Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I got into Gin because it was the one liquor that my mom wouldn't drink all of. I kind of had the reverse, instead of me, the youngin, drinking all of my parent's booze... they would drink mine (and complain about how I kept buying cheap stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My dad once took a 10" iron nail on a flight in his coat pocket but always gets his toothpaste confiscated.

I've never bothered with just carry on because majority of my flights have been 12 hour ordeals that end with me on a plane that seats 14 people for the last leg of the trip.

E: though my purse is generally 90% cookies on those trips

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 27, 2015

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Rye crackers are my favourite disappointing nordic food. I still don't like them. Though I'd rather eat them plain (that's how my dad ate them, sometimes he'd put butter on them) than keeber cookies, though.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

A typical Canadian-Ukrainian sauce for holopchi is ketchup diluted in water. Its basically the only time I ate ketchup as a kid (i didn't like it, but I was otherwise not a picky eater). Also sour cream on everything.

I was at a poutinery in St. Johns once and a dude added salt to his poutine. Not just a little, like poured it on. But I've lived far inland most of my life so I don't know anything about the salty sea life.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Pollyanna posted:

I'm totally getting Ratio! Though it seems to be oriented towards :words: about pastry/carb-y mixes, and I'm looking more for basic bullshit dinners like chicken breast in sauce or a ragu (also trying to eat less carb). I am well aware of the internet and I get by fine by looking poo poo up on Youtube, but I guess I just like physical books.

While I'm not one for cookbooks (unless they have a story or something special about them like Ottolenghi) I'm fond of Jacques Pepin for general purpose cooking tutorials. He's like a cute French-American grandpa that loves to tell you how to chop garlic.

I can't tell you anything about his books, but he has a bunch of shows on youtube.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

One of my friends is always going "Yum!!!" to them but she's also the one that's never had to cook for herself. She's now on a health kick so she's only going "Yum!!" to the ones that generally don't have cream cheese, or if they do, fish.

I don't really count my redneck cousins even though they're always posting the "my picky manchild of a husband ALSO eats this!!" type stuff.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

One thing that I miss about my old job is that HR would buy a pig for the Vietnamese coworkers to prepare for potlucks. You could just throw some money at them instead of grabbing something from costco, too.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

When I had my jaw surgery I had a ~4 page booklet of recipes and one of them was basically "blend an entire blt, bread and all, you poor fucker"

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Echeveria posted:

There is a possibility my jaw will be wired shut for 4 weeks, but regardless, there is absolutely no chewing for 6 weeks. The first week is expected to be pretty thin and watery since it's likely I'll be quite swollen, and I've been told I'm being given a large syringe and catheter tubing to just shove down my throat.

Borscht is an option. Protein is an issue because I am allergic to dairy, so your usual milk shake, yogurt bases are off the table for me. Also I am quite thin and they say to expect to lose 10-20 pounds during the 6 weeks. 10 pounds on my 6 foot frame would make me look like skeletor.

I'll make congee, and I like savory soups. Just no pureed bacon and eggs huuurgh

They said no chewing for 6 weeks for me, but extended it to 8.5. So fair warning there. I had a lot of congestion in my nose so warm broths were very, very welcome in that first week.

I had only elastics, so it wasn't long before I was able to have very soft veggies whole (you can mash them with your tongue) and anything you're willing to swallow whole or mash with a fork.

You got a lot of good meals from the thread so I can't really add anything. I was 16, too, so on top of being a lazy teenager, my mom cooked most of the meals, at the time. I had a lot of store brand meal replacement shakes and unsweetened babyfood instant oatmeal for my lazy snacks.

I didn't have to worry much about my weight (I lost like 10 pounds, but I was 180/5'8" before surgery so lol) but I did have to worry a lot about Iron being a lady.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I mashed cooked chicken breast into a paste and had that, along with mashed broccoli/cheese/potatoes. You could probably do pate, too. I was lucky and had dairy for my animal proteins so I didn't have to experiment much.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

ulmont posted:

Did you just add wheat for fun? :psyduck:

I always thought that cheap sauces used wheat as a light thickener, or something to keep it shelf stable.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I was fairly bummed when there was construction immediately next to my apartment for the whole summer, because I didn't want to grow herbs when there's dust and poo poo being kicked up every day. I miss being able to just walk outside and grab a fistful of tasty leaves. I also miss being able to pick up a mint leaf, rub it, then make the neighbour's cat smell it and get mad at me.

All I have is a small pot of hen & chicks (came with the apartment) that survived through my neglect because they're... hen & chicks and that's what they do.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Hell yeah found Ottolengi's Plenty More for free in my apartment's lobby :bubblewoop:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

BrianBoitano posted:

I thought it being sealed in my moving box was enough signal that it wasn't free t:mad:

Sorry dude, it mine now

Didn't take the Lego kits, though, you can make your own book from scratch

I'm exited though, especially since I live somewhere with a higher middle Eastern population, I can get labneh without having to spend 90mins on a bus

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've had a two pack of pork tenderloin that's been vacuum sealed and the first one reeked, plus tasted like farts but the second one was repacked and cooked two days later and it was fine. Not a whiff of stank

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Thankfully I generally catch the knife on my fingernail so I end up with just a only slightly bloody chunk of keratin to fish out of whatever I'm cooking.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Did I miss what the vegan main was? I'm curious because it sounds fancy.

I'm real glad I don't have to cook for family, though as much as I would probably enjoy making something different for the challenge, I don't think I can deal with the matrix of requirements regular flavour rear end in a top hat family present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

"Scalloped potatoes" which were chunks of potato, cream of mushroom soup (later it was just cream. Wrong texture but better flavour) and so much dill you could feel it in your eyeballs.

"Lazy holupsi" which actually was good, was: shredded cabbage, short gain rice, some sort of pork, and ketchup thinned out with water. Lots of black pepper when us kids got older (I didn't appreciate until I was in my 20s though)

Then uhhhh whatever you call a bunch of keilbasa baked in the oven in a dish full of sauerkraut. Still don't like it.

Then the ground beef + soy sauce topping buttered/store brand parm noodles of some sort, plus a side of microwaved steamed broccoli with Velveeta.

Hell, that's not so bad. Lots of microwaved frozen veggies, though.