Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Tried a new Sichuan joint last night. Just me and the lady, none of our Asian (or Asian looking) friends, so we stood out more than usual. Ordering went like this:

Me: We'll have -
Waitress: Number nine.
Me: ... Actually yeah, dan dan noodles, number nine, and we'll also -
Waitress: Number 24.
Me: Uh, no, we'll have -
Waitress: Number 28.
Me: Yeah, chongking chicken.
Waitress: [gone]

I guess we order the same as other white folks who go in there.

Ten minutes later, we realize: she didn't ask us how spicy we wanted it! Sure enough, the food comes, and it's babby's first sichuan food level of spicy.

I was annoyed at first, but it turned out pretty good that way. I really got to experience the numb tongue from the Sichuan peppercorns - usually, the spiciness makes it so that I don't know what's going on in my mouth. And there was still enough heat to get a little bit of a sweat going by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Phummus posted:

Does anyone have the 'How to Cook Everything' iPad app? Its really well reviewed, but is it worth the $10? Or should I spend the $10 on schlitz?

It goes on sale a lot. I think I got it for $4.

It's a good app - it has all the content of the book, and it's really well designed. You can pick out a few recipes and it will build a shopping list. It has timers built in. The recipes are as bland as ever, though.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Phummus posted:

Thanks. I'm surprisingly not a fan of bland food, so I'll pass it up at least until I see it on sale.

It's actually a decent book/app despite the boring recipes. The real draw is how he whittles techniques down to their most basic and explains them very clearly. I mainly use it at the grocery store. "Pork shoulder is cheap - how long will that take to cook?"

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Red bean paste is indeed the best. I think it could easily make the leap to becoming popular in America, too. It's sweet and hearty and flavorful and really not weird at all. Put it in everything.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Someone on Facebook was talking about boycotting amazon because of that article. They're really going to be pissed when they find out where all their clothes, electronics, and food comes from.

Edit: not to say that it's not a legitimate complaint. Just weird to single out amazon for treating folks on the bottom of the totem pole lovely.

wafflesnsegways fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 3, 2012

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Suggestions to make things better?

Believe it or not, there is an actual labor movement that has accomplished a lot of things in the past 150 years, from safety improvements to the weekend. If you're actually interested in what they think still needs to be improved and how, google it. I'm not going to do it for you. This "just asking questions" without directly responding to anything or stating your own thoughts is bush league.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Sorry, the correct answer was "yes."

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
It drives me crazy when my girlfriend washes disposable forks. We have real forks! The only - only! - reason to use a shittier disposable version is you don't have to wash it when you're done!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
College in New England was all Genny Light, all the time. I don't know how something can taste like water and still taste terrible, but Genny Light figured it out.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I didn't watch all 20 minutes of that video, but ever since Mark Bittman switched to advocacy, he's become intolerable. I even agree with him about a lot of things, but all of his proposed solutions are kludgy, heavy-handed policies that are often pretty offensive. For example, his column arguing that people only be allowed to buy healthy food with food stamps.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Well, we have been through Main Wife, Stripper pus, and Squashy's assorted perversions, i guess it is time for a GWS swingers group.

I'll start working on an OP.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

dino. posted:

As for the sickly sweet Kosher wine, we don't have to serve those anymore, as there are some /very/ excellent Kosher wines that are coming out of Spain, Italy, Israel, and California, which taste pretty awesome. They're a touch more pricey than the regular wines, but the flavour is definitely there now. I've yet to find a Cab that I'm loving, but the Rioja (Cardova), the Pinot Noir (Herzog, I belieeeeeve), and the Chard (Wienstock? Or was that Alfasi?) are all quite excellent.

Manischewitz was the first wine I ever tasted, and passover isn't right without it. You don't have to drink it, but it has to be there. What are religious holidays for if not a vague nostalgia and sense of misguided tradition?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

I like turtles posted:

Here in Arizona they're just called California burritos.

I heard that in France they call french toast "toast".

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I'm singing the Kirk/Spock fight music right now. Da da DUN DUN DUN DUN...

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
It's a good album, but High Wide and Handsome is probably the best song on it.

My favorite Loudon album is probably Last Man on Earth - that's the one to get if you don't have any.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
OK, I'm in the market for a giant cookbook of time-consuming food projects. Which should I get? Ad Hoc at Home? Ruhlman's Charcuterie? The River Cottage Meat Book? Something else?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Don't do so much physical activity in jeans. Get work pants that breathe, you'll be happier and less smelly.

And if, like me, you work at an office where you can get away with wearing nice jeans, those jeans are basically jackets for your legs, and can be washed as such.

Edit: good point on the humidity, though. That makes everything gross.

wafflesnsegways fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 18, 2012

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Do we have to challenge every person with some kind of eating requirement to justify themselves before talking about food with them? I've seen this happen with vegans, people trying to avoid saturated fat, pretty much anyone with any kind of diet restrictions. People with allergies are told that they probably don't have allergies.

Seriously, the anger here is kind of disheartening. Who cares if it's a fad diet, and who cares if someone tries to go gluten free who isn't actually gluten intolerant? People trying to better themselves and control what they eat is a good thing.

Why not assume that people can care for themselves? Or why not at least keep it friendly, instead of challenging them aggressively?

I'm not trying to stir up poo poo, I'm speaking earnestly about something that bothers me on these forums, which I actually really like.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
But why are we even having that conversation in the first place? Someone came in and asked a question about avoiding gluten, and then had to spend several big posts proving that they actually have a reason for avoiding gluten. A while back, I said something about reducing saturated fat in my diet, and ended up giving my medical history to shut up someone who kept insisting that saturated fat is good for me. That's lovely.

Yawgmoth posted:

Also there's a lot of people here in the food/medical industry, and saying "My friend had a stomach ache so he went to the doctor and found out he has celiac disease, so he's eating gluten free. I have a stomach ache now, so obviously I have celiac too and will feel better if I go gluten-free!"

I was in an Indian restaurant this week, listening to a woman try to order without hanging up her cell phone, while shouting at the Indian dude with limited english "Does that have gluten in it? Gluten!? Is there GLUTEN!? Whatever, I'll take that." But just because that woman was a monster doesn't mean that I have to be a dick to everyone who decides to try out a gluten-free diet and see if it helps them.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I don't think anyone's being mean intentionally.

Yawgmoth posted:

People want to have a complete picture before they give an answer. If you want to just throw out a question with no context and get answers from people who don't need/want a complete picture before giving an answer, there's sites for that. But on this forum people like to know as much as possible before answering, because "how do I lower my saturated fat intake?" for example is not a question one can answer without knowing what you're eating currently.

In that exchange, I wasn't asking for anyone's help. I was sharing a couple things I like to eat with someone who asked. Sort of like how Toriori was just making a chatty "eating gluten-free is tough" post when everyone piled on.

Basically, everyone has to decide who they trust when it comes to making diet decisions, and GWS posters with funny names are never going to rank that high, so why play food police? You're probably not going to change anyone's mind, and you probably will scare people away.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

Is it your position that it is improper to say this because it isn't true, or that it is simply impolite to say it regardless of its truth? I'm actually asking for your option here, I'm not baiting a trap or anything.

I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out that people are wrong about allergies all the time. It's the sense of hostility that bugs me.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
In unrelated news, I just finished bottling the last two batches of homebrew I made for my wedding. 600 beers in all, 5 types. I figure either all 600 will run out early, or we'll have 450 left over after. Nothing in between. Luckily, all of these except the IPA should age well.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Okay here's an honest question or three: Why are GWS posters any less trustworthy than the first hit on google, or the morning show host you only watch because she has huge tits? We have a lot of people here who are professionals in the food and/or science industries. They know their poo poo.

Hey man, I don't make the rules. I'm not saying you're not trustworthy.

Yawgmoth posted:

And why shouldn't we ask "hey are you following that diet because a doctor told you or because you read it on dietz4u.com?" Honestly, if being asked questioned about your choices is going to scare you away from a forum, then you should probably reexamine those choices and why you made them. You should be ready to defend your opinions and choices at any time, not just in GWS. This isn't a massive task, it just requires a little metacognition.

Go ahead and ask. But there's no reason to be a jerk about it. That's all I'm saying.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I've made a lot of variations of this barbecue sauce. (Ignore the whole recipe, the non-sauce parts aren't particularly good.)

I usually cut down the liquid smoke and up the chipotles, and throw in whatever else I have. I've tried lots of recipes, but I keep returning to some combination of molasses and chipotles. I also like to swap out the crushed tomatoes for whole canned tomatoes (or fresh if it makes sense), and pull them apart with my hands, to give it a lumpier, sloppier feel. I never use the blender.

quote:

SAUCE
2 (28-ounce/794 g) cans crushed tomatoes
12 ounces (355 ml) molasses
2 small onions, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup (120 ml) dry sherry
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 or more chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped (as many as you like, really)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
1. MAKE THE SAUCE: In a 6-quart saucepan, combine the tomatoes, molasses, onion, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, chipotles, garlic, allspice, and liquid smoke. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
2. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Use the immersion blender to mix the ingredients into a smooth sauce. (Or transfer to the stand blender and puree for about 60 seconds.) Simmer, stirring frequently, for an additional 45 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to about 2 quarts

wafflesnsegways fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 1, 2012

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

mindphlux posted:

chattin with ol' mike ruhlman about sous-vide duck confit while he's on vacation at loving midnight like a boss

Buy him an account!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I'm about to take I-70 from Utah to Virginia. What and where should I eat along the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
A New York cop once told me that he wanted the city to build a giant mirror on the jersey side of the Hudson, so all the New Yorkers could look at the skyline. That's what I think of whenever I talk to a New Yorker who has gone too far up their own rear end.