Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Hendricks.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Looks impressive, and the wine monopoly has it! Will give it a try.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

So true. Classic examples of this are oxtails, shanks, lobster, oysters, and pork belly.

Whale. Used to be the poorest man's meat for ages. Now it's highly priced and sought after.

Also delicious, which it might not have been in earlier years due to bad temperatures of the meat before bringing it onto shore.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Sjurygg posted:

...and how some are richer in primes than others and how prime numbers aren't magic or supernatural at all.

Now you're just being silly.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

So I'm planning a trip to tokyo in July. Any must-dine places? Gonna try to get a spot at Sukyabashi Jiro Ginza atleast.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

That's great Casu, I've been genuinely worried about your taste. To a larger extent than usual.

Oh, the ball was there, I had to shoot.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Find a Canadagoon, they're produced here under license.

It took me atleast half a minute to figure out that the twinkies were licensed.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I'm looking forward to the Goons in Platoons chickencheese MRE.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I brought a jar of marmite from the UK. What should I do with it?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yeah I'm mostly gonna use it for its umaminess, had some on toast right now. Spread thin, and it was quite salty. The lingering aftertaste is nice however.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I will be making a marmite soup next week!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Initially I wanted to make this a thread of its own, but it might have limited appeal and would fit better here. The question is:

What has cooking done for you?
I started getting interested in cooking real food in 2008. I'd just gotten out of a short relationship where all dinners were somewhat cooked from the ground up. Prior to that, I'd been living on instant rice, chicken and powdered bearnaise sauce. After that ordeal, I wondered what it took to make a real sauce, soup or stew from scratch. A few youtube videos later and I was hooked. I had to know what technique to chop an onion or a carrot, and after many iterations I also learnt the flavors.

4 years later I feel confident in cooking a piece of meat by touch, potatoes or some pasta. No longer am I following the cooking instructions, instead, I'm recognizing that it's done. I'm not shunning a meat ball cooked pink, and definately not a rare piece of tenderloin. I also feel that I can improvise to a larger extent, when I know how ingredients will react or complement eachother.

All of this is not just because of GWS, but it's been a great inspiration for me to get out of the food hell that was once my life, and for that I thank you GWS. Sorry, GWC!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

bartolimu posted:

The more common turn of phrase is probably pulling the plug, but cord gets the point across.

Pulling the plug insures that the connection inside the plug stable. I usually don't care and pull the cord on alot of cables I rig. This leads to cables that can no longer function. I feel it's a legit interpretation of the idiomatic phrase.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

What's the beef with Scandinavians in general is more like it. It's quite complicated.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

The thing about onions being poisonous is several hundred years old, since only poor people ate onions, as potatoes and finer veg were for the upper classes.

Also this:

quote:

Their stomachs cannot metabolize...onions.

Celiacs cannot metabolize breads!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Do you have insurance?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Had turkey on christmas eve for the first time at some friends of the family. Internal temperature of turkey when I arrived? 208 fahrenheit/98 centigrade.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's when you say "How'd you get the turkey so crispy on the inside?"

Luckily, the legs were removed before this atrocity and actually quite nice, brussel sprouts, potatoes, carrots and gravy were nice too. I filled up on desert, however.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Happy holidays Casu!

(I hope you're tasting again)

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

How is it wierd? Sensory deviations fascinate me, as they're kind of the gut punch of my long since finished bachelor's paper.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Ugh never again will I let my parents "help" in the kitchen. :negative:

Details! I had well done veal the other day :(

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

My dad redeemed himself with a great slow roasted pork rib. I used to live with a guy who meant frozen=fresh. Thanks for putting my steak in the freezer, dude.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing two years ago. Food sucked, asked everyone to chip in :10bux: and I started cooking everything instead.

Hosts were happy I guess? :v

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

:norway: does it best. We chug ammonium chloride by the gallons!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

BOW DOWN

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

DENMARK GET OUT, You're not even taking this seriously!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I know. Norwegian candy is marzipan and poo poo. I hate it.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Never. Also, I'm allergic to almonds. I was 18 or 19 when I realised that marzipan was ground almonds.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

http://ipad.dagbladet.no/2012/12/28/tema/mat/oppskrifter/mat_og_drikke/brimi-mat/24996066/

So this a norwegian article for making a burnt pepper tenderloin.

Burnt pepper.

Meat is done when it's 143 degrees.

This is a famous chef.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I hope so, but it clearly says burnt(brent) pepper. To me, burnt is burnt.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Welcome back!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Happy Hat posted:

That means that I messed up my sentence construction yet again, does it not?
evented me from getting it back.

I teach English to upper secondary students. There's nothing wierd about your syntax.

ACCENT HOWEVER!?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I'm making a beef bourgogne, got any coke?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Speaking of cocaine, my gf gave me a trip to Paris for christmas. Any restaurant tips?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Hey guys! I failed a job interview and I'm really happy. When I got there, I clearly stated that I didn't want the job and they were pushing for me anyways. Oh well! Autistic, undiagnosed killer-in-the-making, guess I won't know you!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Close, primary school!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Because I'm grossly over qualified and in desperate need of money.

Not in enough need of money, but still.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I never met the guy, he's seemingly alright, but he lacks empathy. He's the kind of kid who punches someone and never apologizes, 'cos they deserved it.

And yes, it's gallow's humor to a large extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

This is what I was wondering. If you didn't want the job, why did you go to the interview? In fact, why did you apply in the first place?

I wasn't told what the job was before the interview. I'm a teacher and applied for a teaching assistant position.