Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Happy Hat has NICSA duty. Disappears without a trace.

Dino gets NICSA duty. Ends up in the ER.

NICSA is trying to kill the people running it.

(I hope you're okay dino :ohdear: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wiggles are you alive? Someone posted a mayonnaise guacamole recipe in your mexican food thread and its been almost a day and dude is still not :flame:

:ohdear:

Why the gently caress would you put mayo in guacamole? I don't even eat guacamole and I know better.

dino. posted:

Returned from the back therapist. So it's going to be 3x's a week physical therapy, plus a stronger dose of ibuprofen, plus a new med for when the back goes into spasms instead of just pain. Also, they've ordered X-rays. And then they strapped me into the back brace. HOLY CATS what a difference it makes. For the first time in three weeks I've been able to go to a grocery store, make a full circuit of it, and walk up the stairs with the delivery guy (who carried the bags) and not be screaming in pain or out of breath.

Goddamn dude. Hopefully they find something on the xrays that they can fix no problem.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eh, I have a priest.

The kind that uses a bible, or the kind you use on a rabbit? Because I imagine both would work when used in different ways.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

dino. posted:

Lift? That's what the husband is for.

Do curls with cans of chickpeas.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chickpea dressing on kale sounds loving amazing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I will never forget the surprisingly massive amount of loud fat 2am anal sex that was had at the last gooncamp I went to. =(

How do you know for sure it was anal sex?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's the American way!

:patriot:

It's good to hear that things are alright though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's loving 110 F outside and has been all weekend. Hasnt dropped below 78F at night for 3 days. Summer season worst season. Go home summer. GTFO. :frogout:

It's only 102 here (only?) but yeah I don't remember the last time it wasn't 77+ at night at this point. It sucks. Summer sucks. The only good thing about it is fresh watermelon. I can't wait until winter. :colbert: It's only a couple hours drive up to go hide my head in a couple feet of snow then.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

We had hot dogs. I had the abomination of "veggie dogs" in Sara Lee buns. :patriot:

And it's free at the local on-base movie theatre today for everybody, so we're gonna go catch some movies shortly since nobody can really do any fireworks without burning the whole city down.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

pr0k posted:

Congrats!

Why would you do that to yourself.

We had grilled chicken-on-a-stick, watermelon, and wifey made good zucchini-parm crisps in the oven that even the kids ate. Simple as hell. I cut the zucs on the mandoline, she rubbed 'em with olive oil and breaded with panko, parm, salt, and pepper. 450 oven for a half hour I think. We ate two half-sheets of the fuckers. Nice light summer dinner then saw a bunch of "wee-booms" as the kids call 'em.

Masochism, pure and simple. They tasted like salty little assholes wrapped in hatred. The bun was pure sadness. Together, those veggie dogs represented all the trials and tribulations people face when trying to reach their American :patriot: Dream :911: .

Did you grill the watermelon? Because you totally should have.

Hawkgirl posted:

Wedding went fine and we watched fireworks from a restaurant on Maui. Sadly we have not done any goon-recommended things yet, because they're all on Oahu and we're not flying there until tomorrow afternoon.

We went snorkeling today and I saw a turtle!! And then we went jetskiing and got terrible sunburns. Now we are stuck in horrible fireworks traffic in Lahaina.

Aww, congratulations dude. I hope you enjoyed sleeping in that traffic because you probably did knowing Hawaii. But sea turtles are awesome and so is snorkeling.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

does anyone know anything firsthand about the tokyo airport? I have a short stopover there next month and have about 2.5 hours to kill each way. I read about one good sushi place in some terminal, but wondering if anyone's been anywhere in that place.

Narita or the other one?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You want http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/shops/rest_shop/rest/floor_list/detail/t1s303_t0000c.html . Keeping in mind I've only had their tamago, but everything looked wonderful and husband was incredibly satisfied. Though there's a sushi-go-round over in terminal 2 if you want something a bit more gimmicky. It wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't as good as them.

Tako-bon had the best takoyaki out of the entire place according to husband if you need to grab a snack to go.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/shops/rest_shop/rest/floor_list/detail/t1cb05_t00003.html Jitsuen teuchi udon kineya had amazing noodles a couple of years back while I was there and I've been told the quality's still amazing. It's kansai style though.

Mostly everything else I had at narita was just standard stuff you'd pick up at any restaurant in Japan. Nothing's bad, but those places stuck with me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Just make rib rock candy.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Are you guys sure you aren't making alcoholic v8?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Nope, just literally saying there are bad mechanics and you should always get a 2nd opinion.

It's not "there are bad mechanics" it is "there are a lot of bad mechanics and tons of shops will rip you off and masturbate madly with your money as soon as they close for the night". I know this because my step grandfather used to be one of the latter. He'd flat out laugh about loving destitute people over.

Unless you've literally driven the car into the ground there is no way that a corolla with that few miles should need an entire engine replacement. It likely needs some work, but you shouldn't have to pull the whole thing out. It's a 2003, not a 2010. 2003's were alright (even if they didn't come in teal :qq: ). I could understand if it was 300k+ or something, but it's not. Knocking is bad, but it's not end of the world bad in most cases. N'thing go to a different, better mechanic and see what they say.

And I realize different make/model/year but my giant fuckoff 90's Tahoe only needed an engine replacement because some moron literally ran it with 0 coolant for like, a week or some insanity before we got our hands on it. Low oil for a long period will hurt an engine but that should be replacing parts, not the entire drat thing.

SubG posted:

I'm not sure it you're responding to my joke with another joke that I'm just not getting, but there is no kind of Chevy (or any other) engine that has the valves in the short block instead of the heads; replacing the engine for a valve problem essentially never makes sense, unless the valve problem caused some other, larger problem (e.g. in an interference engine you could end up shearing off your valve stems and loving up one or more cylinders in the process).

The lumina might as well have had the valves up it's rear end for as good as it did those vans. The 3.1 anyway.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The only bad thing about Milwaukee is that their blades really shot up in price a bit ago and they don't seem to last as long.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

anyone have any p.interesting food documentaries or cooking shows I could download off youtube or vimeo or something?

I have two 22 hour flights coming up in the next couple weeks and I'm starting to panic re: entertainment

and sanity

:angel: There's three seasons of masterchef out there.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

EVG posted:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I kinda love that show. :)

More, I wanna see him freak out on the plane at someone putting up some really terrible food. Masterchef is bizarre but okay by me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

dino. posted:

Wow. Didn't realise there was that much contempt for me. Sorry guys. :(

If there is, I'll defend your honor with a katana. (there isn't)

contrapants posted:

I have absolutely no contempt for you, dino. You've shown me that there are vegans who choose to be vegan because they want to or feel it's right. It just seems that you're in the minority because being pseudo-vegan and humblebragging about it to feel superior seems to be a trend right now.

It's not as prevalent here, thankfully, or I'd probably be shooting my mouth off at them because I just don't have any filtering ability with douchebag vegetarians and vegans in public settings. Not only do they make us all look bad, but they usually have no loving idea what they're talking about (I'm a vegan just like you! Hey would you like this fish sandwich?). It's like any diet that goes though a fad period and I look forward to some other thing coming along so they can all go choke on fruit leather or something.

On the other hand, around here you get a lot of "You're a vegan/vegetarian?! Ohmigosh, how long?! I could NEVER do that! But you eat chicken right?! How about a chicken enchilada?!" from the waiters and waitresses and random people at the grocery store and :cripes: I just asked to substitute broccoli for chicken on my pasta, why do you want to know my whole life's story!? Or they get really defensive. But they did that in Okinawa too so I got used to it. Angry little asian ladies growling at me asking why I didn't eat my pork in tiny little hole in the wall restaurants (that were incredible). :3:

Though I'll admit if someone at the grocery store sees me pick up like, tofu or something, and they ask me how to cook it I'll probably shoot off on a twenty minute talk so I don't mind the grocery store quite as much.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

All this is doing is making me want to chance a stroke by going and eating the entire dozen eggs in the fridge, hardboiled. Possibly sliced on top of veggie "sloppy joes".

E: Or over medium on like 12 bean patties, whatever. I just wants eggs in me okay? Eggs are the best.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Needs a giant downward pointing thumb in the middle of the picture. What's in the bowl?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

I bought a ricer yesterday to make gnocchi, but what else would I want to rice? And why is it called a ricer, anyway?

Put a fly in it and see if maggots fall out the other side.

If I had a ricer I'd probably spend a few hours just cramming stuff into it to see if it would rice or not. It's not like I have anything else to do since I work from home. Maybe you could rice some fruit or something and then make sorbet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

When you all think of fall foods, what do you think of? It's mabon this week with group and I feel kinda braindead. I'm doing pumpkin apple butter, walnut muffins & yeast rolls (there's some nut allergies in group), turkey, veggie fritters and I'm gonna try pomegrante sorbet (buckeyes if that goes bad). It's a group of like, 20-35 so I'm just making food for like 50 because gently caress it. But I can't really seem to think of other things to make.

E: It's also pretty neat because we're cooking with the majority of stuff people have either hunted, gathered, we grew in our group's garden, or someone raised and butchered themselves. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 15, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Maple's a bit harder because it's so, so expensive around here. Maybe cookies or candies of some sort though. Maybe I'll do a butternut squash soup. Toss a little dill in it or something. Would roast butternut and acorn squash work with pickled ginger? I'd pickle the butternut but mabon's on saturday. I don't think that's anywhere near enough time. Same reason I'm not making ginger beer like I helped make last year. :smith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They are the reason people hate vegetarians as a rule. Tell them a vegetarian said this, then make your goddamned beef burrito because it's not like the cow's soul is going to scream from the microwave every time they open the door.

On the off chance that it does, move far and fast.

Oh, and E:

Skinny King Pimp posted:

You can also take a y peeler to a butternut squash and make noodles that you can either sautee up real fast with whatever or let them sit in some acid to soften up before serving them raw in a salad. Butternut noodles, arugula, dried cranberries, goat cheese, and pecans/almonds with an herby/dijony vinaigrette is a salad I love making in the fall.

I was already doing a greens/dried cranberries/pecans/cheese salad so gently caress it, I will totally add those noodles and see how it turns out. My vinaigrette is almost the exact same as you're talking about too. So thanks dude. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

Actually they claim that it releases magical vapors that they can smell for days later. I'll dig a pig-roasting pit in the back yard.

edit: Thanks for being supportive, guys. I've been living here for almost a year and they only just started admitting that I live here. Apparently the landlord was just putting off talking about it with the other roommates because it's not an egalitarian structure and he pretty much just runs the place like a bad father in a dysfunctional family. It makes me feel a little better to hear that I'm not crazy or a jerk for wanting to be able to eat meat in my little corner of this hellhole. :unsmith:

Okay no, seriously, the only thing I can even smell a little bit is bacon and it's not like it taints my precious soy loaf of joy and sinful eating pleasure. How many TVP patty things do they eat a day?

therattle posted:

Do it when nobody is around just to see if anyone notices.

Do this.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Good things usually happen when you're mad. Go on a jihad.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

oh sorry, I didn't really get very far in writing, you can reboot your thread if you want casu.

I hope all you wrote was "I made bagel bites once in the microwave therefore I am the Master of Pizza" or something along those lines.

Seriously somebody write the drat pizza thread so I can be learnin' about pizza (and so can everyone else).

Me in Reverse posted:

Allium is a monocot genus of flowering plants, informally referred to as the onion genus. The generic name Allium is the Latin word for garlic.

:catstare:

English~.

I have a 24 pound loving turkey to roast today (and so many other things). This thing's breast is so big I'm surprised it didn't fall forward when a stiff wind brushed against it's back. Is stuffing stuffing up the bird's rear end in a top hat still "a bad thing" or is it cool to do that? Because I really prefer doing it that way but if there's some reason not to, I won't. I just can't ever remember because I make turkey once a year.

E: should I make a fall cooking thread? We usually have a holiday one, but a 'flavors of the season' kind of thing with common flavors as well as what's in season at that time (and comparisons, etc) might be a neat sperg? We could just do a different one for winter/spring/summer? :ohdear: But if people hate that idea I won't do it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Stuffing in a turkey is a bad thing. Stuff it with aromatics instead. Oranges, apples, plums, rosemary, thyme, etc.

Ah, right. It's chickens I get to ram full of bread components. Oh well. Gonna go cram a turkey with some fruit and herbs then. Gonna get in there deep :getin:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Why do people insist on rolling out sugar cookie dough? Don't they know if you're just making rounds you can roll it into a log with plastic wrap, freeze it for 30-45min and then just cut rounds off?

They like to suffer through rolling out cookie dough. I guess it's reasonable if they're making shaped cookies, but otherwise yeah I just roll into a log and cut after it's chilled.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would break the whole thing down and cook everything separately.

I wanted to. They wanted a "centerpiece". It weighs approximately 8 tons in it's cooking pan. They wanted it, they're toting it in from my car.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I can't think of anything that pops worse than chicken livers in a fryer, but they smell good while the fryer is attacking at least. A friend of mine does them in a stew with dumplings and raw eggs thrown in at the end to partially cook. Saute with garlic and onions, toss in with the dumplings in whatever broth and throw in eggs after you take off the heat.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

NosmoKing posted:

I just installed my rotisserie on my grill.

I've never had one before!!

What dead animals should I rotate first??

Do a whole cow and just chew on it as it cooks.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's related to food being orgasmic when you do it right. Clearly, you aren't doing it right :shepface:

therattle posted:

I have hurt my thumb nail opening pistachios. /First world issues.

Those bastards will go after you if you don't hold them down while you rip their protective shell off. I'm tellin' you. Pistachios are dangerous.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Does chili have beans in it?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm giving it a shot. If it's over my head, at least I tried. :shobon: It sounds neat.

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm taking that edX course too. I'd be down for a dedicated thread if only for the fact that my "familiarity with high school level chemistry" is "I somehow managed not to fail high school chemistry."

All I remember from chemistry is "don't pour cold water in a hot glass". :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Take recipe that uses ground beef, replace with something like Gardein, eat. Chili is mostly about getting a good spices mixture/flavor setup. I dunno, anything is basically vegetable soup (which is still good, but).

The gardein stuff kinda turns to mush in my experience. If you want soy textured protein stuff in your chili, the morningstar farms garbage is better but not by much. I just usually throw in a couple different types of beans instead of one.

contrapants posted:

Are people actually afraid of GWC? I got the impression that no one cared because GWC isn't all about video games or categorizing funny pictures.

People are afraid of GWC and PI and neither have the teeth they used to so I don't get it. I just put it to that whole "goons are scared of weird poo poo".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Many of us don't want to bother because we don't want to be probated for jumping someone's poo poo-

Go look at PI's 'how do we fix this forum' sticky and apply to GWS/C.

quote:

Nobody is going to give you an actual serious hard time about using premade phyllo if you're a home cook. I sure as hell don't. On the other hand it's serious good points if you do because making phyllo is the business.

I make pie dough once a year and gently caress it, otherwise I'm buyin' pillsbury because sitting a pie crust right makes me get crazy and I don't want to sit there for an hour on one pie crust because one edge is uneven.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, this is what I miss, the participation. Even the last handful of ICSAs have had very few entries.

The most common reason I hear from that is "I'm too poor to do anything" and even a few of the regulars were saying that. But yeah, intimidated is a better word than "fear" or whatever I said.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ Cook or die looks great, but I don't want to commit to something that I absolutely have to do or face the consequences(!!). But then that's half the fun. And fried chicken looked fantastic.

mediaphage posted:

That would be true if you used the regular Gardein things like the beef tips or patties, but the crumbles hold up perfectly well in chilis and stews - I had some last night for dinner. They're really nice.

Huh. Last time I tried it, it was just goo. I'll give it another try. It's always good to know the TVP stuff that actually tastes okay and what it does well in.

quote:

I used to be like this until I switched to doing all my pie doughs in the food processor. Brilliant, flaky results and it takes a max of ten minutes from start to baking, discounting resting for a couple of hours in the fridge (which is why I always make a double batch and freeze half of it).

Maybe that's my problem. I need an adult food processor instead of the cup and a half $10.99 walmart version I have. Is there a good brand that can deal with getting beat up in moving pretty well? This is the same reason I don't have a stand mixer.

contrapants posted:

American Pie style? :raise:

Commas aren't my friend today either.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

I love how active this thread has been all day today...on the topic of how this subforum has died. Apparently not! Post more, slackers!

The more I post the more how I think what a great idea it is to run an N/ICSA and nobody in their right mind wants that.

Casu Marzu posted:

Also what punishment for COD?

You're forced to eat nothing but cucumbers for the rest of the month. You didn't get the memo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Use a mandoline you motherfucker. Only people with real cooking knowledge should be allowed to cut a tomato.

EVG posted:

I'd be willing to volunteer as a testee for the first thread. Using the tuna helper example, I've never made real seared tuna, (I've made sesame-crusted salmon once before, how hard can it be? :ohdear:) and would like to try again with a cream sauce - the last one I tried broke and was horribly discouraging, but gotta get back on that horse.

Or maybe something like NICSA with a small prize for the best voted variation? I'd put in :10bux: for that (and of course would exempt myself from winning). Make the prize be something like the Flavor Bible or one of those books that everyone always recommends for someone learning to cook?

Do you have archives? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444947 We actually kinda did this sort of thing for an ICSA once and it seemed like folks had fun with it. An NICSA version sounds awesome.