted:

I’m from New England. On behalf of all of us we apologize for the guy claiming steak bombs are better than a Philly cheesesteak.

Connecticut had the best pizza I've ever loving had.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I am from hoagie territory but on my way to a lake house last weekend we stopped at a grinder shop in western CT and it was...disconcertingly good. :gay:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

toplitzin posted:

Connecticut had the best pizza I've ever loving had.

No doubt. New Haven style is the best.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

I am from hoagie territory but on my way to a lake house last weekend we stopped at a grinder shop in western CT and it was...disconcertingly good. :gay:

See there, Western CT has some of NYC food culture, including good sandwiches and diners.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Depends on if you mean Fairfield or Torrington by “western CT” but CT in general has good pizza and sandwiches.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I still regret not ordering an extra Frank pepe pie just for my buddy and I to eat. (We had another hour after pickup to drive)

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

dino. posted:

I didn't know you'd been to Philly! Any suggestions for Southern Indian spots? I've a few favorites already but their menu's all seem to be a mishmash of regions.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Chemmy posted:

explain the leafs av then, ya hoser

cheez whiz off

steak bombs are fantastic

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Sextro posted:

I didn't know you'd been to Philly! Any suggestions for Southern Indian spots? I've a few favorites already but their menu's all seem to be a mishmash of regions.

Amma’s on chestnut. They’ll have Chettinad food, which is gonna have some of those spices they use more in the north (cardamom, cinnamon, clove) because it’s a wealthy region. And they’ll have some pretty meat centric dishes. But don’t let that stop you from trying their vegetarian stuff. You’re bound to enjoy it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So I made a head cheese today. Lots of fun boiling down a pig head and getting it all ready. I stuffed it into a fibrous casing as a test because I have 4 more pig heads coming in the next few days. I would like to be able to fully stuff the casings and then freeze them. It seems like it will take 2 heads to fill each casing fully.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

explain the leafs av then, ya hoser

cheez whiz off

steak bombs are fantastic

Where exactly in New England are you?

I worked for a bit at one of my buddy's pizza shops, and in the Boston area, people like their beef dry and overcooked, and the sandwich rolls to be pale and undercooked. It's gross.
A common order was "extra-well done/crispy", and then add mayo to moisten it back up. Gross! A cheese steak should be juicy and just the right amount of greasy, and does NOT need mayo.

I want to blame the Irish for this, but some other ethnicities were worse; it really is a regional affliction.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyway, hadn't done any baking in a while, so the woman and I randomly decided to take a crack at one of our favorite dim sum items, Pineapple buns with custard.
I just googled around and picked recipes. I liked how the buns came out, the filling was perfect, but the topping was ALL WRONG.

Anyone got any go-to recipes they like?
I want them to look like what you get at China Pearl.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Can I treat a deboned pork shoulder like a pork loin? I used the shoulder with the bone in it for pulled pork and I want to use this bigger chunk of meat like a traditional roast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's good if you cook it much much more than you'd cook a pork loin. This recipe has been popular, I'm sure there are better ones: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016234-pernil