Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
Lutefisk. With cream sauce.
I know there are whole cults devoted to the stuff but to me it tastes almost completely, but not entirely, unlike fish.

I was supposed to get a taste of Surstromming, but I have been led to believe that due to norming of federal regulations with EU laws DHS now considers it a hazardous material and requires a special license to import.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Sjurygg posted:

Peaches. The fuzz is horrible. It is bad to me.

There is this trick. Dip the peaches in boiling water for a count of 5, and then the skin peels right off. I only ate the skin when I was sneaking them from the orchard.

It reminds me of the Germans complaing that the tamales were tasty but the wrapper was too stringy and tough. When someone told them the secret (don't eat the corn husks), they went and unwrapped the burritos too.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Mussels taste like low tide.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
The Aussies have this stuff called Musk Candy. It is surgical appliance pink and tastes like Gramma's Avon drawer. Ack. ACK.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
I made a bunch of marmalade and everyone told me to cut the peel finer.
What is your secret? Mine is to ignore the complaints.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
To fine the cut peeler?
To cut the fine peeler
To peel the fine cut?
Peel to the cut fine?
Cut the fine to peel?

The glory of disaster is that it also destroys our failures; we can start anew.
Except with marmalade. There we have to give it away to relatives we never really liked since gradeschool.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

But hey, if your take on veganism precludes honey... then don't eat it! Whatever works for you, man. People should be able to eat what ever they hell they want without having to justify it to anyone else.

You must deal with different vegans than I do. I deal with the ones that aren't just in it for a personal choice, they act like they have the moral superiority to dictate my choice too.

'cause youknow, I'm too stupid to choose my own food, feed myself and take care of any medical needs. If they were Baptists they'd be the ones that'd make blue laws and watch to see who doesn't go tot church on Wednesday.

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 17, 2012

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Happy Hat posted:

Ahh.. but see - every time I buy a hardcopy I have to pay freight from the states, then I have to pay 25% added import tax, because of no free-trade agreement with the states. Alternatively I have to buy it in Denmark, where the price for a book is at standard around USD 30-40, alternatively I can buy them in UK, but still at a higher price, and not get as much diversity..

So the kindle is good to me..

But then again - I've been reading poo poo, so perhaps I'm the one losing out.

We may have to mail you random paperbacks then. Hope you like Doc Savage?

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Yeah, there are also the first in-print description of night vision (from the 30's, using the spinning disk with slots to make raster Nipkow version of mechanical television) and the first "we stole the 3rd nuke and are blackmailing the world" plot.
It is literally steam-punk from the other side.

Now, the writing is poor, the characters are one-dimensional, the ploting is hackneyed, and the action is stylized as an epic poem, but Robeson wrote the entire series for his magazine AND it was a magazine that survived the rationing of paper during the war.

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 18, 2012

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Trust me. If you drink all the whiskey in Brooklyn you will be Whitney Houston. Stop at a fifth, your liver will thank you.

I have a lot to say about drunks and the people that enable them, but....time and place.

Hey, you know, yesterday I would not have known what a bechamel sauce was if I drizzled it down my leg and it left permanant scars. I feel that's $10 well spent.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Oooh, Voodoo!

There's one about 5 blocks away from where I work. (well, across I-84, but...)

I may take a picture and show you what you look like!

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
There was someone once who said that cheating the excise was not a crime against people, but a violation of customs; mere bad manners in other words.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
If we are looking for opinion, I like my cast iron without the enamel, but I like the better non-stick surface you get from a good seasoning.

I would hazard, however, that if you asked about the frictionless adamanitine pans that had liquid sodium cores for perfect heat transfer and N-dimensional heat capacitance that stored heat from next week, designed by Faberge and forged in the fires of Mordor, half a dozen voices would be raised saying, "We tried that one and it's crap"

I can't tell you how much I love you goons.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
You know, though, if you go to the thrift shop and see an emameled one for $15.00 you might pick it up just to try it to see if it meets your needs.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
However, the enameled stuff is easier to color coordinate with your designer kitchen decor.

Black goes with everything but not as well as a chunk of cast iron tarted up like Fiesta ware.

Speaking of which, I keep running across Fiesta ware. The colors aside, are the sets at all usefull for real life use? My dish set is literally what is left over at the end of the garage sale and it may be time to get stuff that matches.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Happy Hat posted:

So you just pussy out of the enamel discussion..

I think enameled cast iron is best for bathtubs and those sink/counter combos from the 50's.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
My house was built with the "Home and Gardens Dream Kitchen of 1963" with the blond wood, trim and glittery formica. The only modification that was done was when they removed the "bronze" stove and refrigerator, and left the original stove hood.
Now, it was built with a recycled 1950's enameled cast-iron double sink with double draining board. Classic lines like a greek temple or a Bel-Aire with fins. The next person who suggests I replace it with a stainless will die horribly, I vow this.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

dino. posted:

I would love to see pictures of this. It sounds perfectly lovely.

Your wish is my command...well, considered opinion at least.

This is what the sink looked like when I bought it. It needed a lot of TLC.

I would take a picture for "after" but it is full of dishes right now. Maybe tomorrow.
See the back yard? I'm thinking of putting a dead washing machine out there!

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
I had one friend who thought I should build a Shinto arch, another who wanted me to build a Stargate, and a third who thought a trilithon or a group of standing stones would be most appropriate.

I I'm looking at a greenhouse and an outdoors canning kitchen.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Well, you couldn't call it Garum, that name's taken.

Oinkum? Squealum? Suum?

I suspect it would smell more like a mass burial than a condiment, though.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I've never attempted. My kitchen space is like a U-boat so every bit of space is occupied and for specific uses. Although I do have a nice gel ergonomic work mat by my prep station.

If it is like a U-boat then you should be screaming "feuertorpedos!", right?

Unless it is inflected and I got it wrong again. Damned German language.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Why are the Chinese so good at making tasty things?

I used to go to the asian markets and buy stuff out of the candy/cookie/snack aisle on the theory that something there had to be tasty.

Been wrong so far. There is some technique to mix sugar, salt, flour, frosting and dried fruit to have no flavor, and it is one of the forgotten arts of the East.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
When I traveled on business (my, that sounds grand) I got tired of best westerns and holiday inns (and motel 6s, eeugh) and I decided to try some B&Bs. Now, most places won't have a breakfast for you when you roll out at 4.30 am, but they tend to be clean, and I figure they try harder since they live on reputation and not on advertising.

We used GS (US government service reimbursement rates) hotel pricing for re-imbursement for the city so if you wanted to sleep in your car and eat cheetos you could turn in your chit and get full re-imbursement and per-diem, which to my thinking was pretty hard slog for the money, but the pricing, at least the average ones, was about what the hotels charged.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

ovanova posted:

Hey, I've had some very very good tacos on the outskirts of Boston, better than anything I could find in New Jersey.

It is, however, all cooked by Salvadorians, so very single loving hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant around Boston serves pupusas. Not complaining, but still.

Fun fact, there are actually very very few Mexicans around Boston in my experience. There are Columbians, Brazilians, Salvadorians, but few Mexicans.

So order ajiaco and empanadas: there is a saying in that, when life gives you Colombians, order empanadas!

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
There is also the subtle distinction of, "made from blueberries" and "made with blueberries" in that the second can mean one blueberry per ton of potatoes. And of course, "blueberry flavored" and "blueberry taste (with natural and artificial flavorings)" which can mean that no blueberries have come within a mile of the lab where the "natural" blueberry flavors are synthasized.
It is essential to read the label and exercise common sense.

There is a feeling that it is not actually fraud if no-one prosecutes...which means someone in a position to do something has to care.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

i shoot friendlies posted:

I am a native New Englander (the lobster capital of the US). All my life I have been told ow wonderful it is. Only, I have always seen it as the emperors new clothes. It is lacking in flavor, very expensive, and temperamental. I think it is preferred because it is the most expensive, and the most expensive things have to be the best, like filet Mignon. Really though, it is just a butter spoon.

The real treasure in king crab. That has a the wonderful flavor that lobster is alleged to have. I will take crab any day over lobster. I will take most any seafood over lobster.

Dungeness crab is the best. Pull the pots, crack open the crabs, rinse out the gills and guts and boil. Eat with butter and get greasy to the ears. Better than lobster, the only thing it is not good at is crab cakes since it has too much flavor and texture and overpowers the spicing and the breading.

In fact, the only seafood that is as good as dungeness crab are smelts, and there hasn't been a good smelt season in 10+ years. If you eat enough smelt you will find out if you are pre-dispositioned to get gout.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Charmmi posted:

Directions:

4. simmer another 10 minutes

Depending on the strength and heat of the curry you may want to try just one block to start with. Some of the curries will tan your shoes from the inside while you are wearing them.

Then again, go for it. What could possibly go wrong?

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
If anyone says, "OK, rolled in panko" I may not come back until next month.

Just sayin'

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
I have tried to get my beloved to try spring lamb, chops, collops, and all to no avail. She says that she tried the mutton in the commissary and she doesn't care to try it again.
How do you explain that lamb cooked by a chef who is an artisan and likes his job is better than mutton cooked in an industrial facility in the UK?

I just give up an buy her pizza.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
113. To roast a WOODCOCK.

When you have dress'd your woodcock, and drawn it under the leg, take out the bitter bit, put in the trales again; whilst the woodcock is roasting set under it an earthen dish with either water in or small gravy, let the woodcock drop into it, take the gravy and put to it a little butter, and thicken it with flour; your woodcock will take about ten minutes roasting if you have a brisk fire; when you dish it up lay round it wheat bread toasts, and pour the sauce over the toasts, and serve it up.

You may roast a partridge the same way, only add crumb sauce in a bason.

ENGLISH HOUSEWIFRY
EXEMPLIFIED
Elizabeth Moxon

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10072/pg10072.html

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
The lady I used to do yard work for told me she learned to cook in a wood fired oven, and there were some tricks: one is making cookies before you bake a cake to make sure the oven was up to temperature, and putting a sheet of paper in the oven to see if it would brown to check the temperature before putting in bread.

But yes, a lot of cooking was boiling and using bean pots, and roasting was done with a lot of basting to keep and eye on the meat and to try to keep it from drying

There are some recipes that call for you to sing a certain hymn three times through while boiling an egg, kind of like singing "twinkle-twinkle little star" while washing your hands.

The gill (jill) in the US is defined as half a cup, or four U.S. fluid ounces, which in Great Britain the gill is five British fluid ounces.

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 1, 2012

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
cascara bark. Wait 6 to 12 hours after first dose.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Drink and Fight posted:

Explain that it's like the difference between eating a Hot Pocket and eating a wood-oven pizza.

And don't buy her a loving pizza. She's not five. (I hope.)

If I don't buy her a pizza there may be no loving.

(Sorry, had to think about that one for a while.)

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

mindphlux posted:

IM GOING TO loving SLAM MY DICK THROUGH A BAGEL AAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGHUYFNGGN

Well, remember, when you gently caress a bagel, take care lest you become the bagel.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
No, you are doing it wrong. What you need to say is, "stop searching for pay without work. It is nothing but theft. Put your ingenuity into finding a way you can help someone, and sell your services to him.

Yeah, I worked 6 years in various canneries, eventually I couldn't stand it any more and decided to get a real job. Then I bounced around and wound up in a better paying job that was essentially the cannery with fewer slimy rotten beans and higher union dues. Working dead-end jobs with no hope of advancement in injurious conditions used to be a sort of goal for me. Then I started trying for better jobs, eh? Most employers just want someone who can show up on time. The rest want skills. In any case they want proof or assurances that you can supply their needs, and bootstrapping is one way to do it.

I like Friedman's approach to taxation. Other than that he is the neo-con of libertarians.

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 3, 2012

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Surrender is always an option, submission as well. Refusing to act because you could be wrong is as damaging as doing something to spite someone who differs with your opinion.
You should watch out for that strain of intolerance, though.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
So what is the solution? Shoot the bankers? Put farmworkers in boardrooms? Will they be as happy as you think they will be? Will they make the banks run on time? Maybe we should shoot the bankers and put you in the boardroom, wouldn't you be better running a bank than an illegal working in a peach orchard?
Is the skillset the same for a farm laborer and a banker? Is mine the same as yours? Could I do your job without proper training? Can you pick peaches at piece rate and earn above minimum wage? If you can't should you be retained by the farmer or let go in favor of the guy who can?
Does social justice mean equal rules for all or special rules for a selected few?

Did you ever hear Che's last joke? He was nabbed by the Bolivian army and tied up in a shack while they got final permission to shoot him or give him to the Americans. While this was going on, he was asked about his role in the Cuban revolution, and Che made some comment about Cuba's poverty. When asked how Che became involved in Cuba's national economy, he said that Fidel had come in to a meeting one day and asked who was a good economist, and he thought Fidel said good communist and raised his hand.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

SubG posted:

Not being a prick about other people's problems seems like a start.

Well, I was tempted to edit that down to 4 words but that would be childish and dishonest.

therattle posted:

Hey, you can grow up poor and black in the ghetto and go to a lovely public school and have no health coverage, but you've got [i]choice and freedom[i/]! Look how many things there are that you can own or do! (In theory at least, if not in practise). Choice and freedom without the means to take advantage of them are worthless.
Tell Clarence Thomas that, he would say you are 100% correct and mean it without sarcasm. (look up his early life if you dare, it's the sort of thing we agree should be ended, we just disagree on how to achieve it)

As for why Mother Jones has a hard-on for Amazon? Because it is non-union. The safety conditions at canneries are worse, and the processing centers for the Post Office are more stressful, but they are firmly Teamster, so there "is a path available for correction".

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Kenning posted:

gently caress it let's do circumcision chat.

I'm glad my parents didn't mutilate my dick when I was born, how does it feel you loving frankencocks.

:smug:

Most men my age have those scars. I think its something to do with cleanliness or differentiating them from savages with bones in their noses and facial scars.

So, how're your tats?

:volley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Most men my age. It was something you did as a desired procedure for newborns. There are fashions in this sort of thing, some cultures singed the temples with wisps of burning raw wool to avoid convulsions, some had the infants breathe the fumes of boiling lead to avoid colic, my generation was circumsized for cleanliness - remember that the doctors that set policy and procedures were either WW I or WWII vets or taught by them and they had a serious issue with cleanliness in harsh conditions. If there had been a procedure for avoiding trench-foot they would have done that too.