Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I loving hate that restaurant, and I've never been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Allegedly, around 2008 or so a fondue restaurant in Paris found it could avoid paying taxes on its wine sales by serving the wine in baby bottles. I haven't been able to find any web articles verifying the tax evasion angle, so I'm going to continue assuming it's an idiotic affect adopted by hipsters to appear countercultural. Or something. At any rate yes, drinking wine from a sealed container so you can't even smell it is a horrible way to consume even Two-Buck Chuck.

https://www.facebook.com/lerefugedesfondus/?rf=168956913220812 is the place.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Dear E/N,
Today was a good day - I went to an interview, and had a ton of fun with the people there - they are now my friends, and I will hug them forever and ever and ever...

Seriously - I feel a little bad because when I told them my age they said 'Oh.. we can't see that' and I then told them it was right there on page 3 of my resume, after which they informed me that it was a compliment...

My answer was 'Yeah - I know I'm unreasonably pretty'.

I had to take an intelligence test, which showed that I had intelligence, and then they subjected me to a hogan test - one of the questions was 'do you have any residual bitterness towards your parents' - which was a really good question, so I decided that I had to ask that of the interviewer when it was my turn to ask questions.

We had a good chat about how we felt towards our parents, and why they have hosed up our lives, the goddamn bastards...

(No - what happened was that I told the guy that a question like that was clearly stepping over the line, and that they should stop using the hogan test, because it was to americanised to be used in other cultural settings - we do not discuss 'spirituality' in personality tests in secular europe, neither do we answer questions about our parents and our relationships with our families - but apparently americans do - which blows my loving mind).

After a while they decided to test my english, so we had to switch to speaking english.. this was awesome - especially since I had asked a barrage of questions just before, and they spend the next 10 minutes answering them... in English... (during which I basically just audibly nodded my head). I think I passed the English test with flying colours.

Then I went and bought 4 kilos of nutella, for my youngest daughter - which is around 20% of her bodyweight when I come to think of it...

Next time I will buy her body weight in nutella.

Your pal

Happy Hat

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 7, 2016

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Marta Velasquez posted:

I'm American, and I've never once been asked about this. Asking about spirituality in particular is almost asking for a discrimination lawsuit.

It was very, very odd...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

MrSlam posted:

I'm from the most churchy state in America and that interview sounds like it was put through google translate a few too many times. What country was it in?

In Denmark.

The test in question is the Hogan test - administered by the Hogan Assessment Systems.

The major advantage of the Hogan test is that is at a competitive price point - it consists of something like 600 questions where you have to answer 'Most like me', or 'Not like me'. Some of the questions are:

"I have residual bitterness towards my parents from growing up"
"I think spirituality is very important"
"I think it is important to influence decisions"

And then each question is repeated in variants again and again and again (and yet again).

A bit nerdy stuff from my different conversations about the topic.
I believe it to categorise people in 14-16 different quadrants. The test eliminates the entire issue of consistency of revealed preferences in the testing setup - which is a good thing, since usually tests that have consistency scores underlying are scored wildly extreme by those able to see through the 8-20 different dimensions when they're posed with the questions, the highly intelligent usually end up in situations where they're scored with borderline personalities in these tests.

I've discussed these tests with several psychologists and psychotherapists by now, people in my own network. They're all consistently and consequently stating the same thing over and over again, which is that the tests are positively affirming peoples personalities, such that you cannot declare yourself as disagreeing with the test. This is interesting, as they're basically doing the same as horoscopes.

The psychologists and psychotherapists then attack the basic foundation for the tests, where they gave me the example of the MBTI (Meyers Briggs Type Indicator) - another test I've been submitted to a few times.

50% of those tested exhibits a significantly different test score within 2 weeks of the original test, and since there's no indicator that personality differs this wildly in such a short period of time this rules out the test as anything but, at best, a score of 'how do you want to be perceived'. The underlying science of the tests (as with the MBTI - which is based on Jungian type indicators, later dismissed as being irrelevant and unusable by the psychology community - as with most of Jungian psychology) is flawed at best and simply wrong.

The tests are described by the psychologists I discussed them with as being "for entertainment purposes at best, damaging for the person at worst, because of their apparent credibility for the company and testee" - one of the persons I spoke with told me that "I would describe the blood type tests in China as a more credible indicator of the potential success for the person than this", and yet it is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Basically the prolificacy of the test is damaging for both talent and for companies, and an even more competitive price point than hogan is submitting people to random Cosmo tests, and using those as an off-set for a conversation.

The really fun thing is that the main indicator of a persons success in a company is actually his/hers intelligence. These tests are (off course) administered too, but since intelligence tests actually have standards etc. they're now called 'aptitude tests'. In this example the aptitude test consisted of 50 questions of a mathematical, logical, language understanding etc. tests.

Examples could be:
- Which is the next number in this sequence: 1 2 3 5 7 11?
- Which is not like the other: a. Apple b. Tomato c. Pear d. Plum e. Banana
- If you have 6 windows, and for each window need 4,5 m of fabric to make the curtains, and curtain fabric is USD 8,01 per m - how much would that be in DKK when the price of an USD is 7,56 in DKK?

For those 50 questions you have 12 minutes to complete the test, and the test clearly states that you shouldn't expect to complete them all. (You cannot use a calculator)

What they're actually interested in here is your strategy for the test - they expect you to fail in completing the test, such that they can see if you have a strategy where you approach the test by filling it out from one end to the other, or 'saving questions for later' and which type of questions it is, since they're testing your 'aptitude' in 4 dimensions. At the same time they give you an overall score.

This test is flawed too - if you see the sample questions, there's 2 logical errors in those (and these are real questions for the test - I noticed more errors in the test).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

So basically...

The chinese focus on blood type is as good an indicator of a persons success...

They do not call them intelligence tests anymore because they're not allowed to administer intelligence tests - that requires an actual education..

Their tests are logically flawed...

If you know anything about isoquants and revealed preferences you're hosed...

If you're intelligent you're scoring as borderline, but the test administrator won't know it because nobody with any significant intelligence would be in that field of work...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Or...

These tests are as efficient at estimating the capabilities of a person as a hentai schoolgirl cosplaying, middleaged, obese, white ginger man flailing his arms at an oncoming truck while chanting spells from 'the elder scrolls' in high-elvish.

They don't say a loving lot, they make absolutely no sense, and the only benefit is entertainment for those observing, with a dread that it will all end in tears, school uniforms flying through the air and skidmarks on oversized girl-panties.

Edit: Added photographical illustration of my esteem of the tests.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 11, 2016

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Force de Fappe posted:

This is some modern Scandinavian poo poo, to be fair. Not everywhere but enough to be a nuisance on the regular.

Is it? I honestly thought it was something outside.. I mean...

Unless it is that awful mindfullness poo poo they mean..

Goddamnit - it is - isn't it?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Something I've been thinking about off and on...

When I do steaks and crank the stove from 3KW and all the way to 8KW output on one plate (high loving heat - let's make something glow) - I find that yes, the crust forms perfectly, but it takes the same time, and the heat simply doesn't penetrate as well into the meat - I always end up with blue/rare steak at high heat - where I can easier hit medium rare/nice crust on lower heat (and keeping the same times)...

I've experimented around with this quite a bit - but have no idea why this is - it seems like there's something insulating the steak from the heat or something when I crank it up too high, or is it just me who got my head wrapped around this wrong?

Is there an explanation? Ideas?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

feedmegin posted:

I dont think the FBI has SWAT teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI_Special_Weapons_and_Tactics_Teams

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

So...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Life hack: Bernaise is pretty much just mayonnaise made with butter. So add butter to your store bought mayo.

Actually...

Life hack here is that if your bernaise (or your aioli) is piss-poor at emulsifying (because you're a dumb poo poo like me, who uses two attempts every loving time he makes aioli), then get a new bowl, add 1 tablespoon of store bought mayo, and start adding the rest of the stuff. Emulsification will happen.

It will bring the sauce to it's knees like a king-pimp breaking in his new girl.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

FishBulb posted:

I've been having trouble getting stuck blender mayo to come together since I moved. I'm gunna try that.

Tell us how it went - when you do :)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Today is as insane as a sewer rat tripping out on meth-amphetamines.

It demands a certain kind of respect.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Oh hello there!

I will be in NY next week and be vegan with dino while waving an american flag and playing the star-spangled-banner on kazoo. I will do this in honor of gws.

Kind regards

Happy Hat

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Not gonna GWS ss this year - because life tends to happen too much right now...

My oldest kid is right now in that phase of life where she is a drat hippie... It is fun to follow, even though she may be kicked out of the church because of her views (and entirely wrong questions)...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Wait... so does that mean that going on diets like paleo, south-beach, only eating food that is orange, or only drinking food is basically wrong?

So my espresso enemas don't work?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Are we still talking about putting thing up our butts?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Why the hell do I need to go to a cooking forum to learn that people insert ginger in their anuses, and then call it 'figging', and that it is common in the 50 shades of.... circles in the US?

Rectally administered horse radish seems like somewhat hardcore though... But why the fish?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

There's kinda a long way from that place to the palate..

Edit: therattle: Why do you stuff more or less alive fishes up yourself? Is it true that it cleans your palate?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

ok...

I have a new brother in law, who incidentally has the same name as me...

He is a brewmaster at a largish brewery (he makes a couple of million liters a year) - anyways, he also experiments..

I like him better than any of my previous in-laws, incidentally!

Anyways...

He made a experimental run that will never hit the market named 'Happy Hat got drunk'...

I opened one of them - 75 cl - it was good - I drank it while cooking.. opened another one...

Have just called him - they're loving 13%...

13%...

I am drunk..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I will now proceed to love the world - show my wife sweet lovin', be awesome by fighting world decease (oh yeah - got a new job fighting polio, TB and poo poo like that for Bill Gates and WHO), and feeling that therattle is the most awesome person next to dino. ....

Why the hell are people getting me drunk by proxy...

Seriously though...

Much, much love!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mindphlux posted:

someone should probably make some fancy water or something where if you have aspergers it tastes like poop but otherwise it tastes maybe like mints so folks can know when they're on the spectrum

This sounds like an idea.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The last several times I've been at Ikea, I've picked up this mixed grain in a bag type thing. It's very good, flavoured with mushrooms and thyme. However, it's a long way to Ikea, and I figure I can make this stuff at home, but I'm not totally sure how. A big part of the enjoyment is that it's super convenient - boil for one minute, let sit covered for ten, and it's done. So they must be using parboiled grains, yes? The list is oats, wheat, barley, and rye. I can do bulgar for the wheat I suppose, but I'm not sure about the rest of it. I plan to get what I need and just make a big tub of this (to keep next to my rice tub) to scoop out of when I want a fast dinner.

Isn't it just pearl wheat, barley etc? Dried mushrooms and thyme?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

That Works posted:

I think hops are good for this above a certain minimum.

Basically beer? The beer shall tell us if they have asbergers? Is there a difference on self-diagnosed beer-rear end-burgers and plain old asbergers?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Stein

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I think I would enjoy owning a bread maker...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Nah, seems like it is too much work, all that not kneading..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I think being a feeder and being a kneader is two very different things, which only on the surface has overlapping properties, and those mostly being coincidental.

You may knead to feed someone, but I would surmise that when you are a feeder, you would mostly base yourself on much more easily obtainable calories, to easier obtain the pure sexual pleasure you garner from the weight gain in your partner.

But your experiences may be different than mine. To each his own.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

Logistics and distribution of wealth.

Nah - all disasters are localised - it is all about logistics.

Late to jump in - but soylent does not bring anything to the table - it is vegan, it is bulky, and it requires clean water to work properly... The nutritional density is off as gently caress when it comes to solving anything hunger related, and it only generates waste issues..

It is, for all means and purposes, idiotic and a complete waste. So it will probably catch on, like syphilitic hookers in 1850s Boston - just make sure that when 'mothers against hunger' starts to send this in 40' containers to the emergency units, they include the mercury urethra syringes against syphilis, because that will be as effective and as wanted.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

I’m sure it’s true of disaster areas but when it comes to general distribution of food I would be surprised if income didn’t feature. That said, I don’t know much about it.

An interesting read...

https://ourworldindata.org/food-per-person

You're of course right, but if you ignore the outliers, it is not as if the average caloric intake per capita varies wildly. I think the per capita ratio of food:housing is about the same, so basically if they have a lovely income (in comparison to e.g. the US), the food is relatively cheaper.

Food isn't really distributed much, which is also why disasters are so localised, and when you're talking about "solving" world hunger, the income distribution has very little to do with the transportability of the food (if low-income societies become more rich, the income inequality makes sure that it is mainly the rich who gets richer, not really creating an incentive to move food across borders).

It is cheaper to move Nike trainers than to move food, and the price of moving Nike trainers from China to the US is (per pair of shoes) less than the price you pay to VISA to clear the payment. (that has zero bearing on the argument, but it is an interesting factoid from one of the largest transport companies in the world).

So basically - if you're a rich society, you are able to pay the extreme discrepancy in wages and the transport cost of moving food, if you're a poor society it will never be feasible to move food to feed the hungry (except in case of disasters, where good-hearted people ship off food).

So basically...

Yes - you're not wrong - if the hungry had money, they would have food - but if they had money, they would eat locally grown food, until they had such a surplus that they would not be hungry... (setting aside humanitarian disasters).

There's certain indexes, btw, that are used to measure the impact of a disaster - one of them is the change in the exchange rate for local currency and USD (localised exchange rates and deflation starts to happen), the price elasticity of a prostitute (a reduction of the price of a prostitute to 1/10 of the local minimum wage is considered catastrophic), the price of rice etc.

The most efficient emergency relief aid to move is, by the way, American dollars..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 30, 2018

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Ahh... there's p. much no faster way to get fired...

Picking up black babies against their will and taking them to the US is entirely kosher though...

It's called the Jolie move.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Icelandic seaweed brennívin is really a thing..

I think that we, in the nordics right now, are really just taking the piss.. We're trying to add seaweed to everything (one of my buddies is the head of the board of the largest nordic seaweed company, and I do, involuntary product testing for them). We also like to add liquorice to everything (sexy liquorice syrup - let me smother my partner in that and then lick it off to get that sweet taste of sweat, bodily fluids and salty liquorice in one unholy goddamn mixture, leaving me wanting for death, but with a raging hard-on, crying and reminiscing on when you first got to taste a lint-filled piece of liquorice from you dads pocket on a stroll in the forrest, where you found a rotting, dead deer, and the mixture of the taste and the smell reminds you of that deer... - but now you got a goddamn boner, so I guess you now involountarily induced your next goddamn kink.)

Basically what I am saying is that brennívin with seaweed is a thing...

Anyways - happy thanksgiving amerigoons, I hope you spend it with someone you love, and I hope that you can stand them also!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I miss you guys too..

I have old, worn-out, t-shirts, which were once white in colour, pristine and neat.

Those shirts have been worn - the fabric and fiber has lost its will to resist, and is now thin and malleable. I have spots on my shirt - one from when I was painting my oldest daughters bed, one from when I was repairing the youngest bike, one from when I spilled oil down myself while concocting a new thing comprising all the love I have for my family into a single meal.

They have seen toil, sweat, tears and joy.

My aryan babies steal my shirts - they are no longer mine.

My oldest wear my shirts while going to demonstrations against Nazism together with her Antifa buddies, or while cooking communal meals in the left wing house.

My youngest wear them when she goes to ballet, when she speaks publicly and when she works in school.

My shirts have seen love, hope, trouble loss and life.

I love my shirts.

You are old shirts.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 28, 2019