Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

GrAviTy84 posted:

to be fair, Irwindale is kind of the middle of nowhere. I mean, they host the Renaissance Faire there...

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/business/Sriracha-Kenney-Philadelphia-Plan-233637831.html

They're moving to Philly. Apparently no one would notice the smell there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So if Elton John goes into a coma is he a fruit or a vegetable?

:downsrim:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Midniter posted:

Rent a cabin here, enjoy their delicious homemade granola, hike Max Patch, and fill your face with food from good places in Asheville during the day. Also close to the Biltmore (boooooorrrriing) if that's your thing, and Pisgah National Forest.

Seconded. Cúrate is tits.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

GrAviTy84 posted:

anyone have experience using sourdough starters in bread machines?

I tried it once for the hell of it with no dry yeast and it was way under fermented. I guess you could up the levain content and eventually get something that would rise properly, but all the proper recipes I've seen just cheat and use dry yeast in conjunction with levain. Really at that point, I think you're better off using unfed starter just to get the flavor and letting the dry yeast do the work since active starter has a much less pronounced flavor. For pure levain bread I've gone entirely to overnight ferments or proofs anyhow so I don't see any value in trial and erroring a breadmaker recipe with active starter.

I'd love to be proven wrong if anyone has done or wants to do the work though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hauki posted:

no comment:

Juniper berries and thyme?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mr. Wiggles posted:

using a slow cooker to make pulled pork.

Ok, this is going too far.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

pro starcraft loser posted:

I just made a super simple sauce after sauteing some fish and its so easy but good and I feel fancy and what the gently caress have I been doing why havent I tried this before??

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCjnUt88xg&t=19s

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
As a twenty year old who just moved out of my parents house I feel qualified to criticize chefs who have been in the industry for twenty years because

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Not likely, I don't take my kids to nice restaurants for the menu, I take them to annoy people like you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Counterpoint:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Post avatar combo so good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

al-azad posted:

It's weird that I can't find a rice-to-water ratio in weight. We've got the science of brewing coffee down to an exact 1/16 grams of coffee to water but the sagely wisdom for rice is still twice the water, making certain you use the same device for dry ounces to fluid ounces so you get that nice pudding texture as the kernels blow out and fuse together in a homogeneous lump of starch.

Maybe you can't, but Zojirushi sure can.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Would depend on the sandwich I guess. I could see it being a good replacement for tomato when they're out of season on a BLT or club sandwich?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Cookout is a good regional chain.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Tournedos Rossini

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Force de Fappe posted:

I'm trying to wrap my mind around pimento cheese, unsuccessfully.

The medium is important. I prefer town house crackers.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

So, please don't dox me ... but this stupid gay comedy forum helped me form a relationship with my stepdaughter with cooking. One of the first serious cooking projects we did together was the absolutely ridiculous chicken-cheese thread here in Goons With Spoons where we did sous-vide chicken breasts with homemade pasta and an alfredo sauce, and that has led to her becoming quite the accomplished pasta maker and baker. She was featured on tonight's MasterChef episode and got a white apron from Gordon Ramsey. Thank you all for the education.

Wow, congratulations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

GrAviTy84 posted:

for how much I shamed people for not cooking for themselves years ago, I rarely cook these days, and when I do, it's not nearly as enjoyable as it used to be. Adulting sucks. Commuting sucks. Most days I just want food to magically appear so yeah, we eat out a lot.

Wait'll you have kids. :smithicide:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Scientastic posted:

I have kids, and we cook for them every day and eat dinner together as a family...

Congratulations.

We both work and commute so time is tight. We still manage to get by with a combination of cooking and buying prepared stuff on the way home. Weekends we all cook together and do prep for the week, but weekdays can be stressful.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Au contraire!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tired Moritz posted:

idk boiled chicken skin is like ughh. I'm more of a fan of the rice and the soup.

I agree.

I typed up the recipe I use at home on the wiki a while back. I fry the skins and use them as garnish.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Khao_Man_Gai

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Croatoan posted:

Gribenes are god drat delicious.

Yes, yes they are.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Also difficult to get right. I resorted to fried because I couldn't nail it consistently.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SubG posted:

Hainanese chicken is good but by favourite boiled chicken dish is oyakodon.

This is hosed up.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Scientastic posted:

My hangovers are getting worse and worse, to the extent that a glass of wine with dinner gives me a headache the next day. I am trying various cures to see what helps, and there are a couple of very promising avenues. One thing I haven’t tried is a prairie oyster, which I kind of just want to try anyway, regardless of efficacy.

One thing I want to know is this: in principle, is there any reason I couldn’t make it the night before and have it waiting in the fridge when I get up?

Prarie oysters work for me. Also, I don't think it's possible to get a hangover off a glass of wine, you might be having bigger general hydration issues.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Croatoan posted:

Holy poo poo I love mustard. My favorite is usually Lowensenf Extra but yesterday my butcher recommended Zakuson because I wanted something hotter and wow this is the hottest mustard I've ever had. It's gonna be good on brats but not gonna use too much because wow will it open up your sinuses. Also I love that the logo is an disapproving Russian lady in a babushka. What's your favorite mustard? In my fridge I currently have:

Zakuson
Lowensenf
Dijon
Honey Mustard
Plochman's Yellow Mustard
Spicy brown
Inglehoffer Stone ground
Coleman's (english and dry is in my spices)

I think I have a mustard problem.

Have you ever tried Chinese mustard?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Croatoan posted:

Sure but never one as hot as disapproving Russian lady in a babushka brand. Got a recommendation?

Nope, just asking.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Force de Fappe posted:

Pro-click AF, Chinese head chef started his own YouTube channel and basically just lays down all the classics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCd0HTXtlvY

This owns.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Summer sausage, cheddar cheese and town house crackers.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Croatoan posted:

It can be but there's another meaning. It's also a cocktail with a raw egg, worcestershire, tabasco and a bit of salt and pepper. They're pretty good but I don't like raw egg whites much so I omit that part if I ever have one.

I always thought you were only supposed to use the yolk.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Like so:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

therattle posted:

My brother gave me MC@H, and it’s a great gift but my wife is a vegetarian. I’m thinking of selling it.

Keep the book, ditch the wife imo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Scientastic posted:

My best years are very clearly behind me

That post is one to tell your grandkids about.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The thread in question: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842683

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I. M. Gei posted:

Sooo my mom died this morning... and right now I’m trying to think of threads where I can post that without typing up a wall of text about it.

I’m gonna make an E/N thread but the OP will be long and I just don’t have it in me to type that out right now.

Ah poo poo dude, I'm sorry.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I should have said this sooner, but your tragedy kind of brought it into focus.

I've always enjoyed your posting and your willingness to throw yourself out there which is a courage a lot of people on this forum don't possess. You've always been eager to listen and learn, and even more than that you've done so.

I wish you the absolute best, and I can tell you with confidence your parents are proud of you because I, a random rear end in a top hat on the internet, am also proud of you. You're a credit to this forum.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Don't be surprised if you have some PTSD-like symptoms. Especially if it was sudden and unexpected. Even when things settle down a little more, you may have trouble sleeping, nightmares, greater anxiety, panic attacks, etc. I'm not trying to scare you, because you might not have anything like that! But I did with a very unexpected death in my family, and it was like holy poo poo, what's happening to me? Because I had never had a panic attack before. Make sure you take care of yourself right now, that's super important.

After my dad died I had dreams for months that he had faked his death to avoid legal troubles. He had never had any legal troubles. Brains are weird.

The one word of consolation I can offer is that it does get better. It's never gonna be quite right, but it does get better.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wanna get all up in that cloaca

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Whalley posted:

NSFW https://www.primalhardwere.com/product/OSP is the clear best eating utensil

no doubt, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

No Wave posted:

I've bought a bottle of kewpie mayonnaise before. You can put it on fried rice, white rice, fried chicken, braised meat, beef liver, chicken breast, chinese leftovers, shrimp, soft shell crab, fish, anything but italian/indian food honestly. If I grew up with it and wasnt self conscious to avoid it it's seriously appealing stuff. I don't think it's healthy that it's a thing that is put on everything ofc.

Ranch I just don't get, it's like mayonnaise without the things i like about mayonnaise.

Source your quotes.