Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Drink and Fight posted:

I don't think I want to make chickenade.

gently caress chickenade, make chicken ale.

The Complete Joy of Home Brewing posted:

In order to make this take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better. Parboil the cock, flay him and stamp him in a stone mortar till his bones are broken (you must craw and gut him when you flay him), then put the cock into 2 quarts of sac [sixteenth-century dry Spanish white wine], and put to it 3 pounds of raisins of the sun stoned, some blades of mace, a few cloves; put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has done working, put the ale and a bag together into a vessel; in a week or 9 days bottle it up, fill the bottles but just above the neck, and give it the same time to ripen as other ale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Wait til you try cumin.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 5, 2012

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

dino. posted:

Anyone got and suggestions for new ones?

The Smartest Man in the World with Greg Proops. Even if you didn't find him funny on any TV shows, he is amazingly quick-witted and hilarious. Each podcast is a taping of his traveling show where he reads the news, recites poetry, spins yarns about the Seventies, explores history, musicians, baseball, drugs and leftist politics. Here's the thread on it.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

One packet of brewer's yeast can be cultured to last quite a long time. Each packet can be used for up to five generations, with each generation making enough to have four amounts (~6-8 oz of slurry) to be used in the next generation.

1st Generation (1 use) - 2nd generation (4 uses) - 3rd gen (16) - 4th gen (64) - 5th gen (256).

341 uses out of one packet.

Assuming a 1L starter per batch (5g) on average, that requires 4 oz of dried malt extract.

Buying at 3 pounds, it's $1 per starter.

At 50 pounds, it's $135 for the DME. That's $0.68 per batch for 200 batches. Much better than $6 a batch, if you have the refrigerator space to store each and don't mind using the same yeast for every beer.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Dear LJ,

Don't switch from Pimm's Cups to Dixie Beer.

P.S. Muffaleta was worth it.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

I dunno, best martini I had was a glass rinsed with vodka, vodka shaken with ice and topped off with an ounce of pickle juice.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Actually it's simpler broscience than that. Alcohol is a solvent; it dissolves grease. If you feed it enough grease, it's too busy dissolving that to dissolve your brain cells, intestinal lining, etc.

Also eggs are a great hangover breakfast because the yolks contain compounds that help the liver do the heavy lifting with late-phase alcohol metabolism. Big starchy things like potatoes help with this as well, because acetic acid is vinegar and malt vinegar goes very well with potatoes.

So I just ate 18 tacos, one part lengua, one part tripa, one part pastor. Also washed down with a tamarindo 16oz. Is this correct

edit: Feels like it was a roaring success. Looking at the menu now, the 20 taco platter came with a pitcher of horchata. Not sure how my companions dropped the ball on that.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 9, 2012

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Fondued cockerel is the most famous dish of the ancient Catalonian dynasty.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm holding a remembrance service for it this weekend

Are you selling off your bacon stores??

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Pound cake and raw milk = heaven.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

FishBulb posted:

Maybe they're looking for the easy way out.

Happy Festivus.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Lithgow in real life or Lithgow in Buckaroo Bonzai?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Whiskey smash is the most should-be-American-standard drink.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

the correct answer to the question 'Do you play golf?' Most certainly is not 'No, my wife and I are still sexually active'!

Stealing this thanks.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

contrapants posted:

The kind you eat with crackers?

Yes, who else would bring it?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

This is a good article about how disgust an attribute that is taught, rather than inherent.

edit: found a better article

icehewk fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 10, 2014

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Is that a hotdog bun?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

See ya

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

mindphlux posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder if there could (maybe) be some correlation here........ :allears:

also no, that sounds like basically a problem I can't even fathom. I travel to eat food I wouldn't otherwise eat, that's like 80% of the point. the other 20% being to see things I wouldn't otherwise see.

but what do you eat when you don't travel

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Doh004 posted:

Icehewk no touching!

This is really appropriate guys

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Things are a bit different in these parts.

:clint:

Wiggles, state government is a public, democratically elected entity used to manage good and services to meet the needs of/subjugate the people, as necessary. Typically a good source of entertaining hijinx for all involved. Think of a larger, more obtuse agri-supply.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 6, 2014

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Echeveria posted:

:( I know but my allergy is significant enough that just ignoring it isn't an option.

What about ghee?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah dude, I'm down. I haven't eaten at the hotel ever. Is it worth a stop from what you hear? Looks like it's under new ownership soon.

And as much poo poo as I talk about super clubs, I've enjoyed the good ones I've been to. I just don't have any decent ones nearby.

I'm in.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

“Even when she wasn’t at her prettiest, I was attracted to her. Patsy’s body made up for the rest on those occasions. She was built like a brick shithouse. When she moved the earth shaked. I couldn’t take my eyes off her body. Ah, she had a figure like an hourglass And what an rear end. She looked good. I had other motives than just her being on my show. Oh, she knew what I was thinking. There wasn’t no doubt what I was up to.”
— Faron Young, on thickeners.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nobu is not nearly as good as raku.

Lotus is still my favourite Thai in town.

There was a great little Afghan place I went to last time I was in town, I want to say off of flamingo, next to a jiffy lube or something. Very casual lunch place, very authentic. Will try to remember the name.

Zaytoon?

icehewk fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 12, 2014

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

When the gently caress is someone going to make a proper schwarzbier? Shiner is okay and Kostritzer always tastes past its prime.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Sharp knives are such a delight. Now would be a good time to sharpen, wouldn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One Brad
One Vindaloo

Combine and enjoy.

Tried this and it came out great but substituted jarred turkey gravy for the vindaloo.