Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Whenever natto gets brought up, I feel compelled to being back cooking with charmmi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ERD3jWOcdY

It smells like... an attic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I made C&C cakery's lavender cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting and they were amazing. Not at all overpowering.

Also. Tupelo honey- overrated or awesome? I discovered the Marine Corps MCX (Why can't we have nice things, Army?) and they carry it in their gourmet foods section. Can't decide if it's worth twenty bucks, though.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dino, I don't know where you and the hubs are on religion, but there have got to be some pretty awesome churches of any persuasion nearby. Quakers (Society of Friends) and Unitarians generally don't much give a poo poo what your theological beliefs are as long as you think that world peace and community service are awesome. Hell, one of the most well-liked and respected members of my meeting in Missouri was a hard-line atheist communist. Hobbies are another good way to meet like-minded people. thetechnoloser and I met a lot of great friends playing pub trivia (good way to meet smart people!) and inviting people you enjoy over to feed them delicious food is really not a hard sell. Also, something I've learned from being married to a soldier and thus uprooted every three years or so, is that it's okay to say "hey, I like you and we have things in common- do you want to hang out sometime?" It feels really lame to ask someone to be your friend, but the worst that can happen is they say no. Last week I helped an old blind woman read the menu at a restaurant. She's an adventurous eater and loves to try new things, but she generally dines alone and most people don't have the patience to help her out, so she ends up eating whatever the waiter thinks an old blind lady would like. We're going out for peruvian charcoal chicken this weekend, and ethiopian the next.

I sounds like a total pollyanna, but that's what's worked for me. I know how it is to not have as many friends as you would like.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I want to compliment all the kimchis but I'm afraid that if I post in that thread ricola will make me go back in time and Kim some chi last week.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Yeah, change of subject.

I snore a lot, and kick my husband, don't sleep well and sometimes yell for food runners in my sleep. So I got signed up for one of those nifty sleep studies. It should come as no surprise that it takes a handful of pharmaceuticals to keep me sane, healthy and reasonably functional. Two of these medications look almost exactly alike except for the drug's name on the bottle. They do two VERY different things.

You can see where this is going.

I just got home from a miserable night of being hooked up to monitors trying desperately to sleep and wondering why I was wide awake, only to get up and find my AM antidepressants on the night stand and my sleeping pills in the bag with my clean clothes. I have a feeling the doc might want to repeat the study.

At least I don't have a pannus.

e: Yes, Dr. House, I did touch base with poison control. They told me to avoid heights and expect to feel like a poo poo sandwich all day.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 16, 2012

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sometimes it's fun when other people see what you're reading, though. For instance, right now I'm reading The Mercy of Allah, and the looks I get from people are spectacular.

thetechnoloser and I both have Nook Colors (rooted, running cyanogen.) They are fantastic for reading in bed, since they're backlit with adjustable brightness. No bedside lamps necessary. I also love mine because it fits in my handbag. I read it on the metro, in waiting rooms... As far as buying books, there's plenty out there for free, and sometimes we'll buy a "dead tree" version for the house and to lend to friends, and acquire the e-version for the Nooks.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Phummus posted:

I'm in the market for an enamelled cast iron dutch oven. Amazon has the lodge 6 quart bad-boy for $50. The 7.5 quart one is $75. Is it worth the extra $25 for the added capacity, or will 6qt do the trick for most applications?

Look for Old Mountain brand as well. I got my enormous dutch oven from them for $35.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Some foods will react with cast iron. It doesn't ruin the skillet necessarily, it just makes the food taste like rear end, especially if it sits in the pan for a long time. I remember totally ruining a lasagne layer I whipped up with mushrooms wine and ricotta. It tasted great when I took it off the stove, but a few minutes later when I was ready to use it it tasted like metallic poo poo.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I have the stupidest apartment ever. It has a fire suppression system above the range, but it's not automatic, you have to pull a pin to activate it by hand. Where is the pin? Directly above the stovetop.

I cannot imagine a single situation where I would want to use a fire extinguisher on my range when I would not burn my entire arm reaching into the cabinet for the pin.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

That's like the perfect setup for a Rube Goldberg machine. Attach a long string to the pin, then tape the other end of the string to a piece of bread in a toaster. If you can just figure out how to start the toaster at a specific time, it can pull the string and trigger the fire suppression system while you're not around.

I took a second look and it's not quite as phenomenally stupid as it looks. The pin is already pulled and you activate it by pulling on a wire that runs around the inside edge of the hood. So the likelihood of burning the gently caress out of yourself trying to activate it is just "very very high," not "certain." I now realize it's not a system for suppressing fire, it's a system for punishing me when I accidentally catch a sleeve button or the handle of a pasta basket on the wire.

I have an actual practical fire extinguisher under the sink.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Rule .303 posted:

However, the enameled stuff is easier to color coordinate with your designer kitchen decor.

Black goes with everything but not as well as a chunk of cast iron tarted up like Fiesta ware.

Speaking of which, I keep running across Fiesta ware. The colors aside, are the sets at all usefull for real life use? My dish set is literally what is left over at the end of the garage sale and it may be time to get stuff that matches.

I worked at a place that used fiesta ware. It's good stuff- very sturdy. Also, if you mix and match colors, you can very easily pick up additional pieces- no hunting for discontinued china patterns. It is worth mentioning that pre-1973 red fiesta ware is just a little bit radioactive. http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/fiesta.htm

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

One thing to keep in mind is that lobsters are seasonal. They're caught year round, but the best tasting meat comes from newshell lobsters in the summer. The harder the shell, the blander the taste. Lobster rolls are only awesome when the lobster itself is awesome. Castine is worth a visit anyway, it's a very cool town.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Halalelujah posted:

That's what I understood, so I ate the worst mexican food ever and returned to New York today. Upon which I was told I would be on a plane Friday night back to Afghanistan for the week. On the plus side, that's a whole bunch of miles. On the minus side, well...

Well, at least you learned an important life lesson- never, ever eat mexican food in new england. It doesn't matter if it's cooked by actual Mexicans, because they have to sell it to people who consider ketchup to be spicy. There isn't a large enough non-white population to support actual authentic restaurants, with the exception of a Somali restaurant in Lewiston. (strange story there.)

You have my sympathies re: Afghanistan. I'm told it sucks more than usual this time of year.

e: I can't grammar for poo poo today.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 28, 2012

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Speaking of crab... I was thinking about how many fake foods there are out there. Without even getting into genetically modified stuff, we have

- Fake crab meat (krab) is pollack
- 99% of "wasabi" is horseradish with green food coloring
- Most stuff sold as cheese at the grocery is "cheese product"
- Most of the "blueberries" you get in muffins are corn syrup and food coloring
- Most "maple syrup" isn't
- Most "balsamic vinegar" isn't
- "Cinnamon" in the US is cassia
- Most "truffle oil" isn't

What else is there

I've actually never seen corn syrup mislabeled as maple, just referred to as such on menus or verbally.

Mainechat is getting me down. You guys are hating on lobster, real maple syrup is super expensive due to climate change- my source for grade B isn't even producing this spring because the harvest will be so lovely. AND Olympia Snowe isn't running for reelection. At least I found frozen wild Maine bluberries. I think I will make myself pity pancakes.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bombhand posted:

I don't really know what you're talking about with respect to muffin mixes, but "real" blueberries come in all sizes. I used to go picking wild blueberries and they were tiny little buggers, probably a fifth the size or less than the grocery store abominations and still less than half the size of the blueberries I now get from the bushes in my grandma's garden. They were just pure flavour, though, concentrated into a tiny, awesome package.

There are two kinds of blueberries- high bush and low bush. Low bush blueberries are often called "wild blueberries" although it is entirely possible (but kind of difficult) to farm them. They're very small and flavorful and good for you and they don't ship well. High bush blueberries are easy to farm, easy to harvest, and they stand up to international shipping. They're larger and much more "grapey." Almost all the blueberries you see in the supermarket are high bush, and the mass cultivated ones are pretty flavorless.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Safety Engineer posted:

Speaking from experience, get some Dulcolax, it works pretty well for painkiller related blockage issues. It may not be on the shelves but if you ask a pharmacy tech, they always have it on hand.

Barring that road, just pick up a poo poo-ton (pun unintended) of sugar free reeses cups and go to town.

The responsible person choice is drinking a glass of metamucil every night. I've been on a soft foods diet (basically, my dentist is an rear end in a top hat) and I avoid carbs, and this has saved me from lots of pain, but makes me feel like an old person.

The rockstar answer is to skip the coedine for an evening and drink a bottle of red wine before going to bed.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Darval posted:

Report if they fit when they arrive.. I've never dared myself, on that account

Zappos has a great return policy- they pay shipping both ways. I buy my Danskos through them.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Logistics (in a weird specialized way) is my field, so I'm familiar with 3pl firms. I refuse to deal with them if it is at all possible. Though the reasons in that article only scratch the surface of why.

Holy poo poo that's terrible. I've worked some horrible demeaning jobs, but nothing that was so institutionally torturous. Are there any major retailers who don't use these firms?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bunnielab posted:

I love my job in part because it is so rough, I often work with great people and it is really satisfyingly seeing how fast you can push yourself.

What if you didn't love your job and it was simply the best money you could make to keep your kids from going hungry?

I've chosen a difficult, sometimes insane career path too, but I chose it, and I have upward mobility. These companies are skating millimeters from violating labor laws and they're exploiting a desperate, disposable workforce to make shittons of money. Fun fact- if you're fired, you are ineligible for unemployment.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Rule .303 posted:

Wow, what country was enslaving children and gunning down labor organizers in the 50’s and 60's? Oh, right, Albania, sorry. I’m going to have to call foul on a third offense of a strawman argument: Only a sociopath or a narcissistic dictator with dreams of world conquest would be in favor of that.

Also please don’t attribute i shoot friendlies’s posts to me.

And if you really want to talk about my fantasies, they tend to include more Indonesian women than compliance with zoning ordinances, but it is a matter of taste, like the lady said when she kissed a cow.

Working conditions are always worth discussing, but I have yet to see passing laws, regulations and policy statements actually make things better. They are more likely to drive companies out of business and, “shrink the universe of available jobs” (as I believe the Department of Commerce so carefully puts it).
Actually, I thought I said that I thought that Mother Jones thought it was worthy of discussing because it was a non-union shop, and any stick works to beat that dog.

Do we want to continue this here? I’d rather make fun of Happy Hat and his struggles with the English Language

Hey, We like you. You don't have to troll to be cool. What's your favorite recipe for stew? I like to make chicken stew from the pre-roasted chickens that go on sale around 2AM.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

Hey, We like you. You don't have to troll to be cool. What's your favorite recipe for stew? I like to make chicken stew from the pre-roasted chickens that go on sale around 2AM.

SNIPE =suburban chicken stock!

Quote != edit, but you get what I mean.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

In Virginia, we have a poo poo ton of different specialty license plates (bowling enthusiast? We've got a plate for you!) which can result in hilarity. The classic is of course the "kids first" vanity plate reading EAT THE

I saw the best one. It was a Ducks Unlimited plate that read CONFIT

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Go to Auto Zone or Home Depot and get a bunch of cheap towels, then get three or four nice looking kitchen towels. Keep the lovely towels in a drawer and the nice ones on the stove handle. Never, ever use the pretty ones for anything, toss the dirty ones into the washer when you're done. Keep a roll of paper towels around for cleaning up cat vomit, etc.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

kiteless posted:

Pretty much this. Although our cats always puke on the carpet so we have to use cloth towels. But yeah, we have about 5 thirsty colored "nice" towels, and a couple dozen cheap terry towels. We go through a roll of paper towels in about 4 or 5 months, but wash towels constantly.

Also, tuppperware. We hardly use ziploc bags.

We had an apartment with linoleum floors. There were three area rugs, totaling maybe 20 square feet. Our older cat would run across the house to puke on the most expensive rug.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

man, I use side towels and paper towels, but am frustrated I don't use the side towels more.

I mean, I use them, but if I'm drying fish or something where the hand towel would get completely and instantly hosed, I use paper towels. wipe down boards and counters and stuff with side towels.

the only problem with only using side towels, in my mind, is that they get so smelly and filthy. I absolutely wouldn't want to run them with my clothes, I wouldn't have a dress shirt without stains if I did. I could chuck them in the washing machine and immediately run them, but it'd be a waste to do it for just a few towels. I could (and do) keep them in a separate laundry bin until I have enough to run a 'kitchen towel only' load - but half the time they're soaking wet and covered with food by the time I'm done cooking. even when I rinse them and prewashed them in the sink with soap before throwing them in a 'dishtowel only' basket, the heap gets so goddamn moldy and disgusting by the time I have 3 or so days worth of side towels to run.....

argh what to do

I throw them in with jeans and PJs and workclothes. If a couple kitchen towels go in with every non-delicate load, it doesn't make a difference.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I don't own jeans, and my work clothes are the ones I can't get stained. and I think if my girlfriend found my dick smelling like foul tuna, I wouldn't get blown for a month, so pjs are out. I guess I could throw them in with bath towels... but again with the tuna dick problem.

Scientists have recently discovered a substance called "laundry detergent," which, when combined with frequent laundering results in remarkably clean and non-smelly towels and clothing.

Why do I always forget you don't cook for a living?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I now know way too much about toilets. I knew "toilet inspection shelf" was a bad idea when I typed it into the search bar.

Freud was a crazy person.

Call me a spoiled out-of-touch first world white person, but I am totally okay with the fact that I interact with my poo poo as little as possible.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

When I was working at a hotel in Austin, a BDSM group would have a luncheon every month. One time, for whatever reason we were down a server and I ended up waiting on them. When I was taking dessert orders one guy ordered a cup of vanilla ice cream. I looked at him and said "Vanilla? Really?" It took about five seconds until he figured out what I meant, and then the whole room cracked up. I got a really good tip from that group...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Phummus posted:

Which reminds me. Titty-loving is fun.

If you're a dude.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

pnumoman posted:

What, you don't like a hard fleshy appendage going back and forth between buxom bosoms that looks remarkably like a flesh colored turd being pushed out then sucked back in?

Pretty much. Other things I don't enjoy include being sat upon and getting semen in my eye.

Although if Jesus (son of God, not the landscaper) wanted to titty-gently caress me, I'd probably let Him.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Toast posted:

And be drunk... And use some form of hilarious lube...

Or you could be really insecure, terrified of feminine sexuality and unable to see your partner as anything but a masturbation aid.

If you want to learn more, I can put you in touch with my ex!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I like turtles posted:

Ohh, local fancy fried chicken place is doing a lunch special of a fried green tomato BLT... I think I'll have to check that out.

I am often disappointed with fried green tomatoes. Most of the time they're cut way too thick and underseasoned.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

It's confusing, that's all..

Kind of like using "x is different than y" - shouldn't it be "x is different from y" instead? Or is it ok to use than when you compare two? I could understand it if it was in the form of comparing a difference from a subject between two other subjects, but then I guess it should still be from?

And affect and effect is interchangable too...

Also - pronounciation of certain words doesn't make sense either!

Kinda like.. beer...

Beard is pronounced as beer with a d.
Bared is pronounced as bear with a d.

effect and affect are not interchangeable.

effect is most often a noun and affect is most often a verb. This page explains it well: http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/affect-effect-grammar.html

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Phummus posted:

Affect and Effect are not interchangeable.

Affect (a verb) means 'to influence' "The shaved truffle affected the taste of my pasta dish"

Effect (a noun) means ... hmmm ... an outcome. "I didn't use enough oil in the pan, the effect was that my scallops stuck"

A split infinitive is typically when you have an adverb (it ends in 'ly') after the word 'to'. The classic example is "To boldly go where no man has gone before". It really should be "To go boldly where no man has gone before" to be correct.

A dangling participle just means that the subject of a participle (usually ending in ING) is not evident. "Wishing I could cook, the broken oven taunted me" is a dangling participle, because the "wishing" applies to me, but the only subject in the sentence. "Wishing I could cook, I cursed at the broken oven" is correct.

Pedant high five. :hfive:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Would rubbing the clove with a tiny bit of pink salt help with this? Or will you never be able to add enough without the product getting too salty?

Possibly. But at the very least that would be swatting a fly with a Buick. It's also pretty easy to get poisonous levels of nitrates if you don't measure your food and pink salt very exactly. You can't just throw a pinch into the pan.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How do you even eat things with uncooked flour?

Cookie dough. Cake batter. When are you PCSing back to civilization?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Originally it was. Some general or whatever borrowed a (mangled) phrase from Chinese to use as a motivational tool. "Hey guys let's work together and fight the bad guys! Hooyah! Gung ho!" etc. Then the meaning gradually changed over time, until it refers more to a sort of single-minded or aggressive enthusiasm.

See also: Motarded, Motard. Portmanteau of "motivated" and "retarded"

It is also worth noting that between American military branches, coordinated group grunting is surprisingly sophisticated. The difference between "Hooah!" and "Oorah!" while phonetically minor, is actually very significant, to the point where using the wrong one is a serious social gaffe, akin to wearing a read shirt to a Crips party.

:themoreyouknow:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Without a trace of irony, I say that this woman deserves all the success in the world.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

SubG posted:

Without heating the yolks? Seems like the consistency would be noticeably different from `traditional' hollandaise.

nope. if you get the temp of the butter right, it heats the yolks as you go. Only big difference is that blender hollandaise tends to be a bit on the airy side as opposed to smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

For the New England version, replace all fats with Crisco.