Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What are other good recipe sites? I usually google “X recipe serious eats” as a starting point for food I’m interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Nooner posted:

what should i make for dinner tonight guys??

Guacamole.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

There was a high school fundraiser and I bought the smaller amount of strawberries I could and still ended up with 8 baskets.

I’ve used three baskets making cobbler and just eating them raw for snacks and in my corn flakes and poo poo. Each basket is about 2 cups worth all cut up.

What should I make?

Depending on the weather and preference, frozen strawberry lemonade margaritas. Made some this weekend that were v tasty.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

One of these days I’m going to make the Cubano from Chef because of his video. Or I may just stop at the pork and eat that because it looks incredible.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I like Babish’s kitchen set up

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I only use curated dried kindling, made from curated green stems that are collected from organic forest floors, stored in a dehydrator for 12 weeks, then lightly smoked to acclimatize the stems to their ultimate destination.

$145/lb.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I once sacrificed a large cutting board’s worth of diced onion to my knife because one of the diced onion bits was a chunk of my fingat

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My wife is cool with leftovers, but draws the line at making similar dishes too often. I learned that lesson when I tried to make various rice-bowl recipes three weeks in a row.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

FWIW, there’s an African swine flu scare in Asia and a lot of Asian suppliers slaughtered their herds to get in front of it, so supply is plentiful at prices are low at the moment.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

When pork is cheap, make carnitas.

When pork is expensive, make carnitas.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

BA’s merch prices are in the “won’t buy it myself, but happy to receive as a Christmas gift” tier.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The worst carrots are soft honey glazed baby carrots. The best carrots are unpeeled carrots, broiled or otherwise cooked until blackened in places.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That Works posted:

I cooked a ton extra for the BIL and SIL to take with them as they usually do only to find out that 3 days before my MIL had them over for a "traditional thanksgiving" because she was concerned we were going to make a bunch of different stuff or use too many seasonings etc. So, despite hosting thanksgiving for 3 times before this and never trying to work in a ton of different poo poo (we will always make one kind of non-traditional dish, out of like 5-7 regular ones) the MIL still has some massive trust issues or something.

Hold up, what the gently caress?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wow, I really killed this thread.

Did you guys know that there is a new apple?
Well, about 10 years old, but I just started seeing them at my local supermarket, and YUM. Juicy and crunchy, a great eating apple.

https://sweetango.com/

(try and ignore the gimmicky name. trust me, they are good.)

There was a goon in TFLC that went on and on about those a couple years ago. They are quite good.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is your boyfriend a cat

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A friend of mine has been eating sweet potato, sausage, and avocado bowls (+hot sauce) for lunch every day. He is very in shape, and his farts are immense.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m fairly new to sourdough, but my starter lives in the fridge and gets two feedings before I make dough. The second feeding is probably unnecessary - I fed it last night and it passed the float test this morning.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've never done it that way, but if it works, great?

The whole point that mediaphage is making is that this is a lot less of an exacting science then people make it out to be.

Sure? I’m just adding my two cents about a process I’ve enjoyed while making, essentially, edible experiments. I thought it lined up with mediaphage’s prior post:

mediaphage posted:

No, it doesn’t. Just the other day I pulled out a container of starter from the fridge that I haven’t touched since last year. Mixed up 100 grams of flour and 100 grams of water, added one heaping (to the extent that a proteolytic puddle can heap) tablespoon of starter to it, stirred, put a lid on it and left it on the counter. A day or two later, good, active starter.

You really don’t need to use or throw away nearly as much as people tend to think.

The thing about sourdough is that you don’t need very much if you’re willing to be patient.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’d take a normal pickle over a pickled jalapeño, but a fried jalapeño is superior to the fried pickle as a drinking snack.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sourdough fans! When flour exists again in your area, MAKE THIS WITH YOUR SOURDOUGH DISCARD.

https://melissaknorris.com/sourdough-chocolate-bread-from-scratch/

I'm not the greatest fan of the lady herself, but the recipe is absolutely solid and delicious. It's the best cake I have ever made.

You jerk, my starter was sleeping peacefully in the fridge and now I have to wake him up and get him fat for baking tomorrow.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

You'll thank me later.

Update: made the bread last night, would give it a solid B (A for flavor and C for execution). 40 minutes at 350 made a very dry and crumbly cake; next go round will get a bake check starting at 30 minutes, and I’ll add the brewed coffee option to the batter.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

therattle posted:

Coincidentally, my balls have browned crusty bits too.

You should really wipe front to back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Made buttery flakey pie crust for the first time. I made so much buttery flakey pie crust that the butter dripped out of the pan and smoked the bell out of my kitchen when the pie went in the oven :argh: