Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

bartolimu posted:

This really loving sucks. Johnathan Gold, one of the world's great restaurant critics, is dead at 57.

Gold's quote about Vegas icon Lotus of Siam, "Best Thai restaurant in North America," is the one I use whenever I introduce anyone to it. He had an incredibly positive impact on LA's food culture. He was a hell of a guy - who I never got go meet personally, though I have several friends who were strongly influenced by him.

gently caress cancer. Goddamn.

the city won't be the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if people haven't watched "city of gold" i highly recommend it. more than a love letter to food and food writing, it's a love letter to the city of la

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

iospace posted:

Does anyone know any good yakisoba recipes? Going to store buy the noodles.

i like this one: https://www.justonecookbook.com/yakisoba/

as noted in the recipe yakisoba is pretty straight forward in terms of ingredients, proper wok technique is probably the more important part

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

therattle posted:

I’m still not sure about foie gras. Eat meat, sure, but do try and minimise the cruelty. I totally agree with Bart about eating as much of the animal as possible (at least in theory...). I am not vegetarian but I do think it’s a more ethical path.

keep in mind that the anatomy of water fall is a bit different than that of a human. they don't have our strong gag reflex and their livers are designed to become fatty in order to support them during their migratory flights

all the hellish factory farming stuff and basic moral dilemma of killing something for food still apply

https://scienceandfooducla.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/physiology-of-foie-gras/ (i haven't followed up on the cited papers and other sources, so if you're skeptical you might want to keep digging)

edit: i know i guy from czechoslovakia who insisted the way everyone did it back when he was a child was just to prepare the right feed and the geese would gorge themselves, who knows how close that was to real foie gras though. i've read one anecdotal account of a hunter who killed some ducks which had been going to town on a large supply of corn and then prepared their livers. He found it to be richer than normal, but not to the levels you get from force feeding

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 26, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, yeah, and bombs. They're still doing bombs against research labs (and car bombs targeting researchers), there's just a general policy of not reporting on them because it's what the groups want. People aren't usually killed, but that's mostly because security's gotten so tight. The infamous example is threats against airlines that transport monkeys for research- this has crippled a whole bunch of programs, because only Air France will still move primates internationally.

if i recall correctly the people doing this kind of stuff have a real knack for accidently targeting the wrong address

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Croatoan posted:

I’m watching Jamie Oliver on Jamie’s 15 minute meals from the UK. The British are super bad at making Mexican food. He’s making chili con carne and the recipe is atrocious. He just described corn tortillas as “basically corn on the cob that’s been milled and dried flat”. While I suppose that is technically true it’s just a really weird way to describe corn tortillas. Like, are they really that an unusual ingredient that you guys have to describe them to each other? Also the base of his chili is chickpeas and bell peppers. The amount of cumin he used was just a pinch. Salt and pepper are literally the major seasonings he’s using.
He just finished it with brown rice. There was all of 1/2 red chili in this chili. WTF you people should be ashamed of yourselves. British Empire my rear end.

i know jeremy clarkson's whole deal is being terrible for money so i try to ignore what he says, but i once read a quote of his utterly trashing mexican food as inedible and i legit got so mad that a dude who proudly represents one of the stodgiest culinary traditions on earth would dare disparage a global culinary powerhouse because they were brown and thus inferior in all ways

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

iospace posted:

Apparently Guy Fieri been feeding fire evacuees.

haven't they suffered enough?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

poverty goat posted:

What does GWS buy at the grocery store to prepare for a week+ of free time without power or groceries after a hurricane?

cured meats and firm cheeses, ingredients for making travel cake, and a couple of bottles of good wine

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
ingredients for pemmican if think things will end up going mad max

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
dicendo vox scans his spreadsheet of egg suppliers with intense concentration

he won't lose another poster on his watch, not ever again

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you could always make sauerbraten and thicken the juices with gingersnaps. kind of old fashioned, but still tasty

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I went to the eataly in la before the batali stuff came out and it was real nice, but i haven't been back since. it's such a shame, sometimes you want to waste some money on googaws the local italian grocery doesn't carry

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Scientastic posted:

How dare guests expect to be catered to? What the gently caress do they think this is, some sort of family event where everyone wants to be nice to each other?

Edit:

No, but people are allowed to say that they don’t want certain things. Not having smoked salmon is really not that unreasonable. My mother-in-law doesn’t like offal, yet we somehow muddle through Christmas dinner without force-feeding her pâté.

i'm sure in the spirit of family they thoughtfully offered to bring a nice dish that matched their unique dietary need to take some of the workload off of their host

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the soup and sandwich look good and tasty, but if you're going to do the weird ostentatious hook thing why serve the soup in such a drab paper bowl?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Coasterphreak posted:

got The Food Lab for my birthday yesterday.

a good cookbook.

i keep my copy by my bedside

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not to attack the op, but how many of you cook every night? i'm coasting on left overs for at least 3 week nights each week or i'd go insane, even with quick recipes and limited grocery lists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/themorganberry/status/1232231252540837889?s=21

Rest In Peace, Curry House (1983 - 2020)

Cause of death: investment firm

ah what the gently caress? another piece of my childhood gone