Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i do all my cooking in artisanal cured plastic recovered from the great pacific garbage patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

just loving lol at your overpriced temperature controllers and tiny rear end crock pots

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

how do you guys feel about PewDiePie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi6eop4nDhw&t=40s

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

What does GWS buy at the grocery store to prepare for a week+ of free time without power or groceries after a hurricane?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Thirding the cooler + ice combo. Ready to eat meats if you don't have heat. Whatever you want if you do. That's aside from any dry snacks you'd want. Stay safe and good luck. How far inland are you?

I am just north of where the NC/VA line crashes into the ocean, a stone's throw from both the ocean and the bay. I actually have a generator and a gas grill but if I have to evacuate those don't help much.

Really though Ive done this before and I know how to do it; the question for GWS is how to do it well, to have the best food in my FEMA refugee camp.

E: also, the one thing all of you are forgetting is bleach. Gotta be able to sanitize your kitchen after the sewage goes down or it'll just make you sick

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 10, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i made a list of the things i need to buy while I'm up today and here it is

• rolling papers
  • dutch masters
  • lighters
  • handle of whiskey
  • 2 cases of beer
  • coffee filters

did I forget anything?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm gonna learn watercolors and work my way through the entire domestically available Knorr catalog.

Y'all got camping stoves, right? Because a camping stove is a good thing to have.

in a pinch you can make a beer can into a pretty good stove that burns everclear or denatured alcohol

https://www.instructables.com/id/Alcohol-Can-penny-stove/

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

On the one hand that's cool, on the other a sevenfold upcharge to take advantage of the old and/or disabled is kinda hosed up

They're taking advantage of people who are too lazy to peel an onion, which is fine

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Was it this chat thread or a different GWS thread that someone posted a link to a recipe extension for skipping the 10,000 word useless blog posts between the recipe we actually searched for and the top of the page?

I went back a few pages and can't seem to find it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I guarantee there is not curry leaf in their curry spice mix. These people would be insane to sell a curry mix that doesn't taste like every other curry mix, and other curry mixes don't have curry leaves.

660 curries has a whole blurb about how madras curry powder is not really even Indian and was invented by the east india company for the English, and then begrudgingly offers a madras curry powder recipe and 3 recipes in case what you really want is a sad british curry (and also notes that they'd be better with one of the garam masalas instead). It's never had curry leaf in it (curry leaf isn't a dry/ground spice anyway, it's like a bay leaf you use fresh, best bought frozen in the west).

e: note that garam masala is even less specific, as this just translates to "warming spice" and wildly different blends and flavors are used in different regions of india. the vaguely pumpkin pie garam masala most people are familiar with is just a punjabi incarnation

ee: would recommend 660 Curries to anyone who wants to get past the spice blends- it prescribes only whole spices, or spice blends you grind yourself from whole spices. It was v educational for me, and whole spices have a much longer shelf life anyway.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 28, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

put a splash of shaoxing wine in the eggs :twisted:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Everclear is illegal in my state except with a license, which can be granted for industrial, commercial, culinary or medicinal uses. I mostly just want to buy a bottle to experiment w/ CBD tinctures without having to drive to new jersey, but I don't really want to mention cannabis on my application. What are some plausible culinary uses? Pepper extracts?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I bought a bunch of $.99/lb pork shoulders at food lion a few weeks ago, made some kenji green chili and pulled pork, froze one, broke a couple down and froze them in smaller quantities for curries or w/e and froze the bones for soup. Everything smelled fine and was delicious. That's my cheap supermarket pork story

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Is there a gws discord?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If a chicken is going to make the ultimate sacrifice so you can eat you should be willing to eat the whole thing, even the bones

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I dunno how you guys live without homemade stock all year round. There are a few asian markets near me that butcher chickens in the store and sell the bones and feet, and that poo poo plus whatever bones I've got in the freezer makes killer stock for about the price of garbage store brand chicken water. I can dilute it 50% and still stand a spoon in it when it's cold. There's no going back from that.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I often think about buying the 3 pound organic chicken for a moment before I select a 5.5lb miracle chicken for a dollar less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Jalapenos are great for when you want just a little spice but not the heartburn.

I had a jalapeno plant last year because someone gave me one and I was blown away by how tasty they were after i forgot about them for a while and they mostly ripened past green to red. They were sweet, fruity and delicious, much better than all the other jalapenos I've ever eaten.