Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

CuddleChunks posted:

Well how else are you supposed to get matching spices, smart guy? All the ones at the store look different!

<:mad:>

Does anyone have a salsa chicken recipe that isn't quite so spicy?

If you want the tang without the heat, consider soaking diced serrano or jalapenos in olive oil for a few hours before cooking. The oil will draw out a bit of the capsaicin, weakening the heat without making the salsa totally bland. Make sure you rinse the peppers off thoroughly in water before mixing into your salsa if you're trying to reduce the amount of heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

An observer posted:

Haven't heard this, definitely going to try it. Been meaning to try sichuan dishes for a long time :science:

I'm actually ok with a small amount in a dish, small enough that it doesn't overpower the taste of food (a couple red pepper flakes in pasta alla arrabiata, etc). It's just that most restaurants/people really heap that poo poo on.

The amount of red pepper flakes you put on pasta is simply to add a bit of spice to the flavor. Szechuan dishes like to make the spice the dominating flavor. One of my favorite dishes is called Chongqing fried chicken, designed to be as ridiculously spicy (while still flavorful) as possible. Yes, those are all hot peppers with seeds. No, you just eat the chicken.

If you're going to try Szechuan food, I recommend a trial by fire. If you like it, you'll come back for more. If you don't like it, why bother developing your tolerance for heat?

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Wroughtirony posted:

I could give two shits about what people like or do not like in their food. But I hate the idea of my food ever making someone sick or god forbid endangering their life, so when customers tell me they're "OMG SO ALLERGIC TO TOMATOES I WILL DIE!" I am going to go out of my way to get all clean utensils and pots and pans and prepare their meal far away from anything that ever could have touched a tomato ever. It will take me a long time and make everyone's food late, but I don't mind doing it if it means you can enjoy your meal without worry.

But if what you really mean is "I hate raw tomatoes, could you leave them off my salad?" and you think that I won't take you seriously or I'll spit in your food or secretly put tomatoes in it if you don't tell me it's a life threatening allergy, then I hope you develop a deathly allergy to everything except tomatoes and Olestra.

If I recall correctly, Mario Batali left Iron Chef America because they started pulling celebrity judges instead of the standard food industry critics and didn't want to deal with serving people who "didn't like raw fish."

While we're wishing deathly allergies on people, can we please add vegemite to the whitelist? I kinda like tomatoes.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Back to bitters chat, I go through a 10oz bottle in about a month and a half. But I put like a tablespoon or more in every old fashioned or sazerac that I make.

What bitters would you recommend? I've got a bottle of Angostura lying around somewhere...

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express
Do you remember what the bottle looked like?

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

mindphlux posted:

what is a crantini

An abomination. The bastard inbred half-sibling of appletinis, chocotinis and kitchensinktinis.

A martini is gin (an argument can be made for vodka), a SMALL amount of vermouth and possibly a lemon twist or a few olives. Dirty martinis with olive brine potentially acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I need a name for my soccer team this year. Last year I went with Riot Squad because we got Galaxy colors, but this year I'm stuck with blue/black. Nothing Earthquakes or Chelsea related please. Appropriate name for a team of 10 year olds, please. I was thinking Boca Jrs. Jrs. but I'm afraid some of the Mexican kids on my team might not take kindly to an Argentinian name.

Maybe Internazionale Yerington (our town name?)

Black and blue? Something involving bruises? The Chris Browns? The Backstreet boys?(they might be too young to realize that's a boy band!)