Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well hello chat thread. I didn't see you there.

Has anything interesting happened in the last 450 posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic! I'll check back in another 500 posts.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing bourgeois about ordering poo poo from the internet. Bourgeois is going to Nordstrom and having a personal shopper assigned to you.

Ordering poo poo from the internet is the new proletariat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh and read this to see what it's like to work in order fulfillment from one of those online places.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"I had a botched penile reduction" would be a great excuse for having a small dick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Do you think about that a lot?

I don't need to, I'm married.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DU dinner guns represents.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even when I make a giant pot of stock, once I get done straining, skimming and reducing, I'm left with a couple quarts at most. which is probably like 5 or 6 ice cube trays. Worst case, you freeze it in batches. And I generally don't freeze all of it, as I will use some the week I make it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i shoot friendlies posted:

You can skip the whole ice cube step, if you want. just pour it in a ziplock bag and freeze it. Takes up less space that way, usually.

But then you can't portion it out. That's the whole point of ice cube trays.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

what

I put mine in sandwich bag sized ziplocks, which is usually exactly how much I want for a sauce or whatever. and then one or two bigger ziplocks for soups.

I lay them flat on a sheet tray to freeze, so when they're frozen they stand up like books and I can just stack a row of them side by side

Yeah but that's not really what the other guy was indicating. Plus, your way wastes a lot of ziploc bags which is bad for the environment.

bad bad bad

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gross gross gross

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i shoot friendlies posted:

I said a ziplock bag, not a trash bag. Ziplock bags are standard sizes. You use a measuring cup and pour a cup or two in each bag.

Yes you said a ziploc bag not multiple ziploc bags. Now whether multiple ziploc bags take up less room than one bag with a bunch of stock cubes in it, I don't know. But I was replying to what you said, not what you were thinking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You guys that enjoy reusing stuff that was designed to be disposable will love these.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to go through a shitload of paper towels whenever I cooked, so I now I just pull 2 or 3 side towels out when I start cooking and toss them in the laundry as they get contaminated.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Darval posted:

I've heard a lot about Sriracha sauce, but never actually tried it before today. Holy poo poo. It burns. Burns so good

That's great but don't become one of those people who thinks they have to put sriracha on everything. Not everything needs to taste like sriracha.

Besides, sriracha is for proles. Sambal oelek is where tha flavor at.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My lovely beer of choice in college was Cool Colt 45 for a while. It was a mint flavored malt liquor, and it was as awful as you'd imagine. The only thing it had going for it was a market near my apartment that didn't ID and sold 40s for $.79. When malt liquor is cheaper than soda, it's a no brainer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget to tip 15%, 20% if she talked dirty.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The boy scouts still hate gays, jews, and (unofficially) black people. The girl scouts are much more progressive, and have been in the news lately because of their more worldly views on religion, gender and sexuality.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well as you may know Macaroni, the us boy scouts have more recently been taken over by the mormons, so I don't know if that makes them more or less progressive. I was just going off their devoutly christian leaning, and the fact that at the two troops I checked out when I was kid, I heard scout leaders saying racist things. I never joined because of that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't you need peanut butter?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never heard of using flour in mustard.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never made mustard, but uncooked flour doesn't belong in anything.

In conclusion, eat the eggs ricola.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey baby you want a drink from my fupa?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not a cooking injury, but I sliced off the tip of my thumb all the way to the bone with a paper cutter. Painful? You betcha.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can everyone please put their dicks away.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah DnF, put your dick away.

Not cool dude.

Dnf, you can leave your dick out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every few months I make a trip to the Asian market and buy sauces that I don't recognize, or haven't used before. I'm going to get some with the pissed off Chinese woman today, anything else that's kind of out there I should try?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

You've done XO sauce already?

I have not, but I will.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All my luggage is Briggs & Riley, and it's awesome. They also have a crazy warranty which even covers you if the airline damages it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So...do any of you native New Englanders have a whoopie pie recipe you'd like to share? My wife has decided to make some, and I'd rather go with a trusted recipe than a random internet recipe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 13, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes please!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Add a pinch of xanthum gum, just like grandma used to.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

What's the technique here? I always build the sabayon (egg yolk and water) over heat (first whisking to add volume, then over heat until it starts to thicken) and then remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, then a little lemon. Are you blitzing everything with the blender and then heating the finished sauce?

Build it like a mayo. Egg yolks and liquid in the food processor, blitz, then add melted butter in a stream with it running.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She probably does now too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phummus posted:

how to make whoopie

Thanks! Any idea what the point of the boiling water and (i assume baking) soda part at the end is for?

Also, any insight on the filling process would be appreciated. Maybe creme everything but the whites together, then add the whites like you would to a mousse (in thirds)?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That makes sense. Although I may try the filling with meringue powder since I'll be giving it to at least one of my kids

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I already have meringue powder. I've also pasteurized my own eggs before, so I have that option as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

So I'm still not too sure about the blender hollandaise, but hollandaise in the puddle machine is pretty much falling-off-a-log easy and comes out just so.

Method?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any of you guys have a discount code for the sous vide demi? Need to get one as a wedding gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My daughter busted open her chin when she was 3 and the ER doc glued it shut. Said it was quicker and less painful than stitches.