Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

I make bacon on the stovetop with no shirt on.

No fear.

If you need to put on pants to cook bacon, you've got the heat up too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Turpentine is a flavor. :colbert:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

So what's punk? Beets?

Romanesco broccoli.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I like to spatchcock the turkey, and put the stuffing underneath it to catch drippings. That way you can still cook the stuffing separately for safety. Also, I will take any excuse to say spatchcock.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Drinking straight from the bottle while you wait for your frozen casserole to heat up in the oven still counts as cooking with wine. Enjoy parenthood!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You're not going to get any penetration into the meat itself, but good strong flavors and aromatics will still flavor the surface. If the surface of your chicken meat smells like lemon and herbs, it's going to taste like lemon and herbs despite the flavors not having any real penetration.

Stashing herbs under the skin is a handy place to keep them from burning.

You are totally right about butter being useless, which makes me sad. I love butter. But it doesn't do anything a light rubbing of oil and some proper salting doesn't do better.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's easy to make fun of stuff like the rollie or hot dog weasel or whatever, and the commercials don't do them any favors, but they can actually do a lot for people with accessibility issues. People who physically can't use a stove can still fix themselves some eggs to eat or whatever under their own power.

Point being, Alton's kind of a dick.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

bartlebee posted:

Followup dumb question: what's the best way to post food pictures on this forum? I want to start sharing some dinner stuff I've been doing so I created an imgur account, but I always see people posting pictures and everyone else yelling about breaking tables.

If you have a giant picture on imgur, then just add l to the filename when you embed it here. Like 12345.jpg would become 12345l.jpg, and that'll resize it down to 640px.

Or timg it, or whatever.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The trick to microwaved potatoes is to only cook them halfway in the microwave, then finish them off in the oven like a regular baked potato except in way less time.

I guess you could do this with corn, but it's not worth the effort. It's corn. You can't gently caress up corn. Eat it raw, overcook it, whatever, it's good. (please don't prove me wrong by loving up corn.)

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Happy Hat posted:

Rectally administered horse radish seems like somewhat hardcore though... But why the fish?

It's a palate cleanser, oddly enough.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I was surprised to discover a pupuseria in Eugene, and I eat there about once a week now.

!!! Where is this place, I must know.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
IME, a cast iron griddle works best. Plenty of space to get in there with your smasher and your spatula. You just have to be sure, like almost any cast iron application, to preheat the griddle completely to reduce the hotspots problem.

If you want to up your smashburger game, make an Oklahoma onion burger. Finely shred a shitton of onion (like a whole small onion per burger), and dump that right on the patty as soon as you smash it. When the patty's seared on one side, flip the whole mess over so you've got the meat just hanging out on a pile of onions, cook the onions down until tender, done.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If you have the opportunity, break into a diner and use their flattop grill. Otherwise, just use whatever pan you have. Love the pan you're with.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm gonna make a mint selling paleo air. It's like regular air, but also has dinosaur farts.

don't @ me about what creatures walked the earth with cavemen just go with it

You can totally do this without lying since chickens are dinosaurs.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I've already forgotten how to make a dish by the time I'm eating it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Sextro posted:

You ruined it.

Now. What's the best meatball.

They're goofy and dumb, but god I love scotch eggs.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It helps a little to let the meat come up all the way to room temperature, just so the fat is softer when you go to smash it. Use whatever gives you the best leverage and really mash it down.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm making chicken with 40 cloves today, except I boosted that to 80 cloves because you can't really have enough roasted garlic.

Protip: If you omit the chicken, that leaves more room in the pan to add more cloves of garlic

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Also, it's probably not a good idea to do the jarred garlic thing if it's going to sit in the fridge for a really long time. It's that whole 'botulism thriving in anaerobic environments' thing. It's super unlikely in general, but it's easy to stick an open jar in the fridge for a couple months and forget to use it, and that's just an unnecessary risk.

The correct way to store garlic packed in oil for an extended period is to make a shitton of garlic toast and eat it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

The nth-degree pedantry is that one cannot measure mass without an inertial balance, thus anything one measures at home (spring scale, electric scale, hell tbb) is likely to be weight, which is then converted to mass via the assumption of standard gravity.

:goonsaybutbigger:

Actually ACTUALLY, inertial balance is only required in free fall. A simple balance beam scale measures mass directly, not weight. And just lol if you're not getting out the brass counterweights for your kitchen precision.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Croatoan posted:

Guys! I found the holy grail! Your woes are over! They apparently have canned pealed potatoes! No more suffering over peeling potatoes anymore.

I can’t believe they have canned peeled potatoes that’s so effing stupid

When I was a kid, my mom's beef stew was almost entirely canned ingredients. Canned veg-all, canned broth, canned consomme, canned potatoes. To her credit, at least the beef was fresh.

I still have a little bit of nostalgia for the weird smooth texture and overseasoned flavor of canned potatoes.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I saw this and was curious about how best to achieve it. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIsIE0oHGgo

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
In my experience, the biggest factor in the success or failure of stick-blender emulsions is holding the gently caress still when you first start blending. Keep the blender firmly on the bottom of the container, and do not move or lift or stir or in any way faff about until the emulsion has properly started, and then VERY slowly move to incorporate more oil. If you let things get mixed before the emulsion starts to form, it's just not going to come together easily.

The container just needs to be something you can stick the blender in. I actually use some empty marshmallow fluff jars that the previous tenant of my apartment left behind. They are not a close fit at all, but it still works.

A dab of mustard does help a bit. It's basically already an emulsion, so it's like jumpstarting the process.

In the case of toum, you could probably cheat by adding a little bit of aquafaba with the garlic.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

iospace posted:

Clickhole is part of The Onion Network.

The Takeout is from the nominally serious side of the family, though.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I still have a fondness for just the plain old Gardenburger. It helps that it doesn't try to replace the taste or texture of meat at all. I've never actually tried the vegan version, though.

Maybe it's just nostalgia for when I was broke as hell and working at subway and trying to maximize my nutrition on the company dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The most important thing about potato salad is that potatoes are black holes where flavor goes to die. You need to season and flavor at every step in the process. Cook the potatoes in salted water, preferably with a glug of some kind of vinegar. When they're cooling and trying, touch up the seasoning, maybe add some more acid. Go light on whatever you're using for sauce, and if you're serving the stuff room temperature or cooler, bump the seasoning up another notch.

The most important thing about pasta salad is to throw it in the trash