Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
^^^^^Looking forward to seeing the results!

Just made some pasta with tapenade and anchovies. It was probably some of the best pasta I've ever had, and at the same time, the simplest.

Pasta. Like pizza, don't overthink the toppings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Walk Away posted:

Aaaaand I just grated off part of my thumb. It's going to be one of those nights! I guess I should just be glad that this is only the first time I've ever done that.

Shorter fingers = fearlessness in the kitchen = FLAVOR LEVEL IS "NO TOMORROW"

Next time bring pics, and post here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476353&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post402227130

Made me feel better about my pussy rear end tiny wound.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
The keeping of pants on requires one to be wearing pants from the start.

(I'm not wearing pants. Today. Yet.)

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Steve Yun posted:

I am looking forward to the Gravity vs Wiggles duel where Wiggles has to buy all his ingredients from Costco and Gravity has to buy all his from an immigrant-owned non-chain store where nobody speaks English

Not emptyquoting. Just saying I'd watch this.

Also,

GWS Culinary Chat: Don't wash your pants for six months, then use them for stock.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Just had my first shift ever at a restaurant, I handled drinks and coffee, and it was VERY good weather today, so it was busy.

My feet hurt. And my arm. I can't decide whether to get drunk or lie down. Maybe I'll do both. Can't decide in the order to do it in then.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Thanks guys :3:

but what's with all the math. I'm watching Eurovision in the dorm kitchen. Begone, logic.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
You're just mad because Norway didn't make it to the finals :smug:

How Denmark got the the finals, I have no idea.. Holy poo poo it's bad.

e:
Norway is in the finals. How the gently caress did I miss that.

But we are still the only two countries with 0 points at the moment of editing.

Darval fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 26, 2012

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Hahahaha, that GloZell one is by far the best one I've seen

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

mindphlux posted:

I will absolutely never utter the words 'allergy' and 'I have a' in the same breath to anyone outside this semi anonymous forum, so much do I hate the whole douchebag dietary restriction thing.

I guess the verdict isn't in, and it could be the liters upon liters of wine I drink daily, but apparently I have some strange form of intestinal swelling and have to get a camera shoved up my butt in a week. awesome. keepin' it classy.

drat dude, hope it turns out to be nothing.

Starting your post with two sentences of "I" confused me, made it look capitalized properly. Couldn't possibly be a mindphlux post.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
I'm afraid of looking at that picture, I fear Greenpeace will find me

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
That's so loving awesome. Congrats HH :3:

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
ohgod what have you started HH

Even precious GWS isn't furry-free now

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

fariz posted:

New toy in the mail. Absolutely can not wait to slice my finger off tomorrow :shepface:

6'' flexible global boning knife. MMMM factory edge :drool:

Got exactly this, and I love it! (Watch your fingers!)

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
So I had the most authentic french dining experience last night, outside of France.

My french-o-phile chef friend was on his way to work one morning, and came past a small shop labeled "French Pastry Shop" (In Danish). He shakes his head, thinks "Yeah right, "French" here in Copenhagen." So he goes in, and does the test, orders a cup of coffee and a croissant. He ends up sitting and talking to the owner of the place a while.

Dah-VEED (David), is a french educated pâtissière from the champagne district, who opened his own pastry shop in Copenhagen. He can barely speak Danish, which is part of the charm. The place is pretty popular, and some time ago he started doing private dinners for his friends once a month at the place. Once turned to twice, and such, until it was every Tuesday, and opened to the public. It's at a fixed time, and there are only 30 seats or so total.

So with everyone seated, he rings the bell, and does a speech where he's happy we're here, and what the dinner consists of, minutely detailing everything that will arrive on our plate that evening. There is no way I could begin to do his descriptions justice, complete with him stumbling through the danish language, haphazardly replacing words in french, with people shouting out translations for him.

First course:
A duet of tartars, smoked salmon and fresh salmon with cream. Toasted crouton with black olive tapernade, topped with roasted goats cheese, on a small bed of mixed salad. Wine, a 2009 Chablis. As David described it, it's not a Chablis. It's a real Chablis.

Main course:
Pan-seared Quail, flambeed in armagnac, served with a sweet grape sauce. Fresh spring cabbage, summer carrots, broken potatoes, and a small green salad with a vinaigrette.

Desert:
Four different Opera style cakes, so different it's crazy.

I'm leaving out so much detail, I really can't remember it all. All the wine didn't exactly help.

The price was very low, 60$ for all 3 courses, with an aperitif, white wine for the first course, red for the main, and for the desert: A small brandy glass of champagne liquor, a glass of champagne, and a cup of coffee. Of course we ended up paying almost double that, because we ordered so much extra wine. We actually emptied his stores. I think he's taking it as a challenge, and he'll be prepared next time we're there.

The whole atmosphere was as bistro-like as it could get as well. The volume in the place was deafening, people were talking loudly, half-shouting, laughing, drinking, glasses clinking. Life is good.

He's closing up over the summer for rebuilding, but he's opening up again late august/mid september. Can't wait to come back.

He'll reserve the whole place for a group if we're over 15 people, and just me and the guys we can probably gather around that. If any DK goons wanna join in, I could arrange a spot.

Darval fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 20, 2012

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
That pressure cooked duck sounds like something you should try experimenting with a bit. I don't have a pressure cooker yet, but would definitely be something I'd want to try when I got one.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
GWS Culinary Chat: Food allergy? Might as well kill myself

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
ohgod

You just know a recipe is good when it has "surprise" in the title, and especially so if it's made with mostly canned foods.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Congrats on cancer-free babby FGR! And really sorry to hear abour your summer cottage Dane :(

Back from Roskilde Festival. I just slept 16 hours and I'm still a bit tired. Kilts are fun yes, one of my friends wore one at the festival. So many people saw his dick.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

therattle posted:

I am working with some producers in Aarhus. They seem to like it. They do say that there is an unusually high percentage of freaks and weirdos there - now I know why.

I was born in Aarhus, this might explain a few things.

I'm considdering buying the "On Food and Cooking" book by Harold McGee because I've read a bit of it in PDF and I like what I've read so far. But I noticed the book is actually pretty old, originally published in 1984. Is there something else I should get instead/also which is newer and more modern?

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Dane posted:

It's been updated several times, unless you're buying the 1st ed you should be fine.

Thanks!

I wasn't expecting it to be this expensive though. I've also found what looks to be two different editions.

This seems to be the original:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/On-Food-And-Cooking-Science/dp/0684800012/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342528444&sr=8-3

But I can't figure out if this is the same thing or nor:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/McGee-Food-Cooking-Encyclopedia-Kitchen/dp/0340831499/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342528444&sr=8-1

The second one being a lot cheaper.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Once the tree is fully grown and starts bearing plums all year round from the tropic conditions in your stomach, the plums will start to ferment in your belly, and you will be perpetually drunk.

What have you done.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
This may seem stupid, but I'm looking for one of you kind American gentlegoons who might be interested in shipping me some Twinkies. To Denmark.
I can't find them anywhere here in Denmark. I've got this thing for a girl, and we have this stupid internal joke about Twinkies, so I know it'd blow her mind if I got her some for Christmas.

I wanna blow her mind with Twinkies.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Wait what, 100% not trolling you. I live in Denmark, I have no idea about some american cake firm closing.

I've ordered some from the UK now, on Amazon, but the price is horrible. Oh god, she better like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Darval posted:

Wait what, 100% not trolling you. I live in Denmark, I have no idea about some american cake firm closing.

I've ordered some from the UK now, on Amazon, but the price is horrible. Oh god, she better like these.

Aaaand I just learned she might be seeing another guy. Would have liked to know this a day ago. I am a dumbass. I shall feed my sorrow with expensive Twinkies.