Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

axolotl farmer posted:

Lavender smells like old people. Why would you ever want a dessert that tasted like old people?

I work in a nursing home. I should be so lucky if they smelled like lavender.

The things I tried last year that I didn't like were durian, some kind of minty jello thing in China, sea cucumber sushi, and dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I made the mistake of trying Dunkin Dount's chicken salad croissant. It was terrible; but the thing is, their food ALWAYS sucks. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered it.

One of my friends does market research and development for Dunkin and she told me that nobody in their office actually eats there since the food is so vile.

They sell more bagels than anybody in the country, which I find weird for no real reason.

Squashy, what're the names of the taco places in Waltham? I'd love some good Mexican food.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

dino. posted:

When Puppy and I watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, I was squealing with delight. Marilyn Monroe OWNS. She is a goddess. So is Merly Streep, but Marilyn Monroe. Homans. Did you see all those dresses? I could have died! She was absolutely divine.

Some Like It Hot is the best Marilyn movie. The ending is amazing.

This weekend is my brother's wedding and my girlfriend is my plus one. I've never brought a girlfriend to a wedding before. We're sitting with my lesbian cousin and my conservative uncle, so it should be lively if nothing else.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

dino. posted:

I loved Some Like it Hot. I thought Ms. Monroe was absolutely charming in it. Unlike in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, she didn't quite steal the show, but provided a nice backdrop, which was lovely, I think. I don't know; I guess that even though I preferred her /range/ in Some Like it Hot, I really adored how they dolled her up in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. How could you not fall in love with an actress who has the audience captivated with such poise and glamour?

That's very true. I haven't watched Gentlemen for awhile, I'll have to revisit it. part of what I find so awesome is the subversion of the last line of Some Like It Hot and how it got past the censors of the time.

I was in the girl scouts for a long time and it was pretty fun overall. 4-H had better camp though. I still like the trefoil/shortbread cookies, but most of the others never really appealed to me.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Darval posted:

"This food tastes like baby blood"

"Can I trouble you for your recipe?"

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Halalelujah posted:

Soooo, what is everyone doing this weekend?

One of my friends has a birthday and some of us are going out to dinner. Next weekend my girlfriend and I are celebrating our anniversary and she just got a new job, so celebration times ahoy.

No Kathleen Turner marathon is complete without Serial Mom.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

NosmoKing posted:

The same company that has been cited by the EPA for destroying watersheds and poisoning large swaths of land. The same company that has had employees die from being too close to its poo poo lagoons.

Yep they're experts on sustainability, and will teach us all how to do it right!

Is Monsanto co-sponsoring?

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

dino. posted:

I mean, I understand as well as anyone else that feeling of wanting to have a taste of home once in a while. I was in India for like 3 months back when I was 16, and my aunt treated us to Pizza Hut in Bangalore.

When I was at the Great Wall our Chinese tour guide told us to eat at the Subway since the other restaurants there were colossal rip-offs. Pizza Hut was also really popular and the menu had stuff like escargot and braised pork knuckles, it was a bit surreal.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

therattle posted:

You idiot, that's chewing gum you're thinking of.

So I'm a speech therapist and I work in nursing homes. One of the most common exercises for people having difficulty swallowing is to chew gum, which is crude but shockingly effective. Sometimes when I suggest it the old people act like chewing gum is some kind of moral offense akin to peeing in the middle of a church and I just don't get it. :(

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

A common side effect of medication is dry mouth, and a lot of the elderly are borderline dehydrated since your sense of thirst diminishes as you age. So the gum gets your saliva going, and then you have to swallow it. You end up working your cheek, jaw, lip, and tongue muscles, but also the muscles in your pharynx end up working as well since you're swallowing a good deal of saliva in quick succession. Gum chewing also decreases the bacterial count in the mouth. I use mint gum, and when you pair it with water the menthol makes sensations more intense, which is good for people who have had strokes or aren't as aware of when food is in their mouths.

I use it a lot for people who have dementia since they can't do more advanced stuff, and it's also really good for people with Parkinson's since they tend to have a lot of trouble managing their saliva. I go through nearly a pack of gum a day when I have a lot of people with trouble swallowing on caseload. I should buy stock in Extra one of these days.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

SubG posted:

Anyone have any experience with USAA's mortgage services?

I don't, but I've got my car loan, car insurance, renter's insurance, checking, and savings account through them and they have amazing overall customer service. For the car loan they offered me a rate and then when the dealer gave me a better one, they slightly beat it. I think their service is excellent overall.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Dino, did you have a chance to go to the Reading Terminal Market? It's fun to wander around. Crowded as all get out though.

I'm going to be back in Delaware for a few days soon and I am looking forward to stocking up on Dogfish Head's brown honey rum. Also, crabs.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

dino. posted:

So we'd pass by like a bunch of farmer's stands all over the place. There would be little mini shops, the size of my apartment, packed high with local produce, without the crowds, and extremely friendly people.

Poking around Amish country makes for a great Philly day trip; there's lots of awesome markets. I especially like the random farmstands and people selling homemade root beer and so forth on the roadside. Just don't go on a Sunday or any kind of Christian holiday.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

wafflesnsegways posted:

I'm about to take I-70 from Utah to Virginia. What and where should I eat along the way?

How much time do you have to fiddle around? The best restaurant near Denver in my opinion is Frasca, which is a relatively short drive up to Boulder. Or if you want to go for regional specialties, you can always find a place that serves Rocky Mountain Oysters, and elk and bison are on. There are a large, large number of excellent breweries as well if you enjoy beer.

You could also go to Casa Bonita if you hate yourself and/or love South Park.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Amykinz posted:

I still haven't found a place that can make a sidecar correctly. On my honeymoon, the waitress laughed and told me, "That's an old lady drink". Even with her directions, the bartender still messed it up.

If you ever happen to go to the Bellagio in Vegas, they do it right.

Sidecars are one of my favorite drinks, but I tend to make them at home. There's a cocktail bar in Boston that I've been meaning to try called Drink that I've heard good things about, anyone been?

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

I think I have eaten my yearly allotment of scrapple, yum.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

My rib roast turned out a perfect medium rare and I am getting drunk on egg nog. Life is good, Merry Christmas!

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Okay yeah, maybe I'll do that next time. I was in town for Extreme Beer Fest with about twenty friends. We managed to keep each other busy despite everything getting canceled. The day after the blizzard we invaded Lord Hobo and filled about half of their tables. Probably drank half of their Edward as well.

I've heard good things about Craigie from other Boston friends but haven't been there yet. A couple of years ago we went to Boston Burger Company. Their burgers toe the stunt-eating line pretty closely, but they put out a tasty product and were great about seating our party of fifteen despite their FoH being the size of a postage stamp.

I missed EBF, going to have to pay more attention to when tickets go on sale next time. Boston goons should also check out NERAX- it's a fun cask ale festival, very laid back.

Craigie's is amazingly good, easily one of the best meals I've ever had. You should also try Russel House Tavern in Harvard Square.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Clavietika posted:

Soo, the coworker "allergic" to curry brought ambrosia salad to the potluck.

They're not allergic to diabetes, then.

My grandmother loved ambrosia salad and even as a five-year-old I couldn't stand how sickly sweet it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

I finally have a venison hookup! A coworker mentioned to me that her boyfriend hunts and on Friday I received a beautiful loin in exchange for good beer. It was so drat tasty, my girlfriend cooked it with 5-spice and a few other things. I haven't had venison since I moved north and my point here is that Bambi is delicious.