Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
That sounds like a great penalty for the next Cook or Die challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Darval posted:

The ingredient list

1 box curry blocks
400g meat
600g onions (about three medium sized)
300g potato (about two medium sized)
200g carrot (about 1 medium)
salad oil 2 tbsp
1200ml water

Directions:

1. Cut up all the meat and vegetables into chunks, heat the oil in a stewpot until hot, put everything in the pot.

2. Add the water, bring to boil and then lower heat to simmer for 15min.

3. break up the flavor bricks and add them all, stirring until they dissolve

4. simmer another 10 minutes

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

The curry pack in that box is "medium" spicy. In my experience Japanese curries are very very very mild, even when the box is labeled HOT with pictures of red chilies. The blocks also thicken then broth, so unless you like your curries soupy you should add all the blocks.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I am down for a contest to make the most pH neutral foods.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I signed up for the chili cookoff at work. I will not let you down, GWS.

Except there's a small part of me that wants to bring a crockpot of Hormel Chili...

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I like turtles posted:

I am so loving excited right now :dance: because this place apparently just opened a little ways away from where I work. It is supposed to be fantastic. http://chinapastahouse.com/China_Pasta_House/menu.html

That place looks amazing. Although for a place called China Pasta House I expected a Chinese/Italian fusion bistro?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I like turtles posted:

Tea egg (holy loving poo poo where have these been all of my life I feel like doing a chinese food version of cool hand luke oh my god. They're 50c a piece.)

Did these come peeled already? Were they sliced? Was it an egg by itself or served as a side to accompany something? Were there pictures? If there weren't you should go back and take pictures.

I want a place like that here, in my most fantastical daydreams it's what we turn Chin's Cafe into.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

There is no central governing body over the CoDs. If you have an idea, go ahead and post it before someone else does!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

http://mediaphage.net/foodchat.html

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

dino. posted:

You really must come over some time for dinner, VM. Your stories alone would be worth spending an hour in the kitchen to cook you a meal.

Can I get in on this party?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Interesting... Japan is trying to get its citizens to eat more rice and less wheat

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ce_.single.html

And a neato machine that makes bread out of rice!

I wouldn't mind having a Gopan machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EKGAnWKHmI

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

dino. posted:

chickpea dosas, and coconut chatni

I WANT THAT.

Dino, thanks again for everything. We're both more excited about food and cooking than ever. Hurry up and come visit me so you can meet my cat.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

This excellent music video from Kyary Pamyu Pamyu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoK8DaJRDaM

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Happy pigday!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Trap Star posted:

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm starting to keep track of what I eat, trying to lose a bit of weight and working out to develop some muscle. I'm trying to determine roughly how many calories, etc are in my daily breakfast. The label lists the info for uncooked bacon, what I'm trying to figure out is how much that information is changed by cooking. I figure the calories and stuff would be a bit lower since I'm not drinking the grease that comes off the bacon.

I've tried using the about.com calorie site but the info there doesn't seem to jive with the label. It's Maple Leaf regular bacon, and I have a food scale on the way if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help guys!

Since you have a scale, collect and weigh the bacon grease after cooking, then subtract the number of calories from the total precooked calories.

Or don't worry that hard about it because it'll all average out in the long run. As long as you're approaching your goal, a couple grams of unaccounted for bacon isn't going to hurt.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

22. Geoduck ceviche :psyduck:

65. Beaver flapper Chicharron :canada:

94. Crunchy maple syrup discs with pancake sauce

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Phummus posted:

Thanks for ignoring, Wrought!

No big updates. Surgery is scheduled for 7:45 tomorrow morning.

Every finger crossed for you guys.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Happy Abobo posted:

Same: tell us how it works out!

Anyone caught The Avengers yet? I'm checking it out tomorrow with some people who are beyond excited about it, which always makes me a bit nervous. I saw Fellowship of the Ring with a huge Tolkien fan and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I haven't seen it yet but I've heard lots of good reports. Whedon's sense of humor and snappy one liners are said to match the Avengers personalities well. Have you checked out the animated series on netflix? I like watching a couple episodes every Saturday while eating breakfast, reminds me of being a kid again.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Randomity posted:

I've never had rhubarb. It is on sale at the grocery store down the street, how much should I buy to make ice cream topping for 4 adults? Does it cook down a lot?

Look what came in the latest Sous Vide Supreme newsletter!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

I was thinking much the same thing, HA.

BTW, when I first noticed your blue star, I saw your name as "Happy Adobo." Given the nature of GWS, that would not be a bad name change at all.

Edit: Although I love your avatar. :3:

...you mean it hasn't always been Happy Adobo?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I packed some almonds for a long road trip and I couldn't stop giggling at it.

The smaller words near the bottom said "Great Flavor - Guaranteed" snicker snicker.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

My only friend at work put in her 2 week notice today. I told her I am proud of her for standing up for herself. Secretly I am hoping that she is just mad because she was yelled at about some things and when she feels better she will decide not to leave. I don't want to lose my only work friend.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I am making a carrot cake for Mr. Charmmi's Dad. It is his favorite cake and he is my favorite dad. :3:

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I spent all yesterday with my father in law... working at his restaurant.
They had found some good deals on seafood that day so we had some amazing food.

For lunch we ate a whole steamed tile fish and stir fried tofu with char siu and green beans.

I promise there's a fish under all that scallion and ginger and cilantro.
There's no pretty way to plate it, you just dig out a chunk of fish with your chopsticks and have at it. I split one of the cheeks with Mr. Charmmi, the other one went to his dad.

Dinner was Lobster Canton, chunks of lobster stir fried in a savory eggy sauce. This is where the sauce in Shrimp and Lobster Sauce comes from.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Nice bendy boner you got there.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Pangurban is my handsome lil man.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Congratulations, that is super good news!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I had a super good America Day. I ate three ears of corn. And then I ate a whole pile of oysters, some steamed some raw. I shucked my first oyster ever yesterday, and then a few more. I did not cut or stab myself. I played with my cat and then some video games and then did some crochet. I even had time to get a nap in before bedtime. Everything pretty much happened the way I wanted it to and that makes me feel pretty good.

Today I googled "Weather Vagina" so gently caress you guys.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

So many tasty chinese carbohydrates! :kimchi:

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Liquid Communism Eat The Tenderloin

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

You're a loving prick.

What? Nothing about that sounded prickish to me.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I pair sushi with fried chicken. The light and delicate flavors of sushi and sashimi contrast well with the crisp and hearty bite of freshly fried chicken. 100% seriouspost.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I need to see the Kasper music video. Please share this.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Who was it that mangled their thumb in a stick blender trying to clean out hummus without unplugging it? I think about you every time I use my stick blender. I make sure to only keep it plugged in if I am going to use it immediately and unplug it as soon as I am done.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I've been watching a lot of non-Asians eat noodle soup and it can be a pretty messy spectacle. This is what I do: Tear off the basil leaves before adding to the soup. I rip them into smaller pieces. Add the bean sprouts to the soup, mix it into the hot broth and they will soften a little bit. I also add a slice or two of jalapeno and a squirt of lime. Squeeze in some sriracha and hoisin. Mix it all up. Chopsticks in main hand, spoon in off hand. Sometimes I build little bits on the spoon: a bit of twirled up noodle, a piece of meat, a bit of basil, a bit of soup. Other times I eat the noodles straight. You will need to lean close to the bowl so you don't splash broth all around. Use the soup soon to drink the soup until there's not enough to spoon. Then you pick it up, bring it to your face, and tilt back. Most importantly don't feel like you're doing it wrong or adding the wrong thing in the wrong order. If it tastes good to you then you're doing it right. It's weird you had to ask for a spoon though. I've never had pho where there wasn't a caddy of spoons and chopsticks and sauces on the table.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

There's an addon that turns baby pictures into other pictures. I have mine set to cats.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

bartolimu posted:

If you want ramen with a level of horror only Vegas can create, you could try Anime Ramen.

I want to go to there. I also hate myself.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Say hi to CHEF BOSS GIOVANNI for me. :3:

I might be cooking on a food truck on Monday! This weekend will be spent scrambling to figure out how to get everything ready.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Even worse is "sammie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I feel like bragging. I was helping my inlaws make about 500 chinese dumplings one afteroon. I was the best dumpling maker. These were all restaurant owning folk. One lady had never made wrappers from scratch, they'd always used store bought wonton wrappers. The last time I made dumplings was when I was 8 years old watching my grandmother. She worked the rolling pin with one hand while turning the wrapper with the other. I even remembered you're supposed to roll the wrappers so that the middle is slightly thicker than the outside edge so the dumplings don't get too doughy where the edges are crimped together. I made my ancestors proud. Hooray.