Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Dino, I poke through your post history and seeing that reaffirms my current search for a job in Philly. It's a good place. For good folk.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Pretty sure the majority of businesses in the craft brew/distillation industry function off the backs of passionate and stupid young people. That is certainly the way the specialty coffee industry functions, and I would imagine in restaurants too.

E: let me tell you about coffee shop management/ownership as a fad for early-retired wealthy folk.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 4, 2015

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I don't need to drink at work. I just want people to not think I am some sort of villain for having 1 Beer at lunch before going back to work.

E: not a surgeon or machine operator.

E2: am I paranoid or has serious eats mobile page become non functional on iOS because every page forces the App Store to open.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 5, 2015

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Move somewhere moist and warm with lots of natural yeasts available in the air. Nothing beats starting your own sourdough sponge with just flour and water. :coal:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

dino. posted:

Naengmyeon

Seconding this or other cold noodle dish.

https://instagram.com/p/32EN4DJXMK/

Yes.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 18, 2015

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone know of a reputable place to order the odd spice you can't find locally? For example I only am able to find curry leaves 1/4 times I do the rounds on the ethnic grocers I frequent and I've only seen Aleppo chili once.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I spent a few years as a kid getting 3-5 injections a week as allergy treatment because I used to be allergic to everything ever. Now I've no allergies of any sort and never get sick.

So what I'm saying is go rub your kids against a bunch of trees, grasses and animals. Pretty sure that's like the same thing.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Last wedding I went to I was 14 and my cousin got me drunk on champagne. I think the food was alright.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I judge my relationship partners based on how well they fit into my most recent food obsession. Bonus points for pastry making and dish washing. Things I lack patience for.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I call them 'bougie bait.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Pepperoni is the best pizza topping because it is a reflection of pizza itself.

It shares the same shape, the same texture variability between the crisp, raised edges and flat softer center. It is a little greasy. It's salty. It's has a little spice to it. All of these things are also true of a good piece of pie.

When you put pepperoni on your pizza you are putting tiny meat-pizzas in microcosm on your pizza giving you more pizza with every bite of pizza.

Pizza.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Nolet's is my go to. Or if its on hand St Augustine.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Weights are silly and pedantic. Cups are fine.

Volume is fine if you take steps to manage the density of the volume measured consistently.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Feed your dog your neighbors that let guests park in front of your place. Or their smaller dogs.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've had my cuisinart long enough the original blade no longer cuts without significant force. Long enough only being a year of irregular use. Is that normal?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Not at all. Have you made a lot of crushed ice with it or something? I've had my Magimix for a year and a half, and after using it regularly for that time, I can't tell any blade dulling at all. Just last night it cut deep into a sponge by accident.

Does the blade dullness actually affect performance meaningfully? Given how fast they rotate, I'm not sure that it's that big of a deal. Have you noticed any performance loss?

It hasn't had any effect I can actually notice, except for with onions and certain capsicums. The dulled blades tend to damage the structure of them more thoroughly and release more aromatic compunds from them than when the blades were sharp.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I just feel like a badass walking directly off my flight into an uber. No rolling bags though. Those aren't badass. Also fitting 7-8 days of clothes into 1 bag is real cool.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'll stop using Uber soon as it isn't the cheaper and/or more convenient option. Don't want your workers exploited? Sorry try a different economic system.

E: Pie crusts! What are the best things to add to crusts for neat effects. I've played around with using rum/bourbon/brandy instead of some of the water in recipes and enjoyed the results. What else to try?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Taxi services, at least around here, don't hike their prices up 8x just because there's a football game. "Surge pricing" is profiteering bullshit.

e: Uber doesn't pay better at all; they give you more dollars per hour, but the wear and tear on your car is entirely up to the driver, which adds up to making very, very little money

Can't afford the surge? Don't take the ride, or try one of the ordinary cabs? Seems simple enough. Profiteering bullshit? What does that even mean? They have data they can leverage to increase their profits, and incidentally the profits of their contracted partners. Not doing that would be shirking responsibility to their stakeholders.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

pile of brown posted:

Cabs are garbage, I've had a cab call me back 2.5 hours later at 430 am after I walked home from the bar I called it from and then try ro take my cc over the phone to pay them a cancellation fee.

And as far as w&t on privately owned vehicles how do those numbers stack up versus the cost model of traditional cab companies where drivers rent their cars from the cab co and literally lose money on their shifts if they don't make enough fares?

Plus my uber driver earlier was a nice old lady who gave me a chocolate chip cookie.

Chewy or Thin cookie?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Skin your chicken, sous vide the meat, fry or bake the skin separately, use Superior Crisped Skin as a garnish.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Last minute invite to a friendsgiving potluck tomorrow, my brain is being lazy and saying to just make an sausage stuffing or a vegan mushroom stuffing. Any more interesting ideas that'll travel/make ahead well?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Didn't even consider cranberry sauce. That's the way I'm going. Also an excuse to go to the liquor store again.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone released a Sriracha ketchup yet?

Also brown gravy and malt vinegar are pretty much the best on fries.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Sausage mcgriddle with a round egg, add hot sauce and a chunk of hash brown. The mcmuffin muffin is a depressing imitation of an English Muffin.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm alone this thanksgiving but I still made a full turkey/sides/everything so I can eat thanksgiving leftovers for the next Eternity. Everything came out as expected and planned, the smoked turkey even finished within 15 minutes of estimated time. This has been a good and successful holiday. Now to go drink on the beach and watch the sun set.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Wherever I live the kitchen ends up the social center of my place as everyone just hangs out while I cook. So a breakfast bar with window into the kitchen is a good thing I like.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Uh. I did exactly that. That setup still works better than my actual smoker for stuff like fish, nuts and salt.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Until recently I lived in Florida and 90% of strawberries have been trash for years.

I feel there's a downward trend in the quality of a lot "ordinary" produce even as heirloom/rare varietals of fruits and veggies become more available and delicious.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Rurutia posted:

A sv machine is a godsend for advanced food prep. I don't use it much for eggs because a nice sunny side up is faster and more convenient, but I use it regularly on prepping bulk chicken breast for salads for the week or duck or chicken confit for a meat that reheats beautifully that I use throughout the week. Any dinner party I host usually has the meat main done sv because it's easy to precook and hold or reheat gently.

I'm with SubG that it's more useful than my oven, especially if you have a nice toaster oven like the Breville, and is a core staple of my kitchen.

For confit in the SV do you freeze the oil? Or is there a sub-chamber-sealer vacuum machine capable of pulling a vacuum on liquids?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mindphlux posted:

don't use liquid oil. use solid pork or duck fat, or lard, or crisco, or butter, or ghee, or or or or or or

Butter flavored crisco. I've seen this and always been so curious. Finally a justification!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Scientastic posted:

I stand by what I said. Bagels are just OK, and people make out that they're a doughy second coming.

Outside of Montreal, LA, Philadelphia and NYC you'd be hard pressed to find a bagel that justifies the adoration people have for them. I'll second bialy as excellent though.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Jersey bagels fo' life.

but yeah, bagels are might disappointing til you've had a good one

I said NYC and Philly already though?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

At least as far as places in Tampa and in Miami go, even otherwise top-notch restaurants, I'd have a hard time picking fried bone-in chicken from them over publix.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I always make a roast veggie pot pie and a dessert pie of seasonal appropriateness. Low effort and pie crust is somehow still impressive to people.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I thought I wanted to own a house so I could stop renting and dealing with lovely bottom end appliances and vent hoods that don't even vent outside. Turns out I just wanted to get an LLC and rent commissary space from time to time when I wanted to do stupid things.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Sous vide (beer cooler style even) and a cast iron pan will do wonders for you as well. Or cast iron pan for 1 minute per side then throw it in the oven if you buy thick enough steaks.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

But wait, I thought butter was ok now anyway?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Chemmy posted:

Nobody really knows. Eat things in moderation and get some exercise.

How about I binge eat every fad food in-between meals at cookie cutter gastropub/new american restaurants that put out dishes with caloric values that'd shame cheesecake factory? Also I'll buy a fitbit.

Seriously though, has there been a conversation on this explosion of color by numbers style of "hip" restaurant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mindphlux posted:

speaking of beaches and travel - open goonalert, I'll be with my gal in miami next weekend. never been. suggestions? miami food goons?

Haven't been in a year or so, but MC Kitchen is impressively good Italian with a pretty ok selection of wines, but if you aren't sick of them yet they have pretty much everything dogfish head on tap or on hand. Other than that? I dunno. Pay $800 for a bottle or jack daniels at any number of lovely clubs? I don't much like Miami.