Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
No special Mardi Gras dinner but I did make a King Cake that I've been snacking on and probably going to spoil my dinner on. Thought it was going to be super dry because I fell asleep while baking it but thankfully it was just a tad overbaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I just found out Costco carries a Kirkland brand parchment paper which is awesome. I use a lot and it's like $2-3 for 30 squarefeet at the grocery store, just $6 for 205 squarefeet at Costco. :toot: I love Costco, it's so great.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Yes this conversation is stupid, and you're being extremely obtuse if your first thought when reading about people not washing their hundreds of dollars jeans is that they encounter even a fraction of your list.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Obviously all people encounter some dust and dirt but a lot of people encounter it in small enough amounts that they're not going to get their clothing very dirty or smelly on most days.

Personally my everyday clothes only comes in contact with small amounts of dust, sweat, and animal hair each day. At work I'm wearing a lab coat when I'm working with any blood or tissues. I come into contact with dirt/grass in the yard but just down at my feet. I sweat more when I'm working out but wear workout clothes for that. I don't go six months without doing laundry but if I consciously tried to delay laundering I could probably go awhile before anything got gross unless I spilled food on it.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
There are probably people with office jobs who don't have pets and drive to work that encounter even less dust/dirt/sweat than me!

:lost:

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

I am sorry, but this is the first time I've come across the term 'weather-dick'..

When Nashville got flooded a couple years ago.

Yesterday we went to a friend's who had smoked large amounts of pork shoulder from the local butcher. I brought macaroni and cheese and rolls and he had a potato dish. As he was pulling the pork, he realized "sorry, there aren't going to be any vegetables in this dish, I forgot about the corn." haha. The pork was really good.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Walk Away posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

He is saying that wishing people couldn't have dogs is ironic given how just as annoying and disruptive children can be in public to the people who are not their parents. Generally when children are annoying in public you can blame it more on the parents, just as when dogs are annoying it is seldom their fault but due to having bad owners.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I don't know if Rachael Ray was the originator of "sammie" but I'm sure she is at least the one to popularize it.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Happy birthday mp! <3

mich
Feb 28, 2003
It's a silly thread, whatever. It neither excites me or offends my sensibilities.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Oh hi

mich
Feb 28, 2003

therattle posted:

Nice catte.

Butterbean is a catte.

Also, I have a lot of egg whites, what should I do with them? Was thinking meringue cookies with some, do some ramos gin fizzing, but that'll only cover some of my egg whites.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
HappyHat should probably just whiskey smash..

mich
Feb 28, 2003
For reference: http://americandrink.net/post/678120006/the-whiskey-smash

mich
Feb 28, 2003
He also carries around a stencil that he uses to spray paint the walls of some of the places he's been to. One of my favorite diners here has it. :negative:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Those are fresh chickpeas from the name of the dish and it looks like the picture was taken after already digging in.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
He means literally in the Joe Biden sense.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

gently caress the haters. Use a good hot dog, and then top this with a good homemade cheese sauce and this would be delicious.

You are advocating boiling a hot dog for 8-10 minutes?

mich
Feb 28, 2003

FishBulb posted:

I'm no hot dog expert but could it hurt it? Seems like it wouldn't be any worse.

Most hot dogs you buy are already cooked, boiling for so long would just be boiling seasoning and flavor out of the hot dog.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Not as horrorshow a cover, but I found an issue on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Housekeepings-cocktails-savouries-Housekeeping-Institute/dp/B0000CJ0HY

Sample from inside:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
The recipe does say three but lemons are variable in size and tartness so you might have bigger/more sour lemons than dino uses. If it is too sour for your taste use less next time. Add the lemon one at a time and taste.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
This thing looks pretty dinky but if you're just grinding in smaller quantities it works fine, as long as you have some sort of surface that the suction works on. I don't use it super often so don't know how durable it is though.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Mind of a Chef has the first two episodes of the new season streaming online. Check out this one about The South.

:love: hot chicken :love:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Happy New Year GWS!

I much prefer just staying at home for NYE so we had a couple people over and I made fried chicken, creamed collard greens, semi-daalish black-eyed peas, biscuits, and pineapple upside down cake topped with boozy cherries. Had a sazerac, corpse reviver #2, Prince of Wales cocktail, and Frank Forester's Punch. Happy with these decisions.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
TABLE

mich
Feb 28, 2003
They haven't been Hebrew Nationals for awhile. To keep the $1.50 price they are using their own hot dog. Still 100% beef and tasty though I slightly prefer the old ones.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Yeah, I like potato skins but for mash prefer without.

I'm okay foregoing the vitamin content of a potato skin every now and then for mash.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
The idea that the west is the place to be for burgers is laughable, especially In n Out. Nothing special pretty much defines it.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Bánh mě is Vietnamese for bread not sandwich. :v:

mich
Feb 28, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't think that would work with fancier sausages though. I get that aidells stuff at costco sometimes but it suffers from too-short-for-the-bun syndrome.

For the most part I avoid this problem by always making my own buns for any bun requiring foods but then sometimes I mis-eyeball the pre-proofed size and it ends up too big anyway. :v:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Pho is a breakfast food.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
These aren't cheese substitutes but recipes for two cheesy foods. So for the times your need for a cheese sub is due to making one of these foods, give these a try. I haven't myself but Kenji is pretty reliable for recipes so I'd trust it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/vegan-stovetop-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/gooey-vegan-nacho-cheese-sauce-recipe-food-lab.html

mich
Feb 28, 2003
The only problem with vegan hot pot is I can't make this exact explanation about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l1mKpt_OTU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I had a really good dinner at Avec last time I visited Chicago. Also a good Peking duck meal at Sun Wah Bar-B-Que. Next time I go, aside from the Grant Achatz spots, I'd like try Girl & the Goat and one of the Rick Bayless places.

For Saturday lunch hot dog and/or Italian beef from Portillo's.

Sunday breakfast/brunch at the Publican.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Oh, also get ice cream at Jeni's.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Man I missed this earlier.

posh spaz posted:

I am basing my opinion off of https://www.lovingpho.com/pho-opinion-editorial/pronunciation-vietnamese-words-phrases/ and https://www.chow.com/food-news/55268/how-do-you-say-pho/

In the first site, some of the examples he gives sounds a lot like foe to me.

There are also videos on YouTube of people saying fuh with Vietnamese people saying they're wrong.

I don't want to poo poo up the general thread arguing about pho. Let's talk about syrup. The correct way to say it is sear-up. If you say sirrup you're doing it wrong.

I'm Vietnamese, it's definitely more fuh, not foe. What you're hearing that you think it's more like foe is the inflection which you've not grown up knowing how to hear. There are certainly Northern/Southern accents that differ but they're both closer to fuh than foe, at least the first "syllable" of it. If you pronounce it slowly it can sound like two syllables but that is the inflection/tone (it looks like half a question mark attached to the o), and some people do speak more slowly in some areas of Vietnam than others so that sense of being two syllables is more noticeable to someone who's ear is not trained to hear and interpret it as one sound.

Videos of people saying "fuh" and Vietnamese people saying they're wrong are because they're saying it without the inflection. In Vietnamese each vowel sound is really 6 different vowel sounds. So if you say "fuh" without any inflection, it's wrong. If you say "fuh" with a simple upward, downward, or sharp downward inflection, you're wrong. It's a medium low dip then rise in inflection, that dip then rise is what is kind of like two syllables. There's another two "syllable" tone that is a higher tone then rising which is even trickier to distinguish.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Follow Strategic Hospitality (the restaurant group that owns Catbird) on twitter, they occasionally have a reservation open up they tweet about but I guess they'd go to their wait list first. But if you're willing to make any more impromptu trips...

Husk is indeed great and they have a great bar too. Without a reservation you can typically find a seat at the bar for lunch. Get their fried chicken and the plate of southern vegetables. Lisa Donovan is no longer the pastry chef there but when she was, the desserts were not to be missed. They're probably still good.

Nashville has had a lot of casual fine dining places open in the last few years, I'd recommend any of Rolf and Daughters, City House, the 404 Kitchen and Lockeland Table. Reservations recommended for all of them but Rolf and Daughters has a communal table that is first come first serve or can try the bar at City House. Josephine is another similar type place where you can eat at the bar without a res.

Remember that Prince's has weirdish hours and is cash only. I also like both Pepperfire (where you can also get a deep fried grilled cheese with hot chicken spices) and Hattie B's too which are easier to get to. Some people are not so big on the Hattie B's chicken but they do have the best sides and they serve beer.

Actual Food at the POP pop-up restaurant space has a great brunch. Sinema for fancy brunch.

There's a bunch of newish places I haven't been to yet: Union Common, the Sutler (more a music venue but food's supposed to be good), Adele's, Prima.

I always recommend Jeni's ice cream for visitors to Nashville but they have that in Atlanta now.

Patterson House is the speakeasy type bar that is run by the Catbird Seat people (it's right below Catbird). There's always a wait but if you're out late then head there at like 12/1am and there probably won't be a long wait.

Here's a map of stuff I put together when I got married and had a lot of out of town guests: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zLLPt3Vw2H38.kzlDYdmedUoQ

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I haven't been to Charleston Husk but from what I hear, since both are very regional ingredient driven, seafood is more of a standout there while beef and vegetables are bigger in the Nashville location. Oh, also Nashville Husk has a really good burger if you're like me and want to try all the good burgers. Burger and fried chicken at Husk are lunch time only I forgot to mention. Even though Nashville is the second location, Sean Brock is here all the time based on what I see him post on twitter and that I've seen him at the restaurant three or four times of the dozen or so times I've been there.

If I had to choose, on a Saturday I'd do Husk for lunch (or I guess brunch), then Prince's for mid-day meal (as they don't open til 2pm on Sat), then Rolf and Daughters for later dinner. Also be sure to block 1-1.5 hours for Prince's on a Saturday, there's always a line, even right at 2 when they open.

Alternatively on weekends Prince's is open til 4am. It's not considered a great area of town though.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

:barf:

That looks like so loving horrible. Thanks for taking one for the team.

I'm guessing cuz of the location this is also stupid expensive for that slop

I had some friends who went there for the same reason as Doh004 and friends and you are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
wheez, that sounds excellent. One thing is that I would make sure to have an additional way to sear the burgers on hand. You can't searzall a lot of things at once and you won't want to get really backed up on the sliders. You could start searing them on a griddle while searzalling from the top, then when flip touch up sear with the searzall.