Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gluten allergy, but not celiac's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

I'll eat 8oz of straight mustard the night before and make it my ICSA entry.

Call your entry Cooking Fundamentally

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think I want to try that. How long under the broiler, or do you just eyeball it?

Would pressure cooking chicken thighs take about the same amount of time?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I bought a mini oven because my main oven has one of those broilers that's on the bottom and has no window. When I broiled with it, it was either opening it up every 30 seconds and checking or else it would come out vulcanized.

edit: VVVV hmm, maybe I should've tried that

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 21, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
:cool: Hmm I wonder what's going on this fine morning in GWS, I hope there's more talk of tasty foods and mouth watering recipes...

mindphlux posted:

defecating rivers of yellowish watery poo poo, a

:barf:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Going to test that poo poo tonight, son.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Knowing you americans, that is probably something that you will then forcibly insert into your urethra, and then ejaculate it across the room at a midget woman spinning on a turntable, while chanting the lyrics of 'Dancing queen'.

That is a steamer!
Probably NWS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEGtwJuZIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSpe0GUfG4Y

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 4, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This was my 4th of July
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fg5_KO8OjE

Mortar firework failed to launch, blew up 15 feet from me.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 5, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I thought I made a post but apparently I didn't.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440&pagenumber=48#post405304637

You're still drunk, aren't you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache

Not conclusive, but they say tannins are a possible culprit. California reds also tend to be higher in tannins than French.

I once went to a wine festival in LA and ended up getting a hangover without getting drunk.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I missed out on all of the EmeraldCity drama. What was this about trying to cheat kids out of a competition?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Dirty bourgeois rats trying to buy votes and stomp kids who have diseases, that's what.

Link?

Edit: nevermind, found the competition thread

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 8, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

That's probably a bad idea if you have an element down there.
Why is that?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That thing on the bottom, the really curvy wire. Kinda looks like a lower-case M. That's every electric oven's heating element that I've ever, ever seen.

Yeah, so... if my oven has a covered heating element on the bottom it should be okay to leave a pizza stone or stone tile on the bottom, right? (Mine's gas and the heating element is actually in the broiler section, with holes that let the heat up into the main oven chamber).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My local Costco started carrying whole lambs. Where the hell do you store something like this

http://i.imgur.com/SZrKJ.jpg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Dirty Phil posted:

Whoa that is awesome, what area Costco are you going to? I haven't been a member for a while because I used to live 5 minutes walking from an awesome grocery store, but now that I moved things are different. Things like this might convince me to become a member again...
Burbank

I think you're just supposed to sous vide it in your bathtub.
Trying to think when was the last time I cleaned my bathtub...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There's been a recent trend in the LA area's Chinese dessert shops towards "shaved snow" which is shaved flakes of ice cream instead of ice. The ice cream they use is more watery than regular ice cream I think, possibly to maintain the desired flakey texture.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
As a Christian I find it incredibly annoying that people spend their whole lives growing up learning about Jesus and somehow concluded that he wants us to pick on and harass those who are already picked on and harassed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Finally I can be an expert sushi chef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY3QygknqNU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's 1955, I think oregano was hot stuff at the time because all the vets who came back from tasting awesome Italian food in WW2. In fact maybe it was even put in this dish because it was a big fad!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 6, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Don't forget most people of that generation would have purchased their spices with their spice rack.

Isn't that generation the same as this generation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/ads/8.jpg

Wow.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

An observer posted:

also, this is apparently a Mexican dish:

It actually might be. I didn't know until I moved to the Latino part of North Hollywood, but Mexicans have their own version of bad mid-western home cooking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Found at the 99¢ store.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So.... was there a rock, or was it knee deep?

Were there any injuries?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There are some things that are very annoyingly region-restricted however. You can't buy any of the borosilicate Pyrexes from Amazon UK and have them shipped to the US.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

On another note, are you saying Pyrex dishes come in borosilicate in the UK? My housemate accidentally turned on a burner underneath a Pyrex dish on the stove, and the thing literally exploded into hundreds of pieces. There were no piece smaller than a walnut, it was a pretty spectacular failure. I was facing away from the dish (thankfully), I heard a big explosion and all I could think was "where the hell did all this ice come from?". I bet even the old kind would have blown up, but maybe less spectacularly.

Yes, Pyrex in the UK is borosilicate (or supposed to be, at least). The way your friend's Pyrex shattered makes it sound like it was made of tempered glass instead of borosilicate. Tempered glass explodes into zillions of pieces, borosilicate will break into large pieces.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 15, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Chiming in to third that Bruxie love, esp that prosciutto thing with the mustard seeds and gruyere

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Man Testes United

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have here a jar of MSG, and when I try it, it tastes like concentrated mushrooms.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Any preference for food?

Deep dish pizza is one of Chicago's regional specialties. If you wanna try that, Gino's East or Giordano's.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://wherethefuckshouldigotoeat.com/

Not by the same people as http://whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

No offense but the first 4 things that website recommended for me were Einstein Brothers Bagels, Burger King, Sweet Tomatoes and loving Chipotle. Based on that I wouldn't recommend anyone use it for anything, especially in a place like Chicago.

Yeah, a friend of a friend was trying it out in NY, and she got 1) Subway, 2) Dunkin Donuts, 3) some chicken stand. What a waste of a URL.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Where is there?

And don't say something stupid like "in my dreams"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My sister has a front loader and she complains that it gets mildewy because the door is not conducive to letting moisture evaporate out. She has to keep the door open all the time to prevent funk. Might be something to keep an eye out for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Went to Muriel's

I have an announcement to make: New Orleans has some loving fantastic food.

Their coffee? Eh...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

cafe du mond isn't so bad. Worth the line for the beignets.

Wasn't terribly impressed with them. They use pre-made mix, doesn't cook evenly, throw on too much sugar. I've had better ones in Los Angeles at Grand Lux Cafe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Being as I spent the week in NOLA two sheets to the wind, it may have been a sentimental thing.

Well I asked around about it more, and people said that the beignets used to be made from scratch but that with rising tourism they couldn't keep up with demand and switched to the box mix.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Worst thing? I started dating a vegetarian (former vegan) who says she'd eat beef or bacon before she'd eat Indian food. Goddammit.

So... what are the chances of converting her back to a meatetarian again

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
National Liberal Party of Denmark?

or...

Nipple Legitimacy Pretense!