Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wiggles, that is a bad idea. Please, for your sake and the sake of those who will be around you immediately prior to and after the wedding itself, do not do this.

Also, this Billy Mays SushiCaulk™ 6000 serious post made me lol:

quote:

Exactly. EXACTLY.

This is definitely for the person who is NOT THAT SERIOUS ABOUT THEIR SUSHI. But hey, you have $16 to spare, you think you'll make sushi once a year, and you want it to come out impressively uniform so your friends can come over and say, "Gosh, that sushi is really great looking?" And even though you know that such petty compliments really aren't worth much long-term, it still makes you feel good inside that you put out tasty and appealing-looking food, and because you make sushi once a year, you know that if you did it by hand it would look like poo poo?

Seriously, I love Alton Brown, but I think this thing transcends his rules. It's not a stupid banana slicer that does what a knife does in three seconds faster - it's a gimmicky tool that actually works that helps people have more fun in the kitchen and more satisfaction with a food that causes a lot of frustration to the even seasoned but sushi-unpracticed home cooks.

Yeesh.

He mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That's fascinating. What is it about South Indian culture that led them to refuse initial offers so fervently?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino. posted:

THAT BEING SAID. It applies mainly to situations where you're dropping in on the person. NOT in situations where you're invited to dinner. So like, if your buddy invited you over specifically to eat food, you're sitting around, and will be served a meal. There's no point in refusing any amount of times, because it's understood that you came to eat. That's why when someone who's not used to that sort of thinking is introduced to the concept, they think that it's silly. It's not about putting someone out who expected you to come over and eat, it's about not asking someone to make you something at a moment's notice (even though s/he is usually happy to do so). This tends to come up in Indian households, because you've got your family and friends living in walking distance of your house, and they'll pop in for a few minutes on the walk home.

Ahhhh, now I understand. That's why I was confused - if I invited someone over for dinner, I'd be offended if I had to ask them three times if they wanted something to eat, but for drop-ins, that makes much more sense. Hell, if I ever drop by someone's place unexpectedly, I usually refuse any refreshments myself. Thanks for the explanation!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wroughtirony posted:

I probably never had any cilantro as a kid. When I was finally exposed to it, I found cilantro very unpleasant and soapy and it would ruin anything it touched. Then I ate it some more and it wasn't so bad. Now I like it a lot.

MY GOD! Have I mutated?!

Here's an interesting article from a few years back about some of the science behind cilantro and the "soapy" tastes some people detect. I'm not sure if I fully buy into it, but it's pretty neat.

Personally, I never had cilantro until I went to college and expanded my palate dramatically, and I gobbled that poo poo up since day 1. I feel bad for those who don't like it because it's so delicious, and I can't help myself from looking down on people who don't like it through no fault of their own. Sorry, babbies!! I really can't help myself!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fun DD&D drinking game - after Guy puts his hand up for a fist bump, take one drink for every second it takes for the white guy he's invariably interviewing to realize what's going on and respond with his own fist.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sociopastry posted:

:smith: Hey dudes, I was gonna make some bacon rice stuffing for the bird I'm cooking for dinner tonight, but then my roomie chucked out the bacon fat I'd saved. I have fresh basil and chives. Suggestions?

I'd suggest you kill your roommate.

Use the basil and chives and make a pesto. Rub the pesto under the skin of the bird and roast as usual. Cook the rice separately and serve the chicken over it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rj54x posted:

Is it hard to get ahold of cheese curds in most places? Even the cheese stand in my local Kroger carries passable squeaky lil' Wisconsin curds, but perhaps that's a function of proximity (NW Ohio)...

Hard? No. Impossible? Yes. Cheese curds are such a regional thing - here in NC most people wouldn't even know what they are. This is to our detriment.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

I am so sorry for your loss. I have three cheeseries within 20 miles and my neighbor makes cheese in her basement so I get all the curds I want.

I just found a dairy farm in NC that sells 12-oz packages of cheese curds so I impulsively purchased two packages.

Now, uh, what do I do with them?? haaaalllp

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Vice is blocked at work but is that the guy who created that Soylent drink? I think there's a part where he goes "if I had money or a girlfriend things might be different" so yeah, I'd peg him as a candidate for being severely depressed.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Four words - meat tuxedo, Gaga style.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Speaking of cheese curds, I just got the curds I ordered from a farm here in NC...I never really understood how a food could "squeak" while eating it but I sure do now!!!

Mine are cheddar-colored with annatto - is this traditional? I could swear all the pictures I've seen of filthy Canadians and their poutine that the curds are typically white.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

What farm here in NC did you get them from?

http://www.ashecountycheese.com/

EDIT: Hmm, upon further investigation it looks like it's not technically a farm, but a cheese plant. Oh well, it was the quickest I could find local cheese curds, and they're tasty as hell. :dealwithit:

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 15, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Currently attending an engagement encounter weekend. It is thoroughly awful.

What the hell is an "engagement encounter weekend" anyway? Is that some sort of Laser Tag-themed engagement party or something??

Casu Marzu posted:

Just went through a shotgun wedding. That was something.

You yourself went through one (in which case congrats!) or you attended one? What made it "something"? Strippers? Hookers? Strippers who hook on the side?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fo3 posted:

Which fish sauce is the best fish sauce?
I normally just grab some unpronounceable name brand from a small asian market I go too.
Had some just then with juiced lime and chilli in a "Thai" salad. It was nice.

Edit: I read the back of the label, it was Tra Chang from Thailand. Aged two years they say...
Well it was only $1.15

The undisputed Heavyweight CHAMPION OF THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD fish sauce is Red Boat. It's pretty drat expensive and I've never had the pleasure of trying it but apparently it's the bee's knees.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Waiting for my dumb state to pass anti-prohibition laws and looking at $500 worth of brewing poo poo in my Amazon cart, just waiting to click.

Hurry up you dumb fucks.

Is it illegal to actually purchase the homebrewing products, as in Amazon won't sell them to you? If you can buy them, I'd say go ahead and do it...unless you're afraid someone's going to snitch on you.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I remember hearing something about putting super cheap vodka through a charcoal filter like a Brita or something making it more palatable. Does this work?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FishBulb posted:

You have I run it multiple times and it still won't make it amazing or anything, but you can do that if you want. I wouldn't bother, just mix it with something if its that harsh.

I wouldn't expect it to make the vodka amazing, but help to lessen the bite somewhat. If only I'd known about this in college (and had a Brita, for that matter) - Dubra (or as we called it, Vitamin D) would've been a lot easier to drink.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I was shocked (SHOCKED) that this was not the very next post in this thread.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That's adorable :glomp:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

She even somehow dumbed it down even further, from "one yellow and one red bell pepper" to "two bell peppers".

Oh, also omitted this:

SPECIAL EXTRA
Top with sliced black olives or green onions just before serving.

Now if that doesn't just make this the fanciest loving poo poo since using Nutella instead of jelly with your peanut butter then I don't know what does.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Reminds me of that damned TAM mild jalapeno. Texas ruins everything.

Honestly, it's not even how mild they are. I can get past that - I just either use more, leave in more seeds, or buy a hotter pepper. But just the way they look...it's like an Americanized jalapeno. Squat and fat. Nothing like a beautiful traditional jalapeno.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I prefer a simple guac of avocado, lime juice, salt, and finely minced garlic. I add some finely minced onion if I'm making it for a crowd, and tomato by request or if I have really good tomatoes which is rare. I'm going to be the weirdo who says he likes his guacamole very smooth - avocado is delicious but if I'm eating guacamole I want every bite uniformly seasoned without big chunks of it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It sickens me that there are people out there so lazy that they're not even willing to make their own hand soap.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Have I been doing something wrong? Soap is great, but ammonia and bleach in my bread dough makes it so airy.

Re: guac-this always comes out with little red and white and green bits in it at the restaurant, as well as a big dollop of something white. Whenever I make it home it's just green. What should I do?

Duh, buy the restaurant.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I had my air conditioner going all last weekend when it got up to the mid-80's. Last night I had to close all the windows because it was so chilly, and shivered taking my dog out this morning. (North Carolina)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wiggleswedding liveblog:

20 quarts of pozole cooking. Beans simmering. Beginning salsas.

You did ask the wedding photographer to take a subset of pictures specifically aimed at GWC, correct?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wiggles would you take a Costco membership as a wedding present?

(congrats!)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hooray! Congrats again Wiggles. Even if you don't have any pictures of the food, you should still post some from the wedding itself, I'm sure we'd all love to check them out!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What a freakin' scam! I want to buy all of the Guy Fieri 5008 Knuckle Sandwich Big Stick 8" Chef Knife in stock so I can resell them for a premium on eBay, but:

quote:

Limit 3 per customer

Bullshit, man! Supply and demand! That ain't American!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wiggles actually had a bare-knuckled boxing ring at his reception and got punched in the kidneys one too many times.

That's how I imagine what happened, at least.

Feel better man!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of my good friends got married this weekend. The invitation had the following entree choices:

___ Moo!
___ Cluck!
___ *the sound of vegetables growing*

(this is exactly how the invitation was written, by the by)

I signed up for the beef but ended up getting chicken at the buffet-style semi-catered dinner, since the beef (strips in some sort of jus) looked so desiccated I wanted no part of that. Unfortunately, the chicken (fried breast portions with some generic gravy-type sauce over it) was terrible too.

Anyway...one of my other friends who was attending the wedding is a vegetarian, as is her sister who came too. Obviously, they both signed up for the vegetarian option. When we were in line to get our food, we asked the people working the line what the vegetarian option was. They pointed to the large bowl of salad at the front of the table. When we scoffed a bit, they shrugged their shoulders and said that they were not told to prepare any veggie entrees.

Who the gently caress has a vegetarian option on their wedding invitation, then basically invites all vegetarian attendees to go gently caress themselves and eat salad?

I'm happy for my friend, really. It was a lovely wedding otherwise and I wish them well. But seriously??

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Holy loving poo poo. Just got around to watching that episode of Kitchen Nightmares and it is just astounding. That woman is so unbelievably neurotic - when she just goes off on a tirade against "online bullies" moments after Ramsay even meets her, and he gets sort of a "what the gently caress?" look on his face...priceless.

I also love how the husband actually threatens Ramsay and says something like "I'm the real gangster" as if he'd have any chance against someone 20 years younger who appears to be quite fit.

Then again, if he really is a gangster, who knows if he has a gun hidden under the counter and that's why he wouldn't let anyone else use the POS system so they wouldn't find it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

The owners will likely be holding a press conference before the Grand Re-Opening and answer falsehoods depicted on a reality television show, including assertions that the restaurant confiscates tips from servers.

Right, the "falsehood" "depicted" straight from Samy's mouth, when he confirmed on-camera that he keeps all the tips. Who the gently caress are they kidding?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

As amusing as their insanity is in this whole situation, those are the types of people who should not be rewarded for their behavior with a TV show. Unfortunately, it's poo poo like this that actually DOES invite reality TV producers to create something. I honestly hope they live and die by their sociopathy and don't become any more of celebrities than they already are.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here's a handy little guide to some good food in Austin...if you aren't interested in those specific dishes highlighted, I'm sure these places would have sometime you'd enjoy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a great time. Now where are our wedding pictures?!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That dude needs to be wearing a Utilikilt, full-stop.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I don't think I'll ever cook a turkey again without spatchcocking it. Much reduced cooking time as well as more even temperature? Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mature and open, just like pr0k's mom's legs.