Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Well duh, that's every meal.

As for seafood, I used to fish up tons of Yellow Perch as a kid. My dad would fillet them and mom would pan fry them with some kind of light flour coating. To this day, I love them even more than Walleye. It's probably just nostalgia, but no fish will ever compare to pan fried Perch to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'm not sure I'd go for Italian sausage. I've worked concessions at our county fair for years, and our company actually stopped doing a sausage stand a number of years back, because they just don't sell. People basically saw them as over-priced hot dogs, and being in the boring-rear end midwest, would actually complain about the Italian sausages being too spicy (they were plenty mild).

Something like barbequed pork sandwiches could go well. You could also keep doing burgers, but make the best drat burgers at the fair, offer lots of topping options, good buns, etc. We have a burger stand (that also does fresh-cut fries and fried potato skins) that is an absolute staple, and their burgers are simple, greasy as gently caress, and delicious, and it's all they need to be to constantly be busy. IIRC they use 80/20 beef. The cook times are a bit long when they have a line, so they give you a number when you order, and yell it out when it's up.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Bloody Mary's are best when made with ginger and habanero, as opposed to tobasco/whatever boring hot sauce you like.

I'd love to see a thread along the lines of General Questions, but you ask them to Industry People, and we just tell you how little you know about food, and end it all with "but yeah, that'd work, just add/do X, Y, and Z as well." Or, as I like to call it, EXPLAINING THINGS TO THE NEW GUY AT WORK :smithicide:

GWS: Teaching Fish to Swim

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It won't break as easily and somehow people think it is more appetizing than just adding a pinch of xanthan gum.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

El Jebus posted:

My gin of choice, Ransom's Old Tom Gin. Aged in barrels, so delicious. I like making a bastardized old fashioned with it, too.

Never mind the gin, Dat Abyss! :guinness:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

MrSlam posted:

I'm from the most churchy state in America and that interview sounds like it was put through google translate a few too many times. What country was it in?

My dad does this thing where every birthday in our family he makes a specific kind of cake we ask him for. And since he likes to cook we give him a challenge. Last year my sister asked him to make a nutella cake, and he tried two different recipes but they had a really muted flavor and tasted more like a bland spice bread. I told him to either make a hazlenut flavored chocolate cake or a chocolate flavored hazelnut cake, because dumping a bunch of nutella into it just killed it for some reason. Not enough contrasting flavors? In the end he gave up and we all had one slice each before letting it go stale :(

I wonder what would happen if a person were to take a banana bread recipe and just replace all the banana with nutella.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
GF and I were watching some old cooking shows and she noticed that they put salt and pepper in almost everything (which you pretty much do). She was surprised by this and wondered at what point in western cooking people starting doing this, and I had no idea how far back in time the "a little salt and pepper in everything makes it taste better" thing goes. Anyone here have an idea?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Try this one, it's my mother's recipe, and it's always turned out really well for me:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees

In a food processor, cream 1/2 cup chilled european style butter and 1/3 cup caster sugar/ superfine cane sugar

Then add 1/4 cup rice flour, 3/4 cup all purpose flour (Eagle Mills ultragrain all-purpose unbleached flour gave us the best texture), and if you're using unsalted butter, 1/4 tsp salt and process until just blended.

Form it into a disk and pat into an 8" cast iron skillet, and poke a handful of holes on the surface with a toothpick.

Bake fro 40-45 min, and cut into wedges immediately, then allow it to cool in the pan.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Seriously though, use chilled lard and cutting it in with forks will work fine, if a touch tedious. You will just need to work a bit more briskly that way. poo poo will still end up flaky and delicious as gently caress.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If you want to be :science: you can buy a specific oil and go through an extensive process to get a fantastic initial season on them, which will help a lot, but if you don't you can wipe them with a very very small amount of vegetable oil or coconut oil or a similar oil (though olive oil and butter generally don't work as well) and season them in the oven that way too. If even that's too much effort, just cook bacon and other fatty meats in them over and over again, and they will get better, though they'll probably never get as truly easy to use and enjoyable as if you had gone out of your way to season them. I'm of the opinion that they really are worth it though if you're willing to put in the initial effort. Take the time to do a couple rounds of seasoning on a day off or over several evenings, then just use them to cook bacon or sear and baste meat for a while. Always make sure to rinse them out with hot water and wipe them clean (if your season is good soap isn't a problem either, it isn't going to break down the layer of polymerized oils that make up the seasoning). Always keep them dry. Eventually, start branching out and cooking other things in them, and enjoy the fact that they can handle basically anything you throw at them.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Timely topic. Tonight I'm demonstrating to 30 or so local yokels that tomato sauce is pretty easy to make yourself, and tastes waaay better than the canned/jarred stuff. Plus, it doesn't have mountains of extra salt and sugar in it. Also my "super secret" recipe of using a little beetroot to make it taste richer when you don't have time to simmer it for more than an hour or so, a convenient tip for a 1 1/2-ish hour cooking demonstration.

I'm using some random tomatoes from today's farmer's market, because there's mountains of mixed varieties there for cheap and they're still delicious.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

SubG posted:

Beet and tomato paste are okay, but a little fish sauce will also punch up a quick red sauce and I'm way the gently caress more likely to have some fish sauce handy than beets or tomato paste.

Yeah, I'll add either fish sauce or worcestershire too with the wine when I deglaze. The beets I do fresh, fine diced and sauteed in the pot with a little fresh mushroom before I reduce the heat to sweat my onions and garlic.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

Update: I'm pulling at 125, resting 9 minutes and then blasting at 500. It took some negotiation, but stopped short of armed conflict.

My old man managed steak houses for years, and he’s always said one thing they would do if people ordered their prime well done is just submerge it in the au jus until it no longer looked red.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Jay Carney posted:

Speaking of, I have the complete modernist cuisine set that I have no real use for. Anyone know if there is a resale market for these things? Or am I condemned to bring it with me wherever I move forever and ever.

Count me interested too if the people ahead of me choose not to buy.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We buy meat in bulk because we live in a farming area where it's relatively cheap to fill a chest freezer that way with quality stuff and not worry about of for most of the year. Then we keep a variety of rice/dried pasta handy, and buy shitloads of vegetables and a bit of cheese and some tortillas or bread sometimes. We usually always keep some peppers (poblanos are surprisingly cheaper than others) carrots, potatoes/sweet potatoes, spinach or other leafy greens, sometimes mushrooms, and usually something interesting/on sale to experiment with. In the summer we grow a bunch of tomatoes, carrots, and poblano peppers in the backyard, so we buy very few groceries, and it's fantastic.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Restaurants that try to do things "less complicated" very well instead of trying to do something complicated/trendy quick and dirty to try and cash in are huge to me. I've worked at one, been to many, and read menus of innumerable of the second type, and it seems like so many of them want to be doing something exciting, but the moment they realize how much work it is, find shortcut after shortcut that they think no one will notice until they're just making bad food that doesn't resonate. Some of the meals that have impressed me the most have been at restaurants that choose something they want to do and work hard to both do it well and do it in a way that doesn't feel samey. Menus that have some selection without being sprawling, and a limited number of "concession dishes" that only exist for the lovely friend who gets taken to a good restaurant by his/her friends with adult palates (or parents who bring kids, but that's ever what comes to mind first for me, I assume as a byproduct of being in the upper midwest).

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Be careful what you wish for.

The used bookstore is killing me. I'm developing a collection of old church cookbooks. You know, the little spiral bound ones churches put out to collect old recipes their congregation knows.

There's a few gems in there, but a whole lot of Depression-era hamburger and condensed soup cassaroles.

There's a couple of ladies from roughly the local area who opened up a successful pie shop in NYC, and they come back from time to time and do demos and presentations. They talk about how they scour old church cookbooks and magazine/newspaper articles for old recipes (often terribly nondescriptive ones) to find the secrets behind the best pies of their childhood and before. It's kind of cool to hear them talk about it. Their pies are also incredible.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone have any tricks/recipes for impossibly light savory mousses?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I want something to put little bits of inside cooked pearl onion petals, going with hard seared mushroom medallions, pheasant cooked in very generous amounts of herbed duck fat, and a sauce, I'm leaning towards some sort of blackberry/mustard sauce with a tiny bit of brown sugar. My thought right now is to make a mousse with artichoke, garlic, shallots cooked in a blend of butter and just enough bacon fat to taste without it dominating.

I'm in very early stages of figuring out a possible dish for a hunting tv show that the new exec chef at one of my jobs has asked me to help him with. A lot of my ideas are based on other things I've eaten before and flavor pairing stuff from books like The Flavor Matrix and The Flavor Bible, so I want to test things myself at home and see if they work in practice before I hard pitch any ideas. My backup plan is forever a super rich gumbo, because I know I can nail that any day.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

I guess I’m confused on how you rank someone’s cooking ability. Aside from the people like Jiro and This who devote their whole lives to a single pursuit, all cooking is following common knowledge and technique layed out by years of established practices.

If it were that easy more people would be better cooks and maybe we'd have someone decent to hire instead of the idiots and meth heads who infest the industry, cooking for customers who are amazed by anything better than what the instructions on the box/can gets them.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Hauki posted:

I think the fact that your restaurant and the industry in general is chiefly staffed by idiots and meth heads says more about the depressingly poor wages and hiring practices than anything else

To be honest, I can't argue with that, as far as our staffing is concerned. The idiocy of our customer base (the very rural midwest!) is another story.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Yo late to the pickle party, but I just got gifted a bigass jar of pickled pike and it is so goddamn delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Late to beet chat, but sometimes I grate them with a little potato, some flour, egg, and spices and make bigass latke-like thing stuffed with funky cheese and some kind of cured pork, always pan-fried, sometimes in bacon fat. Topped with a whipped cucumber, dill, and greek yogurt sauce with some nice lemon, it's good for me year-round. I'll do the same thing with carrots instead of beets too, depending on what I have a lot of and need to use.