Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

That was a good post, I've never been and probably never will be to Boston, but I could picture it from how you put it. The reason I actually responded though is to say that Dino is a dude, why do people always think he's a girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

So, I need a dessert that will feature eggs, but I don't really want to do a custard unless I have to. Any other ideas?

Chinese steamed cakes taste very very eggy to me.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

Agreed on horror stories and food policy. We did something pretty similar with our kid, and not only did she wean herself without incident, but now she'll eat anything that tastes good. I'm so proud of her because she hasn't picked up any stupid food hangups from her mom (mustard, pork, eggs, fine cheese) or me (seafood). Last night we had chicken curry, upma (Indian curry semolina), and for dessert a deconstructed/sloppy trifle with angel food cake, creme anglaise, bananas, and blueberries. Kid ate it all gleefully. :)

I almost feel bad for her when she goes to school and has to eat cafeteria food.

I've been pretty lucky when it comes to kitchen injuries. I get small burns and cuts every so often, but they're quickly forgotten. Worst injury I ever had was a steam burn from a tea-kettle, that was purple-blue for weeks until it blistered and fell off.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Stalizard posted:

I followed Jacques Pepin's recipe when I first made hollandaise and he said if you see it start to break, throw an ice cube in and whisk like the devil until it's back to normal, then take the remnant of the ice cube out. I had to use it on my first hollandaise and it worked like a charm.

I made my first hollandaise last week, but since I couldn't find the link to any of the NICSA Breakfast entries that used it like I was planning to half-way through, I used a recipe that was pictures only and thought it came out tasty. In restrospect, every restaurant I've ever been to uses fake hollandaise and I really wouldn't know if the sauce had broken or not. It tasted good, anyway.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Did you paint that kitty's toenails? :stare:

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I feel kind of bad for all the gws kids with precocious tastes when the times comes that they'll go to school and at least occasionally have to eat cafeteria food.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

This is a dumb question coming from anyone older than seven, but as much as I love pho, I have yet to master actually eating it. When I had some at a restaurant the other day, I asked the waitress for a spoon, she brought me a fork, and I had to ask for a spoon again. So there's the attempt at eating with a spoon, winding the noodles around the fork spaghetti-style, trying to sip from a bowl bigger then my head, and finally managed to deposit wound up noodles in the spoon along with a bowl of broth and start eating that way, by which time my boyfriend had been done with his curry for ten minutes and I'd barely made a dent. And then there's the accessories. Do you drop the whole branch of basil into the soup and let it steep while you're eating, sprinkle leaves in and sip them up with the other ingredients. Do you dip the beansprouts and eat them or let them float? Help, eating is too complicated for me. :downs:

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Which would make Flash Gordan, and not Ramsey, your true avatar?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

In the last general chat thread, someone linked an awesome pumpkin muffin recipe, but I can't even find the old thread now, let alone a recipe in it. Did anyone save it?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

dino. posted:

Yeah, I think your best bet would be to do so when all the kids are at grandparents's house, the fire is on in the fireplace, you've got a stack of crap movies that you both enjoy, a giant bowl of popcorn & other finger foods, some really nice vinho verde or beer or whatever you like to drink (even if it's piping hot cups of spiced assam tea or something), and a few hours to ... celebrate after the fact. NOT THAT I SUGGEST YOU HAVE SEX AFTER PROPOSING. But if you do, you want to kind of keep the food and drink light enough that you've both got the stamina to have a go if you want to.

Honestly, the stuff you say when you ask really does matter.

Mind you, I'm an inveterate home-body. If you suggest that we go out for a fancy dinner, I'll look at you funny, and agree, but really prefer it when you make the effort of setting up a nice atmosphere at home for us both to enjoy. Because it shows me that you're capable of bringing romance into our everyday life, should you want to. That's kind of awesome.

Hell, Wiggles. You live on some pretty primo land. If it's not too cold out when you do ask, maybe you two could have like a late night picnic, with lots of candles and finger food, and a bit of wine, and just let the stars and the rest of nature be witness to your love. Seems like the sort of thing you'd be really good at doing. Hell, you could even go so far as to plan a swanky camping trip, where you take the tents and the rest, but get satin sheets for the bedding inside the tent, and like, bring the good china and glassware to use for meals, and like have food that stays good without fridges and the like.

Either way! I think that the best proposal is where both of you have the space to really build a mood, and have some quiet time together to really talk things through once you get the official yes. I'm assuming that you're both already on the same page, and that you're fairly certain she'll say yes. IF not, then the whole "Are you looking for marriage and the rest" might be a good talk to have at some point.

I know you can do this Wiggles! :)

:allears: Are you in the market for another spouse?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

It's gone. It was a casualty of Whirled Peas Month.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Casu, how's your tongue? :smith:

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Maybe someone should start a new cheese thread so that questions are available. My technique for slowly stocking a spice cupboard to be slightly more exotic then rural minnesotan teaching alone would make it is to try new recipes and buy the spice for each one, and think of other things to use it in. When I see a recipe with an exotic cheese- which isn't too often, I find myself saying "Sounds expensive", and going on to a different recipe. A goon guide to cheese would make getting into it less daunting. Especially with chickencheesers maybe probably checking out this subforum now.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

You can have a combination of good and boring side dishes and deserts, so that at least a few of the picky eaters will enjoy it with you, and the rest of them aren't going to starve. Also, I would be really tempted to point out how pink ham is at a dinner.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

All I know about Epic Meal Time is that they have a shitload of stuff at Hot Topic and that Hot Topic is where kids who can't drive yet go to spend their parents' love money while thinking they're being rebellious for buying overpriced T-shirts. So my guess is that they're making money hand over fist from their store.

But sadly the cheapest place if you want to have a nerdy (movie, superhero, tv show) t-shirt cut for a lady.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

My boyfriend isn't christian enough for my parent's tastes, but they still go out of their way to be nice to him. He even got a nicer present then I did. It's almost like they come from a religion of love and forgiveness or something.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

My girlfriends parents are insane. :stare: I think I'm unknowingly participating in a reality show and everyone is having a good laugh at this on prime time.

Will go I to more depth when I'm not on my phone but I just had to express my :gonk: ASAP.

You had a good reason not to elaborate right that minute, but I'd still like to hear the follow up on this.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Welcome to America! If I recall, most of this thread was saying that you would be nuts not to have a car in Florida too.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I biked all the time when I lived in the country, and had nowhere in biking distance, but biking in a city scares me. Maybe you're cycling on the wrong side of the street?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Welp, that nearly turned me Vegan. (So many goons will crash that thang.)

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I really enjoy the taste of liver, but one of my friends who's an internet-nutrition expert said that it's the center of all the toxins in an animals body, and that that is the most likely type of meat to make one sick. Anything I can shoot her down with?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

The guy in that thread casually mentioning that he's browning elk for a chili and the Cooking Mama Lets Play and some other threads kinda bum me out that there are so many cookists on the forums that are afraid of this forum.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Being a Minnesotan, and without anyone who's remotely adventurous about food in the circle of people that I know locally at all, some of the regulars have already helped me do just that over the yeras. A simple mushroom cream sauce to replace Cream of Mushroom soup, and use that for my grandmother's "hamburger gravy", which itself turns out to be just a midwestern version of Beaf Stroganoff, and my mom's patented "dump cream of mushroom soup on pork chops, put in the oven, have them come out shamefully delicious" recipe. I think that a lot of the crappy food is already an instant version of good stuff- hot pockets are just horrible pasties. So, yeah, I think that thread would be a great idea and I'll gladly participate.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I'm sure that every region and every country has at least one favorite crappy food!

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I was pretty sure he was trolling with the instant rice, veered back to thinking he was serious with the real-sounding recipe for poached salmon, but the fondue pretty much nailed it on the trolling side. If you were told to do a best-buy you tube cooking show, what would you do?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Sleepy Sheep posted:

You guys remember that "How to Cook Dinner In A Coffee Pot" video?

The local Las Vegas news channel just ran it. Completely seriously.

The maids at some las vegas hotels are going to be in for a surprise when they check on the complimentary coffee pots...

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Cat's paw is the official safe way to use a knife, but I think that most people just hold it and trust their own reflexes because of how much easier it is to control your cuts and get the cuts you want.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Sounds like a good time to have a cupcake sandwich for lunch.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'll just leave my butter at room temperature in a butter dish tyvm

A basement apartment plus heavy rain last month meant that one day I got to come home to my freshly cleaned kitchen and grease ants swarming over my butter dish, and having spread from that into the salt and pepper shakers. I freaked out a little and sprayed poison everywhere, then did something I haven't done since I started following Goons with Spoons six years ago- I bought some margarine. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

My favorite was the oysters on the beach.