Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

What internal temp am I looking for with this cut off meat? I'm thinking at 300 degrees, probably 30 mins a pound sounds roughly accurate, mainly for timing my dinner sides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rythe posted:

What internal temp am I looking for with this cut off meat? I'm thinking at 300 degrees, probably 30 mins a pound sounds roughly accurate, mainly for timing my dinner sides?
You meant 200, right? Pork cooked to an internal temperature of 300 is pork cooked into a thick log of jerky.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Basically - for a pork roast you aren't really looking for an internal temp, you should just be judging the texture. The longer you hold a shoulder at a high temperature, the more tender it gets. A shoulder that just hit 160 will be hard, a shoulder that was at 160 for a long time will be tender.

People who use smokers say like a 180 internal temp or so which kind of works due to the way moisture evaporation works, but idk if that will really translate to an oven. I recommend just stabbing it with a fork every so often. It'll be a matter of at least 2.25 hours tho unless it's like tiny.

30 minutes per pound sounds ok as a rough guideline (if someone knows better correct me) but it's not a big deal if it finishes early, it can hold at a low temperature (like, oven at 160) for a long time.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 19, 2019

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Whalley posted:

You meant 200, right? Pork cooked to an internal temperature of 300 is pork cooked into a thick log of jerky.

he means with a 300 degree oven to cook it for 30 minutes a pound, not get the internal temp to 300

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

It's about 4lbs 4 oz so i expect about 4 hr cook time to try and hit 180ish deg internal temperature and I did mean cooking at 300 degrees. I figure I'll make the spice paste tonight, marinate a few days and toss it in Saturday afternoon to see what happens. I have cooked just about every form of meat expert this style pork in the oven, hopefully it will turn out tasty.

Would hitting a internal off 180 and then setting the oven lower to hold the pork temperature be a decent idea? In the ideaof maintaining a higher internal temperature for longer make for tender pork?

Rythe fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 19, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tbh it's a very forgiving cut, you'll be fine just throwing it in from the fridge at 300 for four hours. It'll take a long time to actually hit 180 and it'll be nearly done by the time it reaches it.

What I do like doing is cooking it at 300 until it's done, taking it out while you bring the oven to 425, then giving it a final sear (15 minutes or so) before serving. Kenji calls it the "reverse sear" and it can get some nice outside on the pork.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 19, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Squashy Nipples posted:

Where exactly in New England are you?

I worked for a bit at one of my buddy's pizza shops, and in the Boston area, people like their beef dry and overcooked, and the sandwich rolls to be pale and undercooked. It's gross.
A common order was "extra-well done/crispy", and then add mayo to moisten it back up. Gross! A cheese steak should be juicy and just the right amount of greasy, and does NOT need mayo.

I want to blame the Irish for this, but some other ethnicities were worse; it really is a regional affliction.

I'm in southeast NH. Most of the steak bombs I've consumed were in Manchester where I worked for a few years

e: a lot of Greek and French Canadian-descended restaurateurs in the area, so that may be why they turn out juicy and flavorful instead of sickly and pale like the irish (I'm one of those new englanders by birth) prefer I suppose

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 19, 2019

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

dino. posted:

Amma’s on chestnut. They’ll have Chettinad food, which is gonna have some of those spices they use more in the north (cardamom, cinnamon, clove) because it’s a wealthy region. And they’ll have some pretty meat centric dishes. But don’t let that stop you from trying their vegetarian stuff. You’re bound to enjoy it.

Just finished up at Amma's! Super killer, ate up a bunch of appetizers which were really good. But because I'm a filthy meat eater for an entree I went with the Chettinad with the nattu kozhi and it totally stole the show, I'm head over heels for this particular curry now! The Thalassery with veggie mix was delicious too, but that chettinad is all I can think about now haha.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

No Wave posted:

Tbh it's a very forgiving cut, you'll be fine just throwing it in from the fridge at 300 for four hours. It'll take a long time to actually hit 180 and it'll be nearly done by the time it reaches it.

What I do like doing is cooking it at 300 until it's done, taking it out while you bring the oven to 425, then giving it a final sear (15 minutes or so) before serving. Kenji calls it the "reverse sear" and it can get some nice outside on the pork.

Thanks for the follow up advice and I appreciate all the great information from everybody, excited to cook a big ole slab of meat.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Also get an instant pot so you can make carnitas in like an hour.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Discendo Vox posted:

Wahey, the name's back! Time to start passing over the sub looking for "The Sub Forum".

It had run its course when I realized I was researching TCC's reports in the mod queue out of reflex. :)

Croatoan posted:

Also get an instant pot so you can make carnitas in like an hour.

This is the way. Pressure cook 'em until they're fall-apart, then shred and toss under the broiler to crisp up.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Doc Crows- probably the best food we had in Louisville. Really well done southern food. Large whiskey selection. Fantastic cocktails.

My parents just sent back that they went to Doc Crows and loved it, thanks for the suggestion mate.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A Sometimes Food posted:

My parents just sent back that they went to Doc Crows and loved it, thanks for the suggestion mate.

Awesome I’m glad they had a good time!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

fingat update: thumb has some weird feeling in the tip of the finger, but it has healed up pretty well, all things considered. Currently, there is just a scab roughly the size of a cooked piece of long grain rice. We got our bill in the mail. It looks like, including our co-pay and her employee discount and a "hey, if you actually pay this bill" reduction, we are out $225 out of pocket with the final bill, including insurance and our portion, clocking in at $900 bucks or so, which, for our non-American readers, is a pretty drat cheap trip to the ER, which my we can afford...this time

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Charcuterie check. Two of the first lomos case hardened like crazy so they got tossed. But this guanciale came out loving fantastic

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Unf, that's pretty

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Charcuterie check. Two of the first lomos case hardened like crazy so they got tossed. But this guanciale came out loving fantastic

If the only issue is hardening, you can vacuum seal for a couple months and moisture will equalize

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

That's some awesome looking guanciale!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Now I've got some hardening issues.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That's some drat fine looking meat!

That Works posted:

Now I've got some hardening issues.

:golfclap:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

pile of brown posted:

If the only issue is hardening, you can vacuum seal for a couple months and moisture will equalize

I thought about that but it was rock hard on the outside and dripping on the interior. I figured they were the test batches anyway to dial in the process. No big loss on money there. I have two in vacuum bags that were a bit better to even out over the next few months. Hopefully they work out.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I had some duck prosciutto that got forgotten in a corner and I thought it was toast but 2 months in vac made it right as rain. Pretty miraculous

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Anybody with a good fermenting crock suggestion? I was thinking 5L both because I have big hands to fit through the mouth of the jar and also yknow, you can always make smaller batches and the day I need to make kimchi for 10 but cannot would be an ignominious defeat at best.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just use a 1 gallon plastic jug for my kimchi.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I made my first-ever pesto today. Hot drat, is that some tasty stuff. I also bought my first full-sized food processor to make it as I've mused my blender to make salsas and stuff in the past like an idiot

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eat This Glob posted:

I made my first-ever pesto today. Hot drat, is that some tasty stuff. I also bought my first full-sized food processor to make it as I've mused my blender to make salsas and stuff in the past like an idiot

If you've got a pressure cooker and a full size food processor you can make hummus super easy too.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
the thing with pesto is you have to be so careful with the pine nut sourcing. I got pineal dysgeusia once when I lived in Malta and it was awful and I never have eaten them since. Italy is only an hour away but they still get Chinese/Korean pine nuts. I’ve been looking for a good USA source but haven’t convinced myself to drop the major $ needed.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Anybody with a good fermenting crock suggestion? I was thinking 5L both because I have big hands to fit through the mouth of the jar and also yknow, you can always make smaller batches and the day I need to make kimchi for 10 but cannot would be an ignominious defeat at best.
I've got one of the nice German fermentation crocks with fitted weights and the fancy inverted ashtray style airlock lid and I like it fine and it's nice and I do about 10% of my fermentation in it because holy poo poo when cukes start producing one fermentation vessel ain't enough.

For most of my fermentation I end up using quart mason jars with airlock lids for most of the small batch poo poo like hot sauce and various sized cambros for the rest. With the cambros I just got a bunch of airlock stoppers for fermenting e.g. beer in demijohns and used a hole saw to drill a matching-sized hole in the stock cambro lids. I've also made a shitload of kimchi in plain ol' unmodified cambros, but the airlock mod is like 5 minutes work so I figured what the gently caress.

Speaking of overdoing it with fermentation, does anyone own one of those chest-type fermentation fridges? They're all designed for fermenting kimchi, but just wondering if anyone's used them for other kinds of fermentation and/or charcuterie.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

If you've got a pressure cooker and a full size food processor you can make hummus super easy too.

Or just cook chickpeas on the stove or used tinned! We make humous all the time. We now have a bit more freezer space so I want to cook a load of dried chickpeas and freeze portions, rather than using tinned. (One can also make eg tasty white bean spreads/dips)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If you buy your chickpeas from Rancho Gordo, they don't need pressure or soaking. Two hours on the stovetop from dry, sometimes less. Add some tea leaves and it's more like 90 minutes. They also have a noticeably better texture and flavor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Christopher Kimball's War on Flavor continues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywXAlwcsYJk

Not only does he say you don't need to bother with maillard, he is extolling the virtues of water in place of stock in a stew recipe

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

loving boomers

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

he breaks out in a sweat upon seeing one fleck of cayenne

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Not only does he say you don't need to bother with maillard, he is extolling the virtues of water in place of stock in a stew recipe

Ah yes, water, known the world over for being “cheap and clean.”

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

Is that the episode where he says that water is his favorite ingredient? For some reason I watched an episode recently where he said that and I just laughed. He's a joke.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Lmao he's so unfamiliar with the concept of umami that he pronounces it "ya mommy". He says that browning meat takes forever and doesn't smell good and a woman smiles and nods. The other dipshit with the haircut refers to cardamom and cinnamon as "exotic". I am two and a half minutes into this video.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Christopher Kimball, the whitest dude in America.

I used to like him on ATK, even though their recipes were all fiddly bullshit. When did he become so anti-flavor? I know the signs were there before, particularly with not browning stew meat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

prayer group posted:

Lmao he's so unfamiliar with the concept of umami that he pronounces it "ya mommy". He says that browning meat takes forever and doesn't smell good and a woman smiles and nods. The other dipshit with the haircut refers to cardamom and cinnamon as "exotic". I am two and a half minutes into this video.

Jesus

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
"Comments are disabled for this video"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

My wife's family has several friends who really like his stuff and think he's a genius and also told me not to go down the "ethnics" aisle in the grocery store because "you don't know what they eat" and that's the kind of person I think of when I think Christopher Kimball