Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, for my impending wedding, my fiance has suggested that it might be a good idea that we make all the food for the reception. I agreed that this might be feasible, since I won't really have anything to do the day before or the day of the wedding until I have to put my suit on about half an hour before we get hitched, and I'll have the entire church kitchen at my disposal (which is a pretty nice pro level kitchen). Guest list for the reception is about 200 people, and I'm thinking tamales, pozole, carne asada, tortillas, and assorted fresh vegetable/fruit dishes.

Thoughts?

You will have a miserable wedding if you choose to do this. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you will not enjoy yourself at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Happy Hat posted:

What I am saying - do you want to participate in the reception, or do you want to be a main player behind the scenes...

We had ~120 people at our wedding, it was completely catered, yet I still had very little time to relax. I had a great time, but I don't know that I would have if I was responsible for anything else that day, especially something like food (esp. for 80 more people). My three goals for the day were for my wife and I to enjoy the day, our guests to enjoy the day, and for nothing to go particularly wrong. Adding a huge responsibility to what I was already doing would have made at least one of those goals suffer, and to me that defeats the purpose of wasting all that time and energy on a day that goes by very quickly.

It sounds like he's made up his mind, but I completely agree with you.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

brick cow posted:

It makes it sound like there are people out there that randomly buy cuts without at least having an idea what to do with them. Are there people like that?

You are greatly overestimating the ability of many people to think beyond "this is on sale, I am buying it and cooking it to eat in some fashion possibly with a microwave."

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I have a Fagor 1800w portable induction cooktop, and it's excellent for searing with cast iron. It maxes out at about 430 degrees. Picked it up for $99 at Marshalls a couple years ago.