Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drifter posted:

It's not a rap battle though

yo yo yo mindphlux you done phux'd up, claiming women don't make the cut, you suck, make yourself scarce or there's gonna be a ruck, don't hate on the fairer sex and claim men will do better, like women can't follow a recipe to the letter, you say women are butter knives and men are like daggers, the XX has no qualms using agar agar, and spherication and foams in your grill like it's even an issue that they're on the pill, I'd take a step back and relent were I you, or they might turn your dick into straight up meat glue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hey let's chalk this up to a poor choice of words on mindphlux's part, which he admitted, and try to move on. I was hoping my battle rap would help to defuse the situation (and elicit a couple laughs) but it didn't seem to stick - can't we all just get along? I'm sure a lesson has been learned.

Instead, let's talk about whether tipping should be absolutely necessary, and also if black people are bad tippers.

oh dear god I am completely joking please don't ban me

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's not a tumor!!!

:woop::woop::woop:

Hooray!!! Hopefully it's just a goiter like that episode of Home Improvement!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

NosmoKing posted:

Well the doctors tell me I have Lyme disease.

poo poo.

loving ticks.

Dang man, that sucks. Hope you're able to have it treated quickly and effectively.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Apparently when my parents stopped over this morning, my mom thought the lovingly braised and crisped, bay and sage scented foot long pork cracklin I had on the counter top was leftover garbage and fed it to the chickens. :negative:

I didn't even get to taste it :smith:

Now you are obligated to feed HER to the chickens.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Years back I was at a small venue in NYC seeing Bain Mattox and asked the bartender for a Bloody Mary...he scooped the thickest horseradish I've ever seen (looked homemade) out of this plain unmarked Ball jar on the bar and proceeded to make my Bloody.

I don't know what was in that poo poo but it was the best Bloody I've ever had. Not one I've had since has ever lived up to it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dino - I would imagine that a local liquor store would be willing to special order it for you if you ask, no? Especially if you pay up front, I don't see why they couldn't just add it onto the next order from their distributor. Why turn down that business?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Clavietika posted:

A nutritionally balanced meal.

It was vile.

I should've checked the package before leaving the store: Preservatives and yellow food colouring! Blerg.

edit: vvv I wish it was just a potato. The colour's a bit washed out, it was more of a translucent acid-yellow, and the pickle juice was radioactive piss yellow. I wouldn't be surprised if it glowed under a blacklight.

Isn't that the kind of pickle with 9 servings per whole pickle and each serving is something like 35% of your daily recommended sodium intake?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Prepare your brussel sprouts this way. Try it at least once - you'll thank me later.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

gently caress bitches, make curry. There will be plenty of other poo poo for Mr/Ms Picky Eater to choose from.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Good luck, mindphlux!!! Don't forget, it's not too late to run!

Also Wiggles, that seared my retinas.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bunnielab posted:

I was looking up pickled egg recipes and found this:

I have never heard the bit about the final 10 second simmer but I am intrigued.

That sounds like a whooooooooole lot of work just to boil some eggs.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

.0025% concentration? What is it even for? Aside from making it easier to pop your collar, that is.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pile of Kittens - rub some boneless country-style pork ribs with salt, pepper, and a metric fuckload of cumin. Cook all day in a crock pot in a central location in your place. Then, at the end of the day, remove and shred the meat. Congratulations, you just made some delicious pulled pork while also making the house smell like an armpit!! I know this because I did this a few months ago. Took a solid week for the smell to go away.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

My folks decided to remake the kitchen in their house, and since they've never done a kitchen for themselves, my mom went a little hog wild... custom cherry cabinets from a local guy, marble tops, built in fridge, etc. etc. Looks really nice!

God drat that is a baller kitchen. I'm jealous as hell. Except for the wood-panel fridge.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I wonder how breaded and fried chicken livers would be on a poboy. Probably delicious because chicken livers rule and poboys rule.

My buddy got married this weekend so I flew back to CT to attend. His wife is Greek Orthodox and they have a huuuuuuuuuge family. They're also loaded so they spared no expense and the reception was completely baller. During cocktail hour one of the appetizers they had were "duck chips" which I ate entirely too many of. I always get filet as an entree for weddings even though filet is boring but hey free steak...but this was the best filet I've ever had.

Ever been to a Greek Orthodox wedding/reception? It's a sight to see.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Haha. They were very thin slices of duck breast, skin-on, that were deep fried in duck fat and had the appearance of extremely thick-cut russet potato chips.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Unrelated, how can goons love sriracha so loving much but still not know how to loving say it or spell it? It is like the goon version of calling it a "lie-bary" or eating some "pshgetti".

How is it supposed to be pronounced? I've only ever heard (and said) it as "sihr-OTCH-uh".

While we're talking about pet peeves I have a major one - why the gently caress is it so common for people to say "[cooking method] off"? "I seared off that steak." "I baked off that loaf of bread." Why do you have to add the word off? It doesn't make any sense and sounds loving stupid!!! Stop doing it!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What?? I must have missed that the first time around. Could you elaborate?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino, you just don't understand - you've never had to hide behind a beard ;)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of the things I think keeps people from making attempts in either the N/ICSA or Cook or Die threads is their fear that their level of (in)experience will keep them from being successful or invite the scorn of GWS regulars. I, for instance, was hesitant to jump into the Fry That Bird CoD because I've pretty much never fried anything. In fact, my results were clearly subpar, but I'm glad I did it and it was a real learning experience. I mean it's pretty obvious that the ICSA and NICSA are aimed toward two pretty distinct groups of people regarding home cooking experience, but I think it'd be good to add a disclaimer for any future Cook or Die threads that all skill levels are welcome, and all that's needed to prevent getting an ugly custom title is the effort itself, not your final results.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

EVG, I think maybe posting a thread per dish is a good idea. I don't know if a rags to riches trashfood makeover megathread is a good idea since it will attract a lot of newbies and will quickly turn into an ADHD fest. Maybe something like cook or die, where one dish every few weeks is "made correctly" or dressed up somehow and showcased in its own thread? This would keep the techniques and details of each recipe separate in their own threads and keep the subforum lively. An easy entry I can think of is Kraft dinner -> Modernist Mac and Cheese. The carbonara thread is another example of this formula in the past that I thought worked out pretty well. My ragu thread was another such thread.

I think that's a great idea. Perhaps we could have a series of threads (either competitive or no) in the style of N/ICSA or Cook or Die where a given trashfood is presented as the model, and it is up to the competitors to create a classy non-trash version of it. Kind of like the recent callout thread between Tweek and PopeCrunch, except open to all. I just don't know how we could attract those people who actually eat the trashfood to participate if their cooking ability is that limited...or how to keep them from feeling intimidated. Any suggestions?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We actually kinda did this sort of thing for an ICSA once and it seemed like folks had fun with it. An NICSA version sounds awesome.

That does sound awesome, and we haven't had an NICSA in a long time. Would anyone care to create one?

Doh004 posted:

I've only ever posted one thread here in GWS but I'd like to do another. I know people had expressed interest in old time period recipes, I was also thinking it'd be neat to have a thread with people's old family recipes - things that you've personally been handed down from a previous generation. Could be a cool glimpse into people's personal pasts :)

This is a great idea too.

therattle posted:

I have a mandolin (well, V-slicer) and it freaks me out. I can't watch cooking shows when they use the mandolin.

One day I was getting a sub sandwich made at the local Harris Teeter and the sushi chef was there using a mandolin to slice ribbons of cucumber...no finger guard, and she wasn't even looking at what she was doing. Obviously her muscle memory kept her from slicing her finger into bloody ribbons, but I think I had a little panic attack at the time.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bartolimu posted:

My family always called it dressing regardless of whether or not it was in the bird. That's probably a Midwestern dialect thing, though.

My family always called it stuffing whether or not it was inside the bird. Maybe that's a New England thing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Really really sorry to hear that, dino. Hope everything gets better soon. :smith:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

To be fair (I guess?), this is kinda just a regular English breakfast...the most disgusting part to me is the cast iron pan they cook in. I mean poo poo, you don't have to (nor should you) be scrubbing that thing to a fine patina after each time you use it, but goddamn, that poo poo has gone from "seasoned" to "cancerous".

EDIT: Sorry, Wiggles. :(

Man, tough day for GWS peeps today.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh, Ricola meant to post a different one. Oh well. gently caress this day.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bartolimu posted:

The thought had occurred to me. Maybe I can get a thread started today, depending on how terrible work is. How much time to folks want between assignment and shipping? I'd probably shoot for December 1st assignments if left to my own devices, but that might be a little short on time for international shipping.

December 1st is perfect. Gives a full month for signups and assignments, and if someone cannot honestly get their shipment to an international customer by Xmas, they shouldn't have signed up in the first place (in my opinion).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

drat. That was like the GWS post version of a Rocky training montage.

Welcome back, Happy Hat!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sorry, Grav :( Condolences.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Like there's any meat in those.

Hey man, just because it's mechanically separated doesn't mean it's not meat!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Happy Hat posted:

I am going

Best of luck Happy Hat! We look forward to your tales as a humanitarian.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

contrapants posted:

menstrual blood cookies

:stare:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Croatoan posted:

It's inconceivable! They're saying that brining a bird just makes it watery, salty and has less flavor. Well I never!

To be perfectly honest, as the vast majority of people horribly overcook their turkeys, I'd rather have a moist brined turkey even if it means having slightly less ~~** concentrated turkey flavor **~~ than a piece of loving shoe leather. I'm looking at you, Gram.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino. posted:

Thanks you gais. I didn't think it would hurt this much to the point where the physical pain (of that goddamned back injury) would be trumped out with how much my heart aches. I used to read Puppy's goofy little love letters to give me a pick-me-up when I'm feeling sad or lonely, but right now that's a little too raw to do. It didn't really hit me hard until I was at aforementioned friend's house, and her boyfriend and her were getting into arguments over stupid things (mainly around putting up the outdoor xmas decorations and the like). I don't know why that set me off into this emo slide, but it did.

dino, I had a long-term relationship end just before the holidays last year so I know exactly what you're going through. One thing I cannot stress enough - do NOT sequester yourself away from your friends and family, or allow yourself to wallow alone in misery. I did exactly that, and both my physical and mental health suffered greatly for it. Get drunk every night if you have to, but do it with a friend - I promise that the effort it takes to put yourself out there and be around other people will be well worth it in the long run.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

the gluten-free, dairy-free, non-GMO savory “Truffled Heart” with artichoke hearts and white truffle oil. Add an agave drizzle for an extra quarter!

:rolleyes:

Right, like I'm going to pay an entire 25 cents to add a sweet drizzle to a very savory porridge.

(that entire thing is ridiculous and should not exist)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

pr0k posted:

I used to use a running slicer for mandoline tasks. Then a dishwasher/prep kid copied me, despite specific instruction never to do that. After washing his blood off the slicer I stopped doing that.

Someone make a macro a'la Mortal Kombat: MANDOLINE WINS

Post pics of sacrifices to the Mandoline God ITT

(spoiled for gross)

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 20, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I drove 12 hours straight today, from Charlotte, NC to Shelton, CT. My meal choices today: sausage egg biscuit from McDonalds (surprisingly good), foot long oven-roasted chicken sub on wheat from Subway with lettuce, onion, cucumber, provolone, and their sriracha sauce (the worst thing I have ever eaten, and in two parts because my stomach needed something after the first half wasn't enough to tide me over the whole drive).

Now I'm in my hotel room and about to enjoy a calzone from a local place I know makes good poo poo. Several drinks have helped.

The point of this post? Don't make 12-hour drives without a compatriot other than a dog (last time I was here was with my ex, this time was with my dog who whined excessively).

I almost don't want to go to sleep because I'm in some sort of weird dream state and think everything is both fake and real.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chemmy posted:

Hotel room? You couldn't stay with SOBB?

The plans for someone to watch my dog at home fell through so SDBB and his wife were gracious enough to watch him while I spend the week in the hotel room that my mom was so glad to reserve for me for a week because she had enough points to cover me. Luckily my dog is super chill and having a great time despite hating the 12 hour drive.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It's 11pm on Xmas night and I'm hanging out in my hotel room after driving to approximately eighty-five locations today to visit everyone I can while I'm in town. Thank goodness I can have some drinks here because having to drive all day combined with a family who finds Miller Lite to be some heavy poo poo doesn't really work for me.

I was so looking forward to the 24 lb fresh ham my dad traditionally makes for Xmas, poked full of garlic cloves. Unfortunately this year I don't know what the gently caress he did but that poo poo was dry as gently caress. I was looking forward to it so much and my heart was basically broken at how bad it was compared to the past. At least my mom's broccoli casserole was delicious. I had made her recipe in the past and wondered why it wasn't the same as growing up - come to find out, Velveeta changed their recipe or some poo poo a couple years ago so instead of just layering Ritz/Velveeta/Broccoli and baking it, she now makes a broccoli and Velveeta slurry that she layers in a tin with a Ritz topping. poo poo is midwestern hotdish-style type, but it's good as hell.

My brother, his wife, and their two kids are estranged from the rest of my family hence the need to stay in a neutral (hotel) location, but having to stop by both of their places multiple times is exhausting. Luckily my older nephew loved his toy, so I'm the best uncle ever.

I'm basically using this post as a Livejournal so thank you all for listening, Merry Christmas, and I'll catch you all on the flip side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Went out for dinner tonight with my parents to a revered Italian joint in a neighboring town. Got the zuppa di pesce at the recommendation of my dad. Was offered white or red, got it white. The "broth" was pretty flavorless. The calamari was cooked into rubber oblivion. The shrimp were good...all four of them in a huge platter. The clams and mussels were okay. The best part of the dish were the scallops which for whatever reason are my least favorite bit of seafood.

Overall my culinary sojourn to CT for the holiday has proven fruitless. The best thing I've eaten here is a chicken parm sandwich from a local (and much-loved by me) 24-hour diner. It's not even that this is a food or restaurant desert or anything, I am just having some bad luck!!

At least my gin and soda was good. Not looking forward to my 12 hour drive Saturday...