Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

mindphlux posted:

cool, glad you managed to find a costco

A Jewish grandma would be impressed with the patience of this burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

The first meeting of the robot boy baking society occurred during that phone call.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

That looks like something in Macau

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Protip: don't promise to make cassoulet for your so on Valentine's Day.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Evan Williams and Chopin vodka are basically the only liquor I drink anymore and I will fight for their honor.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

So I'm stuck in Kingston Jamaica and while the hotel I'm in has decent food does anyone know of any must eat places I could get my driver to take me to? I love all Jamaican food so looking for jerk chicken or something that will change my life.

On the other hand everything is probably closed bc of this drat hurricane is blue mountain coffee a good gift? I heard it owns and I don't drink coffee much.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

FARRO FTW

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

The internet is a strange thing. I've known most of y'all longer than I've known most people that are actively still in my life :kimchi:

I use the cleaver you gave me all the time and I still recommend son of a gun even thought it's been like seven years and it may have closed by now.

Yes I still lurk!

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

halal?! what's up man? been forever.

Eh not much. Just making tv and being fat. Quit drinking tho! (I'm "California sober" so I still smoke dope)

Honestly the fact that most of us are Facebook friends on this board kind of renders it a bit irrelevant. I still read BSS bc they have good posters and I like plot summaries of comics.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I've read a lot about including baking soda in the brine, which helps the texture. I've never tried it myself but it might be something to consider.

I do it with shrimp, it makes a big difference.

This is counterintuitive since it's grilling but make sure your heat isn't too high, I've found that's what normally fucks my lobster. But other than that grilling shellfish is just kinda dicey wth how little time you have to pull it.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

All of you are assholes.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

pile of brown posted:

I just got yelled at by a moderator on a Facebook group for suggesting that someone who advised flash boiling meat to prevent botulism shouldn't be telling people to do that.

Just change the water if you’re using the same cleansing vat for clothing and food.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I miss the heady days of multiple people trying that method using half inch steaks and melting down at their butter poached meat.

My old man only makes fried eggs as floaters because he’s from Oklahoma, cooks two pounds of bacon at a time, and then adds a bunch from his gross rear end open fat jar that he swears is a German secret.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Besides his love of salt, what is most people's beef with his recipes? Even his social media seems innocuous to me. I haven't had anything of his turn out poorly tho I do use my own common sense when cooking...is it a preference thing? He does have a tendency to bludgeon the tongue (umami bombs left and right) but I'm down with that as an ex-chain smoker who is frequently congested.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Eh, I guess I have a higher tolerance for pretentiousness especially considering he seems to be the successor to Kimball.

I'm pretty shocked at how lovely he is on camera tho. Any half decent producer should be able to mask that but at that level I doubt anyone is paying for that!

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Has anybody tried any Milk Street recipes? Pretension aside, I like Chris Kimball and I've listened to his career reboot company's podcasts, but not cooked anything from them yet.

Their ads for their eponymous cookbook tout a stovetop cake and a steamed chicken, which could be :psyduck: or could be ATK surprising tips reincarnated.

(Fake edit: after cursory googling, steamed chicken appears to be a regional thing, but stovetop cake still looks sketchy)

If it’s kimball it is probably largely flavourless (I really dislike kimball if that hasn’t become super clear)

I do think it’s kind of weird that SE kind of has a monopoly on go-to recipes for a lot of people these days. Their site sucks and the contributors are annoying but most experienced cooks, myself included, go there first. gently caress, my mom used to write recipes for a living and tested the poo poo out of all of them and she goes there over her own stuff most of the time! For as broad a topic as food is you’d think there were options that weren’t playing Russian roulette like epicurious or whatever can be.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I actually like most of the recipes in saveur and bon appetit but their websites kind of suck and going back into texture to hunt down half-remembered recipes is annoying.

Man whoever can make a half-decent interface wins huh?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

therattle posted:

I got given Modernist Cuisine at Home as a gift but I'm considering selling it as it seem quite meaty.

Speaking of, I have the complete modernist cuisine set that I have no real use for. Anyone know if there is a resale market for these things? Or am I condemned to bring it with me wherever I move forever and ever.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

One of my friends posted an IG pic with saltbae at his restaurant and we have been dunking on him ever since.

There ARE burgers that are 30+ that are worth in (minetta tavern black Label burger comes to mind) but high price point burgers mostly make me want to go to my local place (282 burger on Atlantic in Brooklyn check it and hit me unif you’re in the hood!)

That said as much as I tease my gf/buddy for making social media a part of dinner I don’t really care. If posting on IG is part of what makes a satisfying meal for you go to town! Just don’t use flash.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

It’s not that hot but I want to rep Secret Aardvark. My gf got me some from Portland on a business trip and I put it on everything.

For hot hot I really like this “one fuckin drop at a time” hot sauce which really doesn’t need the eye dropper it comes with but has pretty good flavor and nice punch.

For some reason people always think of me as a “hot sauce guy” which I’m convinced is because I’m Mexican and Mexicans don’t even eat their food that bloody spicy. So now I have like 14 bottles knocking around my kitchen including gross poo poo like bacon hot sauce which I keep meaning to throw out but end up forgetting about.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I don’t really drink anymore and can’t remember the last time a waiter acted snobby about me not ordering booze, which is a good thing for them bc I would flip the gently caress out.

I live in New York and travel a lot and get plenty of bad service everywhere but haven’t really seen it booze related, though it does help that most my friends family and coworkers are toeing the line of alcoholism.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

That comic makes me feel generally embarrassed. But I still re-read achewood sooooo

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah after Onstad decided to pursue his dream of being an artisanal soda magnate it fell off a cliff.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I’ve been in Korea the past month and have been living off Gorgonzola pizza and soy sauce fried chicken I’m gonna die soon

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If I eat any of those three items or dried Pollock soup or mandoo any more I’m gonna drown myself in the East Sea

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

yup i hate spicy food and traveling nail on the head right there

Pyeongchang kinda sucks all the Koreans working for me keep ripping on it, it is pretty hilarious. They are all from Seoul and keep on telling me that they want to go home. Gangneung is a little bit better but tbh the Olympics are kind of rear end, though one of my fixers is taking me to a seafood market where I will eat alive things and infinite crab I'm pretty pumped.

edit: korea also has an amazing coffee game, on average better than the states

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 20, 2018

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

to a first and second approximation, all the international food that exists in korea exists in seoul

everywhere but seoul has better actualkorean food

stay the gently caress out of korea if you don't like spicy food, ok

it's not like in thailand or mexico where they have the actual spiciest food but it's labelled properly and a small portion of the cuisine

we make everything spicy, including things you thought weren't supposed to be spicy

What on earth are you even trying to say right now. Also, hate to break it to you but Korean food isn’t that spicy.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it isn't that spicy
the spiciness is omnipresent, which is why you can only eat like whatever 5 kinds of foods you're eating

Or the food in Pyeongchang kind of sucks. But keep on thinking Korean food is some kind of special club.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Oh gently caress I'm a drat moron who needs to learn to read. I'm facebook friends with the author.

I was just going to a FB group we both moderate to complain about it, and she's already posted how proud she is of writing it :negative:

Post it anyway. Post chatlogs here. Thank you for your service.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

The French are good at smoking dirt-flavored cigarettes and riding bikes. End of list.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

im colorblind so that just looks like poo poo either way

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

God I hate all of you

CHIPS FRIED WITHIN THE HOUR

BEANS MADE WITH A WEIRD AMOUNT OF LARD

a single, delicate, slice of pickled jalapeño

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART NOW LIKE FOURTEEN SHAKES OF KOSHER SALT

then like a bunch of Oaxaca cheese or cheddar or whatever.

Mortonsrecipes.txt

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

SubG posted:

Clams in black bean sauce/chi zhi chao xian.

I had a mountain of razor clams in black bean sauce the other week. I’m going back ASAP

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Even david chang (is he polarizing now??) says to just buy buns. Mindphlux you live in atlanta right? I remember from years ago there were a few asian groceries there, I can't imagine they left. I've tried to make buns a couple times and it turned out so poorly I gave up. Even watched a bunch of videos and poo poo. Now i just go to chinatown buy a bunch of buns and an octopus and call it a day.

edit: i just remembered my fav chinese jerky store closed and im sad

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I like steaming purely because I hate having an enormous vat of boiling water on my stove if I don’t have to. It gives me flashbacks to that Canadian kitchen safety PSA.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Wiggles it’s always so funny reading your posts now remembering how you used to be a fairly militant vegetarian 10 (?) years ago? Wow.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Pretty good for storing weed if you want to cut down on the smell.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Urbani truffle products

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Lol I’m on a flight to stand in front of this loving storm.

As someone who does a lot of this get a bunch of clif bars etc, tuna packets, jerky, chips, and most importantly water. A poo poo ton of water, and water cleansing kits. And toilet paper/baby wipes. It prob won’t be that bad but if the water supply gets wrecked you will need every drop. Fill your bathtubs as well for clean bathing water.

If this goes bad eating won’t be fun for a while. Accept that and focus on quantities of preserved goods that at least have some rounded nutrition.

Also hot sauce! When you are on day four of tuna some cholula can be a game changer.

Ugh gently caress my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Also get vitamins