Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Olive oil, and just add whatever you usually add for confit. Alternatively do it sousvide (if you have the gear), and just add bit of fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

CommonShore posted:

This sounds to me like a good excuse to get the gear.

You're welcome

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Any recommendations for an entry-level circulator? Most of the stuff I'm seeing on Amazon is starting at CA$250. That can't be right.
I'm not the right guy to ask there, perhaps Ricola would know better.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The reason why I do it with olive oil when I don't have the fat is because of a conversation I had with an elderly lady at an auberge in Alsace, where I got the most awesome kalbsnieren ever... Our car had broken down only 1km away from her place, which was lying isolated in the Vosges (I had a huge loving rock in one of the brake shoes), and the kids and my wife went up there while I was ineptly trying to remove it (which succeeded despite all the efforts I made).

Anyways - I was discussing this exact problem with her, and she told me that she was using olive-oil for the ducks also, but that it was probably because of her italian ancestry.

So now I've done it a few times, but havn't really thought of looking into wether she was just taking the piss..

So here's 3 different recipes where you submerge the duck in olive oil.

Confit d'anatra: http://www.gustissimo.it/ricette/pollame/confit-d-anatra.htm
Lagasse: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/duck-confit-recipe2.html
Ruhlman: http://ruhlman.com/2009/03/duck-confit-its-whats-for-lunch/

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The present value of 70 bucks now is 70 bucks...

I mean - if it isn't in your pocket it is basically not spendable..

This was a happy hat: pointing out the blatantly obvious message

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Pie, cake, juice, crumble?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Nothing weird about that.

Except when you need to explain an American that 'this is kinda ok if you like that kind of stuff' is Extreme praise

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Force de Fappe posted:

GRATIS FISSE TIL ALLE!!!!

Never paid in my life

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

"Free fish for all!"?

It sounds like the slogan of a populist party from the 1930s.

Give mig sild eller give mig døden!

En kylling i hver pot og en bil i hver garage!

This post should be:

"Free pussy for all!"?

It sounds like the slogan of a populist party from the 1930s.

Giv mig spegesild eller slå mig ihjel!

En kylling i hver en gryde og en bil i hver en garage!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Force de Fappe posted:

Pickled herring isn't rotten. :colbert:

Rakefisk is, though, and is still delicious :colbert:

Don't tell them - let them live their puritanical isolated existences out without discovering the joys of the nordics

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The forums died and we're now in full-on-zombie mode

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I like ketchup!

Ketchup is the judas goat of condiments - it will lead you to using and abusing hot sauces and make you add sugar to everything and call it barbecue - ketchup is a gateway drug.

Ketchup is the young, pretty, untainted blonde girl of your first highschool dance. You will kiss her, and it will corrupt you.

Ketchup is the american dream. Ketchup is a blowjob on the backseat of your parents car. Ketchup is anal offered freely.

I like ketchup - but I doubt that ketchup is sufficient to still my tastes now - my tastes has evolved, I have become more mature, more jaded, more complex - ketchup will not sate me.

But I will always treasure her. Ketchup took away my virginity and left me with a gaping anus.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

You are a purist loving genius, and I salute you!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Sauces that achieve the mass-market appeal that e.g. Sriracha does will naturally be 'mediocre' - otherwise they cannot appeal to the biomass - it is the safest market position, really.

The same goes for food - McDonalds has never been called 'exceptional', 'exclusive', 'innovative' or 'surprising', because that would threaten their market position.

So yeah - Sriracha is mediocre, it is its nature - it is vanilla, it is missionary style sex under the blankets with the lights off, it is consultancy from deloitte or IBM, it is Captain America at the box office, it is a subaru - it does not offend, it does not surprise, it is a 50 year old hooker.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I get more hungover when I drink mixed drinks, than if I drink wine or beers, I believe this to be the case because I tend to get sated on beer, to such an extend that I not only am drunk, but also full, and the fullness prevents me from drinking too much. I've never gone above 20 beers in one sitting, while I have been above 5 bottles of wine.

Also - when I had my gallbladder infection, I couldn't drink half a bottle of red without puking my guts out.

My wife is convinced that she feels better when drinking white than red - this is fine by me.

Also - chartreuse is the devils semen,it will induce dementia.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I think that you may be cutting the whole argumentation for the origin of things a bit tight there...

But let's call it colonial brittish, like e.g. maine lobster, cornbread, barbecue, pulled pork, papadum, curry and tea, and since england and scotland basically was a danish colony before any kind of distillation started happening (which also can be seen from the name uisge beatha) - you all basically are danish minions, and need to pay homage to our queen, and stop your heathen ways and turn to Odin...

yeah - our ancestors hosed your female ancestors (or the sheep, if they were pretty, and kinda, just standing there, looking a bit lonely), and they liked it!

Well.. it was only that one time... with the sheep.... and you know - sheeps passing in the night and all that. What happens in cornwall stays in cornwall.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 2, 2015

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The sheep didn't say anything about hyperbole or cultural appropriation. They baah'ed softly and looked at us with tender eyes.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

feedmegin posted:

I think Cornwall was probably about the only part of Britain that wasn't Danish-ruled, however briefly, being southwest of Wessex. (Wales too, I guess)

We only went there for the sheep

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Kenning posted:

White people.

Pale people doesn't really do that more than non-pale people...

Anyways - anybody is free to everything that is in my fridge, because nobody should go hungry, what is mine is yours!

And I am not embarrassed by old carrots, things that are over their expirery date or anything like that.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

Any update on your coming to London?

Still negotiating with those guys....

British people really don't saddle the horse the same day that they go for a ride..

Edit: They're not the quickest mopeds on the harbour...

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 6, 2015

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Vegetarian sandwiches does not exist anymore. PB&J is now a soup, lettuce reduces the sandwichness of a burger, hotdogs are no longer sandwiches (because 'meat').

:suspense:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The important part is adding it to the burritos before you bake them in the oven, otherwise it is too crunchy

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

Absolutely. Likewise the guacamole.

Yes, but you smear the guacamole on top.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

As with American politicians.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Our Trump is better than your Trump.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

That is the palest person I've ever seen, without albinism that is.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

To do:
trading whisky kisses
tasting cigarettes
having sweaty exhausting sex
feeling the first rays of sun when you exit the bar
drinking coffee till your hands shake
decreasing the resolution on your screen to be able to make out the letters after 36h straight
hunting the -ines
relishing in the toxins of your exhaustion
bromancing hard while smoking weed in Tuscany
stress relief by spreading happiness
be arrested and investigated by secret police

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Happy new years goons. Go kiss a stranger!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

How thick does it have to be to distribute heat evenly enough (not using barbaric gas here, but induction)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I'm not into whisky - I only have 3 different ones left, a mortlach (1997), a bruichladdich (2001), an arran (1992) - they're still in the distilleries being matured - oh and it is a hogshead of each that I share with 5 other guys.

Odd thing is really that I'm not really into it, but I guess it'll do fine with some coke while I eat a grilled cheese sandwich made with this 36mths comté on unpasteurised morning milk.

I enjoy when people sperg about stuff, because that teaches me a lot of different things - the most enjoyable conversations I've had is with complete sperg-lords who knew everything about their chosen topic, and chose to erudite my rear end on their specific subject area:
* greco roman wars? Sure thing - I have a couple of hours to kill at this party!
* Board games? Why the gently caress not - I play monopoly with the best of them, so let's hear it (and 4hrs later.... there is so much to know about board games)
* bees? Bring 'em (that was a 3 day experience - I intimately know the sexual life of bees now, and have been to the Amish to help them with their bees not having enough sex with their flowers, and to a monastery where they kept bees as god intended, to assist my bee-sperglord in planning out new sites
* food? Sure - I'll join GWS

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Please tell me you're joking

Yeah...

No.. I am not using my 257,5 (or so) liters of 57% alcohol for mixers - Some had the arran bottled at 18, and it was selling at 95 pounds - so I guess I am sitting on a goldmine here...

It's much better with coffee, brown sugar and whipped cream!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I was making dad joke pea puns with my son, and it was like a light bulb pinged on over my head. I was literally speechless for a few minutes.

Took me loving 6 months, and I thought I was dense...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A good recipe.

I've long been on the hunt for a recipe for this German spit roasted whole rabbit stuffed with onion and bacon. If anyone comes across something like that kindly post it, please.

Could you be more specific on the composition?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One rabbit, on a spit lengthways (like, the spit bar inserted mouth to anus), the body cavity filled up with diced onion and bacon and assorted herbs, the body cavity being sewn up so that the contents stay inside. The whole thing is then roasted on a rotating spit until the outside is uniformly brown and crispy and the inside is tender and delicious. Served whole on the platter with sauce.

Perhaps try this marinade, and then just fill the hare with onions and bacon?

Hase am Spiess
Das geht am Besten mit einem handelsüblichen Kaninchen oder "Stallhasen". Man benötigt nur einen Spiess auf 2 Spiessgabeln, ein schönes Glutfeuer und folgende Marinade:

Kräutermarinade zu Kaninchen oder Hase
6 Esslöffel Öl (Erdnuss, Soja oder Olive) 2 Esslöffel Verjus (saurer Traubensaft, oder Traubensaft mit Zitrone 1:1, oder Most, oder Apfelessig 1:1 mit Wasser verdünnt) 1 Esslöffel Balsamico Essig 2 Esslöffel Honig 1 Teelöffel Pfeffer 1 Teelöffel Salz 1 Messerspitze Zimt 1 MSP. Nelken 1 MSP. Ingwer 1 MSP. Kardamom (nach Wunsch) 3 Esslöffel Kräuter (was da ist, also Petersilie, Majoran, Oregano, Liebstöckel, Ysop, Rosmarin, etc.) möglichst frische Kräuter und feingehackt.
Alle Zutaten vermengen und warm stellen, gut macht sich der Platz direkt am Feuer, da wo auch der Wischwedel liegt. Vorsicht vor allfälligen Tierchen - die mögen das Zeug auch. Am Schluß dann mit Orangensaft vermischen und noch weitere 2 Esslöffel Honig dazu, oder den Kräutersud wegschütten und nur Orangensaft mit Met verwenden.

Macht bisserl Arbeit, aber der Erfolg ist es wert! Den Hasen über der Glut drehen und ständig mit der Marinade einstreichen (dazu verwendet man den Wischwedel) . Wichtig ist, das das Fleisch immer feucht gehalten wird. Am Ende sorgt die Verwendung von Honig oder Met für eine Wunderbare Kruste. Ein sehr leckeres Gericht für die Feldküche.

edit:
Perhaps to translate it too:

Hare on a spit
It is best made with the bunny or "Stallhasen" that is common to buy. You only need a spit with two forks, a good ember fire going and the following marinade:
6 tablespoons oil (peanut, soy or olive)
2 tablespoons verjus (sour wine-grape juice or wine-grape juice mixed with lemon 1:1) or Apple most (well - I've never seen most in the states, so just apple juice) or apple vinegar 1:1 with water
1 tblspoon balsamico
2 tblspoon honey
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch of ground cinnamon (MSP - Messerspitz - or a knife tip)
1 pinch of ground cloves
1 pinch of ground dry ginger
1 pinch of ground cardamom
3 tablespoons of herbs (what you have - meaning parsley, marjoram, oregano, hyssop, lovage or rosemary, fresh is best, and finely chopped)

Mix everything together, and place warm (something about bugs liking it - so hygiene thingie), marinade the meat in it.

Then when you remove the meat - add another two tablespoons of honey and some orange juice, and use this to baste the hare when spit roasting.

It is a bitch of job, but it is worth it. Turn the spit constantly and keep the meat basted with the marinade constantly - the meat should be wet at all times - keep turning until it is done.
The usage of the honey gives a wonderful crust. A very delicious dish for the field kitchen.

edit the second: Sorry - it's been 20 years since I last had to translate something from German, and translating it to english makes it extra hosed up..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 5, 2016

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I think most of the thin crepe like recipes I've seen calls for beer. Never seen it used in the thick kind of pancakes though.

Also - beer is excellent in most breads - to replace water or milk or other liquids.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Secret Spoon posted:

Chillable red or bust. Im drunk and in my house alone. I just had the drunk thought that if I drink to black out, I can ruin my entire life locked and alone in my room. Really Im just thinking about how one drunk stupor I bought an entire discography for an 80's band.

The band was Devo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEVqFB4WUo

That is awesome, you're awesome!

The most stupid thing I've ever gotten while drunk was stealing a sign from the local university stating "Center for Womens Studies", which then got hung over my roommates bed, where I am sure it doesn't hang anymore, since he now is a chief of police.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

But.. how could you consent while being drunk?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Anybody got any good Pate en Croute recipes?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I would like to extend my thanks to Bart for an excellent write up of a culinary experience which only can be surpassed in arbitrariness by having an oiled up obesely overweight castrate wearing only rear end-less chaps serenading you in aggressive german, while watching a floorshow featuring an fat Elvis twerking against a gum ball machine only containing strawberry shortcake flavoured gum balls. Otherwise known as Branson, Missouri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

You're making a basic assumption that is wrong.

It is not for us to speculate about purpose, when the purpose is that there is no purpose. As Bart so rightly references ceci n'est pas un restaurant. The purpose is it's purposelessness, like the diorama of crotchless panties clearly illustrates upon your entry.. The panties are not panties because they defy the panty purpose which is to hide, comfort and tittilate, while the fact they are on a mannequin without discernible genetalia clearly illustrates that they are there to reveal that there is nothing to reveal.. The cheetah is illustrating that something wild has been taken and domesticated until it has stiffen and become a caricatured representation of itself cast in plaster and plastic.

Everything is revealed, which is nothing. You suck from the safe rubber nipples of society while watching your innocence slowly becoming a caricatured, domesticated and stiffened representation in plaster, plastic and oily technicolor.

Your plates are square, your meal dissatisfying, and you will come back for more.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 31, 2016