Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

dino, You've probably done it a bunch of times before, but could I get a link to your book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

Really? When I've had lotus root, it's just like a potato: either a super crisp potato chip or a nice stewed potato.
http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333544942&sr=8-1

Thanks muchly.

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

Fo3 posted:

That's the country Au speak anyway, in a suit and in the city it's somewhere in between, but still stands out as still being very different from everywhere else that speaks english because it has that mix between deep and gruff and sing song nasally speaking quality.

As a linguist I have to point out that this is not an entirely accurate characterization. Also, in this case, there is no difference between 'ya' and 'ye' as the intended vowel is a schwa (ə), which can be represented by either character.

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

Yeah, it's true that I'm being overly picky. It's just that any orthographic vowel in English does get used to represent schwa at some point.

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

Fo3 posted:

Since you're here, why do we like saying 'carsill' for 'castle'

Are you actually pronouncing an r? I would have guessed not. If you actually are, I would guess that because Australian dialects typically don't pronounce syllable final r's that it's an instance of hyper-correction and putting r's where no one else actually has them. Other than that, the t disappeared as complex consonant clusters have a tendency to simplify over time. The last bit is either a syllabic l or schwa followed by l which is fairly typical.