Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Phummus posted:

Misen keeps popping up in my social media feeds. Anyone tried their pans or knives? Any thoughts on them?

I have a Misen chef's knife, paring knife, and their complete fully-clad stainless steel set.

The knives are good, not great. The chef's knife is extremely comfortable to use, and feels significantly more precise than my Victorinox chef's knife which I chalk up to its slightly shallower blade height. When sharpened it's very sharp, but as mentioned, the steel isn't as hard as it was initially advertised, so it definitely requires regular sharpening. For the price, I'd absolutely buy another one.

Their stainless cookware, however, I have nothing but good things to say about. It heats evenly, relatively rapidly, and performs beautifully. It also cleans up very well, especially in comparison to the All-Clad stainless 12-inch skillet I also have. I actually prefer using the Misen skillet since its performance is equal to the All-Clad one but it cleans up more easily. The biggest drawback to their stainless stuff is that it's a tad heavy, but for fully-clad cookware at that price, it's something I'm absolutely willing to live with.

This is not a sponsored post, I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cranberry sauce is the best when it's jellied, of uniform consistency, and has the ridges from the can imprinted on the side of the cranberry sauce log

don't @ me

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I lived in the Charlotte area for 10 years and quite liked Harris Teeter. Then Publix moved in and I was like "wow this is real nice" even though their subs are waaaaaay overrated, and they're significantly more expensive than most other comparable grocery stores.

Now I live in Florida where there's a Publix every five feet and they've had Publix forever so not only are a lot of them broken down and in bad shape, but you still get to pay a premium! Woo-hoo.

I miss Harris Teeter and their cheap store-brand brie which was excellent.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It looks like we're hosting Xmas dinner this year for my wife's family. One of them doesn't eat pork, lamb is "too gamey" and apparently they don't like prime rib (?!?!) so the general consensus is beef tenderloin. Super boring but it is what it is. What's the best route to take to come up with a dish that's not too aggressive/different for this traditional family, but not boring so that I don't fall asleep eating something I spent a lot of money on?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Made fresh pasta for the first time for NYE, with the Kitchenaid pasta roller/cutter I gave my wife for Xmas...two years ago. Came out really really well! Tossed it in homemade vodka sauce which also came out aces.

Hope everyone had a delicious and safe NYE, and have a great 2020!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EVG posted:

Please let me know what recipe you used! I also picked up one of these attachments as a discount impulse buy, and I'd like to use it before it sits in a box for 2 years as well.

Here is the recipe I used. Pretty similar to what Nephzinho mentioned.

We ended up letting it rest for ~90 minutes after kneading because wine, but I don't think it impacted the end result in any way.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Crossover with Goon Doctor. I just had my blood tested and my LDL cholesterol has spiked in the past year and a half or so. I want to keep it as low as possible. Do we currently understand what parts of our diet contribute the most to high LDL/bad cholesterol? If so, how likely is it that soups, stews, etc. that are high in fat contribute to it?

I’m worried that my current diet has contributed to my spike in bad cholesterol.

As with most things regarding nutrition, we don't really have a good idea about this stuff. The general idea is that high saturated/trans fat intake will raise your LDL. If you want to lower it, reduce your intake of those fats, and increase your fiber intake.

When you refer to your "current" diet, how current are we talking here? How long of a time period has you worried it's affecting your current LDL?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I grew up in a Hellmann's household and it was the gold standard for me, but having lived in the south for a dozen years now, I'm a Duke's man through and through. It's just a lot more pleasantly tangier than Hellmann's, which is absolutely still a top-tier mayo but just nudged down into second place.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Made some pizzas this weekend with Kenji's NY pizza dough recipe. Alfredo base, castelvetrano olives, shallots, prosciutto, and pecorino. Each slice gets topped with arugula before eating. It's a total umami bomb and the arugula makes it surprisingly light.

Had a ball of dough left over so last night I made a calzone with jack cheese, sauteed broccoli/onion/garlic/olives, and some ground beef. One of the best things I've made in a while, and made it completely on a lark.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A while back, we tried grating some white/yellow onion directly into our mac and cheese shortly before it was done cooking. It melts and dissolves into the dish so there's no onion texture, and the residual heat takes off that sharp raw onion bite, but we've been adding grated onion to our mac and cheese ever since the flavor just really punches it all up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of the bummers of this whole pandemic thing is not being able to pick our own produce for the currently-necessary grocery deliveries, so on a whim I decided to try HelloFresh for a while to mix things up a bit. My wife is not a big meat-eater so 2/3 of the meals we choose are vegetarian, and I don't miss the meat at all. The other night we had these harissa sweet potato pita sandwiches with cucumber salad and I cannot believe how filling they were. I'm not normally a huge fan of carb on carb (potatoes in a pita) but it really worked. We may even keep up the subscription after things go back to mostly normal just for the variety it offers, not to mention we're pretty decent home cooks anyway and can spice up or modify the included recipes however we want.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If this forum dies, I had to quote my favorite contribution ever to GWS which just happens to be a pr0k's mom joke.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A few months ago I saw a variety pack of meats from Olympia Provisions on sale at Woot and pulled the trigger. I'd seen some of their operation when Brad Leone from Bon Appetit visited them to learn to make sausage and figured I'd try their wares. It came with a dry salami, chorizo rioja, small cured ham, hot dogs, kielbasa, and bratwurst.

I froze everything but the salamis as my wife's not super into that stuff and I try not to indulge too much, but I've been snacking on them the past week and they are just the best salamis I've ever had. It's honestly like I've never eaten a good dried, cured sausage before. The amount of flavor in just one small slice of each is just incredible. I find myself slicing off little bits even when I'm not hungry and just letting the fat dissolve on my tongue. I can only hope the rest of the stuff I froze is as high-quality. The pack wasn't cheap, but I already know I got my money's worth.

Also, this is not a paid advertisement, I swear. I just needed to tell someone about how drat good this stuff is.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

At least Mrs. Gundersen is still around, assuming the pandemic didn't get her.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

excellent bird guy posted:

Can you make ice cream/gelato/whatever without sugar? Sugar bad. I'd like get pure leaf stevia and try to blend it into a puree or something off the wall like that if I needed sweet. Or go full nutso and use ginger, make it a little hot and tart instead of sweet.

You can make ice cream without sugar. Instead of sugar, substitute ground beef, and instead of milk and/or cream, sub a potato roll. Throw a slice of cheese on there and you've got the best ice cream you've ever had.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Boiling the macaroni in sugared water rather than salted water would be a nice way to ensure uniform sweetness, too. Maybe, I dunno, I just made that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've got some chuck roast that, with the weather cooling, I want to turn into some sort of meat pie. I'm thinking of a pot pie-type thing; basically a rich beef stew in a buttery, flaky crust. Anyone have any recipes/suggestions?