Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mrs. Gunderson posted:

Well I don't know why you kids want a picture of my kettle but here you go.

oh goodness mrs g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i like to use avocado oil if i need a high smoke point but it is practically the least neutral oil out there except for some of the toasted nut ones.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What are the wormy things?

For lol's sake, here was the laughably vegetarian version:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

For lol's sake, here was the laughably vegetarian version:

which, now that i look at it, really appears to be a giant square rock smashing some sort of tiny animal.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Coworker just gave me one of those himalayan salt blocks. What's the highest and best use here?

put on grill, sear things on hot salt?

or I dunno, stick a light bulb in it and get stoned while talking about how your magic fuckin' hippy lamp cleanses negative ions or some poo poo.

Rurutia posted:

100g of fat is literally 900 calories alone. Christ, don't eat like normal then drink 900 calories of oil.

Keep doing what you were doing with the avocados and cheese.

three days of an extra 900 calories would, at the very, very most, net you less than a pound of weight gain, which you could then easily take off over the next week. but generally I agree because drinking olive oil, ew.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eat a pound, pound and a half of escolar. It's a nice fatty fish.

you're a mean drunk, Flash Gordon Ramsay.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you guys i have a bottle of avocado oil in my cupboard; what if he just drinks that?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

les fleurs du mall posted:

lol thats a great recipe but it makes me laugh cause it reminds me of being a poor student. We would wait til the end of the academic year and go to the halls of residence, emptying the kitchens there of all leftover condiments and spices, non-perishables and basically anything the students left behind. This is actually how i learnt about tumeric, nigella, fenugreek and cumin
which is why your recipe reminded me of it.

Personally, I always add yoghurt to curries. Not to take off the heat, but because of the rich and creamy consistency it gives to curry - which i hate when runny.

im going to convert this into a visual recipe for the visual learners here

are the boobs required because honestly im not super interested

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I deep fried SV burgers recently and loved them, maybe do the deep fry from frozen steaks?

This may also seem like it'll kill you th ough.

Ive been giving a lot of thought to prepping SV burgs and then deep frying to order the next time I have a ton of people over. What was the timing like?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

biggfoo posted:

Terrible misappropriation of a banana hanger/headphone stand.

you know there's no way that gets sanitized properly.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hauki posted:

I like Deborah Madison's veg cookbooks a fair bit

I'm super skeptical of anything serious eats publishes anymore unless like multiple people I personally know vouch for it

Her vegetarian cooking for everyone is outstanding. Ottolenghi also has lots of great veg recipes in his books, all of which are good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I mean at the end of the day it’s just sautéed kale and mushrooms, either you’re going to like it or not, it’s not like there’s much to the recipe.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

i mean, throw it in a crock pot maybe and have a hot meal ready for you after a hard day?

It probably would taste fine sliced on a sandwich except for the kiwis

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

It was a 6 hour probation who gives a gently caress

but my internet points!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Why would you do this to someone? :v:

Do it anyway croissants are worth the pain in the rear end.

You should peep that probation reason. Io started it, but by god I will finish it.

Honestly with a little practice I think croissants are pretty achievable. The biggest issue I find people have is patience, i.e., not enough.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hey stupid question here but how is concha bread normally consumed? I mean, yes yes orally and all that, but do I heat it, butter it, put jam on it or what. It just kind of tastes like a bland enriched dough, so I'm a little underwhelmed and figure that I must be doing something wrong.

i just ripped and dipped in coffee. but i'm also clearly not mexican so

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just a quick rant but goddamn, this is twice in a row I've had tortillas get mold before I could make it through a pack of 10. Guess I should start freezing the drat things, I've never had this problem before.

Are you keeping them in the fridge?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

No, but I never needed to in the past

Keep them in the fridge. Storing bread products, especially tortillas, in the fridge is fine, just don’t constantly put them in and and take them out and put them in, etc.

BrianBoitano posted:

They fit well in my cheese drawer, even if I buy the 50 pack. I'd never considered room temperature, I think you've just gotten lucky in the past.

Agree

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Every Mexican kitchen I've ever been in has at least 5 pounds of corn tortillas in the fridge. Especially since they need to be burned on the comal or an open flame before you can serve them, you might as well store them cold.

tbh though corn tortillas dry out so quickly (unless maybe vacpacked, i guess) i don't think they're worth keeping more than you use in a day or two at home if you aren't making your own

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Bread can be refrigerated if you intend to toast all of it

This, and also lots of breads do fine in the fridge. What makes it bad is when you cool it down, warm it up, cool it down, warm it up, etc. If you don’t plan to eat all of a large loaf within a day or two, it’ll often end up less stale by being left in the fridge for several days. The more enriched a dough is, the staler extended fridge stays can make it, in my experience, but it still doesn’t turn bread into some inedible thing.

I really think part of the issue is that people don’t keep it in good containers while it’s in the fridge. Bread kept in a standard frost-free freezer for more than a few weeks is terrible

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 16, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Corn tortillas are only "bread" in the broad sense of the word, though.

I’ve never had a corn tortilla moulder before it became leather so I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed op was using flour

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pile of brown posted:

Bread goes bad in 2 ways, staling and spoilage. Fridge prevents spoilage and room temp slows staling, where you store it depends on how long you want to have it and what you're planning to do with it

Staling doesn’t speed up in the fridge if bread is properly stored, though. You get a hit when you put it in the fridge the first time about equal to a day or so out, and as long as you take it out, get some, and put it back, the staling isn’t noticeably faster.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

That Works posted:

Having a lot of bread staling is just a good excuse to make either stuffing or bread pudding. You can't lose folks.

Agree. Or strata, French toast, muhammara, bread crumbs, stew thickener, panzanella....

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

You forgot Knoedel, Germany's response to stuffing that is strictly better in every way. Especially cut up and sauteed in a little butter with some gravy. It's so good.

Can’t forget what you’ve never heard of. Although looking those up it seems most are boiled dumplings. They sound good, tho.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

They’re kind of like boiled stuffing. The basic version is cubed stale bread with chopped onions and eggs as a binder but you can also add liver and then cook them in broth and have Leberknödelsuppe which is delicious. Or 8,000 other versions.

Right, it seems like a lot of them are just boiled bread, too. The "stuffing" kind seems to be a variant? Either way I'm sure they're delicious.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I threw my starter away a few weeks ago. It's too much faff when the results from no-knead are almost as good (unless one goes to a huge amount of effort, which I am not prepared to do). I also hated how much was wasted with feeding and discarding, and it was always a touch sour for me. I know if I'd fed it more it would have been less sour, but that would have meant even more discard. I had a very active starter with excellent rise, but it just wasn't worth it. I've done the same thing 3 times now. I used it primarily for no-knead sourdough.

The internet, by and large, is totally wrong about sourdough and wastes way too much. It’s not nearly as finicky as you think. You can leave it in the fridge for weeks or months at a time, add a tablespoon or two to a 1:1 flour:water mixture, and throw away the rest.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Tried making meatloaf again and oh lord it's awful. Important things to remember: make sure to use part beef, pork, and veal! And never use uncooked vegetables! :negative:

Depending on your binder, and how many you use, uncooked veg can be okay...but if you're using a lot, yeah, you need to get that water out. I've literally never put veal in meatloaf though (veal is kind of awful), and I think you could totally do an all-beef meatloaf depending on what binders and fat content you use. Pork mix is tasty, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I am honestly surprised at all this veal in meatloaf thing. I've literally never seen or heard of it being used before

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I did keep it in the fridge but the process of waking it for baking (esp so it was well fed and not too sour) did require a few feeds and discards.

No, it doesn’t. Just the other day I pulled out a container of starter from the fridge that I haven’t touched since last year. Mixed up 100 grams of flour and 100 grams of water, added one heaping (to the extent that a proteolytic puddle can heap) tablespoon of starter to it, stirred, put a lid on it and left it on the counter. A day or two later, good, active starter.

You really don’t need to use or throw away nearly as much as people tend to think.

The thing about sourdough is that you don’t need very much if you’re willing to be patient.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 18, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

So, you posted that presumably in some kind of gotcha, but my point was in dealing with the waste and upkeep of a starter. I didn’t say you could take a starter you hadn’t used for months and immediately make bread with it, but gj at feeling superior, I guess.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

How sour was it?

How sour a sourdough is is going to depend on how long you let it ferment and at what temperatures. If you want it more sour, longer and in the fridge is best as it gives the bacteria a better chance to compete against slowed yeast activity. If you want it less sour, quick and room temperature is better.

I just looked at the starter this morning (I keep it in the fridge) and it smells like pretty standard sourdough. I decided not to use it because my SO requested sandwich bread, which I make enriched, and I don't like enriched sourdoughs.

Also, your specific starter makeup is going to be influenced by your average storage temperatures, too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Part of the whole "waking" of a sourdough starter is that you're selecting for a population of yeast that will provide a fast rise.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I did overnight at room temp. Texture and crumb weren’t very different to no-knead and it was noticeably sour.

Yes and no. I would not mess with a cake recipe too much, but bread is very forgiving of variance. What a scientific approach can do is help isolate which factors affect your bread, and how. And yes, always measure by weight!

Yes; the specific populations in a starter are what’s going to determine that, and it’s something that you can’t predict outside of general guidelines since I’m not using your flour or house to make it. I’m not surprised about the texture. No knead is fine; the long and usually high hydration is what determines most of the texture in these breads, and that’s hardly specific to the no-knead craze.

I don’t care to do the no-knead stuff that much because i don’t think it’s that easy to work with compared to other doughs. It’s not as versatile imo.

As for cakes, the only really touchy thing about them is chemical leavening. Almost every other aspect can be modified without much trouble.

The exactness matters to make a repeatable product. If you want something tasty, it's far less important, even for cakes and whatnot. Variations in proportions change baking time as much as anything.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Speaking of the non-sourdough sammich bread I mentioned

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

That kind of press is so much easier than the spinny type. I had both at one point and tried using the spin type on the orange halves after I had pressed them to see how much juice I was missing out on and the answer was almost none.

Dave Arnold I think did a test on this and said that the spinny types lost every time probably due to pith getting put into the juice in minute quantities

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I am extremely skeptical that san marzanos, dop and all, are any better when cooked into a sauce than any other not-terrible canned tomato. I’ve bought them before and they don’t make my sauce taste any different.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I don't care for adding butter to tomato sauce for traditional red sauce stuff. It's fine, but for me personally, it's just not as good as olive oil. I'll take a can of tomatoes or a jar of passata, cook it with diced garlic, sometimes onion. Whatever herbs are around, usually thyme and oregano, or a couple handfuls of fresh basil, maybe some rosemary. Dried go in at the beginning, fresh go in later. Salt. Check for acidity / sweetness and add either if necessary.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SubG posted:

It's probably Hazan just because she's responsible for a huge loving chunk of all traditional Italian cooking knowledge in the English-speaking world but I don't remember where I first learned it from. It's super simple so even if it wasn't Hazan directly it was probably from somebody who got it from her.

I haven't done a bunch of double blind experiments or anything, but my impression is that I can tell the difference if it's a fresh sauce and can't if it's either a sauce that's been cooked down (so like an all day Sunday gravy type thing) or if it's been through the freezer first.

Did you mean this about butter or san marzano

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SubG posted:

Butter vs olive oil.

I don't think I can tell the difference between dop tomatoes and non-dop tomatoes in any application. I end up using more tomatoes from the garden than from a can anyway.

Ah yea I'm sure it depends on how much you add but the butter thing took the internet by storm a few years ago and i just didn't care for it as much. It's fine? But there's some sweetness about it I didn't like. This is for a standard red sauce, though, I don't have any necessarily philosophical issues with tomato and butter together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm not that great a baker, but I always read it as "baking is an exact science compared to cooking". Like when my mom was teaching me to cook she basically slapped measuring things out of my hand and emphasized learning to cook by eye, but when I was baking, yeah, then you had to measure. Baking by eye was advanced stuff.

To this day if I'm doing say, a sauce recipe "tablespoon" = "a glug that I roughly know to be right screw it I'm gonna taste this as I go", while a new muffin recipe or whatever I'll probably at least grab a spoon even if I'm still just judging relative to the spoon vaguely.

Also Muir Glen are the best canned tomatoes and I will defend them to my dying breath.

And I'm either a pretentious dick or a filthy philistine depending on who you talk to cause my go-to red sauce is just a simple arrabiata. Look, spicy things are delicious and they sop up garlic bread wonderfully, okay?

Neither imo, this whole idea of secret family recipe all-day tomato sauce magic bullshit is dying out and good riddance