Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

wafflesnsegways posted:

The recipes are as bland as ever, though.

I find that Bittman's recipes are always quite sound, as long as you're willing to up the salt, usually to around 150% or so.

I came down with a nasty fever last weekend and got laid up for a couple of days. I'm over most of it now, but I seemed to have lost my sense of smell. I can taste sweet, salty, sour, etc, but that's it. Everything tastes so samey. This is a huge bummer. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Halalelujah posted:

Soooo, what is everyone doing this weekend?

Halifax donairs and a free, day-long Kathleen Turner movie marathon!

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah you guys promoted the wrong happy.

Yeah, seriously. Is there any way to give this to the awesome Happy?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Happy Hat posted:

What does tbss mean?

The first page of my googling does not provide any answers, unless you really want to talk about tract based spatial statistics, or Tata's support structure?

"too bad, so sad" maybe?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Yeah, that was my fault: wasn't checking my PMs. Also, being retarded. Hopefully I can get that fixed.

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I made some kolaches on Sunday and needed to brag to someone about how they tasted just like the ones I ate when I lived in Texas. The ones on the plate got a lot more eggwash than the others, next time I will eggwash the hell out of all of them for that nice color, but not too bad for my first try, can't wait to make another batch.

Those look great! What are they stuffed with? (Kolaches have fillings, right?)

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Bunny Ears Lawyer posted:

Do any of you have an idea of what meats go well with blue cheese sauce and pasta?
I was thinking maybe either smoked salmon or peperoni, opinions?

In the pasta, or next to it? The only meat I would mix into the pasta would be beef, but honestly, I'd just as soon not add any meat to it at all. The blue cheese is going to overpower pretty much anything you put in there, so why not let it be the star? I'd just add some wilted spinach and toasted walnuts and call it a meal.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Bunny Ears Lawyer posted:

In or on the top.
I would like to put the spinach in, but I'm a little put off by the nuts.
I did make up a blue cheese and peperoni sandwich a few days ago and adored it, so I thought maybe cured/deli meats would go well?

You could give it a shot, but ingredients that work well layered in a sandwich won't necessarily work as well all mixed up in pasta. If you like the combination of pepperoni and blue cheese though, then by all means go for it. It's not going to end up being bad, by any stretch of the imagination.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Darval posted:

^^^^^Looking forward to seeing the results!

Same: tell us how it works out!

Anyone caught The Avengers yet? I'm checking it out tomorrow with some people who are beyond excited about it, which always makes me a bit nervous. I saw Fellowship of the Ring with a huge Tolkien fan and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Scientastic posted:

Any UK goons who missed it the first time, there's a repeat of my Come Dine With Me appearance tomorrow night: More4, 1845.

Oh poo poo, I love that show. What episode/season were you on?

Oh, sorry, what series.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

homerlaw posted:

Just wear jorts, problem solved!

I remember seeing some horrifying poo poo on Consumption Junction when I was younger. This is the worst yet.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Ok seriously nobody played Double Dragon? :(

I gotta change this thing.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Shows what you know: I used ballpoint.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Fabulous news, FGR!

She's beyond adorable, by the way.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Couldn't have asked for a better thread to wake up to! :)

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Sjurygg posted:

Armenian khorovadz. If it weren't for all the delicious chewy cheesy pita bread and lahmajouns I'd have eaten it for every meal when I was down there.

Is there anything that differentiates khorovadz from other kebabs in the Middle East? My family ended up in Lebanon after the genocide, so lately, I've been finding out that most of the "Armenian" foods I grew up on are actually Lebanese.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PainBreak posted:

I was looking at an old Life magazine today and found this tasty recipe...

I wonder how much they worried that throwing that 1/4tsp of oregano into the recipe would be too exotic for the home cook.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

bartolimu posted:

I work with a bunch of people who think "cooking" is throwing the Lean Cuisine in the microwave for three minutes. Our potlucks suck. On the bright side, I've become some kind of office culinary god because I don't bring Costco sandwich trays or Rotel-Velveeta nacho dip. People ask me for cooking advice. It feels weird when a 40-something mother of three comes to me to learn the basics of making a hamburger.

Once a year, the office staff and the tradesmen (I work in a maintenance department, the office folks do payroll and paperwork so the guys with marketable skills get to use them) get together for a big 500-person potluck. That's when the good stuff comes out. We have a good ethnic cross section in our shops, most of whom can cook, so there's everything from freshly-made lumpia to Thai papaya salad to carne asada made by people who know what the gently caress they're doing. And all my officemates bring KFC/Subway/Costco pies to contribute to this marvel of American food diversity. :sigh:

I'd kill for something like that. Whenever our office throws a potluck, most people just mooch. Someone will bring a vegetable platter with ranch from the supermarket down the street, a few people toss in some expired snack-cakes their kids didn't get to in time, and my boss invariably brings her slowcooker, bubbling with cocktail meatballs and some strange, near-black sauce that's sweeter than candy.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Heading off to Montreal for a little mini-vacation. Anyone have suggestions for things to do or joints to hit? So far, I've got Schwartz's and La Banquise on the list, and Pied De Cochon if we stumble into a stack of free money en route.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Serendipitaet posted:

Get some Montreal-style bagels at St. Viateur or Fairmount Bagel.

La Banquise is only great at 3 am in the morning and you'll always have to wait. Poutineville does pretty great poutine and it's reasonably close to the plateau.

Burger de Ville is a good spot for dinner before going out.

Jean Talon market is cool to see and Parc du Mont-Royal is pretty amazing when the weather is good (check out the Tam Tams on Sunday if you get a chance).

Where are you going to be staying?

Poutineville you say? I'll have to check that out. To be honest, I've never been that big on poutine, but every time I mention that to someone, they always say "You've just never had good poutine", which gets annoying. Ideally, I want to find the One True Poutine, just to see if I maintain ambivalence.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

NosmoKing posted:

Cheesy, salty, meaty, frenchy fry-y, what's not to love?

Oh, I like it well enough. A lot of people around here have an almost fanatical devotion to the stuff though.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Montreal trip report: definitely had my opinion on poutine changed. poo poo's dynamite.

Also, Schwartz's was amazing, but the hefty Bostonians we were seated with wouldn't shut up about American tax law the entire time, for some reason. We proceeded to run into them three more times during the course of the trip with similar results. :gonk:

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
If it was a Canadian PSA, Jorge would just jam the blade two inches into his wrist and then bleed out until your show came back on.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Lyssavirus posted:

I hate the texture of pickled beets, and when I was a kid I was once forced to eat them until I threw up. I still can't eat pickled beet without gagging a little. I love the flavor in other applications, though.

If you like the flavour but not the texture, try making refrigerator pickled beets. They don't get processed, so they stay really crunchy.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
When did it become so loving hard to just say 'sandwich'? Hell, some people around here are even trying to use 'sang'.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Apparently, there's been a rash of thefts from the office fridge where I work. It's gotten to the point where management sent out an office-wide email suggesting that we label our stuff to prevent confusion. I came in this morning and found this in the fridge:

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
It's a fun thread with goofy posts and a narrow focus. It'll either adapt, or stagnate and die. I don't see any reason start poo poo in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

I like it! No matter who wins, the forums get a taste of the best we have to offer.