Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Ground floor posting!

I'm really not a fan of sushi anymore, mostly because I can't justify the cost when really good fish and mediocre fish taste almost the same to my palate. I think smoking, hard liquor, and flavorpunch food have taken their toll, because I remember I used to enjoy it a lot more.

Will still eat the hell out of uni though, and japanese food is so varied that losing sushi isn't a big hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

pnumoman posted:

I'm kinda approaching that from the other way around. I've eaten lots of really good sushi since I was young, so all the sushi I have access to now just tastes... mediocre. And now that I'm paying for my sushi, instead of mooching off of rich relatives when I was young, I'm really not willing to go and pony up serious percentages of my paycheck for some sushi that reminds me of what I used to eat.

And I'm really not willing to go around to the neighborhood "sushi" joint and pay like 7 bucks for a "dragon" roll or whatever the gently caress the kids eat nowadays.

Yeah, I feel the same way about eating some tex wasabi sushi poo poo, it basically eliminates the point of eating raw fish, which is tasting the quality. There is some stuff I really like still (I had this uni/foie sushi thing and Nobu Malibu) but that isn't really sushi and it is super expensive.

I also think I am becoming obsessed with this restaurant near my place which is really awesome, but every time I go I am seriously disappointed by at least one item. It's fairly new, but it feels like a bad girlfriend.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Gotta agree with the lavender hate, though I think it is less a product of the flower itself than ingrained western grandma memories.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

All you lonely people just need to drink heavily alone in you apartment like i do. Cures the lonely right up.

Covered the Westminster dog show today and it was basically the most awesome thing ever. The best dogs in the world, gathered in one place, with all their crazy owners. So much fun.

I love corgis!

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I have to work until midnight, so it is time for halal to drink alone at a bar on valentines day and show up to a late press conference drunk. Wheeee.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

My bar is full of happy couples and were giving out cupcakes. So cute I want to puke. Come bring some misanthropy my way.

That is terrible. Make them drink malort.

I managed to get this ballerina's phone number last night while drinking alone at the bar! She was wearing trashy sweats and eating chicken tenders with a vodka tonic so all in all a pretty sharp lady. (And she's a ballerina!)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

bunnielab posted:

The are all inherently broken in some way from bring yelled at their entire childhood. They also look weird naked.

This is like every girl I date.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Just make them wear their ballet slippers to bed for extra-sexiness.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I worked 34 hours in the past two days. I am going to drink all the whiskey in Brooklyn. gently caress Whitney Houston forever.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Wanted to throw a thanks to Wiggles for direction on the baque stew, it turned out great, squid, cod, shrimp and scallops in a spicy paprika-tomato broth. Sooooo good.

Also big thanks to gravity for the chinese cleaver I got for secret santa. It owns owns owns, I like it better than my chef knife, I made the whole meal using only that cleaver!

Veggie Melange did call me out on having a table that had only whiskey, weed, and tums on it. Pretty funny.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

What is everyone making for Fat Tuesday? I was thinking shrimp etoufee.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Beer! Beer! Beer!

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Just make people do some fat rails of bullion.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Does anyone have any good food suggestions for Bangor Maine? Because the yelp page for this town makes me cackle endlessly with laughter.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I find that in the boonies, the classier sounding the hotel, the more likely it is to charge by the hour and have sheets that sound like rice krispies when you sit on them.

Holiday Inns aren't too bad, and the most important thing is consolidating your hotel points in a single chain.

edit: Just saw it is a Hilton chain, go for that.

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 28, 2012

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Getting to gold at different airlines and hotel chains is some sort of weird real life version of a game with levelling up.. It really speaks to the nerd in you!

The advantages on the other hand (upgrades, and a loving newspaper, and also free stays), are really not worth the investment of time, and leaves you feeling like an empty husk.

I really view it as a bonus, it is basically free money, and the more you do it, the more perks you get. Free upgrades, never flying coach, going in the quick lines...I guess it kind of is like an RPG. We totally need to incorporate a ten-sided dice into this thing.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that lobsters are seasonal. They're caught year round, but the best tasting meat comes from newshell lobsters in the summer. The harder the shell, the blander the taste. Lobster rolls are only awesome when the lobster itself is awesome. Castine is worth a visit anyway, it's a very cool town.

That's what I understood, so I ate the worst mexican food ever and returned to New York today. Upon which I was told I would be on a plane Friday night back to Afghanistan for the week. On the plus side, that's a whole bunch of miles. On the minus side, well...

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

You guys are broken, I love lobster, though agree SOME crab is better. The texture of butter-poached lobster is incredible, and yeah, it's a vessel for other flavors at times, but the inherent sweetness of the flesh is still noticeable.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Now that I'm back in the third world all I want to do is go to my gourmet grocery store and get a bunch of serrano ham and eat it on the couch while drinking red wine and whiskey while watching old episodes of frasier.

I also remember why I hate dubai every loving time I go through it.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Kenning posted:

I did that once when I made risotto at like 9 in the morning and I regretted it all day.

Risotto and fried eggs is the best.

I am experiencing an unreal amount of jetlag. I fall asleep at midnight and wake up at 2:30. And that's it. gently caress this poo poo.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Seriously if I could grow happy hat in a pot on my roof in my garden I would never be alone.

I'm gonna start a grow-op, make a killer strain called happy-hat, and watch it lead to the end of all wars.

Or I would keep it for myself and get mega-ripped 24/7.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I wonder if any of us would encourage someone to also enter our respective lines of work. I know I wouldn't.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

It's friday, it's 11.22AM, and I will now go get shitfaced!

Happy weekend goons

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

In 24 hours I will be bartending a block off the parade on st Patrick's day. Today I sip sparkling wine on the patio of my parent's house. Tomorrow. I drive my enemies before me to be reawrded with pocket change.

I am totally going to keep you company (have to go for a j. crew run anyway) You can be part of my lost weekend!

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

therattle posted:

Inspection platforms! I got very excited when I saw one of these in Berlin (in Wim Wenders's editing suite, actually); I even sent my wife a picture of it (unoccupied, of course).

To celebrate my resignation I've cracked open a bottle of cheap red someone gifted us to drink while I cook dinner. That'll do, pig, that'll do.

Do you know Wim? How is he? That's super cool.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I'm want to start a "high" seafood trend among paleo eaters where they stick shellfish in a bag for weeks on end so they can suck the putrefied goo from the leg of a king crab and then die.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Rumor has it that models prepare for big shows by buying a bunch of cocktail shrimp, leaving it out for a while, then gorge on the rotting shrimp so they can get food poisoning and trim down by the inevitable consequences.

I stress that this is rumor, and I have not heard it from an actual model, as I am a horrible, horny, forever alone goon.

Whenever I want to lose weight I just put some mayonnaise out in the sun for a few hours and mix it with some kashi.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Darval posted:

This

And yeah, she had big tits. I think they need to be retardedly big, anime style.

That doesn't even work well. I think you need to just really, really love boobs to get off on it. Thrusting away at someone's chest isn't even close to erotic otherwise.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

SubG posted:

I always dig finding out which sex acts are and are not emotionally mature enough for GWS regulars. :allears:

I do missionary with the lights on and in silence. I keep my socks on. It is the only way to be truly respectful to your partner.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

English is the shattered brandy-glass in the roaring fireplace of language.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

dino. posted:

Dear LJ,

Was at a gay wedding last night. Both the men are actors, so they had a showtunes thing going. Ugh. Showtunes. However, the festivities were truly a celebration of life and love. It was a wonderful thing, and I had a fantastic time. We've got another 4 weddings to go to this year. Here's hoping I don't go broke trying to get gifts for all of those people.

Showtunes own. I brought down the house at karaoke last night singing "Diamond's are a girl's best friend."

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, she is the best, though my favorite will always be seven year itch, what a fantastic movie.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Nyc goons, any leads on natural casing for sausages?

Los Paisano's on smith street in cobble hill will have them (and everything else under the sun)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, I got sent to Orlando, hopefully I will be back tomorrow, not terribly pleased ATM due to an old friend coming into town...who will now be staying at my place alone.

Sucks.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

I got a couch. It's the second most expensive thing I've ever bought (after my car). I feel like a grownup.

When friends stay at my place without me I have one rule: don't bang on my couch. I love it more than life ( I hate life atm)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

The hate stems from the fact that he's a demagogue and he hangs out with that vespa-riding, tip stealing ginger.

:lol:

So the orlando food scene around my hotel is pretty decent. Everything is in strip malls or chain-looking places but I have had some really excellent meals, including an italian restaurant last night where I gorged on smelt and osso bucco, was rad.

I want to go back to new york so badly :smith:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

BTW, who is in charge of the Cook or Die threads?

irc

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Babyfood thread: Look what poo poo I stuck in a blender!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Worst? Lit an empty bottle of everclear on fire and watched as it blowtorched my hand. Was so drunk I could barely feel it, woke up the next morning with skin that looked like crisped porchetta.