Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Drink and Fight posted:

That's what pr0k's mom said.

Where is pr0k? Long time no pr0k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Really nice ring!

Also: I wouldn't expect there to be any arbitrage possibilities in the business of purchasing jewels from retailers???

Dear E/N,
I have been in a battle of escalations through the last 24 hours - holy poo poo office politics can be tiresome!

Then on the other hand, having the appology meeting today was as awkward as finding out that you prematurely ejaculated while grinding at a school dance... A pleasure mixed with a profound shame!

The right way to handle that isn't by asking on the way out the door "Was it as good for you as it was for me?" by the way...

Also - I have new employees, cultureshocking them like gently caress right now - they're fun, they have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on! My old guys are watching them bemusedly with an overbearing smile!
Wait, I thought you just laid off employees??

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Jacksonville. I've heard some mixed reviews of the city, but some of it looks pretty nice. Obviously, every city has good and bad bits, so as long as no-one shoots at us, it should be cool.

I live in Jacksonville. It has it's good and bad bits, but is a very liveable city. I would be happy to talk with you about areas of town to live, great spots to check out restaurant wise etc if you are interested. What kind of post doc?

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Chemmy posted:

Sorry in advance.

Have you lived in Jacksonville? It, like most places is what you make of it. Not amazing but not horrible unless you let it be. If you are looking for independent breweries, restaurants and bars they are here. It takes a little searching but they are thriving. It is not NYC bit the gems are there.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Nice one! I remember once when I was about sixteen, I accidentally temporarily blinded myself, and the incredible joy I felt when sight came back was amazing. It must be even better when you can taste things.

I'll be investigating the epigenetics of breast and liver cancer at the Mayo Clinic. It's a significant enough career move that I would live in downtown Basra to work in this particular lab.

So far, we're sort of limiting our property investigations to San Marco... It's within cycling distance of the lab, walking distance of downtown, and looks quite nice. And there's a nice sounding pub with a microbrewery nearby.

San Marco is a good choice Just across the river is Riverside, several great spots there-check out Restaurant Orsay, 13 Gypsies and Black Sheep. There is also Bistro Aix in San Marco. Which pub are you familiar with there? Both intuition and bold city breweries are good micro brewers. Kickbacks is a good pub as well.
Congrats on the post doc. I have several friends who work for Mayo and really enjoy working for the organization. Hope you enjoy your time in Jacksonville!

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 1, 2012

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Is SOS considered white trash? I don't identify as white trash, but I did grow up in a rural area, and we were barely lower middle class and everything came out of a box or was smothered in gravy and ohgod mom PREHEAT THAT PAN BEFORE YOU PUT THE BURGER IN IT :smith:

SOS is considered to be enlisted military or blue collar worker food in my experience. Some call that white trash, I just call it a working families belly filler. The elements for good food are all there, honestly it could be worked into a decent course in any restaurant given a few tweaks from marketing.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

Er... veggie stock? Not quite as tasty as chicken/beef stock, but still good.

It's not the taste that is lacking in veggie stock, it is the viscosity. Gelatin makes it silky.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Scientastic posted:

You can move in with me in Jacksonville at the start of February and look after my kid.

How good are you at science biology?

As a scientist and friend in Jacksonville let me know when you get in. My boys are a bit older than your little one (5 and almost 2) but I know a bit about San Marco and would be willing to steer you toward things you may enjoy.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Cool. I'm moving into an apartment in San Marco on the 30th of January. You don't seem to have PMs, but you can email me at ScientasticSA@gmail.com.

Done!

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

therattle posted:

GO TO SLEEP, YOU LITTLE FUCKER! It's 5:15, for god's sake

I am on my phone or I would link. Google go the gently caress to sleep Samuel L Jackson. So fitting...so true.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Just imprint a snowflake on the vegan pies and be done with it.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, I went to that fancier restaurant with my parents today! I thought it might not go well, because of on top of my neurosies over being in presentable society, my mom just had eye surgery yesterday and is slightly blind. But oh man. We had a great time. Everyone was nice, the server was great and helpful, and when they heard it was my birthday, they comped the deserts. Started with the duck prosciutto for a little charcuterie treat. Dad was suprised at how much he liked it. Dad then had the deconstructed lobster pot pie, which surprised him again but he loved it, mom had the great french onion soup, and I had the bouillabaisse. Served in a big ol' cast iron skillet, that was awesome. Perfectly cooked, except I usually like a little more spicy in my tomato dishes, and asked if they had anything to hot it up a bit. Bam, brought out a little dish each of sambal, sriracha, and a fresh chopped birds-eye chili. That made it perfect for me. In-House ice cream for dessert.

We have a new favorite on the list. Yay Orsay!

Orsay is really a great place. Glad you got to enjoy it. I was sad when you said you were going to Mitchell's instead. The happy hour at orsay is also really good...pretty inexpensive so it doesn't need to be strictly relegated to a special occasion spot.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Sextro posted:

Dino, I poke through your post history and seeing that reaffirms my current search for a job in Philly. It's a good place. For good folk.

Dino, your posts have broadened my horizons and by extension, my children's horizons when it comes to food. I would like to thank you for that, honestly! I have followed your posts here and cook some of your recipies for my family and they love it.

We were recently at Disney and my youngest said all of the kid food was "besgusting" but got down on some curried paneer with me. He hated all the fried bland crap and wanted the flavor! Thank you:)

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Oh I know that veggies cause more food poisoning then meat.

I was just surprised by the 100% contamination, and the indestructible one.

Re the "indestructible one" it is not a bacteria. Staph aureus produces a toxin not destroyed by cooking but if the food is held at proper temps it can't reproduce quickly enough to create enough toxin to make you sick. This is not a "super bug" situation. Proper food handling reduces the risk incredibly.

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 28, 2015

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Force de Fappe posted:

Where does a jelly begin? Somewhere after unctuous I'd wager.

I once was denied bringing a jar of delicious homemade blackcurrant jelly with my carryon aboard a flight because the security pimpleface was adamant that it constituted a liquid :colbert:

I had a jar of rendered duck fat confiscated at JFK. Becasue it was considered a liquid by TSA. No amount of turning the jar over with out any movement at all would convince them otherwise. I was boggled.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I would say that a jar of rendered fat is a significantly more bomblike texture than a jar of water. Plastic explosives are kind of similar looking.

Agreed. And I would have accepted that reasoning easily. It was the insistence that it was a liquid that blew my mind. At any rate...I was fairly gracious, though perplexed, and left it.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
My jelly fish experience was not offensive, but not something I am dying to repeat. It was strangely gelatinous and at the same time crunchy. No real reportable flavor...mostly neutral. Thinking about it more it reminded me of a few Japanese desserts with the cubes of neutral, highly set gelatin. Not terrible but not good either.

I'd eat it again if I thought the prep might be interesting.

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 20, 2016

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Nice! BTW, I am in need of left over truffles. Anyone?

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Going Full Fieri 1/10

I was just in the facility that made this product this week! The thing about this pizza is that it had a strong spicy component that is mentioned exactly nowhere on the packaging so it tasted very different from what people expected. Evidently it tasted strongly of chilie peppers and consumers were supposed to just figure that out??? Because, Guy?

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Sorry to hear about the junky situations Wiggles. Was wondering where you went. Hope the boy is doing well and that your thyroid issues are easily solvable.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Whirled peas killed everything good here😓

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Yes but chemicals

Oh, those dastardly CHEMICALS!! Reminds me of the time that the investigate reporter, the foodbabe, uncovered the fact that the air on airplanes was about 80% Nitrogen. Thank goodness she was there to alert us all to this incredible health concern perpetrated by the evil airline industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

MC - congrats
FGR - sort of congrats?

I feel bad sharing news after that stuff but I got married to my best friend a couple of weeks ago. It's good!

Not to be a dick, but man, you marry and divorce pretty quickly. Have you considered slowing down the relationship train?