Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

therattle posted:

Not to mention high, wide and handsome.

A Charlie Poole reference cannot be allowed to pass without applause!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I *think* the Scoville scale is linear. I've eaten and quite liked nagas in the past, but it's all about the Trinidad Scorpion now. Meant to be tasty.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Heyoooo

Got the day off, smoking a 12 pound pork butt. Gonna drink beer and read a book and maybe bribe the neighbors with the promise of pork to use their pool later.

Today is a good day.

If that were me it would inevitably take 25 hours to hit 190 on the inside, even with a crutch. I have Bad Pork Luck, roughly half the time everyone is drunk/hungry enough to force me to serve the pork when it's good but not quite ready to pull. Sad times.

On mustard sauce- I like Meathead Goldwyn's recipe.

Ingredients
2 cups yellow hot dog mustard
2/3 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules or 1 cube (I use an ice cube of reduced stock)
2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

It's pretty good, I have a jar in the cupboard.

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 3, 2012

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

I want Shine to shout at that guy. Seriously, what the gently caress.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

dino, is there an e-book version of your book? I prefer not to get stuff freighted trans-Atlantically if I can help it!

Tanqueray with Fever Tree from a fresh bottle and plenty of ice and lime peel is where it's at. There are no substitutes. Death's Door is good too though.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

An observer posted:

The amazon link above has the kindle version too.

I am blind! Ta.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Good martinis are only to be found in high-end places or people's houses in the UK. Even a lot of places with decent cocktail menus make shite martinis.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

paraquat posted:

In my experience, it's extremely difficult to get the right nationwide numbers (or even close estimates) on non-notifiable illnesses or accidents.

So I'm surprised that there's someone willing to make up a number...not just about the number of people cutting themselves, but also a number that suggests that all the docs apparently registrate what their patients were doing when they cut themselves.

Spain has Satanic communazi free healthcare, so people are much more likely to get minor wounds treated at a hospital. Records are pretty tight in all decent Euro-healthcare systems because of the amount of public money involved but I don't really believe "herida de catástrofe de jamón" has appeared on very many forms...

eta: 'Ham Disaster Wound" sounds like a Guided by Voices song

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 24, 2012

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

I feel like coded transmissions are being sent by double agents here...

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

A chip sandwich is only impossible to eat if you do it wrong. Get two slices of bread, line chips along half of each slice, add ketchup and fold. Your chips are going nowhere. Food of (anaemic, sweaty) champions.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

NLP is loving dreadful, the hold it has over some companies is testimony to the fact that the private sector is not inherently efficient.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

YLLS has more or less rejected low-carb (there is no longer permitted to be a thread for it) and is less doctrinal than it was. 'Eat like an adult' is the most common refrain there now.

But yes, as a community they do not need help with macronutrient splits any more than GWS needs help boiling eggs.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Nerdy, not to cross the streams forum-wise but you brought your family up yourself, so... I hope you're not getting sucked back to them?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah, depends on the people. I know a lot of Muslims don't have a problem with non-Muslims drinking alcohol around them- it's not a moralistic prohibition like it is for Mormons. Still wouldn't bring booze with me to a wedding, though.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

I think that's interesting about the coffee, Wiggles. I find that coffee-shop coffee in UK cities is generally better than the US (took me a couple of days to find something good in Manhattan, in the days before iPhones) but it's certainly true that restaurant coffee here is often stunningly poor. It's silly, really, given the margins on it. I've also never had Illy coffee that didn't suck!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Fo3 posted:

There's British lager?

Yes, but pretend there isn't, you'll be happier.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

I've never worked in the South of Ireland, but in the North we use measures to demonstrate that the customer is getting at least a standard 35ml measure of their spirit. Cocktails get as much as the drink needs/the management will let you use, and you'll get more than a standard measure if you a) are nice or b) tip.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

therattle posted:

I would day that today infidel is most commonly associated with Islamic extremists using it to describe non-Muslims, eg Americans on military bases in Saudi Arabia would be described as infidels. I don't know how it is used by extreme Christians in the US.

Anti-Islam people tend to use it as a term for themselves these days.

Also Mindphlux, that chart is a little out of date. In the UK you pay no tax on the first £9,440, then 20% from there to £35,000, then 40% from there to £150,000, then notionally 50% after that but people in that tax band tend to be contractors for their own companies which do not exist in any country apart from a PO box in the Virgin Islands.

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 29, 2013

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

There is a Heston chili recipe that involves carrots. And almost no chiles.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

No Wave posted:

Did he light a fire underneath them or something? You're probably right.

Indirect heat, 225 F, 5-6 hours.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Personally I don't cook for people I don't like, but hey.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Today I would like to ask GWS to thank their gallbladders for their sterling service.

I haven't been able to eat any more than traces of fat in months and while I've lost 20 pounds that I wanted to lose, it's really loving tedious.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

He did send the same tracking number to different people, so very difficult to see how he hasn't just stolen the cash.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

contrapants posted:

Seriously, it's not like chickpeas and olive oil had that much fat in the first place.

One of those things is almost entirely fat!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

C-Euro posted:

GBS X E/N: My fiancee is currently giving me the silent treatment because I told her not to eat dessert before dinner. Is there a scientific reason why your parents always told you to eat dinner first (other than "be more full so you eat less dessert") or am I just a grumpy grandpa?

Silent treatment is childish, manipulative and insane- sever

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Echeveria posted:

We're in the New Market area, I think? We had a nice lunch today at a pasta place, but it's possible I was just starving. There's a few restaurants and bars we passed today that we'll check out. The staircase in our apartment is intensely steep. It's a drunk deterrent.

Missed it earlier but the Ethicurean in Bristol is meant to be very good.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

I really want some goose now but it's not in season :mad:

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Gordon's and Tanqueray are the same company, but are you sure they're the same spirit? This is the only place I've ever seen or heard that.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

[Trigger Warning: memories of the loving sound that thing makes]

Don't gently caress it, you'll hurt yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Baking books with measurements other than g, ml, teaspoons, and eggs of x size make me unhappy. Why make it more difficult?