Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

therattle posted:

I'm not reading any of these horror stories. I have a sensitive disposition.

As for baby food, we are trying baby-led weaning, where we give babby food (cooked broccoli, carrots, and dwarf corn, sticks of cucumber, blueberries, etc) to hold, shove in his mouth, and gnaw on, so he gets used to different textures, and eats what he wants and when. We are also giving him stuff like grated pear and baby rice with a spoon, but only for as long as he seems to want it. When he doesn't want any more, we stop. The idea is to give him control over what he eats, so food doesn't become a battleground.
Agreed on horror stories and food policy. We did something pretty similar with our kid, and not only did she wean herself without incident, but now she'll eat anything that tastes good. I'm so proud of her because she hasn't picked up any stupid food hangups from her mom (mustard, pork, eggs, fine cheese) or me (seafood). Last night we had chicken curry, upma (Indian curry semolina), and for dessert a deconstructed/sloppy trifle with angel food cake, creme anglaise, bananas, and blueberries. Kid ate it all gleefully. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
We all have to go to dino's, but then when we get there insist that he serve us meat. A traditional Thanksgiving, y'know? :) Joking aside, I would totally hang out with dino. (If invited. :ohdear: )

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dino. posted:

To the charoset, I'll be adding dates, pomegranate molasses, cinnamon, cardamom, apples, pears, some brandy, pecans (I like pecans more than walnuts for some reason), possibly some dried apricots, grated ginger, and orange juice. Anyone got any other suggestions on stuff to add to it to bump up the flavour?
Sounds pretty awesome and full of flavor to me. I'm used to charoseth being soggy granola. :( Only thing I'd quibble with is the brandy--but it's just because I'm used to red wine.

BTW, got your book! It's awesome!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Really? When I've had lotus root, it's just like a potato: either a super crisp potato chip or a nice stewed potato.

Head Movement posted:

dino, You've probably done it a bunch of times before, but could I get a link to your book.
http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333544942&sr=8-1

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Heh. Note date of original posting: http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2012/04/unicorn-cookbook-found-at-the-british-library.html

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
That is Mr. Al loving Pastor right there.

Edit: Or more properly, Seņor Al Chingada Pastor.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

bartolimu posted:

Actually that's Seņor Al Chingada Adobada.
For reals? I've never seen that. I'm used to anything on a rotating broiler being al pastor. And it looks a hell of a lot better than the al pastor I'm used to. Next time I'm in Vegas, I'm all over that.

Not so many business trips at the new job though, so it's gonna be a bit. :(

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Dumps?

Edit: Oh, I think you mean dumplings. Yum.

By the way, I'm gonna quit my job and buy an Indian Food truck. That thing is gorgeous, and only $75K.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^ :mad: That sucks.

dino. posted:

I willllll. This weekend, I'm going to be in Herndon to visit to my brother, his wife, their kids, etc with Puppy. However! After that, we can likely set something up, and I can swing on down. :3
Didn't know you had family in Herndon. I used to live there!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dino. posted:

Got to have Korean food with MP. It was all I'd hoped it'd be. :swoon:
Vegan Korean food is awesome. I actually prefer vegan kim chi to the kind with the fish sauce and bits of marine life in it. Did you get to try the fried tofu thing? There's a dish that's basically pan-fried tofu that's then braised with soy sauce, scallions, garlic, and enough chilies to kill an elephant. It's wonderful.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Didn't he get banned recently?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
And Chinese red cooking sauce, which is basically soy, sugar, spices, and wine.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Crossposting from bart's ancient cookbook thread:

I'm a sick, terrible person.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
From a DC lunch truck today: fontina/parmesan mac & cheese with slow-roasted pork, broccoli rabe, and olive oil toasted breadcrumbs on top. Good lunch.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dino. posted:

Or, just make adai, which is supposed to be thick anyway, and isn't so fiddly and finicky. Hope this helps!
Thanks, helps a bunch! It's partly that my batter was too thick and partly user error. I was getting less bad at it by the end of the second batch. But the potatoes came out really good this time, so it wasn't as sad that our dosa didn't turn out perfect.

Poha in the batter sounds like a nice touch!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

NosmoKing posted:

Took my kid to aikido yesterday for the first time. Of course it happened to be the one day of the year the parents are expected to be on the mat with the children.

It was a bunch of moms and me and their children. My darling daughter pipes up "daddy was in wrestling and karate and tae kwon do".

I got to be the instructors throwing and smacking things into toy for the day.

Ouch, everything is sore today.
And you were hoping for floor work with one of the moms?

True confession: the first time I ever put my arms around a girl was in judo, and I was trying to keep her from throwing me to the ground.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Daeren posted:

Also, it was humbling to see how fast I could go from being on my feet to being held against the ground with a limb halfway wrenched off like I was a GI Joe toy in the hands of that kid who liked frying ants.
Yeah, that's what judo was like. Plus some choking.

One day, the Sensei said, "Hey Macaroni, you're just old enough to be out of youth competition. That means people are allowed to use the choke move on you. Here, I'll show you!" The world faded out and I woke up about 5 minutes later, staring at the ceiling. Good times.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Phummus, hope this turns out to be a bunch of nothing or human error. :(

bartolimu posted:

That's really not the case. If you're Wrong often enough, they might even make you a mod.
Hmph. You're still a mod, what does that say? Although I always was the most wrong.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thug, don't forget about cutting the beef against the grain. (With a skirt steak, that means you'll be cutting it into short strips, not long ones.) Even well-marinated skirt steak is like a leather wallet if you don't cut it against the grain.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^^^ Aw man. Even more best wishes your way.

I like turtles posted:

Welp.

:suicide:

We need :downs:+:chef:
Yeah, a new Italian place opened up near me. I went there on opening day and ordered linguine with pesto and a side salad. Side salad was as you described, with some kind of hideous non-dressing made of grated hardboiled eggs, Kraft parmesan, and black pepper. Pesto was clearly from a dry mix that had never seen fresh basil. Of course this restaurant is now constantly full. But I'm okay because across the street is a place run by a guy Actually From Italy who makes loving awesome pizza and always has soccer on the TV.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Glad to hear that your kid's doing better and that it wasn't something truly terrible.

PXJ800 posted:

On a different note, you may notice my blue star is gone.
Welcome home, brother. Fist bump and awkwardly long hug.

Welcome, Happy Abobo.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I asked dino the same question, and he said to do whatever. So I bought through Amazon.

While we're talking about vegan stuff: I love pan frying tofu to crisp it up, but it's always splattery. Can I drain tofu, coat it with oil, and then throw it it into the oven to get the same effect? I'm gonna experiment this weekend but wondered if anyone else has tried this.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Well I'm totally gonna crash on dino one of these days when I get to NYC, and I'll get him to sign copies then.

You know we were gonna do this, right dino? Probably around Thanksgiving? Also, my wife's cousin wants to come and she's not into that whole vegan thing, could you roast a turkey just for her? :D I still can't believe those people tried to do that to you. If we ever do get to visit, you're going to tell us about an awesome vegan restaurant and we're going to take you out. And you will marvel over our adorable kid who eats everything but bread.

mediaphage posted:

Also if it's splattery in the pan, you're either using too much oil, too high a heat, or insufficiently draining your tofu. I don't have this problem.
Probably insufficient draining. Tofu drainage is one of those "Aw gently caress, dinner's at 6 and it's 5:30 and I'm just gonna put this tofu in a kitchen towel and beat on it a bit, k done" things I always fail to do early enough.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
For some reason I thought dino wasn't working at the restaurant anymore--I must be confused. (Not at all surprising on a Monday.)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I'm glad your neck is ok.

To my dismay, I just found a commercially prepared corned beef brisket that had been pushed to the back of the fridge. The expiration date is April 8. I'm thinking that the stuff has enough salt to kill pretty much any bacteria, but--should I chuck it or cook it?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Perhaps, like me, Wiggles is sufficiently stinky that multiple wearings of clothes are not possible in polite company. In winter I'll wear pants twice (not on consecutive days), but as soon as the sunshine hits I become a sweaty ape and have to burn my clothes each week.

Don't forget wiggles: hipsters always hang out in air conditioned places. Therefore they can recycle clothes more easily.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dino. posted:

@The Macaroni: I'm guessing your wife like Gujarati food, what with their sugar in freaking EVERYTHING, up to and including daal? :gonk: I saw in another thread (gravi's, I think) about her love for tomato sauce being loaded with sweet. Ugh.
Yup. And funny that you mention Gujarati daal--the first time I tried it, I freaked out and asked my friend, "You're screwing with me, right? This is some kind of kheer and you just put it on rice to fool me?" Nope.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I was thinking much the same thing, HA.

BTW, when I first noticed your blue star, I saw your name as "Happy Adobo." Given the nature of GWS, that would not be a bad name change at all.

Edit: Although I love your avatar. :3:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I only blab about my CSA because it's delicious and fresh, screw justice and moral superiority

For those not on my Facebook feed: Saturday dinner was steak, spinach Korean style, grilled asparagus, and chimichurri sauce. All ingredients (except steak and lemon juice) from a farm just up the road. Fridge still full of parsley, collards, mushrooms, green onions, and strawberries.

I was pretty much eating the chimichurri sauce with a spoon, it was that fabulous.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Here is Stovetop posted:

You got a recipe for that chimichurri? My old boss at this cafe I worked at made this amazing chimichurri for special occasions to go on these tiny open face steak sandwiches that was amazing. I have been unable to replicate it.
I pretty much eyeballed everything, but something like:

1/2 cup densely packed parsley
small handful of cilantro (maybe 2-3 tbs packed)
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice (bitter orange or lime juice would probably taste nice too)
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste

- put herbs and garlic in food processor and obliterate
- dump in bowl and add remaining ingredients
- if you put everything in the food processor at once you get an emulsion (aka chimichurri vinaigrette)

Guess the olive oil and vinegar weren't local, but the rest was.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Sounds good. I made strawberry ice cream last night (local strawberries from my CSA #moralsuperiority), next up is blackberry sorbet from non-local berries. If I can find some Meyer lemons, I'm all over that sorbet.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Dry the mint, maybe? Even though dry mint is way inferior to the fresh stuff, comes in handy in winter.

My question: I've still got collard greens and mustard greens--anything exciting I can do with them besides "ye olde pot of greenes"?

Edit: Oh man, I remember one of you once tried making dolmathes with collards and said it was fabulous. I'll go that route!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^^ Rest up, Halal. Weekend!

Collard green dolmathes were ludicriously delicious. I'm never buying grape leaves again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Glad you enjoyed it! My South Indian homeboys can do some crazy things with rice.

Edit: South Indian gangsta snype

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 26, 2012