Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

pile of brown posted:

I use banana in mine too! Just like noish-pa used to

bananas
EVOO
shallots
banana peppers
curly parsley
tamarind pulp
pickled persimmons
pink himalayan salt
chinese peppercorns

I got high once and my school janitor rode in on a unicorn and gave me a stone tablet with this written on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

dino. posted:

I looked at the calendar, and it's only eight more months until Christmas! I can't wait to make this one a testament to how much I love Puppy. He's been an especially good boy this year, and Santa has lots of lovely things planned. Money's a little tight this year, so I figure if I start saving now, I can buy him some cool stuff that he's been eyeing, and make a few things too. That way, he doesn't have to just rely on my lame hand-made gifts, and can have some things that he deserves. God drat, how did I get so fortunate to have such an amazing man?

y'all are seriously the happiest married couple I know

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Okonomiyaki owns. Eat it.

In surprised there was no katsuobushi and kewpie at the very end. They typically drizzle/sprinkle it on after brushing the sweet soy glaze.

I'm hungry as hell right now and I'd eat two of these and I don't even know what the hell I just watched

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

The hardware store sells spent whisky barrel halves for planters. That's wicked awesome, so I got one and transplanted half the herbs that survived the winter into it.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I see that there. posted:

Man I made biscuits today using my sourdough starter and some lard cut into the flour.
poo poo came out civil war hard tack. Some times you lose some, I guess.

Did you add baking powder / soda? I had great success using greek yogurt as my acidic enrichment last time I made biscuits. Sourdough starter is plenty slack, but you might want to augment the tartness with that.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

hahahaha you sucker

e: in all seriousness, congrats. Being married is pretty fun.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Just threw a bbq party for at least 30 people last night. Woke up drunk and full, so I think that went well and there's reasonably little mess remaining in the kitchen and the bar.

Also made BBQ sauce from scratch for the first time. I like the results. I will call it Whiskey Tangy Foxsauce

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I had the guests cover the sides, so I could work as little as possible :) Someone made pimiento cheese grits which was a great idea.

Despite trying to kill my guests with pounds of memphis style bbq, I still have a fridge full of pulled pork. That poo poo feeds an army!

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Do you use a stovetop smoker? I got one for christmas and haven't put it to the test yet. Alder wood?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

How hard can it really be to find Alder? I have three BRANDS of Alder to pick from in my country bumpkin Alabama Publix store.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

You're (to my knowledge) not a Yankees fan and you don't have a NYC accent so you're safe.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

poo poo left over at my house after our weekend party:

half a butterscotch cake
half a bigass strawberry shortcake
four strawberry cupcakes
Four pounds of sliced green tomatoes
Eight pounds of pulled pork
bunch of texas toast
crock full of pimiento cheese
half a bowl of cole slaw
two tiny beer kegs
2 gallons of vodka
a fifth of tequila

Every time I throw these parties I always come out way more in the black than I ought to

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

My party this weekend devolved into drunks eating miracle berry tabs and then devouring all the sour stuff in the house.

Yeah, lemons and limes are great, yeah tamarind paste is awesome, but I got full off of slices of green tomato, mmmm.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

sharing on Facebook.

:barf:

The recipes people share on Facebook are like the dregs of horrible suburban white people chow.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

http://www.woot.com/plus/guy-fieri-cutlery

welp.

"Battle Station" knife block ffs. :psyboom:

"Oh what a great price!"

(Buys a gross of real lovely gross knives) :bravo:

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Went to a place tonight that was selling belgian tripels by 42 ounce glasses. Bad idea for the day completed!

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Homebrew bill is on the special calendar today in Alabama's senate. Pass drat you!!!

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Homebrew bill is on the special calendar today in Alabama's senate. Pass drat you!!!

PASSED!

All we have left is for Governor Bentley to sign and it's done. All 50 states will be legal to brew in.

And best of all since HB-9 is effective immediately, we'll still be in before Mississippi.

Suck it, Mississippi.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I have like $500 worth of homebrew merch in my amazon cart, waiting for the ink to dry on Governor Bentley's desk. Gonna suck to bite that overhead shock but I've never looked forward to being so poor.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Allahu Snackbar posted:

PASSED!

All we have left is for Governor Bentley to sign and it's done. All 50 states will be legal to brew in.

And best of all since HB-9 is effective immediately, we'll still be in before Mississippi.

Suck it, Mississippi.

Signed into law as of 6PM CST today :911:

Getting ready to fire a massive amazon order into the abyss.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

I feel like this is a golden business opportunity if you live in a big enough city.

open a brew shop.

See, here is the bizarre part. We have several here. They just randomly get raided by the ABC board and their wares seized. Even though it has been a felony, it's been enforced in such a ticky-tack nonconsistent way that if you didn't know it was a felony you could easily assume it was fine to do so.

I did let my brew shop know about the governor's signing like 2 hours after it happened, which was a funny moment lol.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Dino probably has the happiest married life of anybody I know, myself included. Not to say that mine's not happy, but it's just a benchmark to shoot for :love:

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Had probably the best leberwurst ever at mother's day dinner. Bonus - the restaurant sells said leberwurst by the pound.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

To celebrate my state repealing homebrew prohibition, I bought myself a shirt appropriate for my future in creating mind-altering consumables in the comfort of my own home.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Vegetable Melange posted:

Everyone likes falafel. Or they're wrong. Whichever.

To be a devil's advocate there is a lot of tremendously lovely falafel out there, and if somebody gets a bad one, it can really ruin their whole experience.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I am not sure I understand what the One True Falafel is supposed to be like. I was talking about this to a friend the other day - I've had lots of falafel, and I have liked most of it - but I don't think I've ever had any falafel that just makes me go like 'woah, that's a loving good falafel, I could eat that 7x a week!'

I've made it myself a few times - it can be more or less flavorful, have more or less of a crunch, be more or less dense, I just don't think I've found the alpha recipe yet or something.

(I'm contrasting this to like, döner, or some salads I really love, or some awesome rice dishes or whatever, which I could totally eat 7x a week)

{or in the case of döner, which I did eat 7x a week at points}

Best falafel I ever had was from this syrian expat guy years ago who ran a shop near my work. He'd comp me free tea and bullshit about Alabama football, and he served falafel that had the look (and mouthfeel) of southern skillet sausage. Crispy on the outside but meaty and supple within. The round ones are okay, but whatever he did to make his falafel, I have no idea what it was, but it owned.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

:psyduck:. Anyone got a link to this episode, or wanna give a rundown of what happened? I'm curious, this sounds crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LY7TJ16pg

I just watched it. It's pretty loving mindblowing.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

My second cheddar was passed around to rave reviews around work. Creamier consistency, a little milder, but a lot better in almost every respect. The lower caving temperature helped a shitload. Now that I have an external thermostat, I should be able to park every cheese I make at a sweet spot.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I took the spent grain from my first batch of homebrew and made tabbouleh with it :unsmith: it was a pleasant bonus!

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

feel better, Dino :(

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I don't know the last bread that I made that didn't have depleted brewing grains mixed into the dough. It's been my favorite "waste not, want not" thing for the past few months at least.

I probably need to start actually cooking again, rather than cooking lazy.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

the42ndtourist posted:

Really? Don't the grain husks bother you? When I tried that I couldn't get past the husks. Or do you grind your grain fine enough that the husks aren't so noticeable?

Fiber, yo

I mean I occasionally pick some husk from my teeth on a rare occasion but it's not much of a nuisance. I just try and knead flour only into a very firm dough before adding the grain so some gluten strands develop first. Very flavorful bread

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just had such a great southern dinner. Greens slow cooked all day, home made mac and cheese, liver and onions, iced tea. There is something deeply satisfying about eating that sort of food with the family around the table, the doors of the house all open, bluegrass on the radio, and light fading over the western mountains. Country life is the best life.

I went to a barbecue cook off at one of our breweries last week and someone had collards going in a cauldron with some conecuh sausage as a side offering to their pulled pork. Their barbecue was completely forgettable but those greens were drat near some of the best I've ever tasted. Seasoned perfectly, cooked as al dente as I've ever had. I wish I skipped their BBQ entirely and got a second helping of collards oh man

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Croatoan posted:

The best part of greens that have been cooking all day is the pot likker. When I make my kale I prefer that over the actual greens, so good.

I keep wanting to remember to reserve some the next time I do greens to add to a Bloody Mary mix. I bet it would be crazy good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Finally my mandoline has tasted my blood and hopefully drank it's fill.